2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

9 minutes ago, PTINS said:
  5 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Also, Ewers better light shit up or the mullet fucking goes!

E744D86A-758E-4598-AE90-592028A36C77.gif

Ewers is focused, on FB, and doesn't give a rats ass what you think about his hair. 

That’s good. Cause if he goes out and shits himself it’s gonna be hard to pull it off.

43 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Welp I'm pretty sure the entire season is fucked based on the assumed depth chart from the first practice where they're not even in pads and in which the head coach himself says that the depth chart is irrelevant and that everybody is getting the same reps and they're just working on installation. But otherwise, carry on. 

Holy shit the vaginismis is really strong in here today. Get ahold of yourselves. Jesus. 

Mitch I love you but you've been posting some doomsday shit about the Spurs lately. You know you're one of us. 

secret GIF

46 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Welp I'm pretty sure the entire season is fucked based on the assumed depth chart from the first practice where they're not even in pads and in which the head coach himself says that the depth chart is irrelevant and that everybody is getting the same reps and they're just working on installation. But otherwise, carry on. 

Holy shit the vaginismis is really strong in here today. Get ahold of yourselves. Jesus. 

In one non contact practice I have been reduced to a quivering pile of skepticism and despair. Walkons are ahead of LITERALLY EVERY FRESHMAN. What the fuck class did we sign last year?! 

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, immamac said:

https://donate.stripe.com/8wM8wy0kzdGg42Q144

just gonna leave this here - donations are open. 

Is there a "periodic donation" option, where I could, say, drop $X per month?

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Overshown. Duh.

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

It's almost a right of passage.

For God's sake, you're a fan of a nationally-ranked institute of higher education. It's rite of passage, man.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I just think it's funny that anyone thinks this team will win more than 7 games this season. 

Be glad we're like this now. When we're 1-2 after the first three games, you'll be crying for the halcyon days of August.

But yeah. 7 games is about right. We've vastly upgraded our talent level at the positions that take the longest to develop. It's gonna be a couple of rough years until we're looking like a team that might win championships... if we keep improving.

30 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Here ya go.  Added offense and also added PFF overall player grades.  I know several posters on here think the PFF college grades are garbage (and maybe they are) but I figured it was at least one way to stack up past production against rest of depth chart and compared to D1 / Big 12 sample.

image.thumb.png.92a0c50bf948d16acc589ce6303930ae.png

image.thumb.png.6f8ca05c1d60bcb3f1c1b545fa7c24ea.png

Happy Dog GIFonline GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Here ya go.  Added offense and also added PFF overall player grades.  I know several posters on here think the PFF college grades are garbage (and maybe they are) but I figured it was at least one way to stack up past production against rest of depth chart and compared to D1 / Big 12 sample.

image.thumb.png.92a0c50bf948d16acc589ce6303930ae.png

image.thumb.png.6f8ca05c1d60bcb3f1c1b545fa7c24ea.png

Thanks again! 

Where did you get the snaps info....especially the defensive breakdown between run, rush, and cover snaps?

8 hours ago, Humble Beast said:

At the risk of drawing the ire of CTJ and the rest of the board, I have a confession to make. I have no idea who the fuck Chad Wolf is. He sounds made up and I’m not convinced he even exists. 

Chad Wolf is the douchebag rich kid villain from an 80’s teen comedy. One Crazy Summer, Hot Dog: The Movie, or Hardbodies, et al.

6 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Thanks again! 

Where did you get the snaps info....especially the defensive breakdown between run, rush, and cover snaps?

No problem!  And snap count is also from PFF which is helpful-  not sure if I've seen it anywhere else.

6 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Happy Dog GIFonline GIF

Ha... yeah it didn't look so small on my big monitor but just tried to look on my computer and see what you mean.  I added a spreadsheet link in post that should be easier on the eyes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby:

With day one of practice in the books, it’s clear Texas has several major questions that need to be answered before the season’s first game.

- Who will be the starting QB?
- Who and how is Texas going to effectively rush the passer?
- Which of these young, talented offensive lineman are most ready to play?

I’m also personally concerned about the defensive backfield. While the secondary may not be the top of the list, it’s a possible weak spot few are mentioning.

