2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I started a blog right before that season. Or better yet, I got ready to start one. Got the url and word press set up. Wrote my first blog post “7-6 On A Bullet” and enumerated all of the reasons I thought Mack Brown’s sloth with his staff and recruiting were coming home to roost that year. Posted it but never mentioned it. Got really busy with life, never thought about it again for 3 months. Something reminds me of it, I go back and look when Texas is 9-3. “Yeesh. “ Deleted the whole thing. 

I remember people being pissed that year. I remember being surprised we were as good as we were. 

I look forward to a similar situation this year.

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Hell yeah. Head coaching 101. Castigate players that talk to the media too openly (moro ojomo). Alienate the media and fans. Then underperform and don't take any responsibility in post game pressers. Sark has got this guys

Not sure if you are talking about Ojomo or Sark here 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Hell yeah. Head coaching 101. Castigate players that talk to the media too openly (moro ojomo). Alienate the media and fans. Then underperform and don't take any responsibility in post game pressers. Sark has got this guys

9.95ers will always have their “sources” regardless of any type of “clamps” Sark tries to put down. And sark knows that. He ain’t alienating any of the fans by squeezing FCB’s balls. If anything the fans love him more now.

And I could honestly give a rats ass what the media thinks about him. If it was up to the media Casey Thompson would have won the heisman trophy last year and had a statue outside the stadium.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

We practiced yesterday, but I haven’t seen any 9.95er recap, though Nahlin says he might have something this afternoon. Looks like Sark clamped down on the leaks pretty effectively.

Correct. Reportedly 9.95’rs weren’t in practice for a day. 

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

How long have you been working for https://www.statesman.com ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Last season’s championship game is on, and it’s Bama 9-6 late in the 3rd… and I’m wondering when it all changes, because my recollection is Georgia ended up putting it on them pretty good.  The Tide is driving, 1st and 10 on the Georgia 29, and Billingsley misses a block, and Robinson is tackled for a yard loss. Two plays later, 3rd and 11, and Young scrambles under tremendous pressure, but somehow finds Agiye Hall streaking across the field at the 10… and Hall can’t catch the perfect throw. Georgia then blocks the FG, takes over and then drives 80 yards in four plays, take the lead and they never trailed again. Some mistakes, but they played a lot

disappointed-chris-farley.gif.9be96ea242ce86b362cca79e55c4519d.gif

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

08 team > 09 team

It's far enough back that I don't really remember the OL turnover, but the offense took a pretty good sized step back losing Quan, Ogbonnaya and B Collins 

I'll take the '09 defense, but the difference wasn't as pronounced as it was on offense.

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The 2007 starting back 7 on defense was Scott Derry, Rashad Bobino, Robert Killebrew, Marcus (not Michael) Griffin, Erick Jackson (note: not a made up name for those of you asking “who?”), Ryan Palmer, and Brandon Foster.  Not great, Bob.

Fortunately for Mack, his defensive recruiting only took like a 2 year hiatus (as opposed to the offense which basically stopped recruiting NFL players at any position from about 2006 onward).  So, we had a blip of terrible defense in 2007, and then we replaced those DBs with Earl Thomas, Aaron Williams, Curtis Brown, Chykie Brown, etc., in 08, and Sergio Kindle and Muckelroy started playing Edge and LB instead of Killebrew and Derry.  And, voila, the defense was good again for a few years until Manny The Mad Scientist and general program rot unraveled things.

We still have too many Marcus Griffins and Scott Derrys who will see some level of snaps for us on defense this year, btw.  Cut through the preseason $9.95 hype and ask yourselves how many non-freshmen in our two deep on defense will actually play in the NFL.   

Have a chance:

Collins, Sweat, Ojomo, Coburn, Jameson, Overshown, Sorrel, Thompson, Crawford, Barron, Watts. 
That’s 11 guys I wouldn’t be shocked to see make a roster someday.  Now- are any of them going to be multi year starters?  Probably not. Over under on those guys making a roster?  4 I think. 

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Do you want the most consistent or the most talented?

Ultimately, I realize we all want the most talented to be the most consistent, but how often does that actually happen?

I’m not referring to anyone in particular here but narratives are formed then they proceed to confirm their biases. For some Card is doomed to always be who he is and Collins is a misused talent.

I hope Collins turns into the guy he is supposed to be. But maybe has already.

I want the muthatucka that's going to make plays. Consistently.

There are thousands of talented players who don't work hard, don't play hard, aren't good teammates, and never do dick. They're consistent.

Players play.

• Hook 'Em 2

Offense I’d say everyone in the 2 deep at the skill position could make an NFL roster- add to that maybe a couple of the non freshmen offensive linemen?  Call it maybe 20 guys on offense that you could at least squint and imagine making a roster- at least 8 no doubters, and a half dozen potential stars. It’s glaring how different the talent  level is there. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Have a chance:

Collins, Sweat, Ojomo, Coburn, Jameson, Overshown, Sorrel, Thompson, Crawford, Barron, Watts. 
That’s 11 guys I wouldn’t be shocked to see make a roster someday.  Now- are any of them going to be multi year starters?  Probably not. Over under on those guys making a roster?  4 I think. 

