Kitchen shortcuts

jimmyjazz

I'm not a great cook (yet), but I do try to do things the "right way" in the kitchen, at least most of the time.  Some things are just a bit more of a pain than they need to be, especially when shortcuts exist that are just as good.  I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours. 

The first two that come to mind are quick paths to minced/sliced garlic, onions and peppers, and I swear there is virtually no difference between these and fresh produce once they're cooked.  The  garlic cubes are a flash-frozen pastes of garlic, canola oil, water and sea salt, with each cube being the equivalent to a clove of garlic.  There are other brands out there, and Dorot also has similar ginger, cilantro & basil versions that are equally as useful.  I haven't used their parsley, dill, or turmeric.

The frozen onions and peppers are . . . well, they're onions and peppers.

None of these are suitable in recipes calling for fresh produce eaten raw, but if you're gonna cook it, I see no reason to go through the hassle.

image.png.8b3162ef2324d4b0c94a5ced05d60d08.png

image.png.7e89474250d9e459e9565494e1299973.png

• Hook 'Em 1

HEB sells pre-chopped veggies like mirepoix or onion or bell pepper etc. 

Garlic is definitely a pain in the ass and while I prefer fresh garlic just getting minced garlic in a jar isn't a bad time-saver. Canola oil is gross, though. That would be a no-go for me. 

Jarred pasta sauce is obviously a classic shortcut, and some brands are as good or better than anyone would realistically pull off anyway. 

I try to avoid any preservatives, "natural flavors", MSG, yeasts, etc. but those I posted are pure.  I can't taste any difference.

Some pantry tomatoes are nothing but tomatoes -- POMI, some Cento, and while I wouldn't use them in a fresh salsa I can't really tell on cooked recipes.

Just now, ztejas said:

HEB sells pre-chopped veggies like mirepoix

They sell mirepoix?  I swear I scoured the freezer section and couldn't find any.

Jarred pasta sauce is obviously a classic shortcut, and some brands are as good or better than anyone would realistically pull off anyway. 

Rao's is one of the few I'll use.  Most of the others have a funk to my taste.  I make a basic marinara with Cento crushed tomatoes, frozen onions, garlic & basil and I think it beats anything in a jar, but I'm not as averse to canola oil as you.  I mean, I simmer it for hours, so maybe that blunts any obvious differences.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They sell mirepoix?  I swear I scoured the freezer section and couldn't find any.

Rao's is one of the few I'll use.  Most of the others have a funk to my taste.  I make a basic marinara with Cento crushed tomatoes, frozen onions, garlic & basil and I think it beats anything in a jar, but I'm not as averse to canola oil as you.  I mean, I simmer it for hours, so maybe that blunts any obvious differences.

Fresh section. My the produce. Lots of different pre-diced stuff for recipes. Jalapeños, onions, tomatoes, mirepoix, etc 

c35aaa91-aae4-461c-b33f-2e181a27d727?w=7

i still sometimes fight with the skins a bit but a garlic press makes fresh garlic easy enough

this is the opposite of what this thread is for, but I also got pretty quick with onions once I learned how to julienne (prime meridian, lop off the top, peel off the whole first layer fuck it life is too short, lop off the root end, radial slices, repeat for the other half). I don't think that takes me more than a minute, maybe minute and a half.

i frequently use ginger paste instead of ginger. when I don't, using a spoon to peel the ginger was a game changer

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Fresh section. My the produce. Lots of different pre-diced stuff for recipes. Jalapeños, onions, tomatoes, mirepoix, etc 

Oh, fresh.  Yeah, that shit's expensive.  I just buy an onion, a carrot and a bag of celery.  Then I have to figure out what to do with all the leftover celery, but we have 2 guinea pigs, so that's an out.

I have been known to buy HEB's fresh pico de gallo.  Often.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

The Cento tomato paste in the toothpaste type tube has been great for not wasting half a can of tomato paste every time a recipe calls for a tablespoon's worth.

Yeah, absolutely.  I currently have some other brand in the fridge.  It's so much better than taking a Tbsp of paste out of a can and throwing the rest of the can away.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, fresh.  Yeah, that shit's expensive.  I just buy an onion, a carrot and a bag of celery.  Then I have to figure out what to do with all the leftover celery, but we have 2 guinea pigs, so that's an out.

I'll freeze celery before it goes bad, if only to use it to make stock later.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah I don't buy it either - it's way more expensive. But, it's in the spirit of the thread. 

I mean, ultimate save time in the kitchen thing is rinse (or even clean!) bowls before their contents dry out. and keep a sprayer of dawn + water to hit counter and stove messes quickly. But try telling my wife that

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If you’re heating up frozen chicken nuggets, French fries, tots, etc., put them in the oven right when you turn it on. By the time the oven gets to temp, they’re only 1-2 minutes away from being done and the browning is much more uniform.

This works with pretty much all frozen foods. I think I used to do this with totinos pizzas. 

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

The Cento tomato paste in the toothpaste type tube has been great for not wasting half a can of tomato paste every time a recipe calls for a tablespoon's worth.