Anthony Cook played a decent nickel in run support a year ago. Now he’s being asked to play an entirely different position and we have no real feel for how well he has taken to it yet under live action.

Jahdae Barron is taking over the nickel role and while I think he will be fine, I’m not sure anyone would categorize him as a difference maker.

Jerrin Thompson is the team’s best safety IMO but he must improve his tackling from a year ago.

At corner, D’Shawn Jamison has plenty of experience but has run hot and cold his entire career. He needs to have a consistent senior season.

The other corner, Ryan Watts, is a bit of an enigma. I have no doubt he will be able to redirect receivers off the line of scrimmage with his long frame. But he was moved from corner to safety at Ohio State for a reason. Will he hold up in a Big 12 that is certain to stress the passing game?

I feel like there are some pieces to the puzzle that can step up. Terrance Brooks, JD Coffey, Jamier Johnson, BJ Allen, Jaylon Guilbeau and Kitan Crawford have the raw materials to play and contribute for Texas. But will any of them be truly ready by the time conference play begins?

The strength of the defense should be stopping the run. That will help the secondary. But a pass rush would better limit downfield exposure.

It’s an interesting thought process here.

How will the secondary hold up in 2022? And how much of it will depend on the defensive front or the abilities of the secondary itself?

I keep hearing Justice Finkley will play this season. A bunch.

The defensive end continues to be a freshman of note.

12 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It has it uses, but sometimes it just a waste of time. It’s funny when you put a kid that earned the right to be the last man off the bench in front of a kid that has the talent to compete for a starting spot. I say that, because everyone knows the deal. It isn’t done like that in all sports. It definitely doesn’t work like that in business. You don’t hire a rock star kid and tell him to be janitor on day one. You don’t bring up the #1 Prospect in baseball and say he is the last man off the bench. I believe in giving the veteran the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes it is just silly. I just think it should be given more thought and be based on the situation. That said it isn’t a big deal. The situation will be rectified in short order

I think it is actually important though, and is kind of a problem.  Yes, we all know Max Merrill will be picking splinters out of his ass in short time period, but it sets the idea that guys who have bled for the program have a leg up and will have first shot at an opportunity. It’s risk averse bullshit and puts the coaching staff in the wrong frame of mind. It’s how we end up with absurdities like Ced Benson not starting until after OU because other guys have bled for the program. 
As you point out- in no other walk of life is this bullshit done, and it has a (minor) cost in doing it here.  
All these guys are on payroll now, how bout we treat them like adults and stop with nonsensical depth charts bc “that’s the way it’s always been done so you can earn your spot hurrr durrrrr”. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Edit-  realized it's pretty hard to see so put it in googlesheet if anyone wants it:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PVwFduvFQ5mHUNm9gNHYBHGy0TN1uj8Z/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=103413962120518164336&rtpof=true&sd=true

image.thumb.png.3c02e5c61f35dbb3901585b1985f0631.png

image.thumb.png.1b99af8cefdc08e673857a4a5bb3ea42.png

If you’d have worked this hard at school Mr. Dell you could have gotten your diploma before you dropped out. 
thanks for the good work man. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby:

With day one of practice in the books, it’s clear Texas has several major questions that need to be answered before the season’s first game.

I’m also personally concerned about the defensive backfield. While the secondary may not be the top of the list, it’s a possible weak spot few are mentioning.

Anthony Cook played a decent nickel in run support a year ago. Now he’s being asked to play an entirely different position and we have no real feel for how well he has taken to it yet under live action.

Jahdae Barron is taking over the nickel role and while I think he will be fine, I’m not sure anyone would categorize him as a difference maker.

Jerrin Thompson is the team’s best safety IMO but he must improve his tackling from a year ago.

At corner, D’Shawn Jamison has plenty of experience but has run hot and cold his entire career. He needs to have a consistent senior season.

The other corner, Ryan Watts, is a bit of an enigma. I have no doubt he will be able to redirect receivers off the line of scrimmage with his long frame. But he was moved from corner to safety at Ohio State for a reason. Will he hold up in a Big 12 that is certain to stress the passing game?

