Direct Coupling of the Higgs Boson to the Top Quark Observed

Dolemite

An observation made by the CMS experiment at CERN unambiguously demonstrates the interaction of the Higgs boson and top quarks, which are the heaviest known subatomic particles. This major milestone is an important step forward in our understanding of the origins of mass. Physicists at the University of Zurich made central contributions by incorporating sophisticated data analysis methods that allowed this benchmark to be reached much earlier than expected.

http://www.media.uzh.ch/en/Press-Releases/2018/CMS-Experiment.html

4 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

always be the top quark

top quark is the densest of them all.  dense and powerful chubby indeed.

I am fascinated by physics but way to dumb to get most of it. Math has always been a foreign language to me, but the concepts, I have been able to grasp..... to some degree. The dark matter stuff, and an accelerating universe blows me away.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I am fascinated by physics but way to dumb to get most of it. Math has always been a foreign language to me, but the concepts, I have been able to grasp..... to some degree. The dark matter stuff, and an accelerating universe blows me away.

did you purposefully see what you did there?

yeah, the math when explained by formula I can understand, which helps to cement the concepts and theory to me.  Deriving the solution and filling in the gaps is where I stop and leave the actual physicists to do their jobs.  plus, I always wonder how they came to the solution of what type of machinery can examine the sub atomic levels.   I watched one video last night where they were taking a stream of nitrogen to cool off h2o to create snow flakes on the tip of a really small pin.  how did they figure out the machine itself or even on a larger scale like the cern/LHC?  if we can figure that machine out, why can't we figure out how to make it easier to ghost shit every time or even how to prove that CJK5H or the fact that Bob stoops really does love the penis?

2 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

did you purposefully see what you did there?

yeah, the math when explained by formula I can understand, which helps to cement the concepts and theory to me.  Deriving the solution and filling in the gaps is where I stop and leave the actual physicists to do their jobs.  plus, I always wonder how they came to the solution of what type of machinery can examine the sub atomic levels.   I watched one video last night where they were taking a stream of nitrogen to cool off h2o to create snow flakes on the tip of a really small pin.  how did they figure out the machine itself or even on a larger scale like the cern/LHC?  if we can figure that machine out, why can't we figure out how to make it easier to ghost shit every time or even how to prove that CJK5H or the fact that Bob stoops really does love the penis?

Pretty much yeah I did as I was typing it.  The manufacturing of those machines is something that's pretty cool. You're creating machines that can measure infinitesimally sized objects. The tolerances for the fabrication of those things but be un real.

Wake me up when they explain why the mass of the top quark equals the sum of the masses of the W and Z "particles."

I think that the resonance identified as the top quark is not a quark at all. It does appear that the resonances called W, Z, Top, and Higgs are all related. Most likely they share some common composition and structure in order for them to have similarly high masses. I also suspect there are many more high energy resonances in this group.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 6:48 AM, RayDog said:

Wake me up when they explain why the mass of the top quark equals the sum of the masses of the W and Z "particles."

I think that the resonance identified as the top quark is not a quark at all. It does appear that the resonances called W, Z, Top, and Higgs are all related. Most likely they share some common composition and structure in order for them to have similarly high masses. I also suspect there are many more high energy resonances in this group.

Username.

It checks.