2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

Just now, Longhornlove said:

We should use the players' composite ranking. For instance, VY should have been named the starter for the next season as soon as he signed his NLI because he had a perfect composite score.

Aren’t Ewers and Arch both composite 1.000 guys?   And this opens things up for corruption. “Hey ketch here’s a bucket of wings from pluckers how about you bump me up to a .9234?”

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Aren’t Ewers and Arch both composite 1.000 guys?   And this opens things up for corruption. “Hey ketch here’s a bucket of wings from pluckers how about you bump me up to a .9234?”

Arch dropped to .9999 after ESPN dropped him below the USC commit 

edit: in 2005 ESPN and the heisman committee crowned a USC player over a Texas QB and look what happened. Coincidence? I hope not

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Explosive but not efficient Offense in 2021.

Time of possession (TOP) problem in 2021.

• Games Texas won TOP     Record  4-0
  • Games Texas lost TOP      Record  1-7

Texas on avg possessed the ball only 28 minutes per game in 2021.

Texas was 110th in TOP last year.

We just couldn't get a stop when we really needed one. Fuck, how many 3rd down conversion did we give up, when we really needed a stop.  Felt like every game last year we couldn't stop a team if we wanted to. Rage. RAGE. FUCKING RAGE!

5 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Our offense also stagnated and generated 3 and outs at an alarming rate. It was boom or bust.

Yes, after some injuries as previously posted, but the defense not even being able to stop the opposing O was more frustrating to watch. 

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We added one ILB to our front 7 from last year. The same front 7 that got dominated in the majority of games last year. Ovie is still a starting edge. 
There’s no basis for concluding this defense should be strongest against the run.

Completely agree, and they tried to say our run D would be a strength last year and it wasn't even close. I'm looking at you, Collins. $9.95'ers last year pumped this and it never came true, which is why I'm still not buying any of it until I see it with my own eyes.

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s hot  tubbing, cold tubbing, working with a masseuse and doing Yoga. That’s all the stuff he should have been doing for years. If he still ends up on the shelf it will never happen. 

That's great and all, but I also watched Roy Williams do zero stretching, even got yelled at by a coach to stretch more, then proceeded to abuse any corner that tried to stop and or take the ball from him on the way to the end zone. Whittington has the tools but his body just can't seem to take the punishment of CFB. Hope I'm wrong, but...

4 hours ago, MoJames said:

Hey we need a place to see all these bets and comment on them as the season progresses. First bet needs to have futureman fisting himself if when he loses.

FIFY

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Btw, the freshmen OL will obviously climb the depth chart, but Ovie starting for real and Taaffe and Bush in the 2 deep for real are Exhibits A-C in the inevitable “Why didn’t we see this coming?” thread in a couple of months.  Well, actually the worst might be the $9.95ers setting expectations for the run defense being the strength of the defense, but I can’t process how bleak that is so I’m going to compartmentalize that for now and just say Burton is off his rocker.

This is again my biggest fear for the D. The run D should be the strength but we need a legitimate group of players to step up their game for that to come to fruition. That being said, my win total for the regular season is at 8 with the bowl giving us a chance at 9 wins. We need to see a bowl this year. Anything less than that would be a disappointing season, imo. 

Bobby Burton on today’s practice 

Spoiler

The QB battle is the big one of fall camp.

In watching workouts this afternoon, I’m of the opinion that Steve Sarkisian has an interesting choice ahead of him.

Hudson Card clearly has crisper footwork. He’s faster and quicker in his movements to get to throwing position. It may be only a slight difference between the two QBs, but there’s a definite difference in favor of Card on nearly every set.

At the same time, Quinn Ewers often has better ball placement underneath, intermediate and deep. He also varies speeds of the ball much better. He can zip it and he can put air underneath it, both with above average accuracy.

I watched the QBs, WRs and OLs primarily so that’s what I’ll talk about the most.

Who has the best hands on the team?

Troy Omeire. He catches the ball effortlessly.

His route running remains a work in progress given his previous injuries. But he is significantly further along than Jaden Alexis, who also suffered a knee injury, in that regard.

Agiye Hall dropped multiple passes and did not run crisp routes. Perhaps it was just an off day for the Bama transfer or just an early season adjustment, but I can’t imagine he will grade out well in coach’s tape.

I was not expecting Malik Agbo to look as good as he did. He has lost some weight and is already adding definition. He’s also deceptively quick for such a big guy.

In all, the freshman OLs are as advertised.

Kelvin Banks, Cameron Williams and Agbo are the team’s three biggest OLs and all of them are keepers IMO. Cole Hutson and Campbell are a tad smaller but perhaps quicker. Neto Umeozulu seems to be struggling with conditioning somewhat.

I liked what I saw from Jordan Whittington, Xavier Worthy and Isaiah Neyor.