I feel like there are some pieces to the puzzle that can step up. Terrance Brooks, JD Coffey, Jamier Johnson, BJ Allen, Jaylon Guilbeau and Kitan Crawford have the raw materials to play and contribute for Texas. But will any of them be truly ready by the time conference play begins?

The strength of the defense should be stopping the run. That will help the secondary. But a pass rush would better limit downfield exposure.

How will the secondary hold up in 2022? And how much of it will depend on the defensive front or the abilities of the secondary itself?

People actually pay money for this shit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

More from FCB (some sunshine, some clouds)

Spoiler

QUARTERBACK

As I mentioned in my practice report, both Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers threw a bunch of balls right on target during Day 1 of fall camp (with Card getting the first reps with the first team, followed by Ewers as both had a steady dose of reps with the first-team offense).

If you’re going to nitpick the individual performances, during individual passing drills in which passes are thrown to receivers running routes against air, Card overthrew Isaiah Neyor on a 20-yard corner route and overthrew Brenen Thompson on a 15-yard out route.

After practice, Sarkisian said he's watching his quarterbacks' body language.

"I look for body language because sometimes body language is ownership," Sarkisian said. "There's a level of accountability, and that's taking responsibility for your actions. If you miss the throw, are you willing to own it and let the receiver know? Sometimes, that's as important as having a lot of bravado and a lot of confidence, because that, to me, shows you have the confidence that you're willing to accept responsibility for a missed play."

Third-team QB Maalik Murphy showed no effects from the ankle surgery he had in December, and Steve Sarkisian said Murphy “created some big plays today when he was in there. But there’s still a bunch to learn. There were some other plays I’m sure he’d love to have back and some learning experiences, and that’s all part of growth.”

RUNNING BACK

Texas RB Bijan Robinson (Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)

Running backs coach Tashard Choice is really trying to get Bijan Robinson to become a much better blocker and be more physical when it comes to blitz pickup and Robinson’s blocking in general.

If you want to single out an area of play in which Roschon Johnson is WAY ahead of Robinson, it’s blocking, and it’s not even really that close.

Johnson attacks his blocks and dishes out some punishment, while Robinson too often uses his arms and not the explosion in his lower half to pop his blocks upon engagement.

One NFL scout told me Robinson’s ability to be an effective blocker, especially in blitz pickup, is the single biggest knock on Robinson’s game. So, we’ll keep tabs on how Robinson is progressing in this area throughout fall camp.

Jeff Banks said Keilan Robinson is “head-and-shoulders above anyone on this team” in terms of making impact plays on special teams (blocking two punts last year) and will be given a chance to return kicks this season.

Banks said Robinson has added 12 to 13 pounds (even though he’s listed at 185 pounds and was listed at 183 pounds last season) and because of the depth at running back, Banks added, “I don’t feel as worried about him getting banged up.”

Banks listed Robinson and Roschon Johnson as the two most dependable special teams players on the Texas roster.

WIDE RECEIVER

(Photo: © Aaron E. Martinez, Getty)

There’s good news and some not-so-good news here. So, let’s start with the good news: The team’s top three wideouts — Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington and Isaiah Neyor — had about as good of a summer as you could’ve hoped for, according to team sources.

Worthy has stayed hungry, sticky-fingered and slippery in his route running and team sources say they’d be shocked if there was any kind of sophomore slump.

“This kid treats every day like a contract year,” one team source said (in one of the best quotes I’ve heard in a long time).

The bigger story might be Whittington not only spending up to three hours extra per day doing things to take care of his body (massage, hot tubs, cold tubs and yoga), but also Whittington becoming more of a vocal leader.

Whittington commands everyone’s respect and isn’t a guy to be messed with.

Iowa State graduate transfer Tarique Milton has also been a pleasant surprise.

"Tarique is a very mature young man," Sarkisian said. "He definitely has real speed. He's got a really mature approach to the game. He's prepared. He's organized. He's got his life in order, and it shows on the field. He knows what he's doing, and so we're glad to have him for sure."

Now for the not-so-good news: Redshirt freshman Alabama transfer receiver Agiye Hall still has a lot to figure out and needs to figure it out quickly, according to two dialed-in team sources. Let’s just say Hall has already gotten to know the leadership council under less-than-desirable circumstances.

