Al Qaeda leader al-Zawahiri killed in drone attack

Nice Guy Eddie

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/01/politics/joe-biden-counter-terrorism/index.html

The United States killed al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in a drone strike, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter.

Zawahiri, who just turned 71 years old, had remained a visible international symbol of the group, 11 years after the US killed Osama Bin Laden. At one point, he acted as bin Laden’s personal physician.

The US government has not yet confirmed his death. President Joe Biden will speak at 7:30 p.m. ET on “a successful counterterrorism operation” against al-Qaeda in Afghanistan, the White House said Monday.

• Hook 'Em 5

On one hand, I hate global warfare policies that never really seem to solve anything other than feeding the military industrial complex.

On the other, I love that the assholes behind 9/11 don't get to sleep in peace for the rest of the damn lives. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A GQP president instead would gladly host a sportswashing golf tournament hosted by the people who funded the terrorists and murdered a US journalist, while failing to have taken out the AQ bad guys during his time in office.  Hypothetically.

Yeah, what an image that this happens the same weekend that Trump hosts LIV golf. Let's Go Brandon!!!1!

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A GQP president instead would gladly host a sportswashing golf tournament hosted by the people who funded the terrorists and murdered a US journalist, while failing to have taken out the AQ bad guys during his time in office.  Hypothetically.

“Nobody’s gotten to the bottom of 9/11.”

- Dotard four days ago. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Are you suggesting we should’ve just let bin Laden’s Second in Command live out his life in peace?

He's binLaden's second in command? Sure, kill the fuck out of him. 

I'm suggesting that we spike the ball when we do this as though it will change something. It doesn't. But this is where we put our efforts for the folks watching on TV, so we can all cheer.

I wonder if any civilians were nearby, we usually blow up a lot of them. I begin to wonder if we should just hit them with a big paint ball to show what we could do without pissing off the friends and relatives of collateral damage.

Sure, it's fine to kill him. I'd like to see us doing something else as well to nudge the conflict towards something else.

But we like to blow things up. If all you have is a hammer...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm suggesting that we spike the ball when we do this as though it will change something. It doesn't. But this is where we put our efforts for the folks watching on TV, so we can all cheer.

I wonder if any civilians were nearby, we usually blow up a lot of them. I begin to wonder if we should just hit them with a big paint ball to show what we could do without pissing off the friends and relatives of collateral damage.

Sure, it's fine to kill him. I'd like to see us doing something else as well to nudge the conflict towards something else.

You don't know that.  

There hasn't been another "major" terrorist attack on U.S. soil since Bin Laden got Moe Greene'd 

OUR President Joey B.

Survives his assassination attempt from COVID, takes a sip of water, collects his thoughts, and decided to play the hits by taking out the leader of Al-Qaeda's AGAIN.

Didn't even take any troops.

Name another two time Al Qaeda champion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

He had to die. His death was a huge unchecked box since 9/11. Nobody is suggesting that it would mean the end of terrorism. But the men responsible for 9/11 needed to pay. Dubya should’ve taken care of business when he had bin Laden, al-Zawahiri, and their al Qaeda cohorts cornered at Tora Bora in December, 2001 but he let them get away. He also never should’ve declared a “War on Terror” which is as undefined, open-ended, and unwinnable as the “War on Drugs.” It doesn’t change the fact that al-Zawhiri has American blood on his hands and his death is a good thing. It’s cause to celebrate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

Why is mostly the snowflake Democratic presidents who take these guys out?

Because they're short sighted dumbfucks. 

How are we supposed to start up a golf tour with him now?  

Edit: got damn you Brisket

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

You don't know that.  

There hasn't been another "major" terrorist attack on U.S. soil since Bin Laden got Moe Greene'd 

Do you believe a dedicated mujahadeen in the war against the US is deterred by the threat of being martyred?

If we've stopped Al Quaeda it's been largely through law enforcement efforts rather than these missile attacks.

Would any army be destroyed by the killing of a single member in the chain of command including the guy at the top? Would we be stopped in our tracks if the entire Joint Chiefs of Staff were vaporized?

I think this bombing has little impact at all on ongoing Al Quaeda plans which was what my original, simple point was. I'm fine with us killing him, but I really don't care a lot about it when it comes to viewing our conflict with the radical muslims.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He had to die. His death was a huge unchecked box since 9/11. Nobody is suggesting that it would mean the end of terrorism. But the men responsible for 9/11 needed to pay. Dubya should’ve taken care of business when he had bin Laden, al-Zawahiri, and their al Qaeda cohorts cornered at Tora Bora in December, 2001 but he let them get away. He also never should’ve declared a “War on Terror” which is as undefined, open-ended, and unwinnable as the “War on Drugs.” It doesn’t change the fact that al-Zawhiri has American blood on his hands and his death is a good thing. It’s cause to celebrate. 

We're largely in agreement. I don't object to his killing. My remark about ending terrorism alluded to a larger stance about the conflict as stated above in my response to Gil.

I am in profound agreement with you on the vacant notion of a war on terror and it's similar futility to that of the war on drugs.

We like things framed in terms of war. I think that's limiting and ineffective.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Do you believe a dedicated mujahadeen in the war against the US is deterred by the threat of being martyred?

If we've stopped Al Quaeda it's been largely through law enforcement efforts rather than these missile attacks.

