Kitchen shortcuts

jimmyjazz

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been thinking about getting a vacuum sealer for a while now.  We're going through a bit of a culture shock right now, as our younger two have moved out for college over the past year.  I've gone from cooking for as many as 7-10 people (depending on guests and hangers-on) to cooking for just my wife and me on many nights, and it's frustrating how often we just default to some bullshit carry out.  I need to learn how to cook in bulk and freeze for later.

Yeah, this is us. I try to cook smaller quantities but it never seems to taste the same as making a full batch. I need to pull the trigger on a vacuum sealer.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been thinking about getting a vacuum sealer for a while now.  We're going through a bit of a culture shock right now, as our younger two have moved out for college over the past year.  I've gone from cooking for as many as 7-10 people (depending on guests and hangers-on) to cooking for just my wife and me on many nights, and it's frustrating how often we just default to some bullshit carry out.  I need to learn how to cook in bulk and freeze for later.

it pays for itself, absolutely.

smoked meat? i pull chopped beef or sliced brisket out before i serve it and freeze a pound.

soup/chili? make a bigass pot, freeze in a quart container or pyrex, then vac seal.

hatch chili? roast, chop, freeze.

peaches? buy seconds, blanch and slice, freeze.

you can find a bunch of good recipes out there that are basically "mix all this shit together, freeze, vaccum seal and then just drop it all in instant pot or slow cooker"

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I assume the vacuum sealed foods are less prone to freezer burn than those stuck in a Ziploc quarter or gallon "freezer bag"?  

Probably so.  If you store foods in a Ziploc and immerse the Ziploc in water to remove all of the air before closing, it probably works just as well.  

I like to reheat vacuum sealed foods in simmering water.  That is much easier with a sealed bag verses a Ziploc.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I assume the vacuum sealed foods are less prone to freezer burn than those stuck in a Ziploc quarter or gallon "freezer bag"?  

22 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Probably so.  If you store foods in a Ziploc and immerse the Ziploc in water to remove all of the air before closing, it probably works just as well.  

I like to reheat vacuum sealed foods in simmering water.  That is much easier with a sealed bag verses a Ziploc.

even the immersion method doesn't always work for me when doing stuff like chili that is super textured on the top. it makes the whole process easier

if you get one don't buy the pre-cut bags, just buy the rolls (get the one on amazon that has the most reviews, don't remember the brand)

the one i have is just a refurbished food saver and have had it for years

20 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

The majority of the time yes, but in an olive oil, or light tomatoe sauce, I like sliced garlic. 

why don't you add the sliced garlic at the end?  

best way to peel garlic is smashing it with a knife and then removing the skin.  loads easier than cutting ends off or using two bowls or a glass jar.  plus the italians and chinese got it right-  smashed or crushed garlic before slicing/mincing tastes much better.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like the plastic is more expensive than an equivalent Ziploc bag, but if the food is better preserved, definitely worth it.  Plus, I imagine it gets easier to "custom size" with practice.  I'm in.

Much easier.  You just cut as you go, seal one side and then seal the other after the food is in.  You can get various widths as well, which helps for things like a whole brisket, or if you're just vacuum packing a bulk buy of fresh ground beef.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Biggest kitchen shortcut - vacuum sealer.  I cook a lot on the weekends.  I was using the kamado yesterday to make some bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapenos.  Whenever I fire that thing up, I try to cook as much on it as possible.   Ended up smoking 4# of burgers at the same time.  Vacuum sealed 12 burgers to freeze for future meals.  Really nice having smoked burgers in 15 minutes on a weeknight.  Same with pulled pork, pork ribs, brisket, taco meat, fajita meat, picanha, etc.  Vacuum sealer is great with avocados and other fruit as well.

Yep.  I got a chamber sealer about a year and a half ago.  Wish I had done it way sooner.  I use it all the time, for sous vide as well as food storage.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like the plastic is more expensive than an equivalent Ziploc bag, but if the food is better preserved, definitely worth it.  Plus, I imagine it gets easier to "custom size" with practice.  I'm in.

I went the chamber sealer route and then bought my bags from a restaurant supply company.  Just make sure you get bags that can be boiled (for reheating).  Food is definitely better preserved when vacuum sealed vs. ziploc.  

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Much less prone. Freezer burn is basically a dehydration (freeze-drying) process where the moisture in the food sublimates (evaporates) and leaves the food. With zero airspace in the bag, there is no freezer burn as the moisture has nowhere to go. In addition, the heat sealed vac bag is a better barrier than a Ziploc seal, so moisture also takes a very long time to find its way out of the bag.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I went the chamber sealer route and then bought my bags from a restaurant supply company.  Just make sure you get bags that can be boiled (for reheating).  Food is definitely better preserved when vacuum sealed vs. ziploc.  

What model? I think my foodsaver is on it's last legs and I might make the jump to a chamber sealer. 