I like the numbers and probability approach. I gave up predicting the fringe cases when DD (the DeAndre version) Lewis had an 8 year NFL career after being misused at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Let FCB post his hit pieces in peace, Sark! Jeez! leavebritneyalone.gif

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Immamac has been hacked by Luicci

051FD2B5-4E84-45B4-8432-982DBFA2AD58.jpeg

Reads just like what Billy would post...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Have a chance:

If Watts goes to the NFL, it will be at Safety.

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

If Watts goes to the NFL, it will be at Safety.

Ok. Maybe?

I suppose the transfer at LB might have an outside shot, but his physical measurable are shit so I wouldn’t put a real high probability of that happening or anything. It’s not a complete talent wasteland but nobody is on a fast track to being drafted and locking down a spot in the league right now. Development is needed big time. It’s dicey back there. I had a post last year that got mocked about not being able to project any good defensive players into 2023 and I feel the same way right now. Have to hope some of the freshmen can develop to be good by next year and that we win the portal defensively next year the way we did on offense last year, because the 2023 Offense should be fucking incredible and national title good. 

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So why are they not using Watts at Safety now ??

It’s the difference between Ohio State/Bama/Georgia and Texas. Sounds like Texas wants to play 3 corners on defense (Moved Barron to star for coverage reasons). I am not sure Texas has 3 Corners that are ready to play. “Good enough” may have to suffice. Ohio State had the luxury to move him to Safety last year 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

He was certainly top 5. Ark and WV games are good examples. Card looked terrible early vs WV and then on a 3rd down he gets a lucky tipped pass for a first down. After that, he looks completely different. If Jwhitt doesn’t have the drops (TD pass would have been a good catch) or Worthy doesn’t run a terrible route, maybe the Card story is different on that day. This also highlights Card’s biggest issue. He had issues forgetting the last play. 

Card has issues for sure, leadership being one of them. And it looks like he had very limited faith in those around him for good reason after the first 2 games and 5 sacks (plus all of those other free defenders rushing at him unblocked that he did evade) and the drops when he did get decent placement.

I am hopeful he gets it turned around. I am hopeful Ewers starts and plays the full season.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It’s the difference between Ohio State/Bama/Georgia and Texas. Sounds like Texas wants to play 3 corners on defense (Moved Barron to star for coverage reasons). I am not sure Texas has 3 Corners that are ready to play. “Good enough” may have to suffice. Ohio State had the luxury to move him to Safety last year 

Ohio State arguably had a worst defense (especially against the pass) than we did last year. Hard to justify any of the personnel decisions they made last year.

Watts has the length they seem to want at corner. Similar to Josh Thompson his best position at the next level might be safety, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a good college corner.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ohio State arguably had a worst defense (especially against the pass) than we did last year. Hard to justify any of the personnel decisions they made last year.

Watts has the length they seem to want at corner. Similar to Josh Thompson his best position at the next level might be safety, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a good college corner.

So you are saying the opening day starter at CB was moved to Safety, due to poor pass defense is a good thing? 

on a side note, Ohio State will likely see both CBs get drafted. Watts was beaten out by a freshmen, who will be very good 

Edited by Codaxx

45 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

So you are saying the opening day starter at CB was moved to Safety, due to poor pass defense is a good thing? 

on a side note, Ohio State will likely see both CBs get drafted. Watts was beaten out by a freshmen, who will be very good 

He certainly was not the reason the defense got shredded. He finished the season with 6 total tackles.

The opening game was the only game he started and he looked decent. Not sure if he started due to injury or what. But he rarely played significant snaps after that game. I know at least one of his two INT’s was in garbage time.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

There’s so many things wrong with this post. To start, Watts only started their first game at CB because of injuries, so your idea of him getting benched/moved after opening day is completely inaccurate. 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There’s so many things wrong with this post. To start, Watts only started their first game at CB because of injuries, so your idea of him getting benched/moved after opening day is completely inaccurate. 

so many things!!!

he started the first game?? Check

a freshman eventually replaced him? Check

He was moved to safety after opening day? Check

Macklin coming in strong to stroke his ego? Check

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Codaxx said:

so many things!!!

he started the first game?? Check

a freshman replaced him? Check

He was moved to safety after opening day? Check

Macklin coming in strong to stroke his ego? Check

Watts started the opener at corner because Cam Brown and Sevyn Banks were both out with injuries. Then they moved him to safety because they needed more depth with Josh Proctor's injury. 

I don't know why you're making this difficult. Watts even said the long-term move wasn't to play safety. 

Spoiler

“I moved out to safety, but it just really wasn’t too much for me,” Watts said on Nov. 22. “So they decided that I was really better at corner. Not that I wasn’t doing too good at safety, but they just wanted that depth at corner.”

https://www.cleveland.com/buckeye-talk-podcast/2021/12/ohio-state-footballs-ryan-watts-enters-transfer-portal-after-two-seasons-with-buckeyes.html

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ohio State's plan wasn't even to keep Watts at safety. They had to move him to safety because of injuries. They had a bunch of injuries in the secondary so Watts was the most flexible option to move between corner and safety as depth. 