When Sarkisian was asked about Hall after practice on Wednesday, he said, “He’s not a finished product, and that’s OK. I don’t expect our guys to be finished products. But what I do expect is growth, and I think we’re seeing that.”

TIGHT END

(Photo: © Taylor Estes, 247Sports)

Redshirt freshmen Ja'Tavion Sanders and Gunnar Helm are definitely the leaders of this group (more on Alabama transfer Jahleel Billingsley in a moment), and tight ends coach Jeff Banks revealed an interesting nugget about Sanders on Tuesday.

Banks said Sanders was challenged early in spring ball to be more physical and has responded.

“Learning the offensive pass plays and being able to move defenders on the line of scrimmage — those are two things that he just couldn’t catch up fast enough,” Banks said.

“The first five days of spring ball, we were still upset a little bit at his lack of physicality. And, quite frankly, he took that challenge and exceeded our expectations.

“The next 10 practices, I don’t think he dropped a ball, and he was moving defenders and holding his own in the ‘C’ area, which is what we need. He’s provided leadership at a young age. He’s a see-how-I-do-it-follow-me guy. He’s not necessarily a rah-rah guy. But he is vocal when he needs to be, and that’s uncharacteristic for that young of a player. So, with JT (Sanders) and then Gunnar (Helm) next two him, they provide us some much-needed in-line blocking at 245 (Sanders) and 255 (Helm).

“That makes me sleep better at night, knowing we have two kids that were in this program last year that are developing, and we think they can hold their own against the best teams we’re gonna play.”

Think about that last line for a second and picture Alabama’s Will Anderson and Dallas Turner lining up nose-to-nose with Sanders and Helm. High praise from Banks.

Now for some not-so-good news regarding Alabama transfer flex tight end Jahleel Billingsley. I’m hearing from team sources, he hasn’t shown the kind of fire coaches were hoping for.

“Point blank, he’s lazy,” one team source said.

On Wednesday, Billingsley took himself out of practice with what appeared to be a tight hamstring.

Banks said of Billingsley, “He’s shown signs of what he did at Alabama. He’s got to prove it to us the next 30 days that he’s going to continue to grow.

The team’s redshirt freshman flex tight end — Juan Davis — has recovered from a hamstring injury that hampered him all spring and “has had a heck of a summer and looks much better and fully confident post-injury,” according to Banks.

OFFENSIVE LINE

(Photo: © Taylor Estes, 247Sports)

Most of the best nuggets on the offensive line were in my quick hitter practice report from Day 1, including freshman Connor Robertson getting some work at center with the ones (when Jake Majorsappeared to cramp).

Freshman Devon Campbell also got some work at center.

The first-team offensive line on Day 1 of camp was Andrej Karic at left tackle, Junior Angilau at left guard, Jake Majors at center, Hayden Conner and freshman Cole Hutson at right guard and Christian Jones at right tackle.

Late in practice, there was an all-freshman line that consisted of Kelvin Banks at left tackle, Malik Agboat left guard, Robertson at center, Campbell at right guard and big Cameron Williams (6-foot-7, 374 pounds) at right tackle.

On Robertson, Sarkisian said:

"Connor played tackle in high school but yet he has an interior lineman kind of skill set. But the fact he had the movement skills to be able to play tackle in high school, I think shows his versatility and ability to move.

"He's obviously a very smart player who comes from a great program (Austin Westlake). So we're excited about his growth potential and his work ethic. I think he's come in with a really good mindset this summer. He's driven, focused and competitive."

Former Westlake coach Todd Dodge told me Robertson is one of the most reliable, accountable, respected players he's ever coached and will be very surprised if he's not an impact player at Texas sooner rather than later.

I was told the coaches wanted to look at Robertson at center immediately, and that's exactly what's happening. There's no doubt coaches want to get stronger at center and are hoping Majors' offseason work helps (he's listed at 6-foot-3, 315 pounds after being listed at 310 pounds last season).

DEFENSE

(Photo: John Rivera/Icon Sportswire , Getty)

Sarkisian is spending more time with the defense this camp, even structuring the weight lifting schedules of the offense and defense, so that he can be in both units’ meetings.