Great, now I had to go learn about chamber sealers.  I don't think I'll do that, but one review made me concerned about using a vacuum sealer to store liquids like soup, marinara sauce, etc.  Is it tricky to pull that off?  (vacuum sealer, not chamber sealer)

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Great, now I had to go learn about chamber sealers.  I don't think I'll do that, but one review made me concerned about using a vacuum sealer to store liquids like soup, marinara sauce, etc.  Is it tricky to pull that off?  (vacuum sealer, not chamber sealer)

i typically freeze in 1 container (pyrex, deli container, etc) with parchment/wax paper on top then put it in the vac sealer. this works way better in my experience.

i have also done it in a vac seal bag with a couple of extra inches at the top - freeze - then open/trim it to the right size and re-seal.

i just can't justify spending that much on a chamber sealer even though they are amazing.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's a little trickier with a vacuum sealer, but it'll do liquids.  My FoodSaver has a pulse vac mode which allows me to control the vacuum - that is what I use for chili and other liquids.  I might try @NoName's freeze and reseal method too.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is why you use the zester for minced garlic. Takes like 4 seconds and you turn the whole clove into paste. The press basically just extracts the liquid from the garlic, and leaves all the "flesh". I either run it through the zester for minced garlic, or I'll thin slice it very thin for beans, chili, or pastas. 

On a related note, can recipe creators stop measuring garlic in "cloves"? Some cloves are literally 5 times larger than other cloves within a single head. We need to measure them in weight or volume. But not "clove"

44 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

On a related note, can recipe creators stop measuring garlic in "cloves"? Some cloves are literally 5 times larger than other cloves within a single head. We need to measure them in weight or volume. But not "clove"

Just go with average sized clove and eyeball depending on the actual garlic cloves.  No one wants to weight or measure garlic - although I have seen some recipes call for 2 TBS of garlic (which for me is usually 4 cloves - I ain't measuring shit).

On 7/31/2022 at 2:40 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I try to avoid any preservatives, "natural flavors", MSG, yeasts, etc. but those I posted are pure.  I can't taste any difference.

Some pantry tomatoes are nothing but tomatoes -- POMI, some Cento, and while I wouldn't use them in a fresh salsa I can't really tell on cooked recipes.

You poor bastard

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

This is why you use the zester for minced garlic. Takes like 4 seconds and you turn the whole clove into paste. The press basically just extracts the liquid from the garlic, and leaves all the "flesh". I either run it through the zester for minced garlic, or I'll thin slice it very thin for beans, chili, or pastas. 

stop being a pussy and learn to love garlic. 

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I do love garlic. I double the recipe typically. It's just an absurd weight to measure something. 

Honestly, when I'm cooking and it comes to things like onions, bell peppers, celery, carrots, and garlic, I don't want to think about it in grams or cups.  How many onions, peppers, cloves, stalks, or sticks do I need?

For most of what I cook, the answer is 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 2 stalks of celery, 2 carrot sticks, and/or 3--4 cloves of garlic.  Fractions of the aforementioned perishable items are going to end up as Ziplock bag science experiments in my refrigerator if they're chopped up with part of it saved for later.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

Honestly, when I'm cooking and it comes to things like onions, bell peppers, celery, carrots, and garlic, I don't want to think about it in grams or cups.  How many onions, peppers, cloves, stalks, or sticks do I need?

For most of what I cook, the answer is 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 2 stalks of celery, 2 carrot sticks, and/or 3--4 cloves of garlic.  Fractions of the aforementioned perishable items are going to end up as Ziplock bag science experiments in my refrigerator if they're chopped up with part of it saved for later.

I just eyeball my ratios depending on what I’m making but in recipes I want specific measurements in cups and spoons so I understand ratios. I hate it when they say 1 onion, or 4 carrots, or whatever. My produce isn’t uniform. I got onions that go from small to bowling ball.

43 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I just eyeball my ratios depending on what I’m making but in recipes I want specific measurements in cups and spoons so I understand ratios. I hate it when they say 1 onion, or 4 carrots, or whatever. My produce isn’t uniform. I got onions that go from small to bowling ball.

Well, yeah.  Especially if it's a new recipe.  That said, I tend to pick my produce for a degree of uniformity.  I tend to grab mostly medium onions and peppers.  After I've made something a few times, I know what I want.  I'm not dumping a whole onion in something that's asking for 1/4 cup or so, particularly if it's something I've never cooked.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Well, yeah.  Especially if it's a new recipe.  That said, I tend to pick my produce for a degree of uniformity.  I tend to grab mostly medium onions and peppers.  After I've made something a few times, I know what I want.  I'm not dumping a whole onion in something that's asking for 1/4 cup or so, particularly if it's something I've never cooked.

This.  When it calls for a number of anything, it usually says the size (medium onion,  large onion), or if it doesn't, just assume the ordinary size.  If it says 4 carrots, I assume 4 medium carrots.  I can't think of ever being steered wrong that way.

And on garlic, yeah, always round up, in the neighborhood of doubling it.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

microwave your garlic about twenty seconds and it peels easily

Similarly, if a recipe calls for pearl or boiler onions, get a pot of water simmering on a stove, and dunk them in there for about 3--4 seconds.  Much easier to get the skin off after that.  There is little I like to do less than peel about two dozen of those things at a time. 

