2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB practice notes

Hide contents

A couple of very quick notes to pass along from today's last-minute closed practice. Media members were told upon arrival that the scheduled viewing availability was closed, so we were not able to take in any of the action in person. I was able to catch up briefly with one person who has been at practice for the last two days, though, and here are a few quick notes:

- First day where there was some live hitting (pads were on).

- The OL held up better than this person expected.

- This person was impressed by transfer WR Tarique Milton who is running behind Jordan Whittington as the No.2 slot WR. He said Milton "juked him out of his jock on an option route." (I'm not sure what DB he was going up against). Regardless, I've also noticed that Milton is a little more shifty and nuanced a player than I had given him credit for coming in. He'll be a contributor this year, and probably a relatively big one should anything happen to Whittington.

- Also mentioned was transfer WR Agiye Hall as coming on. I'll admit he's another player who I had been hesitant to really get too excited about based on some pretty bad drops in one game while at Alabama, but he made a catch in Thursday's practice that looked freaky and Odell Beckham-like with the way he adjusted and contorted to it. Texas has some depth at receiver for sure. I could end up having to eat crow RE: my lack of excitement regarding both of these guys coming in as they are clearly performing above my initial expectations.

- This is probably the most interesting thing I heard: I asked what the deal is with Alfred Collins. It feels like he's definitely been lagging behind the others in the pecking order at DT through the first two practices, running with the third team and such after being a seemingly undisputed starter in the spring. The response: "He was actually starting today in some team (stuff). Him and (Byron) Murphy."

I don't know if it was a situational package or what, but I think we can be pretty confident now in knowing that the rotations we've seen through the first two days of practice are certainly set to evolve and we shouldn't overreact to initial appearances. Furthermore, it's good for Texas fans to hear anything about Murphy seeing the field more often.

- TE Jahleel Billingsley is still not practicing. 

- True freshmen Justice Finkley and Jaray Bledsoe are starting to split work behind DE starter Barryn Sorrell. Bledsoe missed spring because he had appendicitis, but was an early enrollee and has been around the program the whole time.

- Devin Richardson apparently got some work in with the ones next to Overshown. Inside linebacker is one of many positions on the team that will continue to settle through camp.

Is "this person was" better than "I am told"? 

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

I think Card's private qb coach ruined him.  He looks like a robot because he's been doing ridiculous drills instead of playing football.  He does nothing smoothly and looks like he's focused on perfect movements at all times.

Been saying... Dude is prepping for the combine, not the game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’s more than a talking head. Are you so dense that you’re not following what’s gettin done here and the premise that he’s helped?

Just having a really bad day and probably shouldn't be posting in the state of mind I'm in,  pretty much hate the world today. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Someone mentioned it the other day and it is true,  the impressive thing to me about Ewers is his ability to throw the right kind of pass.  If he needs to zip it he does,  if he needs touch on it he does that, if he sees to put air under it he does that,  and he's been doing that since he was a Sophomore in HS.

I think he will be the best QB in the BIG12 by the end of the season.  

Early July video... "Assuming Quinn Ewers is the guy, you gotta stick with him"

Here's the full video...

What is a Successful 2022 for Texas? 

Edited by LTtxfan

52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB practice notes

Hide contents

- This is probably the most interesting thing I heard: I asked what the deal is with Alfred Collins. It feels like he's definitely been lagging behind the others in the pecking order at DT through the first two practices, running with the third team and such after being a seemingly undisputed starter in the spring. The response: "He was actually starting today in some team (stuff). Him and (Byron) Murphy."

I guess Collins eats, sleeps, and breathes football now?

56 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I wonder if this is why media was canceled. I am sure the coaches didnt like someone filming practice and then saying “WhOsE BeTtER?!!”

No, in all likelihood, it was in response to FCB (or whoever) badmouthing Hall and Billingsley's character. Revoke their access permanently. They don't belong in there.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

I guess we aren't allowed to make jokes about Bobby Burton?

Shark Tank Writing GIF

Make all the jokes you like. I just think it is bullshit to lump him in with Chip Brown and Kirk Bowls. I don’t expect folks to understand it, and it can laid out at this point, but those guys are the antithesis of where things sit with the program and Burton. 

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Just having a really bad day and probably shouldn't be posting in the state of mind I'm in,  pretty much hate the world today. 

