2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

50 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Sevyn Banks transferred to LSU also. 

Banks has injury issues. It’s why a lot of Ohio State fans were upset that Watts moved to safety when Banks returned from injury. 

That’s why this take from you is so funny. Most Ohio State fans thought it was dumb to move Watts to safety because with Banks injury history he would have been battling as the 2nd or 3rd corner spot.

I don’t think anyone is projecting anything about Watts at corner. You just have no clue what happened at Ohio State. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No not really. 

Sevyn Banks and Cam Brown were the projected starters before injuries. Watts wasn't replaced by a freshman. He was "replaced" by Cam Brown (a senior) when he came back from injury. 

When both the seniors returned from injury, at corner, the logical move was to try Watts at safety because of the Proctor injury and Watt's positional flexibility. Then Sevyn Banks had more injury issues so Burke was locked into the other corner spot. If they knew that Sevyn Banks was going to have additional injury issues later in the year they wouldn't have moved Watts to safety.

Watts was moved around because Ohio State had a bunch of injuries in the secondary and he has positional flexibility.

I believe Burke and Watts started game 1. That eventually became Brown and Burke. That would leave me to believe the staff thought Burke was better and he replaced Watts. That assumption is based on many believing Brown and Banks would have been the starters, if healthy. Brown came back and Watts, no longer started. Logically that would make the  pecking order Brown, Burke, and Banks as the top 3 and WaTts at 4. If you want to say it was Brown that replaced Watts, that is fine. The point that a freshman replaced his importance at CB still remains. It also interesting that Watts didn’t see the field vs Oregon.  He was moved to safety after Proctor’s injury vs Oregon, but I am not sure Banks was back for game 3, perhaps you know. Like I said, my original post was factual. If you want to add nuance to it, feel free 

Edited by Codaxx

28 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Cam Williams got reps at LT. Wondering if they were just giving him a look there

Big Cam is going to outplay his recruiting rankings. A redshirt would do wonders for him but I’m not sure he will get it. He is expecting to play enough this year to use his redshirt. 

Edited by FreeHorn

29 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Cam Williams got reps at LT. Wondering if they were just giving him a look there

I thought he looked good in Pass Pro as recruit. I actually thought his run blocking technique was way behind. (Not surprising when you are that big. He got away with just pushing kids around). Even if it is just getting looks at LT, it is a pretty good sign for his future. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I believe Burke and Watts started game 1. That eventually became Brown and Burke. That would leave me to believe the staff thought Burke was better and he replaced Watts. 

When Banks and Brown returned from injury Ohio State was no longer worried about corner. They were the  projected starters and both were upperclassmen. Then Proctor was injured at safety in game 2 with a bunch of young players behind him. 

You're making this so difficult for no reason. When Ohio State got 2 proven and experienced corners back from injury they decided to move Watts to safety where they didn't have great depth after the Proctor injury. 

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No not really. 

Sevyn Banks and Cam Brown were the projected starters before injuries. Watts wasn't replaced by a freshman. He was "replaced" by Cam Brown (a senior) when he came back from injury. 

When both the seniors returned from injury, at corner, the logical move was to try Watts at safety because of the Proctor injury and Watt's positional flexibility. Then Sevyn Banks had more injury issues so Burke was locked into the other corner spot. If they knew that Sevyn Banks was going to have additional injury issues later in the year they wouldn't have moved Watts to safety.

Not taking sides, but this doesn't pass the smell test. If Watts was the best corner, he could have just moved back to starting corner after Banks' second injury. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. What am I missing here? Many defensive backs cross train, when the ability is there. I've been hearing this all off season. Sounds like either tOSU making an excuse to get him to change positions or Watts releasing a story that best fits his narrative. 

I'm not saying he can't play corner. He's got a lot of the tools to play the position.

But we've had way too much excuse making to justify recruiting moves. I can remember the whole Marcus Washington narrative here a few years ago. All the excuses in the world to justify his combined 4.7 speed and slight build. tOSU wanted him! He was injured! 

Watts has size and decent speed, although you'd like to see him shave another tenth off his verified times. He was a very good pickup by the staff. I'm not sure if he's a corner or safety. It doesn't take much to play corner better than last year's starting lineup. It still doesn't change the fact that the narrative being sold here doesn't hold water unless there's missing info.

Last year, I really felt like Crawford and Barron were our most talented defensive backs. I guess they weren't as ready as I thought; or the wrong players got on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I believe Burke and Watts started game 1. That eventually became Brown and Burke. That would leave me to believe the staff thought Burke was better and he replaced Watts. That assumption is based on many believing Brown and Banks would have been the starters, if healthy. Brown came back and Watts, no longer started. Logically that would make the  pecking order Brown, Burke, and Banks as the top 3 and WaTts at 4. If you want to say it was Brown that replaced Watts, that is fine. The point that a freshman replaced his importance at CB still remains. It also interesting that Watts didn’t see the field vs Oregon.  He was moved to safety after Proctor’s injury vs Oregon, but I am not sure Banks was back for game 3, perhaps you know. Like I said, my original post was factual. If you want to add nuance to it, feel free 

For a second, I thought Ethan Burke will be our starting EDGE in the first game.  The guy gained weight this fast.  It might lead to shrunken wingspan syndrome. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Not taking sides, but this doesn't pass the smell test. If Watts was the best corner, he could have just moved back to starting corner after Banks' second injury. 