"I definitely want more of a presence, and I spoke to the defense last night about it," Sarkisian said. "I want them to feel my presence and the style of play that I would like for us to play defensively, and I think they need to hear that from me — along with PK (Pete Kwiatkowski), (Jeff) Choate and T Joe (Terry Joseph) and Bo (Davis) and Blake (Gideon). I need to be involved with those guys and be able to coach them when we're on the field as well."

DEFENSIVE LINE

(Photo: © Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)

Based on multiple conversations with team sources, sophomore Byron Murphy is now considered by the coaches as the top interior defensive lineman on the team.

Defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski said Tuesday he felt the “interior line” would be the strength of the defense and mentioned Murphy’s name first.

“Murphy is a young guy who has really come on,” Kwiatkowski said. “He’s very, very talented and explosive.”

Honestly, I’ll believe anything else said about the defensive line when I see it. But I’m told Kwiatkowski is also a big fan of Moro Ojomo’s versatility.

I was told Wednesday when Bo Davis was approached by Brian Kelly at LSU this off-season, Davis not only got a raise from $900,000 to $1 million annually, but was assured by Sarkisian that he’d be allowed to coach UT’s linemen “in the style he wants to coach.”

“I think you’re already seeing Davis hold these guys more accountable,” one team source said. “There’s no doubt this group underperformed last year. And I think Davis was embarrassed.”

What’s interesting is Kwiatkowski was a defensive line coach for much of his career before becoming the defensive coordinator for Chris Petersen at Boise State and Washington.

Sarkisian even mentioned this when I asked him if he helped set up the off-season meeting between Kwiatkowski and Dallas Cowboys’ defensive coordinator Dan Quinn (who had Sarkisian as offensive coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons in 2017 and 2018).

“DQ (Quinn) and I obviously go way back, even prior to when we were in Atlanta,” Sarkisian said. “He was in Seattle when I was at the University of Washington, developed a great relationship - and then, obviously working for Dan for two years in Atlanta.

“I think Dan’s an excellent teacher. I think he does an awesome job of conveying his message. But I also think there’s a unique connection between he and PK (Kwiatkowski) in that they’re both defensive front guys.

“Dan is a D-line specialist. PK is a D-line and edge specialist. And so the idea of installing the ideal game planning, the ideal calling of the defense in-game - from a front perspective - I think we all can continue to grow. It’s no different than me going to meet with (Los Angeles Rams’ coach) Sean McVay. I never feel like I’m not trying to grow and get better and improve. And, PK is no different. He’s 55, and he’s meeting with one of the best in the NFL right now and finding new ways and new techniques to motivate, to scheme, to instill fundamentals and techniques in our defense and the style of play we all want him to have.”

LINEBACKERS

(Photo: Aaron E. Martinez/American-Statesman, USA TODAY Sports)

We’ve spent a lot of time the last few weeks talking about the emergence of weakside linebackers David Gbenda and James Madison transfer Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey, allowing DeMarvion Overshown to move to strongside linebacker in UT’s base defense and rush the passer/shoot gaps.

When the defense is in nickel, Overshown is still the team’s weakside linebacker.

Everyone on the team, it seems, is anticipating a big year from junior middle linebacker Jaylan Ford.

“Jaylan Ford has had a really good offseason mentally and physically,” Kwiatkowski said.

I had one team source say Ford is now among the handful of players the team can least afford to play without - “along with whoever wins the QB job, Byron Murphy, Anthony Cook and anyone who can upgrade Texas at offensive tackle.”

Sarkisian said with the move of Jett Bush and Devin Richardson to middle linebacker, backing up Ford, as well as the emergence of Tucker-Dorsey, "I feel a lot better (about linebacker) than I did three months ago."

SECONDARY

(Photo: © Taylor Estes, Horns247, 247Sports)

The secondary is without a doubt the biggest concern on the defense and is a very close second to the offensive line as the biggest concern on the team heading into the 2022 season.

While coaches feel good about Anthony Cook’s move from nickel to boundary safety as well as Jerrin Thompson’s improvement at field safety, the coaches really won’t know how these two can handle adjustments and adversity in-game until they experience it.

Kitan Crawford isn’t processing information quickly enough at field safety and needs to come on.