Well, hey, I didn’t neg you or anything. Sun still shines tomorrow though. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Make all the jokes you like. I just think it is bullshit to lump him in with Chip Brown and Kirk Bowls. I don’t expect folks to understand it, and it can laid out at this point, but those guys are the antithesis of where things sit with the program and Burton. 

I agree, he shouldn't be lumped into those other fucktards. I know he played a huge part in the NIL stuff and I appreciate it. I didn't badmouth him.........I made a joke about making jokes and won't apologize for it.  

I watch most of Bobby's videos and they are the best on the internet. Having said that, some of his comments about Card do seem to be homerish and conflict with some of the stuff he said about Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

I agree, he shouldn't be lumped into those other fucktards. I know he played a huge part in the NIL stuff and I appreciate it. I didn't badmouth him.........I made a joke about making jokes and won't apologize for it.  

I watch most of Bobby's videos and they are the best on the internet. Having said that, some of his comments about Card do seem to be homerish and conflict with some of the stuff he said about Quinn.

There's no harm in saying nice stuff about Card. That's how puff pieces and propaganda work. Even if Card isn't the starter, he's likely gonna be needed this year. So tell everybody that his footwork looks better, he's more decisive in the pocket, and that his hands have grown 3 sizes bigger in the offseason. And then when Ewers is named the starter, everybody can feel happy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know why you don't get that people can acknowledge what Burton does behind the scenes while still thinking his boring, captain obvious style of writing sucks and should be better since he's actually charging people for it. 

Well, he's charging idiots for it so I guess that's why he doesn't feel the need to stop just finding different ways to state the obvious. 

I don't have a problem with him other than he's affiliated with the sleazy assholes who didn't disclose their business relationship with Card while they were kissing his ass all last year's camp. But his writing does suck

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I am 100% convinced the Friday media blackout was prompted by the Chip Brown Hall/Billingsley “insider information” piece, not the TV comparison between Card and Ewers delivery. I also suspect the support staff got a reminder that anyone found serving as Deep Throat (the Watergate kind) to a 9:95er is grounds for immediate shit listing and termination (if you’re not that important).

I’m certain the rest of the media are pissed in the reduction in access, especially the TV guys since they need video every day. In the Burron/Nahlin/Wells video chat, they referenced the Brown article as being unnecessary at this point (the info would be more meaningful if they were underperforming during the season), and this was taped before the news of the media opportunity being shitcanned. I suspect few people are happy with everyones buddy, FCB.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Hornlover said:

There's no harm in saying nice stuff about Card. That's how puff pieces and propaganda work. Even if Card isn't the starter, he's likely gonna be needed this year. So tell everybody that his footwork looks better, he's more decisive in the pocket, and that his hands have grown 3 sizes bigger in the offseason. And then when Ewers is named the starter, everybody can feel happy. 

I don't have a single problem with any of that. Having said that, I should still be able to criticize and make fun of him. 

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I am 100% convinced the Friday media blackout was prompted by the Chip Brown Hall/Billingsley “insider information” piece, not the TV comparison between Card and Ewers delivery. I also suspect the support staff got a reminder that anyone found serving as Deep Throat (the Watergate kind) to a 9:95er is grounds for immediate shit listing and termination (if you’re not that important).

I’m certain the rest of the media are pissed in the reduction in access, especially the TV guys since they need video every day. In the Burron/Nahlin/Wells video chat, they referenced the Brown article as being unnecessary at this point (the info would be more meaningful if they were underperforming during the season), and this was taped before the news of the media opportunity being shitcanned. I suspect few people are happy with everyones buddy, FCB.

Pretty sure the video of the QB’s from the other day was tweeted out after the the availability was canceled, so it probably definitely had to do with Chip.

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

I don't have a single problem with any of that. Having said that, I should still be able to criticize and make fun of him. 

You are allowed to.  Your post is still up. Doesn’t make you free from criticism yourself if someone doesn’t agree with you. 

you spoke your mind, @closetojumping and @BurntOrange&White spoke theirs. What the problem is?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You are allowed to.  Your post is still up. Doesn’t make you free from criticism yourself if someone doesn’t agree with you. 

you spoke your mind, @closetojumping and @BurntOrange&White spoke theirs. What the problem is?

My reply wasn't about me honestly. It was about others. What was said about me wasn't really harsh, it seemed to be more educational. I didn't take it as being all that critical of me even though my reply may have looked like I thought it was. I thought the original post that was made was a joke about Bobby, maybe it wasn't. If it wasn't it was fair game. I don't think that what I thought was a joke should be criticized so harshly.

