Top Chef - London

TonyTexas

Enjoying it so far. Glad Dawn is gone. Please do not bring her back. She can’t work within the confines of the show and it’s irritating the fuck out of everyone. I don’t want to see her in another damn show. Everyone else manages to work within the show. She can’t. I don’t care why. I don’t care that she has something to fucking prove—like completing a fucking dish on time—she may make amazing food but she makes for highly annoying TV. You have the best chefs from all over the world. And I would rather focus on the many that we are all just getting to know and not some Dawn redemption tour. Wasted spot. Catching up on the first two episodes this morning before basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Dawn is as clueless as anyone ever on the show. She defended her horrible dish to the last though she had no clue what she was cooking or even what to call it. Hopefully the infatuation Collichio has with her is over.

Sara pumping to freeze and send home is not something I really needed to see. Just ween your kid. 4 months is plenty.

Next week's quick fire challenge will be to create a dish with Sara's frozen breast milk.

• Like 1

They might as well have a baby food quick fire. Bring in a couple of babies and have them try the food and if a baby spits up ur food you’re eliminated. 

I really do HOPE they do another BLIND elimination challenge. I do believe that judges have their favorites or develop them and it would be cool to have a blind one again.

Rant in spoilers.

Spoiler

I could also see Dawn making it to the last 4/5 episodes because it plays to her strengths. She gets a chance to cook her “world comfort food” in LCK (her words about new restaurant) and Tom can claim victory when she returns to the competition bc she can’t win it without playing the game and she’s a great chef. Gawd I hope not. But I know he’s still on the Dawn train and removing her from the competition NOW where it becomes apparent if he doesn’t do it now she will immediately lose to someone better if it happens later in the season it just means he can help her a lot from soup to nuts in the LCK. JMO folks but they spent a lot of time on her editing wise in first two episodes and it’s Tom’s show.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Rant in spoilers.

Hide contents

I could also see Dawn making it to the last 4/5 episodes because it plays to her strengths. She gets a chance to cook her “world comfort food” in LCK (her words about new restaurant) and Tom can claim victory when she returns to the competition bc she can’t win it without playing the game and she’s a great chef. Gawd I hope not. But I know he’s still on the Dawn train and removing her from the competition NOW where it becomes apparent if he doesn’t do it now she will immediately lose to someone better if it happens later in the season it just means he can help her a lot from soup to nuts in the LCK. JMO folks but they spent a lot of time on her editing wise in first two episodes and it’s Tom’s show.

To make it thru LCK she would have to win like 13 in a row or something.  No way that happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

To make it thru LCK she would have to win like 13 in a row or something.  No way that happens.

Tom loves her. Can we wager on Dawn coming back? LCK is so different from what happens in TC. And while I appreciate why LCK exists (bad execution on on meal and you get “chopped”) it shouldn’t be a place for people who can’t compete within the confines of the show to cook “their own food their way” and skate back into the competition. Like I said Tom loves her. You can see it. It’s his show basically.

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Tom loves her. Can we wager on Dawn coming back? LCK is so different from what happens in TC. And while I appreciate why LCK exists (bad execution on on meal and you get “chopped”) it shouldn’t be a place for people who can’t compete within the confines of the show to cook “their own food their way” and skate back into the competition. Like I said Tom loves her. You can see it. It’s his show basically.

I know he has final say on the outcome and definitely has favorites, but I don’t think he likes her enough to let her win every LCK challenge. I guess we’ll see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The bottom 2 teams both made their beds with their dish selection.  It doesn't take a James Beard award winner to figure out that Fish & Chips and Scottish Egg were both going to be the hardest dishes on the slate to elevate/reinterpret and execute well for ~48 portions.  Amar is lucky he didn't go home for his bone headed lobbying for F&C.  The Thai lady only has herself to blame for the Egg choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bernorange said:

The bottom 2 teams both made their beds with their dish selection.  It doesn't take a James Beard award winner to figure out that Fish & Chips and Scottish Egg were both going to be the hardest dishes on the slate to elevate/reinterpret and execute well for ~48 portions.  Amar is lucky he didn't go home for his bone headed lobbying for F&C.  The Thai lady only has herself to blame for the Egg choice.