The depth behind those three at safety is even less experienced. Coaches are excited about the upside of freshman Bryan Allen Jr., but he’s not ready yet. As I reported in the Morning Brew this week, coaches looked but didn’t have success in finding an experienced safety in the portal.

At cornerback, the first-team field corner on Day 1 of fall camp was fifth-year senior D’Shawn Jamison, and the first-team boundary corner was Ryan Watts.

Freshman Jaylon Guilbeau, who might’ve had the best summer of any corner on the team, was absent from practice Wednesday “with a personal issue, but will be in practice tomorrow,” Sarkisian said.

Jamier Johnson was backing up Jamison in Guilbeau’s absence. Coaches like Johnson and hope he and Guilbeau can keep coming on.

Terrance Brooks is backing up Watts at boundary corner.

Jahdae Barron continues to work as the first-team nickel while being backed up by Austin Westlake walk-on Michael Taaffe, a two-time state championship game defensive MVP.

“Taaffe is going to play this season,” one team source said. “Great instincts. Plays fast, because he knows where he’s going. Always around the ball.”

While Sarkisian has said he wants to play tighter coverage with more man-to-man on the outside, it remains to be seen if UT’s corners can be effective in man coverage. Kwiatkowski didn’t think they could hold up last season (and that was WITH NFL combine invitee Josh Thompson at boundary corner), so Kwiatkowski relied almost exclusively on zone coverage.

We’ll just have to watch and see. But Guilbeau appears to be the corner coming on the strongest as camp begins.

SPECIAL TEAMS

(Photo: © Taylor Estes, Horns247, 247Sports)

I wrote about redshirt freshman punter Isaac Pearson and freshman kicker Will Stone in Wednesday’s Morning Brew. Check it out.

The Cliff’s Notes version from special teams coordinator Banks on Pearson:

“He’s little bit of an overworker. He used to work in a coal mine in Australia. That’s what he did after high school, and that’s how tough he is.

“But there’s a point where your leg can get tired from working too much. So he’s working smarter now. He’ll be one of the top three players mentioned when you ask for the hardest workers on the team.”

Banks said Texas will be adding a walk-on punter to provide depth behind Pearson.

On Stone replacing Cameron Dicker on field goals and kickoffs:

“Cameron Dicker was phenomenal. I don’t know that we can replace all that. I’m not looking at our guys comparing them to Dicker. He’s gone. He’s on the Rams. Now, we’ve got to protect our young guys by not putting them in positions they’re not comfortable with.”

Banks has also identified some young guns he plans to count on in special teams, including redshirt freshman safety Morice Blackwell and freshman linebacker Trevell Johnson.

“Those are guys whose high school film showed they were playmakers on special teams,” Banks said.

“I’m fired up about Mo, because Mo had a little taste on scout team last year, and he came downhill and was super physical,” Banks added.

“When we signed him, we weren’t sure if he was a true star (nickel) or a safety. We started him off at star and now he’s flourishing at safety and has been off-the-charts this off-season. We need him to make plays for us this year (on special teams). We lost Brenden Schooler, and I see Mo as a guy who can step into that role and help us.”

6COMMENTS

Look for Brenen Thompson, Savion Red and Tarique Milton to get looks in the return game.

Sarkisian said Wednesday he doesn't want to use as many front-line starters on special teams as Texas used last year.

"I felt like a year ago we were relying on too many frontline starters on too many special teams," Sarkisian said. "I'm a starting WILL linebacker, but I'm starting on three or four special teams. One, maybe two. But we need to develop our younger players so that they can have an impact, and we can know we can trust them on teams."

Sarkisian said he'll use the first 10 days of fall camp "as competition" to determine which young players give the team the best impact on special teams.

• Hook 'Em 3

It's all footwork and hands right now. They are basically reporting the order in which players are doing drills - not a real depth chart. You want your seniors doing drills first so the newer guys can see the drill multiple times and absorb more coaching points.

