Top Chef - London

TonyTexas

Tom needs to leave as well. The show needs a tweak or two. I think on challenges like last night, instead of the dismissive “we need to get back to Judges Table” just have it right there.

A shitton of Michelin stars around the table and they eat comment go home. Change it to allow those diners to comment and vote, question the chefs, etc. it’s not blind judging but it’s just on that meal.

I think Sara is the best challenger to Buddha. Had she not teamed with Amar on the wellies she might have won that challenge. She knows how to develop flavors and she knows classic technique.
The Mexican chef is out of his element.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

A shitton of Michelin stars around the table and they eat comment go home. Change it to allow those diners to comment and vote, question the chefs, etc. it’s not blind judging but it’s just on that meal.

Judges’ table take hours. I’m sure those people have better things to do. 

For them to be planning their finale menu for a couple years that was some shit. Uhh can you first make a cohesive meal? That was the only charge.

Sara couldn’t fucking edit herself. I’m going to make a Kentucky/Jewish/Southern/French/Creole/Michelin star/down home menu. How bout fucking liver and onions so I can revel in my Paducah Jewishness. Burgoo. Uhhh she made a bowl of fucking beans and cornbread (something I love but…) Ppea cake? Still, would she have won had the liver been cooked? The highly edited discussion certainly played that story (goddammit that liver!)

Gabri showed why he skated by as the next to worst thru much of this. Many of the judges seemed to have little understanding of Mexican food, and the Mexican guest diner seemed amused or annoyed or disappointed by Gabri’s efforts. An homage to old traditional Mexican cuisine…I’ll take the basis of all Mexican food, masa, and instead make a shitty thick burned tortilla of grasshoppers. Burned beans out of a bag. Just a fucking mess.

Amar shit the bed in LCK.

Sara makes very interesting food at her place in Paducah. It sounds like a pretty big place. But like a lot of these chefs at a certain place how much daily cooking is she doing. Buddha is the chef in a 12 seat restaurant in the back of a caviar store in New York doing an 8 course tasting menu every night. Probably with just a sous and a line cook.

• Hook 'Em 2

It really felt like Buddha was competing against some of the amazing dishes he made all season more so than what Sara and Gabri were serving.  Had he been under performing throughout the competition, they would have given him more credit. 

Buddha put out delicious highly elevated food and didn't made any mistakes.  They asked for the chefs to cook their food, and that's what he did.  Kudos to Sara for giving them tasty dishes that they likely don't experience very often, but technique should count for something.  No one's technical skill comes close to Buddha's. 

It's easy for Tom to say after the fact that Sara would have won if she had properly cooked the liver, but I'm not sure I buy it.  We'll never know.  She made a rookie mistake that no Top Chef should make. 

Edited by idigTexas
OU sucks
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

How long do we think this really lasts without Padma?  I can't see Tom sticking around too much longer either.

That's what they said after Katie Lee.

Seriously though, maybe it's just time to end the run. TOC is the place to be for a cooking focused season long competition anyway. Expand that field and/or give more spots to GGG type qualifiers to get in the newcomers/unknowns.

We'll always have memories of Gail's gals to get us through the cold, lonely nights.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/9/2023 at 10:05 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

Tom said on Twitter if Sara's liver was edible she'd have won. 

The comments didn't make it seem close - Buddha's criticisms were tiny nitpicks. 

Very good season. Sad Parma's leaving. 

I don't believe that it was close, that's just Tom trying to make it seem closer/better and a Stinger foe the next time Sara is on the show they can say she was this close to winning.

2 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

That's what they said after Katie Lee.

Seriously though, maybe it's just time to end the run. TOC is the place to be for a cooking focused season long competition anyway. Expand that field and/or give more spots to GGG type qualifiers to get in the newcomers/unknowns.

We'll always have memories of Gail's gals to get us through the cold, lonely nights.

It's not going anywhere. Bet they elevate Gail, which is great. Tweak the concept a little. Give it some time to try and find additional GOOD chefs. 

They should have done the TOC concept a long time ago btw.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

It's not going anywhere. Bet they elevate Gail, which is great. Tweak the concept a little. Give it some time to try and find additional GOOD chefs. 

What is this TOC you all keep mentioning?

They might move Gail over. She has hosted other TC shows; I like her better as the critic than the host. I would like to see the now unemployed Rachel Bonnetta in the Padma role, regardless of whether she cooks or not. She is so fucking Funny and creative, nice to look at.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

They might move Gail over. She has hosted other TC shows; I like her better as the critic than the host. I would like to see the now unemployed Rachel Bonnetta in the Padma role, regardless of whether she cooks or not. She is so fucking Funny and creative, nice to look at.

Had to look her up. That’ll do. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b80dcc6b293cd955668f5d18a7448f58.jpeg

I think they might stay in the family to replace Padma. Both Brooke Williamson and Kristen Kish have done some hosting. A few other names that I’ve seen thrown out there are Nosrat Samin from Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, Gigi Hadid and Chrissy Tiegen, who are foodie models with hosting experience.   

Edited by TonyTexas

Had to look her up. That’ll do. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b80dcc6b293cd955668f5d18a7448f58.jpeg

Watch some of her nfl network stuff. Rachel did all kinds of funny bits and ridiculous songs, and loved poking fun at nfl icons like Rodgers. She was great on the Sunday morning show with Eisen, and was offered Kay Adams slot on GMFB but wouldn’t move to NYC.

Brooke Williams seems entrenched at FN and is a pal of both Guy and Flay. And Kish has said she’s done with competition for a while to focus on her Bourdainy cheffy travelogue show. ( very good if you haven’t watched it). Stephanie Cmar currently works as the head chef for TC behind the scenes and has a solid personality.

I’d rather have new blood across the board. Tom seems bored with it too. I think Hugh Atcheson has the cooking chops as well an acerbic wit to take the main chair.
  • Hook 'Em 1