2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

Two facts just dawned on me. 

First, I’m not diggin the drippin thread title. That means I’m an old unhip genx boomer straddler. 

Second, I’ve been reading these fall 9.95’r reports for 12 years since the title game and they’ve been absolute crap, with no more reality than a romance novel.  I’m not doing again this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Two facts just dawned on me. 

First, I’m not diggin the drippin thread title. That means I’m an old unhip genx boomer straddler. 

Second, I’ve been reading these fall 9.95’r reports for 12 years since the title game and they’ve been absolute crap, with no more reality than a romance novel.  I’m not doing again this year. 

Yea you will 

• Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Texas canceled the open media window and the press time after practice at the very last minute. I’m hoping this is because somebody finally got upset about the BS articles and questions the texas beat reporters have been asking 

Seriously. Fuck these blood-sucking leaches (Ketch, FCB, Bohls, and Brian Davis). I'd rather get no observations from them than have to deal with the fallout from them stirring up fabricated drama.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Seriously. Fuck these blood-sucking leaches (Ketch, FCB, Bohls, and Brian Davis). I'd rather get no observations from them than have to deal with the fallout from them stirring up fabricated drama.

Instead of learning about bad mouthing the program this will only make those types of fucks write more hatchet job articles. Who does Texas Football think they are to do this to them?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Card feet are still janky, which is why it looks like he's putting so much effort into the throw.  Whereas Ewers looks (and is) smoother.

Ewers arm slot still bugs the hell out of me, and I'm not a big arm-slot guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, JBJ said:

Card feet are still janky, which is why it looks like he's putting so much effort into the throw.  Whereas Ewers looks (and is) smoother.

Ewers arm slot still bugs the hell out of me, and I'm not a big arm-slot guy.

Good thing for you he’s got a bunch of different arm slots! 

I think Card's private qb coach ruined him.  He looks like a robot because he's been doing ridiculous drills instead of playing football.  He does nothing smoothly and looks like he's focused on perfect movements at all times.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 5

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Bobby. Ha. Cracks me up. "It's a real dilemma here. One guy has slightly better footwork. The other guy places the ball better and with better touch at the short, intermediate and deep levels. Man, Sarkisian has a tough choice ahead of him."

Fuck Bobby Burton. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Playing QB does not appear to come natural to Card. Basically any kind of improv is non-existent. Which is amazing, because he’s an exceptional athlete playing QB.

image.thumb.png.e4349304cf5f18a1b4ca264c997d952b.png

His over thinking gets in the way of any natural athleticism. You never get the impression that he's just out there slinging for fun in a way that would allow the athleticism to shine.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
ftr, just picked a random brain pic and didn't even notice the label.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Playing QB does not appear to come natural to Card. Basically any kind of improv is non-existent. Which is amazing, because he’s an exceptional athlete playing QB.

Some guys get drilled into their heads that they have to do everything perfectly every time, so when things break down, so do they. They are running through checklists in their head during the play: Put my feet here, turn hips, elbow up, etc. Other guys just say, "Fuck it coach, I got this, we will clean it up in the film room."  The latter is almost always a better player. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, cochamps said:

How much are we practicing indoors?  Seeing a lot of pics from outside, so wondering about player safety, etc.

Yea let’s have them in the ac all the time and then just run them out against Bama when it’s 120 degrees….  🙄 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/4/2022 at 4:37 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

One guy takes his drop a little quicker and smoother. One does EVERYTHING ELSE better. Quite the conundrum. 

What gets me, if I'm remembering the spring game correctly, is that as far as footwork is concerned is that Card got nervous/happy feet immediately after dropping back.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

I don't care how good Card looks in practice or how much anyone tries to tell me how much he's learned/grown/etc. 

Last year's refusal to pull the trigger on throws that were right there for the taking was enough for me. Next.

I refuse to believe that this is a competition, and I am convinced that the $9.95ers drum up a QB competition solely for the clicks.

So, no QB ever improved from year to year?

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

Texas canceled the open media window and the press time after practice at the very last minute. I’m hoping this is because somebody finally got upset about the BS articles and questions the texas beat reporters have been asking  

Can't wait to see Kirk's sandy vag response to this.  He ALWAYS bitches about the media being shut out.  He believes they should be allowed for the entirety or all practices and probably the team meetings, too.  What a whiny c*nt.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, no QB ever improved from year to year?

I don't remember a QB ever being so unwilling to pull the trigger on a throw that is there. 

Quick slant, first read, WR beats his man off the line, Card double pumps. The throw was RIGHT THERE. 

Shit like that cannot happen. And with some QBs it starts happening when practice is over and the plays matter.