Worthy just moves differently than everyone else. Neyor is a great deep threat. Whittington had a one-handed grab up the seam from Ewers. It was perhaps the prettiest pass play I saw.

The first team OL did not look particularly imposing. Perhaps that’s no surprise. Physically, the third team OL looked better.

Of course, looks aren’t what counts. But the physical discrepancy there is significant.

Put this in the bucket of good news.

Savion Red and Brenen Thompson both have natural hands.

Red could very well be the starting punt returner. He didn’t juggle or misjudge any punts, and I saw him grab five.

Thompson could be an absolute killer on option routes out of the slot to the outside. He snatches the ball easily and gets upfield.

I feel like Texas probably has two future NFL QBs on the roster. But they are also the two youngest in Ewers and Maalik Murphy.

Murphy is very talented and routinely has good ball placement but his footwork can be sporadic. He is a very strong developmental prospect IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

I am on record saying my comp for Ewers is Mahomes with their playing style. Compare what BB said to Mahomes' draft profile. Let's hope Sark doesn't overthink the intangibles like the NFL did in 2017

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hudson Card clearly has crisper footwork. He’s faster and quicker in his movements to get to throwing position. It may be only a slight difference between the two QBs, but there’s a definite difference in favor of Card on nearly every set.

At the same time, Quinn Ewers often has better ball placement underneath, intermediate and deep. He also varies speeds of the ball much better. He can zip it and he can put air underneath it, both with above average accuracy.

As a passer, Mahomes can make all the throws that the NFL requires. He has a powerful arm to throw some bullets to the far sideline from across the field. Throwing the deep out is no problem for Mahomes. He can loft the ball deep down the field with a flick of the wrist and rifle fastballs that beat coverage. To further illustrate his arm strength, he sits at a 93 MPH fastball as a baseball pitcher. Mahomes is an accurate passer in the short to intermediate part of the field. He can make some well-placed passes into tight windows to beat quality coverage from the defense. The junior also has the ability to throw soft touch passes, lofting the ball over defenders and leading his receivers to hit them on the run. Mahomes has excellent feel and awareness with where to go with the ball as a passer. He also adjusts his arm angle or his feet to complete passes.

Mahomes is going to need to learn how to work under center, call plays in a huddle, and develop his footwork to make drops from being under center. His college offense featured a lot of quick throws, screens, and designed runs that don't translate to the NFL.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017pmahomes.php

• Hook 'Em 3

Jeff Howe

Spoiler

— One of the first drills the team went through was a ball security drill and I was focused on the defensive backs trying to rip the ball away from a wide receiver. There were more than a few balls that popped loose, but one of the more impressive strips was Austin Jordan prying one out of the hands of Agiye Hall.

— It’s dangerous to make assumptions based on what can be seen in a small window of practice. With that as the backdrop, for whatever it’s worth, the ball coming out of Hudson Card’s hand during routes on air seemed to get away from the receiver in the form of overthrows. It’s not that Card was inconsistent or erratic, but through the first two days of camp where the media has been able to watch the quarterbacks throw, it’s seemed like Quinn Ewers has had fewer of those types of throws. For the second day in a row, Card was the first quarterback up when the group was running through drills.

— Savion Red is a guy who was noticeable on the first day of practice on the hoof. He made one of the most significant plays of the routes-on-air period that resulted in an incomplete pass when he sold out for a ball over the middle and pounded the turf with his first when he couldn’t come up with what could’ve been a tough catch.

— It’s hard to truly appreciate Brenen Thompson’s speed in this type of setting. With that said, it’s evident that he’s got a gear nobody in the room outside of Xavier Worthy has when watching him glide all over the field with the ball in his hands.

— Jahleel Billingsley wasn’t a full participant during the viewing window for the second day in a row. Sarkisian said after Thursday’s practice that Billingsley was dealing with hamstring tightness.

— Neto Umeozulu, who worked with the left tackles in individual on Wednesday, was with the right tackles on Thursday. Umeozulu worked behind Christian Jones and fellow true freshman Cameron Williams.

— Junior Angilau worked with the centers during individual. The quest to fill the No. 2 center role behind Jake Majors is one of the must-follow storylines of camp that people probably aren’t talking about enough (Logan Parr and Connor Robertson are also in that mix).

— There wasn’t much to take away from the edge positions where Barryn Sorrell and Ovie Oghoufoleading the way. Justice Finkley is the most physically impressive member of a group that needed an infusion of talented depth coming off of last season.

— The interior defensive line pecking order early in camp is Keondre Coburn and Moro Ojomo as the front-line guys with Vernon Broughton, Alfred Collins, Byron Murphy and T’Vondre Sweat seemingly lumped together behind them.

— DeMarvion Overshown is going to play on the edge in 2022, but he continues to go through individual and the other periods when the media is present with the linebackers.