That's because Burke ended up being really good. I've never denied Burke was a really good player at the end of the season. 

Also, Ohio State definitely wanted Watts back at corner (as referenced above) because after Banks injury issues Watts was going to be in the mix to be the 2nd or 3rd corner. They should have just kept Watts at corner if that was the long-term plan. Positional switches like that to cover for injuries is a good way to undermine development and cause players to transfer. 

35 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Not taking sides, but this doesn't pass the smell test. If Watts was the best corner, he could have just moved back to starting corner after Banks' second injury. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. What am I missing here? Many defensive backs cross train, when the ability is there. I've been hearing this all off season. Sounds like either tOSU making an excuse to get him to change positions or Watts releasing a story that best fits his narrative. 

I'm not saying he can't play corner. He's got a lot of the tools to play the position.

But we've had way too much excuse making to justify recruiting moves. I can remember the whole Marcus Washington narrative here a few years ago. All the excuses in the world to justify his combined 4.7 speed and slight build. tOSU wanted him! He was injured! 

Watts has size and decent speed, although you'd like to see him shave another tenth off his verified times. He was a very good pickup by the staff. I'm not sure if he's a corner or safety. It doesn't take much to play corner better than last year's starting lineup. It still doesn't change the fact that the narrative being sold here doesn't hold water unless there's missing info.

Last year, I really felt like Crawford and Barron were our most talented defensive backs. I guess they weren't as ready as I thought; or the wrong players got on the field.

Could add he decided to transfer also.. I hope I am wrong, but Kitan Crawford gives me an Adrian Phillips vibe. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Could add he decided to transfer also.. I hope I am wrong, but Kitan Crawford gives me an Adrian Phillips vibe. 

I would rather him not be another Texas player with a pretty unremarkable college career and entering the league as a UDFA, proceeding to be developed into an NFL starter (and in Phillips's case, pro bowler) when they get real coaching.

• Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Could add he decided to transfer also.. 

Ohio State definitely didn't want Watts to transfer and especially at corner. You should check out their depth chart. They had to move a kicker to cornerback in the spring because they only had 5 scholarship corners. Kerry Coombs was terrible. 

That's why I chuckled at you thinking Watts would be their 4th or 5th corner. Who do you think is on their roster? Ohio State is worried to death about their depth at corner. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m told that during his time at LT, cam Williams totally dominated ogie. 

I think Robison was at practice. Suit him up and see if any of the Tackles can pass block…. (Kidding, well sort of)

Edited by Codaxx

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

this person said it was a completely thorough demoralizing beat down. 

But what about his time starting at corner before moving to safety at Ohio State?

Swell, but since we were equally as bad at d-line as o-line play last year, this probably tells us more about that versus how good the freshman o-lineman might be.

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That thread is locked. Is there another one because I'm actually interested to ask them about their depth at corner? 

I’m sorry, I swear I’d seen an active Ohio State thread recently (and not the Trademark one) and presumed that was it. You can use that one and also ask about “The.” 🤣

NEVERMIND, thanks to @immamac for unlocking the other thread

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Haha 1

Some 2021 3rd down defensive stats to chew on. I ran thru the play-by-play of each game pretty quickly so…..

We were #101 in allowing a 42% conversion rate.

Obviously you can’t take out any games. If that were allowed and you choose two, that’d be KU and WVU. Our conversions allowed drops to 36.8% for about 43rd in the country.

Those same two teams converted via pass 18 of 28. All other games were 27% on passes.

No other teams converted more than 50% with TCU being the best right at 50.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was told that the beatdown was so demoralizing and thorough, that Cam actually changed Ovie’s name to Ogie after the last pancake and Sark and PK immediately starting using the new name.

Some 2021 3rd down defensive stats to chew on. I ran thru the play-by-play of each game pretty quickly so…..

We were #101 in allowing a 42% conversion rate.

Obviously you can’t take out any games. If that were allowed and you choose two, that’d be KU and WVU. Our conversions allowed drops to 36.8% for about 43rd in the country.

Those same two teams converted via pass 18 of 28. All other games were 27% on passes.

No other teams converted more than 50% with TCU being the best right at 50.

Unreal…

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Have a chance:

Collins, Sweat, Ojomo, Coburn, Jameson, Overshown, Sorrel, Thompson, Crawford, Barron, Watts. 
That’s 11 guys I wouldn’t be shocked to see make a roster someday.  Now- are any of them going to be multi year starters?  Probably not. Over under on those guys making a roster?  4 I think. 

That’s pathetic talent. 

40 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

That’s pathetic talent. 

It’s not great. The offense is so much better. But, if they develop it’s not completely and utterly hopeless. If they can attain mediocrity and the offense is really really good like it has as a potential ceiling that’s a team that can win this conference. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s not great. The offense is so much better. But, if they develop it’s not completely and utterly hopeless. If they can attain mediocrity and the offense is really really good like it has as a potential ceiling that’s a team that can win this conference. 

OU is the blueprint this year. Offensive talent to win the Big12 by simply out scoring opponents. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

17 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

2007 was a weird season.  i remember being pissed after the season ended and shocked at how good the 2008 team was.

colt threw a lot of INT's in '07 IIRC.

The 2007 team was the worst team of the decade and they still won 10 games. It was a weird season for college football overall. Colt regressed some that year and made a handful of freshman mistakes. 

This is what I remember most from the 07 season; our team dancing on the sidelines to soulja boy while losing to UCF.... had to comeback to win 35-32.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1