I can live with mistakes from a young QB when they are mistakes of aggression. Felt like he was seeing ghosts and that's harder to teach out of someone imo.

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I don't remember a QB ever being so unwilling to pull the trigger on a throw that is there. 

Quick slant, first read, WR beats his man off the line, Card double pumps. The throw was RIGHT THERE. 

Shit like that cannot happen. And with some QBs it starts happening when practice is over and the plays matter.

I can live with mistakes from a young QB when they are mistakes of aggression. Felt like he was seeing ghosts and that's harder to teach out of someone imo.

Maybe when your targets are Marcus Washington or Josh moore you may hesistate

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Can't wait to see Kirk's sandy vag response to this.  He ALWAYS bitches about the media being shut out.  He believes they should be allowed for the entirety or all practices and probably the team meetings, too.  What a whiny c*nt.

5hhsbf.gif

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Or maybe he can read the fucking room. Whatever petty bullshit you or anyone else has against Burton, he’s not a part of the problem and he’s done more to help Texas in the last year than anyone else except a tiny handful of folks. There are plenty of easy media targets to run over with impunity. Stop being a baby about a neg and move on to them. 

I know how much he’s helped. Put you guys into some good conversations. Bobby is great for Texas and one of the best in that 995 industry. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Or maybe he can read the fucking room. Whatever petty bullshit you or anyone else has against Burton, he’s not a part of the problem and he’s done more to help Texas in the last year than anyone else except a tiny handful of folks. There are plenty of easy media targets to run over with impunity. Stop being a baby about a neg and move on to them. 

Well, thank you Jethro.  I pretty much don't care for any of the talking heads. Appreciate your input though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

How much are we practicing indoors?  Seeing a lot of pics from outside, so wondering about player safety, etc.

I don't believe the media, who provide the pictures, have been allowed in the bubble. Hence, the pictures provided by media are all taken outside.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

Someone mentioned it the other day and it is true,  the impressive thing to me about Ewers is his ability to throw the right kind of pass.  

If he needs to zip it he does,  if he needs touch on it he does that, if he sees to put air under it he does that,  and he's been doing that since he was a Sophomore in HS.

I think he will be the best QB in the BIG12 by the end of the season.  

Edited by Laga4
  • Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’s more than a talking head. Are you so dense that you’re not following what’s gettin done here and the premise that he’s helped?

Man, you’re a pompous ass. But you’re our pompous ass

• Haha 4

OB practice notes

Spoiler

A couple of very quick notes to pass along from today's last-minute closed practice. Media members were told upon arrival that the scheduled viewing availability was closed, so we were not able to take in any of the action in person. I was able to catch up briefly with one person who has been at practice for the last two days, though, and here are a few quick notes:

- First day where there was some live hitting (pads were on).

- The OL held up better than this person expected.

- This person was impressed by transfer WR Tarique Milton who is running behind Jordan Whittington as the No.2 slot WR. He said Milton "juked him out of his jock on an option route." (I'm not sure what DB he was going up against). Regardless, I've also noticed that Milton is a little more shifty and nuanced a player than I had given him credit for coming in. He'll be a contributor this year, and probably a relatively big one should anything happen to Whittington.

- Also mentioned was transfer WR Agiye Hall as coming on. I'll admit he's another player who I had been hesitant to really get too excited about based on some pretty bad drops in one game while at Alabama, but he made a catch in Thursday's practice that looked freaky and Odell Beckham-like with the way he adjusted and contorted to it. Texas has some depth at receiver for sure. I could end up having to eat crow RE: my lack of excitement regarding both of these guys coming in as they are clearly performing above my initial expectations.

- This is probably the most interesting thing I heard: I asked what the deal is with Alfred Collins. It feels like he's definitely been lagging behind the others in the pecking order at DT through the first two practices, running with the third team and such after being a seemingly undisputed starter in the spring. The response: "He was actually starting today in some team (stuff). Him and (Byron) Murphy."

I don't know if it was a situational package or what, but I think we can be pretty confident now in knowing that the rotations we've seen through the first two days of practice are certainly set to evolve and we shouldn't overreact to initial appearances. Furthermore, it's good for Texas fans to hear anything about Murphy seeing the field more often.

- TE Jahleel Billingsley is still not practicing. 

- True freshmen Justice Finkley and Jaray Bledsoe are starting to split work behind DE starter Barryn Sorrell. Bledsoe missed spring because he had appendicitis, but was an early enrollee and has been around the program the whole time.

- Devin Richardson apparently got some work in with the ones next to Overshown. Inside linebacker is one of many positions on the team that will continue to settle through camp.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1