— Jaylon Guilbeau missed practice on Wednesday, but he was on the field Thursday working behind D'Shawn Jamison and Ishmael Ibraheem at cornerback. Ryan Watts, Jamier Johnson, Terrance Brooks and Jordan made up the other cornerback group.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Who Cares So What GIF by PragerU

I watched a brief clip on IT video they were showing live during their recording. Card was struggling to hit a slant against air. Literally receivers were leaving their feet to catch a slant with no defender.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Where do we think Card ends up next year? Georgia was trying to flip him late if I remember and Tim Beck is at NC State right now. UCLA if Chip survives also feels like a good system fit. 

I don't think he's good enough to walk in and start at any of those schools. 

ULaLa longest completion was 26.

Rice was 21.

Arkansas was 45. Series after the Foster pick. If it was cover 2, Thompson screwed up otherwise, Jamison. Next longest 20.

TCU was 25.

OU. Mims over Foster. In place to defend. Mims TD vs Dunn but was actually good coverage. Hall a 48 double pass. Woods 29 yard bs non call on the out of bounds.

OSU only one pass play greater than 20. It was a screen I believe. 24 yards.

Baylor had 28, 23 and 23. The longest was the play action/roll throwback to the TE. Snead caught another 22 yarder. Two of the 4 longest were the opening plays of the half.

ISU. Purdys longest was 24 yards, which was so far over the top, they fumbled and we recovered.. They had the trick play for 49. Kolar for 23.

KU. 20 and 29 yards. Our worst game. They abused us over the top.

WVU had 5 of 20 yards. The longest was 31. 3 were right at 20 yards.

KSU. Longest pass play was 14.

Perhaps we’re defining “over the top” differently because those numbers indicate offenses were not beating our corners down the field. Yes, deep safeties were a deterrent. On OU, we had good coverage/were in position on all but the trick play.

One would have to assume that a number of these yards were after the catch. I will go on to assume that on average the pass catcher did not run backwards after making said catches.

The stats may show 17/25 but that’s probably greater than 15 yards. If it’s not, then dig deeper on the numbers. The yards per catch and number of catches do not indicate our corners should have played off so much.

OSU, BU and KU took advantage of that in the short pass game.

• Hook 'Em 3

Initial footwork has never been the problem for Hud. It’s everything after that. His footwork breaks down if he senses the slightest bit of pressure. His accuracy is lackluster and his decision making is less than desirable. Let’s put the pads on and see if he’s improved with those aspects because nothing will be learned in this type of setting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Don Hornleone said:

Initial footwork has never been the problem for Hud. It’s everything after that. His footwork breaks down if he senses the slightest bit of pressure. His accuracy is lackluster and his decision making is less than desirable. Let’s put the pads on and see if he’s improved with those aspects because nothing will be learned in this type of setting.

Get these level headed takes out here!

13 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Yes he appears to have been born a great high school receiver who was so athletic he became a great high school quarterback. 

16 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Unfortunately I think you’d get more fool’s gold there, because he’s not getting hit in practice regardless of pads and he knows it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yep. Gotta hand all of the big cases to the new 5 star harvard grad because we know he’ll do well at this level. 

How about the partner you hired in from another big firm (Neyor). Nah- let’s give it to the guy we know does mediocre work first. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How about the partner you hired in from another big firm (Neyor). Nah- let’s give it to the guy we know does mediocre work first. 

That's the thing though, Campbell ain't from another big time law firm.  And Neyor came from a junior law firm but he proved himself after a couple of weeks.

Spoiler

The QB battle is the big one of fall camp.
In watching workouts this afternoon, I’m of the opinion that Steve Sarkisian has an interesting choice ahead of him.
I watched the QBs, WRs and OLs primarily so that’s what I’ll talk about the most.
Who has the best hands on the team?
Troy Omeire. He catches the ball effortlessly.
His route running remains a work in progress given his previous injuries. But he is significantly further along than Jaden Alexis, who also suffered a knee injury, in that regard.
Agiye Hall dropped multiple passes and did not run crisp routes. Perhaps it was just an off day for the Bama transfer or just an early season adjustment, but I can’t imagine he will grade out well in coach’s tape.
I was not expecting Malik Agbo to look as good as he did. He has lost some weight and is already adding definition. He’s also deceptively quick for such a big guy.
In all, the freshman OLs are as advertised.
Kelvin Banks, Cameron Williams and Agbo are the team’s three biggest OLs and all of them are keepers IMO. Cole Hutson and Campbell are a tad smaller but perhaps quicker. Neto Umeozulu seems to be struggling with conditioning somewhat.
I liked what I saw from Jordan Whittington, Xavier Worthy and Isaiah Neyor.
Worthy just moves differently than everyone else. Neyor is a great deep threat. Whittington had a one-handed grab up the seam from Ewers. It was perhaps the prettiest pass play I saw.
The first team OL did not look particularly imposing. Perhaps that’s no surprise. Physically, the third team OL looked better.
Of course, looks aren’t what counts. But the physical discrepancy there is significant.
Put this in the bucket of good news.
Savion Red and Brenen Thompson both have natural hands.
Red could very well be the starting punt returner. He didn’t juggle or misjudge any punts, and I saw him grab five.
Thompson could be an absolute killer on option routes out of the slot to the outside. He snatches the ball easily and gets upfield.
I feel like Texas probably has two future NFL QBs on the roster. But they are also the two youngest in Ewers and Maalik Murphy.
Murphy is very talented and routinely has good ball placement but his footwork can be sporadic. He is a very strong developmental prospect IMO.