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The Hall update made me laugh. He went from seeing the leadership council several time to “coming on” after 1 tweet

Hall was in the doghouse. But he has made great strides. He is now flashing, and, most importantly, turning heads.  

(pads haven't even come on yet)

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

• Make all the jokes you like  ✔
  • It is bullshit to lump him (Bobby) in with Chip Brown (FCB) and Kirk Bowls (Bowels)  ✔

Spot on CTJ   🎯

• Haha 1

IT practice notes

Spoiler

In case you were wondering why we didn’t have practice notes on Friday, the 15 minute media window was canceled with little notice. 

Like we always do, we dug up what we could on our own but didn’t hear a whole lot this time. Still, we do have some notes to pass along.

The third practice — the first one in half pads — was intensive on short yardage and special teams. 

Team aspects were heavy on 3rd and short. Interestingly, there were times the defense was in a 3-3-5 @IanBoydhas opined about this offseason. The linebackers were Jaylan Ford-Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey-De’Marvion Overshown, but it was stressed that players were rotating fast and furious all over the place.

Not surprisingly, the offense was still running a lot of 12 personnel like in the previous practices.

Special teams featured a lot of good on good punt coverage/punt return. It’s hard to know if punt return is truly up for grabs or if the staff already knows what it has in Jamison and is getting other players reps. I suppose it could be both. Yesterday, Xavier Worthy got the lion’s share of returns. But we were told Savion Red, Brenen Thompson, and Tarique Milton also are in the running. “Red looks good back there.”

Of course we asked about the quarterbacks and heard they’ve gotten better with each practice but weren’t given a bunch of details. Isaiah Neyor had yet another strong practice, but that’s become commonplace. He’s almost as much of a known as Worthy at this point. 

Maalik Murphy was singled out, but more so during the 7 on 7 portion. He is beginning to turn some heads. Video footage from the second practice shows he’s shortened his motion, which from a mechanical standpoint, was step 1 of his development. 

Today the team is getting a later start before practicing under the lights tonight.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT practice notes

Hide contents

In case you were wondering why we didn’t have practice notes on Friday, the 15 minute media window was canceled with little notice. 

Like we always do, we dug up what we could on our own but didn’t hear a whole lot this time. Still, we do have some notes to pass along.

The third practice — the first one in half pads — was intensive on short yardage and special teams. 

Team aspects were heavy on 3rd and short. Interestingly, there were times the defense was in a 3-3-5 @IanBoydhas opined about this offseason. The linebackers were Jaylan Ford-Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey-De’Marvion Overshown, but it was stressed that players were rotating fast and furious all over the place.

Not surprisingly, the offense was still running a lot of 12 personnel like in the previous practices.

Special teams featured a lot of good on good punt coverage/punt return. It’s hard to know if punt return is truly up for grabs or if the staff already knows what it has in Jamison and is getting other players reps. I suppose it could be both. Yesterday, Xavier Worthy got the lion’s share of returns. But we were told Savion Red, Brenen Thompson, and Tarique Milton also are in the running. “Red looks good back there.”

Of course we asked about the quarterbacks and heard they’ve gotten better with each practice but weren’t given a bunch of details. Isaiah Neyor had yet another strong practice, but that’s become commonplace. He’s almost as much of a known as Worthy at this point. 

Maalik Murphy was singled out, but more so during the 7 on 7 portion. He is beginning to turn some heads. Video footage from the second practice shows he’s shortened his motion, which from a mechanical standpoint, was step 1 of his development. 

Today the team is getting a later start before practicing under the lights tonight.

Malik gonna be the backup by season start. Lmao 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hall has gone through a culture shock at Texas where like Alabama he thought he was going to walk in and take a leading role next to Worthy.  But the other transfer from Wyoming has clearly established himself as the other WR 1 and Hall has been reeling.  Sources tell me that Bijan reached out to him but Hall rejected him.   It was Banks and Williams who approached Hall and simply by working out together they formed a solid bond of dudes bent on establishing their spot not expecting it to be given.   The bond he built with these freshman is stronger than any he has had in football and now he feels like a part of a group within the team, but Hall has found a home and some brothers among the big men.  
Send your $9.94 to Nivek@burntendslostcup.com.

Those are some excellent words. Well strung together. Believable.