Kids thrust upon us because parent’s connections

On 8/2/2022 at 1:03 PM, shadow_operative said:

i do not understand the appeal of ben stiller. his funniest roles were heavyweights and Dodgeball, but everything else he's done pretty mediocre-terrible, especially with him as the lead. the guy just isn't funny when he's not playing a one-note, angry, spastic character. zoolander is just not a funny movie. along came polly has maybe two funny lines the entire movie, both given by PSH. meet the parents/fockers are both essentially devoid of laughs, save the volleyball scene. he's just one of those guys who everyone else agrees is pretty great, but i just don't get it.

One of the worst takes I’ve ever read. Wow. 

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

You know who the poster is, right? 

Of course. It had all the hallmarks of one of his posts. “I’m going to take a popular opinion and not caveat anything - just tell everyone how dumb they are. I’m gonna stir up controversy because I want to get into an argument, and feign innocence whenever everyone inevitably attacks me.”

This is an interesting piece on old Hollywood money and nepotism. It tracks with a number of studies that show creative occupations becoming more and more limited to the wealthy. The scale here with Sweeney may be different, but the trend expands beyond Hollywood. 

https://www.vulture.com/article/sydney-sweeney-hollywood-pay-into-it.html

28 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

This is an interesting piece on old Hollywood money and nepotism. It tracks with a number of studies that show creative occupations becoming more and more limited to the wealthy. The scale here with Sweeney may be different, but the trend expands beyond Hollywood. 

Poor Sydney has to keep working because she spends all the money she makes? Uhh, OK.  Just keep showing those tits and you'll get more gigs...

4 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Pretty good read. I think limitation or barrier to entry is especially true of Hollywood. It's less true for, say, the music industry (although artists get shafted to a similar if not worse degree). I don't think it's really true at all for something like comedy.