Geoff Howell/247

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Pads were on in spring game. Still looked like shit. 

FCB

Spoiler

A few more observations from Day 2 of fall camp for the Longhorns ...

— Half of Thursday’s practice in 102-degree heat was outdoors and half of it was inside the bubble to get players out of that heat.

— As our Jeff Howe reported, Hudson Card got the first reps with the first-team, followed by Quinn Ewers.

Card, Ewers and Maalik Murphy threw a bunch of spot-on passes during individual drills in which receivers are running routes against air. 

From the nitpick file … saw Card overthrow Troy Omeire on a 20-yard out route and overthrow Neyor on a 20-yard corner route. Saw Ewers overthrow Agiye Hall on the 20-yard corner route. Agree with Jeff Howe's comments regarding the quarterbacks in his practice report.

— Redshirt freshman running back Jonathon Brooks makes the game look easy - running and catching the football. Want to see how his blitz pickup and pass-blocking are progressing. But Texas just might be OK in 2023 without Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson with Brooks and Keilan Robinson leading a backfield that includes fast-learning and shifty freshman Jaydon Blue.

— In 7-on-7, I’m told Jahdae Barron jumped a slant route and intercepted Card. Then, a few plays later, Card beat Barron on a deep-ball for a touchdown to walk-on receiver Hamilton McMartin.

— D'Shawn Jamison also had an interception Thursday, but it might’ve come against one of the backup QBs.

— Freshman field cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau was in practice Thursday after missing Day 1 of fall camp because of a “personal issue,” according to Steve Sarkisian.

Guilbeau was running second-team behind Jamison at field corner, but continues to look good, according to sources.

— Former TCU coach Gary Patterson and current special assistant to Steve Sarkisian is right in the middle of the field during practices, jotting down notes and sharing comments with position coaches on defense. When asked about Patterson's impact so far, DeMarvion Overshown said after practice Thursday that Patterson - after meetings - "gives you those little tips that some of the position coaches might not hit on because there wasn't enough time in the meeting room. Any chance he gets to correct something or let us know a technique adjustment based on his knowledge of the game, you just soak that in." 

— Speaking of Overshown, who often wears a cowboy hat, he was asked about Texas receivers coach Brennan Marion, who wears a cowboy hat during practice.

"I'll let him borrow my look for a little while," Overshown joked.

— A few have asked what some of the summer enrollee freshmen look like at first glance. I provided a thought on receiver Savion Red Wednesday, and I have to say Derrick Brown, at 6-foot-4 and 206 pounds, is super long and super wiry. They have him at strongside linebacker right now as he puts on weight for a likely, eventual move to edge. Looks good moving around. Quick.

— For all you special teams enthusiasts who are into the three-man shield protecting the punter, it looks like the leading contenders to be the first-team, three-man shield for punter Isaac Pearson as of right now are Roschon Johnson, Ovie Oghoufoand Ja'Tavion Sanders.

Some leading contenders to be on the line for UT’s punt return/punt block unit in addition to Keilan Robinson (who blocked two punts last year) and DeMarvion Overshown, who also blocked a punt last year against Oklahoma, are D.J. Harris, Prince Dorbah, J’Mond Tapp, Barryn Sorrell and Brayden Liebrock.

— Hearing freshman scholarship snapper Lance St. Louis, who is backing up senior snapper Zach Edwards, is off to a good start in terms of zipping snaps back to the punter on target.

— There are no pads on, so it’s way too early to draw any kind of conclusions, but on Day 2 of fall camp, the offensive line had Hayden Connergetting a lot of first-team reps at left guard and freshman Cole Hutson getting a lot of first-team reps at right guard with senior Junior Angilaugetting reps with the second-team line. (The rest of the first-team line was Andrej Karic at left tackle, Jake Majors at center and Christian Jones at right tackle.)

What I can tell you is the coaches really like Hutson, the only one of UT’s seven freshmen offensive linemen who went through spring ball. Whether Hutson ends up starting or not, at this point, coaches like the direction he's trending.

• Hook 'Em 1