Collins is swapping positions or at least cross-training, so it makes some sense for him to be last.  Don't know what it might mean for Sweat.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby:

image.gif.1e50f3ea7df4b9e6aa115b022149f07a.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think it is actually important though, and is kind of a problem.  Yes, we all know Max Merrill will be picking splinters out of his ass in short time period, but it sets the idea that guys who have bled for the program have a leg up and will have first shot at an opportunity. It’s risk averse bullshit and puts the coaching staff in the wrong frame of mind. It’s how we end up with absurdities like Ced Benson not starting until after OU because other guys have bled for the program. 
As you point out- in no other walk of life is this bullshit done, and it has a (minor) cost in doing it here.  
All these guys are on payroll now, how bout we treat them like adults and stop with nonsensical depth charts bc “that’s the way it’s always been done so you can earn your spot hurrr durrrrr”. 

Just ny opinion, but this is one of those things that is in the coaching handbook. It seems almost all college football coaches do it, because that is what has been done. 

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just ny opinion, but this is one of those things that is in the coaching handbook. It seems almost all college football coaches do it, because that is what has been done. 

Sure. And, just going to throw this out there, most college coaches are meatheads. The few that are actually disruptive or innovative typically come from a different background and the rest of them are typically the best of the PE majors. Usually things like this that are done “bc that’s the way we always have” that don’t fit best practices from other walks of life are counter productive and stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, JBJ said:

It's all footwork and hands right now. They are basically reporting the order in which players are doing drills - not a real depth chart. You want your seniors doing drills first so the newer guys can see the drill multiple times and absorb more coaching points.

Collins is swapping positions or at least cross-training, so it makes some sense for him to be last.  Don't know what it might mean for Sweat.

For me it just a red flag. Those are 2 of most talented DL. Both have had questions about their motors. Prior to camp, I thought those 2 guys would set the ceiling for the DL and Texas needed one of them to play to their potential.  You would love them to be 1st string and coaches talking them up. It’s day one, so nothing is set in stone, but this isn’t the sign I was hoping to see. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Explosive but not efficient Offense in 2021.

Time of possession (TOP) problem in 2021.

• Games Texas won TOP     Record  4-0
  • Games Texas lost TOP      Record  1-7

Texas on avg possessed the ball only 28 minutes per game in 2021.

Texas was 110th in TOP last year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

IT practice notes. 3-4 defense is interesting. Would be big if Tucker Dorsey grabbed a starting spot next to Ford.

Spoiler

Based solely on the first practice, the first person mentioned to IT was senior cornerback D’Shawn Jamison who had three interceptions on the day. One pick came during 7 on 7 and two picks occurred during team. His best interception was when he used his eyes and jumped a route he wasn’t covering. 

That brings us to quarterback play. Hudson Card had the better first practice. I believe he threw one pick to Jamison with Quinn Ewers throwing two. 

Despite the picks, the day was said to be about 50/50 during passing sessions between receivers and defensive backs. Receivers mentioned were Ja’Tavion Sanders who made some quality receptions, including a touchdown, as well as Isaiah Neyor who did the same. Both of those TD’s were thrown by Card. We’re unsure if Ewers threw some TD’s. 

The first practice is pretty meaningless, especially since they’re not in pads. It’s important to note spring ball started off similarly before Ewers began to turn it on.

Overall they ran a surprising amount of plays during team work, but since they weren’t in pads, it’s tough to glean anything from the run game, run defense, etc.

First practice is always used for basic install and recapping the early days of spring ball. The offense was largely in 12 personnel with Sanders playing for a handicapped Jahleel Billingsley. Gunnar Helm joined Sanders with the first team.

Defense showed a lot of base 3-4. There’s some optimism transfer Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey could solidify the ILB position next to Jaylan Ford. This of course would allow De’Marvion Overshown to play more outside. Tuck is already known for good communication, good study habits, hard work, and a generally good attitude.

That’s about it for now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Explosive but not efficient Offense in 2021.

Time of possession (TOP) problem in 2021.

• Games Texas won TOP     Record  4-0
  • Games Texas lost TOP      Record  1-7

Texas on avg possessed the ball only 28 minutes per game in 2021.

Texas was 110th in TOP last year.

It seems to make sense that when your offense is explosive, it doesn’t hold on to the ball very long per possession. And when your defense is bad, your opponent keeps the ball longer per possession unless they are all similarly explosive. Those two things would naturally lead to loss of TOP over the course of a game. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT practice notes. 3-4 defense is interesting. Would be big if Tucker Dorsey grabbed a starting spot next to Ford.