I put any left over paste in a freezer safe container and freeze it. For future uses you can slice off what you need. But I also love the squeeze tube. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

c35aaa91-aae4-461c-b33f-2e181a27d727?w=7

i still sometimes fight with the skins a bit but a garlic press makes fresh garlic easy enough

this is the opposite of what this thread is for, but I also got pretty quick with onions once I learned how to julienne (prime meridian, lop off the top, peel off the whole first layer fuck it life is too short, lop off the root end, radial slices, repeat for the other half). I don't think that takes me more than a minute, maybe minute and a half.

i frequently use ginger paste instead of ginger. when I don't, using a spoon to peel the ginger was a game changer

Peeling garlic is more of a pain then cutting/mincing it imo and I recently got a couple of these that actually work pretty good to quick peel a handful at a time. Just shove them in the tube and roll back and forth along the counter a few seconds. If I'm doing a lot I'll probably still use the bowl and lid method, but this little roller does it quickly and easily for a regular amount.

F42DDDA3-CDFA-42A6-9C3B-057F87F8490D.jpeg

Edited by Covri
Spelling hard
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Covri said:

Peeling garlic is more of a pain then cutting/mincing it imo and I recently got a couple of these that actually work pretty good to quick peel a handful at a time. Just shove them in the tube and roll back and forth along the counter a few seconds. If I'm doing a lot I'll probably still use the bowl and lid method, but this little roller does it quickly and easily for a regular amount.

F42DDDA3-CDFA-42A6-9C3B-057F87F8490D.jpeg

+1 on these little things being all kinds of kickass for about $3.50.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have one of those things somewhere, I should try it again.

I tried the 2-bowl method and completely struck out.

I find it works best with a smaller bowl/plastic container with air tight lid so you can really shake the shit out of it. Just 15-30 seconds of tambourine shaking and most of the garlic is peeled.  Bonus is you can leave the unused garlic in it for like a week before it starts to turn brown. 

45 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If you’re using a garlic press, you don’t need to peel the garlic. It’ll press out of the skin and you can just pull the skin out of the press.

My issue is the garlic press is a pain in the ass to clean and I seem to get less garlic out of it for cooking than the sink gets cleaning it lol

Edited by Covri

Stream of consciousness post here:

We always buy the HEB prepped veggies like peeled garlic, chopped onions, etc. whenever they are on expiration date sale (usually 50% off) and just stick them in our freezer to use later.  Ditto on using the tubes of tomato paste, ginger, and such -- very handy, and no waste.  The frozen basil cubes are very good. There is no need to let any produce go bad -- just freeze it and use it for stock.  We make ice cubes out of any leftover stock.  They can come in handy later.

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, Covri said:

My issue is the garlic press is a pain in the ass to clean and I seem to get less garlic out of it for cooking than the sink gets cleaning it lol

I recently read a Bourdain quote saying something like, If you put your garlic through one of those presses or use the stuff from the jar, you don't deserve to taste garlic.  I laughed.  Then, appropriately shamed, I bought a couple of heads of garlic on my last grocery trip.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Covri said:

The Ikea Koncis garlic press has a removable grate for cleaning, and slightly larger holes than most presses. Wouldn't think it would matter so much, but the removable grate makes cleaning so much easier.

koncis.jpg.91a2bc3a458d25f149b19d0e5c57a9fa.jpg

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Stream of consciousness post here:

We always buy the HEB prepped veggies like peeled garlic, chopped onions, etc. whenever they are on expiration date sale (usually 50% off) and just stick them in our freezer to use later.  Ditto on using the tubes of tomato paste, ginger, and such -- very handy, and no waste.  The frozen basil cubes are very good. There is no need to let any produce go bad -- just freeze it and use it for stock.  We make ice cubes out of any leftover stock.  They can come in handy later.

Those prepeeled garlic packages are a life saver. Especially when making 40 clove chicken. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I just crush it with a knife and 90% of the time, the skin is completely removed 100% of the time.

This. Good knives and a learned set of skills are the most important aspect of cooking.

A "learned set of skills" i.e. being good at cooking? 

11 hours ago, Celery Man said:

The cutting of onions and garlic is fine. The annoying part is peeling the flaky skin, having it blown everywhere, getting pieces stuck on your finger, etc. 

• Like 1

The first thing I learned about cooking was In fourth grade watching Graham Kerr on Tv. Took a clove of garlic and smashed it with a chefs knife. It worked so well and it’s so fast. The hardest thing is finding decent fresh garlic in stores.

I still use McCormick dried minced garlic in bucketfuls, and use the jarred chopped garlic in certain things though I often find it bitter.

A micro plane is a critical tool. It makes zesting a lemon for any dish simple.

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not a great cook (yet), but I do try to do things the "right way" in the kitchen, at least most of the time.  Some things are just a bit more of a pain than they need to be, especially when shortcuts exist that are just as good.  I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours. 

The first two that come to mind are quick paths to minced/sliced garlic, onions and peppers, and I swear there is virtually no difference between these and fresh produce once they're cooked.  The  garlic cubes are a flash-frozen pastes of garlic, canola oil, water and sea salt, with each cube being the equivalent to a clove of garlic.  There are other brands out there, and Dorot also has similar ginger, cilantro & basil versions that are equally as useful.  I haven't used their parsley, dill, or turmeric.

The frozen onions and peppers are . . . well, they're onions and peppers.

None of these are suitable in recipes calling for fresh produce eaten raw, but if you're gonna cook it, I see no reason to go through the hassle.

image.png.8b3162ef2324d4b0c94a5ced05d60d08.png

image.png.7e89474250d9e459e9565494e1299973.png

Find a hole in the wall Mexican meat market ASAP and buy everything from them.

Sauces

Marinated meats

Spices

Etc

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Randalls (when they're open . . . wait, what?) sells a cool package of pre-peeled garlic cloves, but it's broken down into maybe a half dozen smaller sealed packages.  Keeps longer.

Be carefull man.  Shit goes down at the Randalls.