Watts even said that Ohio State's plan wasn't to keep him at safety. Not sure why Codaxx is making this difficult. 

I'm also not sure why he keeps saying a "freshman replaced him at  corner". Didn't Burke and Watts both start the opener because of injuries? Burke replaced one of those veterans that was injured and actually projected to start. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

23 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Watts started the opener at corner because Cam Brown and Sevyn Banks were both out with injuries. Then they moved him to safety because they needed more depth with Josh Proctor's injury. 

I don't know why you're making this difficult. Watts even said the long-term move wasn't to play safety. 

Reveal hidden contents

“I moved out to safety, but it just really wasn’t too much for me,” Watts said on Nov. 22. “So they decided that I was really better at corner. Not that I wasn’t doing too good at safety, but they just wanted that depth at corner.”

https://www.cleveland.com/buckeye-talk-podcast/2021/12/ohio-state-footballs-ryan-watts-enters-transfer-portal-after-two-seasons-with-buckeyes.html

I have no problem saying what I said didn’t  tell the whole story, but it was all true. It won’t be the first time. I still don’t think he would have seen the field at CB this year at OSU, outside of mop up duty. Projected starters are freshman Burke and Senior Brown. Burke played very well over the course of the season. He was 3rd team All Big 10 as a Freshman. Watts would likely be the 4th/5th best CB at OSU. His best chance to see the field would have been at Safety. Watts wouldn’t agree, but we can’t ask the coaches 

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Codaxx said:

I have no problem saying what I said didn’t  tell the whole story, but it was all true. It won’t be the first time. I still don’t think he would have seen the field at CB this year at OSU, outside of mop up duty. Projected starters are freshman Burke and Senior Brown. Watts would likely the 4th/5th best CB at OSU. His best chance to see the field would have been at Safety. Watts wouldn’t agree, but we can’t ask the coaches 

Yeah, but you're just making up shit. 

Watts wasn't benched or moved to safety because he wasn't good at corner. Maybe safety is Watt's better position but you're completely making up context from his time at Ohio State. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, but you're just making up shit. 

Watts wasn't benched or moved to safety because he wasn't good at corner. Maybe safety is Watt's better position but you're completely making up context from his time at Ohio State. 

What is made up? Burke was OSU’s best CB. Watts was behind him in the pecking order. Burke was on Athlons first team All-Big 10 preseason team. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

What is made up? Burke was OSU’s best CB. Watts was behind him. Burke was on Athlons first team All-Big 10 team. 

Nobody is denying this. 

The issue is you tried to argue that Watts was benched and moved to safety because that's his better fit. He wasn't benched and keeping Watts at safey was never the long-term plan by Ohio State. 

All you have to say is "I think Watts is a better safety" without completely making up shit about Ohio State. 

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Nobody is denying this. 

The issue is you tried to argue that Watts was benched and moved to safety because that's his better fit. He wasn't benched and keeping Watts at safey was never the long-term plan by Ohio State. 

All you have to say is "I think Watts is a better safety" without completely making up shit about Ohio State. 

I said he was replaced by a freshman. That we seem to agree on, since you agree he is their best CB. That made Watts move  to safety an easy one. Had Watts out-played the freshmen, I highly doubt he would have been moved to Safety. I get the Longhorn slant that he was a great CB and will kill it at Texas. I hope it is true. Burke could just be that good. Sevyn Banks transferred to LSU also. I just think that is a lot of projecting

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a really interesting discussion. Do we know which positions Watts played in high school? Maybe someone knows his Pop Warner coach and can chime in on his abilities at various positions in the defensive backfield?

He was a CB

33 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I said he was replaced by a freshman. That we seem to agree on, since you agree he is their best CB. That made his move  to safety an easy one. Had Watts out-played the freshmen, I highly doubt he would have been moved to Safety. 

No not really. 

Sevyn Banks and Cam Brown were the projected starters before injuries. Watts wasn't replaced by a freshman. He was "replaced" by Cam Brown (a senior) when he came back from injury. 

When both the seniors returned from injury, at corner, the logical move was to try Watts at safety because of the Proctor injury and Watt's positional flexibility. Then Sevyn Banks had more injury issues so Burke was locked into the other corner spot. If they knew that Sevyn Banks was going to have additional injury issues later in the year they wouldn't have moved Watts to safety.

Watts was moved around because Ohio State had a bunch of injuries in the secondary and he has positional flexibility.

Edited by Rickylovesweed

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Half of these (the bits in bold) are actually good strategies. I know I'm on this site but I actually don't mind if the coaching staff cracks down, limits information, and takes better control of the team's public image. It could actually do some good considering media meddling and shit-stirring has been one of the main problems for this program over the past decade. Fuck the media, fuck the players who talk shit on the sly, and honestly fuck the fans who create distractions for the players, too. Making it a situation of The Team vs. Everyone could possibly work.

• Hook 'Em 1