Reveal hidden contents

Based solely on the first practice, the first person mentioned to IT was senior cornerback D’Shawn Jamison who had three interceptions on the day. One pick came during 7 on 7 and two picks occurred during team. His best interception was when he used his eyes and jumped a route he wasn’t covering. 

That brings us to quarterback play. Hudson Card had the better first practice. I believe he threw one pick to Jamison with Quinn Ewers throwing two. 

Despite the picks, the day was said to be about 50/50 during passing sessions between receivers and defensive backs. Receivers mentioned were Ja’Tavion Sanders who made some quality receptions, including a touchdown, as well as Isaiah Neyor who did the same. Both of those TD’s were thrown by Card. We’re unsure if Ewers threw some TD’s. 

The first practice is pretty meaningless, especially since they’re not in pads. It’s important to note spring ball started off similarly before Ewers began to turn it on.

Overall they ran a surprising amount of plays during team work, but since they weren’t in pads, it’s tough to glean anything from the run game, run defense, etc.

First practice is always used for basic install and recapping the early days of spring ball. The offense was largely in 12 personnel with Sanders playing for a handicapped Jahleel Billingsley. Gunnar Helm joined Sanders with the first team.

Defense showed a lot of base 3-4. There’s some optimism transfer Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey could solidify the ILB position next to Jaylan Ford. This of course would allow De’Marvion Overshown to play more outside. Tuck is already known for good communication, good study habits, hard work, and a generally good attitude.

That’s about it for now.

You see Ian Boyd’s edge recruiting stuff? Kind of funny he mentioned Michigan last year considering people who follow Michigan said they ran a 4-2-5 that showed various fronts while Ian said their 2-4-5 was the best he saw 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It seems to make sense that when your offense is explosive, it doesn’t hold on to the ball very long per possession. And when your defense is bad, your opponent keeps the ball longer per possession unless they are all similarly explosive. Those two things would naturally lead to loss of TOP over the course of a game. 

I think not being able to complete the middle stuff in Sarks offense last year was a key in that. We had to rely on the deep big play way more than we should have. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah, but Texas has to find a way to win "time of possession" a lot more often during 2022 in order to win 8+ games this year.  

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

The hand wringing over Freshman being at the bottom of the depth chart on the first day of practice is absurd. People here, on this site have been complaining for years about the poor culture of this football team. The current coaching staff is trying to instill a culture of earn what you get and people are on open arms about it. Everyone understands that Max Merrill will be behind these guys on the depth chart soon but in no way shape or form should he be behind them when they put on a jersey for the first time on the practice field. You want to build a program and culture from the ground up, you start at the ground with everyone. It is a process, a procedure. It is what it is and it is what it should be. Let the process work itself out because it will and there is no amount of bitching and moaning that will change it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You see Ian Boyd’s edge recruiting stuff? Kind of funny he mentioned Michigan last year considering people who follow Michigan said they ran a 4-2-5 that showed various fronts while Ian said their 2-4-5 was the best he saw 

Did not see that, but the 2-4-5 and 4-2-5 have a ton of overlap. Of course when you have guys like Hutchinson and Obajo you can do whatever the hell you want.

Mixing in more 3-4 this year makes sense given our personnel.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think not being able to complete the middle stuff in Sarks offense last year was a key in that. We had to rely on the deep big play way more than we should have. 

I think it has more to do with the fact that this offense last year was either going 3 and out or driving 80 yards down the field with little resistance. Seemed like there were very few drives where they got a few first downs then stalled out.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Poster on IT who’s posted good info in the past:

My guy said Jamison actually had four picks. He also said Ewers hit a lot of deep balls while Card struggled deep. And that one of Ewers' two picks was on Red for quitting on his (poorly run) route.

Dude has pretty good source on the team. Had a lot of good info last season. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Poster on IT who’s posted good info in the past:

My guy said Jamison actually had four picks. He also said Ewers hit a lot of deep balls while Card struggled deep. And that one of Ewers' two picks was on Red for quitting on his (poorly run) route.

This is more believable than the Boyd article. Boyd seems like a Card homer.

• Like 1