Although Mae’s partner also wanted fish and chips. Yeah both those teams were the clear bottom. 

and

Spoiler

No need to worry about Dawn anymore. LCK eliminated 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Really glad Amar survived.  These are some great chefs this season.  I think Buddha could take it all, just because he is very consistent and the judges like his creativity.

Buddha is the Billy Beane of Top Chef but with a title. Not only is he a great chef but he knows how to play the game  better anyone. He’s on the Mount Rushmore of contestants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Buddha is the Billy Beane of Top Chef but with a title. Not only is he a great chef but he knows how to play the game  better anyone. He’s on the Mount Rushmore of contestants. 

I think Richard actually plays the game the best.  I think it was Antonia that said he is the best at bending the challenge to his strengths, which is how you win this.  But Buddha is really good too.

Agreed but I think both bottom teams might not be in the bottom had they simply browned the sausage on the egg or used the right crispy batter. Everyone loved those vinegar fries.

I hate team elimination challenges.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:05 AM, Pig Bellmont said:

Although Mae’s partner also wanted fish and chips. Yeah both those teams were the clear bottom.

Dale had a clear idea for fish and chips though which was a clear difference. May pushed for it, then tried to throw him under the bus (it's a double elimination, what are you doing!)

On 3/25/2023 at 7:26 PM, TonyTexas said:

totally agree. he isn't the MOST creative chef but he is creative, has done is research, has a ton of talent and his execution and plating is pretty flawless.

he's damn good and they are lucky he was willing to come back so quickly

On 3/25/2023 at 7:42 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I think Richard actually plays the game the best.  I think it was Antonia that said he is the best at bending the challenge to his strengths, which is how you win this.  But Buddha is really good too.

i think it's hard to say a guy who last competed on the show in 2010 is hard for me to say is the best ever, just because of the huge increase in talent in the talent pool. i think tom has said multiple times the most talented ever was Paul Qui - they had to edit the season to not make it too obvious who won.

i wrote that then realized about playing the game not the "best ever" - my fault there.

• Hook 'Em 2

They spelled the name of the guest judge's restaurant wrong.  It is the Harwood Arms, not Hardwood.  We had a Sunday roast there before covid and it was amazing.  The Scotch egg they have on the menu is greatness.  He knew right away what they did wrong with the batter.

10 hours ago, NoName said:

i think tom has said multiple times the most talented ever was Paul Qui

Paul was really good but his competition was lacking. The chefs competing these days are of much higher quality. Fewer caterers, sous chefs or line cooks get on the show these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The elimination challenge was really great. Good structure. As for the Quickfire, while I don’t really mind dessert challenges, I have never liked when baking is forced onto the chefs. That’s a whole different skill set. 

Agree. It’s another goofy part of the show. Tom don’t do no baking. But lots of really good chefs have gone home on desserts , which few do. Most do little catering. Or cooking for 6 year olds.

Few run front of house either. I don’t think that should be a part of restaurant wars. Everyone cooks, or make the FoH immune, or make it a LCK stage with the winner progressing.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I would think so as well.^^^

more women than men being eliminated.

Was wondering if it was a dick move by Buddha to use walnuts on his everything salmon dish…because…he does “play” the game.

Ha, didn't think about that.

I thought the elimination was obvious of the bottom 3 though.  Buddha's wasn't that bad and they weren't going to send the other one home for something as complex as a mole when she did something so simple and didn't deliver.

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

If it had been a blind tasting would Buddha have gone home? He has been rewarded for ignoring the challenge instructions in the past to make his food. As I recall he couldn’t make Texas toast in Houston.

You could be right about Houston, but what did he ignore in this challenge?

• Hook 'Em 1