Also, and unrelated, when it comes to omelets, add your butter to the pan.  Don't add your whipped up eggs until the butter stops bubbling, just before it browns.  The pan is hot enough when the butter stops bubbling.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Similarly, if a recipe calls for pearl or boiler onions, get a pot of water simmering on a stove, and dunk them in there for about 3--4 seconds.  Much easier to get the skin off after that.  There is little I like to do less than peel about two dozen of those things at a time. 

ff0cf1c6-90d6-4642-b5c4-420610df831f.97b67947c0217116609728f791b3dd93.thumb.jpeg.3b4917a18c3d0ad0982ecaa88bd464f8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Cool.  I have not seen those.  But I have a history of being able to sniff out a frozen onion.  So it may not be for me.

If you put them in a soup, or stew, I don't think there's any difference. If you're doing them as a stand alone side dish, which I've never done, I can see where you could taste the difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

If you put them in a soup, or stew, I don't think there's any difference. If you're doing them as a stand alone side dish, which I've never done, I can see where you could taste the difference. 

Reading up on it, I think if they're flash frozen, they're okay.  But if you freeze onions at home, you get a hard sulfur smell, which is probably what I'm remembering when my mom used to chop them up and freeze them for later.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it was on a flight  during the first year of Covid, where everything was as hands off as it could be. I asked if they had any of the flavored sparkling water (bubbly, la croix etc....), and she gave me a can of non flavored sparkling water and one of these: 

image.png.50e6ae8ba8c5f49bb7cc7a075cc8715c.png

I had low expectations, but it tasted pretty much like I had a fresh lime squeezed in there. Its a powder (crystalized lime juice???). So when I got home I ordered a box of 100 from Amazon and I highly recommend. Now obviously, if I have fresh limes around, I'm gonna use those, but if I ever run out or my only lime is old/dried out, I'll just use these rather than run to the store. I honestly cant taste the difference.

So now I keep a few in my backpack, car, etc... for my beverage needs when fresh limes may not be readily available. I actually prefer it  to the lime flavored topo chico type drinks.  I doubt I would use it cooking in a recipe that called for fresh lime juice, because its just  a powder, but it probably would taste the same if you got the portions right and there was already plenty of liquid .

It shows up on HEBs website, but I looked a couple of times and it wasn't at my store, so I just got it on Amazon for like $6  (100 packets). It looks like Sams sells 500 packets for $9 if you want a fuck ton of the stuff. They also have orange, lemon and grapefruit, but I cant speak to those. 

• Hook 'Em 3

So...it seems like the tea pitcher is always empty when I reach for it.  You know, like coming in from mowing or such as that.  Anyhoo..when I make tea for a new pitcher I go ahead and make a backup.  I pour it into a quart jar and put it in the bottom of the frig.  When the pitcher is empty, it's simple to grab and mix the second one.  My thinking is the pot is already out and dirty, might as well put one on standby.   Who wants to wait for tea to boil and then get cool enough not to melt the ice in the glass?

2 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

So...it seems like the tea pitcher is always empty when I reach for it.  You know, like coming in from mowing or such as that.  Anyhoo..when I make tea for a new pitcher I go ahead and make a backup.  I pour it into a quart jar and put it in the bottom of the frig.  When the pitcher is empty, it's simple to grab and mix the second one.  My thinking is the pot is already out and dirty, might as well put one on standby.   Who wants to wait for tea to boil and then get cool enough not to melt the ice in the glass?

Or, the shortcut, just get a pitcher of water and drop a teabag or two in it and put it in the refrigerator.  You'll have cold tea ready for the ice cubes in the glass in a few hours.  No boiling required.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it was on a flight  during the first year of Covid, where everything was as hands off as it could be. I asked if they had any of the flavored sparkling water (bubbly, la croix etc....), and she gave me a can of non flavored sparkling water and one of these: 
image.png.50e6ae8ba8c5f49bb7cc7a075cc8715c.png
I had low expectations, but it tasted pretty much like I had a fresh lime squeezed in there. Its a powder (crystalized lime juice???). So when I got home I ordered a box of 100 from Amazon and I highly recommend. Now obviously, if I have fresh limes around, I'm gonna use those, but if I ever run out or my only lime is old/dried out, I'll just use these rather than run to the store. I honestly cant taste the difference.
So now I keep a few in my backpack, car, etc... for my beverage needs when fresh limes may not be readily available. I actually prefer it  to the lime flavored topo chico type drinks.  I doubt I would use it cooking in a recipe that called for fresh lime juice, because its just  a powder, but it probably would taste the same if you got the portions right and there was already plenty of liquid .
It shows up on HEBs website, but I looked a couple of times and it wasn't at my store, so I just got it on Amazon for like $6  (100 packets). It looks like Sams sells 500 packets for $9 if you want a fuck ton of the stuff. They also have orange, lemon and grapefruit, but I cant speak to those. 

I’m firmly in this camp. Hell I keep a stash in my truck for emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, burns_312 said:

I’m firmly in this camp. Hell I keep a stash in my truck for emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seconded. These aren't fresh from the tree like I had in LA, but they work great in a pinch. Bonus is you can pour the powder into a can as well