2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

August 7th

He talked a lot about running 21 personnel on offense this year. I couldn’t tell whether he thinks that is something the team has been installing all offseason and intends to feature this year, or whether that’s just his personal opinion of how to best deploy our roster. 

7 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

He talked a lot about running 21 personnel on offense this year. I couldn’t tell whether he thinks that is something the team has been installing all offseason and intends to feature this year, or whether that’s just his personal opinion of how to best deploy our roster. 

I took it as something he would do a lot of with our personnel. It forces the defense to stay in their base package. In this instance you would almost always get a LB paired on a skill position player in passing situations. If the D chooses to stay in nickel, the offense has a significant size advantage in the run game. Most teams can't do this because of depth and skilled depth at the RB spot. That is far from a problem at Texas this season.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

I took it as something he would do a lot of with our personnel. It forces the defense to stay in their base package. In this instance you would almost always get a LB paired on a skill position player in passing situations. If the D choses to stay in nickel, the offense has a significant size advantage in the run game. Most teams can't do this because of depth and skilled depth at the RB spot. That is far from a problem at Texas this season.

Coach Marion's Go-go gots the 21 part when the TE tightens up, and we look to have some burnt ends that can block AND catch. Not sure we want Card running it, positive we don't want Ewers there... what about QB3?

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Coach Marion's Go-go gots the 21 part when the TE tightens up, and we look to have some burnt ends that can block AND catch. Not sure we want Card running it, positive we don't want Ewers there... what about QB3?

I'm confused, what does the QB running the ball have to do with the 21 personnel group? Is that a Go-Go thing? Never looked at any of the Go-Go offense.

Far as I can tell, Go-go is part Spread and part Triple. So yeah, QB run prolly required. QB in shotgun, 2 RBs together on one side or other of QB. Shifts, motions, Tempo; More mismatch options. Some of it got into Pitt's O last year and prospered, to the point of WR winning Biletnikoff and HC complaining about O scoring too fast and not giving D time to rest. 

24 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Far as I can tell, Go-go is part Spread and part Triple. So yeah, QB run prolly required. QB in shotgun, 2 RBs together on one side or other of QB. Shifts, motions, Tempo; More mismatch options. Some of it got into Pitt's O last year and prospered, to the point of WR winning Biletnikoff and HC complaining about O scoring too fast and not giving D time to rest. 

Did it prosper because it is a really good offense or because defenses weren't used to seeing it?

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

2 hours ago, salonghorn said:

Did it prosper because it is a really good offense or because defenses weren't used to seeing it?

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Why not both?

A couple of NFL teams have called some Go-Go without a QB that runs. Of course, DTQB makes it more stressful. It's the 2 RBs that make it difficult on defenses. Think Pony Express.

10 minutes ago, Slacks said:

A couple of NFL teams have called some Go-Go without a QB that runs. Of course, DTQB makes it more stressful. It's the 2 RBs that make it difficult on defenses. Think Pony Express.

I dont think I have ever seen a pure Go-Go offense, outside of looking up Marion's history. That said a lot of teams, like everything else, have stolen a few concepts and integrated them. I wonder if anyone runs it in Texas HS

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

With the Vernon Broughton positivity, I feel like this thread only has seconds to live before @Burt Macklin shows up to drop a giant turd on it. 

You missed Howe’s other tweet. He said the only player on either side of the ball looking more explosive and more ready to make an impact this year is Troy Omeire. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1

OB practice notes from today

Spoiler

- Practice was in shoulder pads and helmets, but there were some physical team settings. There isn't much true live tackling and taking guys to the ground, but they are gearing up towards that.

- About the quarterbacks, the staff likes what they see out of both Card and Ewers. Ewers has a ton of natural talent and Card is talented plus he knows the system well.

- As far as the team periods to start practice Monday, Hudson Card worked with the first team and Quinn Ewers was working with the second team. We're told that Card and Ewers are splitting first-team reps, but as for the first guy up with the ones, at least on Monday, it was Card for what it is worth.

- Even though Card was with the first team, we heard one of the best highlight-reel connections was on a deep ball from Ewers to Tarique Milton, who climbed the ladder to make a big catch versus DB Jamier Johnson. Milton continues to be someone mentioned as exceeding expectations this fall working with the twos behind Jordan Whittington.

- The starting offensive line has apparently not really been tinkered with as of yet. From all we're hearing, the starting unit through this portion of install remains Andrej Karic, Hayden Conner, Jake Majors, Junior Angilau and Christian Jones.

- The group that was working as the third offensive line through the first two practices open to the media is now basically the second offensive line, with a couple of changes, and with certain players seeming to move interchangeably between the second and third groups.

- As of now, Kelvin Banks looks locked in as 2nd LT. At LG, it was a lot of Malik Agbo in the initial group of freshmen, but apparently Cole Hutson has been getting more work there recently. Logan Parr remains with the second group at center while it's been more Conner Roberston with the threes. At RG and RT, DJ Campbell and Cam Williams seem pretty well entrenched in those spots on the two deep with a lot of work at 3rd RG going to Max Merrill and 3rd RT going to Neto Umeozulu.

- It appears that TE Jahleel Billingsley has worked his way back onto the field and is participating normally, we'll keep an eye on that one.

- LB Luke Brockermeyer still isn't really back to 100% per this person, when the team goes to some of the more physical team-like drills, he's off on the side working with trainers.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You do you but telling everyone that you can't figure out an obvious joke that Helobious got immediately is bold. 

I guess, I am clearly lost. I have no idea how that is obvious besides it being so obscure it could be about any football team on the planet. Maybe that is the joke. Not all that funny if it is. Doesn't fit my sense of humor I guess.

Edited by Longhornlove

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

I agree that a running QB is not absolutely needful, but he should be able to run often enough so the D can't sell out and ignore the QB keep completely.

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

This upcoming season is starting to feel very 7-5ish

Quinn can’t get separation from Card and fucking Coburn is our best pass rusher? Fuck me with a spoon

You sure about that? Seems like a futureman moment.

Are You Sure About That GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 4