Would any army be destroyed by the killing of a single member in the chain of command including the guy at the top? Would we be stopped in our tracks if the entire Joint Chiefs of Staff were vaporized?

I think this bombing has little impact at all on ongoing Al Quaeda plans which was what my original, simple point was. I'm fine with us killing him, but I really don't care a lot about it when it comes to viewing our conflict with the radical muslims.

Dude.  Russia is struggling because of their generals dying.

Meanwhile, the U.S. has a much deeper bench.  We've got hundreds of Colonels that aspire for a star.

Al Queda's got a bunch of illiterate goatfuckers that are willing do die for their cause.  Other than that, not much. 

• Drool 1

54 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The rubes are happy to die for the cause. The top dogs absolutely are not. Same as it ever was

Meanwhile:

Donald Trump, now under scrutiny for his actions inciting the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, made clear over the weekend he’s unhappy with the deal the Biden administration has proposed to secure the release of Brittney Griner, saying the basketball player is “potentially spoiled” and was “loaded up on drugs” when she went to Russia.

Trump — widely considered to be making the initial moves for another run at the presidency in 2024 — made the comments Friday during an interview on “The Clay Travis & Buck Sexton Show,” a podcast for conservatives, when asked by the hosts whether he would have made that deal.

“She went in there loaded up with drugs into a hostile territory, where they’re very vigilant about drugs — they don’t like drugs — and she got caught and now we’re supposed to get her, and she makes a, you know, a lot of money, I guess,” Trump said.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

No. They are true believers. They believe their destination is paradise and that includes the leaders like bin Laden and al Zawahiri. They said what they meant and meant what they said. We could take them at their word. They were very clear about their intentions and the reasons for them.

Before bin Laden and al-Zawahiri, Islamic terrorists were mostly focused on waging jihad against the “near enemy,” the corrupt regimes ruling the countries where they live. It was these two guys who decided to wage jihad against the “far enemy,” the Western imperial powers they thought were the puppet masters. Under bin Laden and his deputy, that became al Qaeda’s mission and it culminated in a major demonstration on 9/11. They really didn’t need to plan another big statement attack since 9/11 kept paying dividends for so long. But we also got serious about cracking their financial networks which made it a lot harder for them to operate. But we also had things like Abu Ghraib which was a great recruiting tool for the jihadists.

It was never a goal of ISIS to conduct large scale operations against the West. They were more interested in inspiring lone Wolf attacks while they focused on waging jihad against the near enemy. I don’t know what the ramifications of the deaths of both bin Laden and al-Zawahiri will be. I just know they both needed to get got. This feels a little like closure. 

29 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

This weekend our former President took blood money from Saudi Nationals to use his golf course 

Our current President took out the leader of the most well known terrorist organization.

Too bad we didn’t get him a day or two earlier. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No. They are true believers. They believe their destination is paradise and that includes the leaders like bin Laden and al Zawahiri. They said what they meant and meant what they said. We could take them at their word. They were very clear about their intentions and the reasons for them.

Before bin Laden and al-Zawahiri, Islamic terrorists were mostly focused on waging jihad against the “near enemy,” the corrupt regimes ruling the countries where they live. It was these two guys who decided to wage jihad against the “far enemy,” the Western imperial powers they thought were the puppet masters. Under bin Laden and his deputy, that became al Qaeda’s mission and it culminated in a major demonstration on 9/11. They really didn’t need to plan another big statement attack since 9/11 kept paying dividends for so long. But we also got serious about cracking their financial networks which made it a lot harder for them to operate. But we also had things like Abu Ghraib which was a great recruiting tool for the jihadists.

It was never a goal of ISIS to conduct large scale operations against the West. They were more interested in inspiring lone Wolf attacks while they focused on waging jihad against the near enemy. I don’t know what the ramifications of the deaths of both bin Laden and al-Zawahiri will be. I just know they both needed to get got. This feels a little like closure. 

Too bad we didn’t get him a day or two earlier. 

This is a good explanation.

I don't think this makes two shits. But I am happy for it - never relent. If true believers (terrorists) want to be martyrs we should always help them.

Edited by Walser
  • Hook 'Em 2

Guy got sloppy once we left the country and once again we prove why we’re the undisputed world champions of exacting long range, precision violence. Apparently the hellfire missiles used eject shrapnel to shred him up rather than traditional explosives to reduce collateral and his family was not injured. 

31 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Guy got sloppy once we left the country and once again we prove why we’re the undisputed world champions of exacting long range, precision violence. Apparently the hellfire missiles used eject shrapnel to shred him up rather than traditional explosives to reduce collateral and his family was not injured. 

Now that's what we need to give to middle school teachers.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Dude.  Russia is struggling because of their generals dying.

Meanwhile, the U.S. has a much deeper bench.  We've got hundreds of Colonels that aspire for a star.

Al Queda's got a bunch of illiterate goatfuckers that are willing do die for their cause.  Other than that, not much. 

Aren't you proving my point that losing the commander of this force won't make much difference? Further, do you, dude, actually believe that a Muslim organization is so different from a Western organization that no "illiterate goatfuckers" have ambitions to lead?

The Romans were wise in always cautioning not to despise your enemy. They're men like you and will fight like you. The embossing of our shields won't scare them.