2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

10 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I’m leaning towards Broughton didn’t suddenly go from JAG in the spring to amazing five practices into August. But I would love to be wrong. 

I’m all in on cheering for the possibility that he’s gone full Lattimer from The Program in order to merit more playing time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Oh I absolutely knew that would happen. I just think the charade is stupid. I’m not interested in ever imagining a world, even for a week, where Max Merrill is penciled in on the depth chart in front of 5 star studs, or where Neyor spends the first week of spring camp behind walk on WR. I understand what’s going on in their football tradition, I just think it’s pointless and stupid to do it this way. 

It blows my mind that anyone gives a shit about what the depth chart looks like during the first few weeks of camp.  Why even bother to have an opinion? It means nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I have to say, as a Jesuit grad (albeit much older) I'm disappointed that all the anger and vitriol is always directed at my jebbie brothers Jett and Max.

There are plenty of other white guys you can shit on.

Sad.

AMDG

Not sure if serious, but it has nothing to do with the fact that they’re white. It has more to do with the fact that neither one has any business being on the field nor on scholarship at Texas. Not blaming them for their status or their opportunity, but that’s what they represent.  

Here’s hoping they become billionaire businessmen soon after graduation and come back to support future players. 

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Not sure if serious, but it has nothing to do with the fact that they’re white. It has more to do with the fact that neither one has any business being on the field nor on scholarship at Texas. Not blaming them for their status or their opportunity, but that’s what they represent.  

Here’s hoping they become billionaire businessmen soon after graduation and come back to support future players. 

It was partly tongue-in-cheek..It's just funny how they get singled out.

Every team needs those kinds of GPA boosters. lol 

19 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Merril's mother is a public figure. She's a shark who made a fortune in the electricity and gas arena and might still be doing so. Dude is already there as far as that goes. 

I don't really have a negative thing to say about guys sitting at the bottom of a roster, personally. You can find the bottom 5 of an 80-85 man allotment at every school that has some sort of story other than "whiffed on the evaluation".

Merril is on the Texas roster because Hand was a buffoon and Merril really wanted to play for Texas. If that guy somehow winds up getting snaps on the two-deep at any point in his career, it is a testament to true fucking grit. He's outmanned physically and he is set for life. You have to be a fucking killer to climb up out of that and get meaningful snaps when the program is competent and you're getting your head beat in year round as the runty tackle dummy. When Sarkisian's staff saw everyone working out last winter for the first time, Merril was allegedly the first guy named that wasn't going to make it. Like the man who fell from the 60 story building said as he passed floor 30, "so far, so good" for Max Merril. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

If you believe practice reports and FCB, then I bet you go broke every time you hit the strip club because you really believe, for those few Def Leppard songs, that Cinnamon thinks your acne and man tits are sooo cute.

hurt-feelings.gif

Edited by Davis Lane
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

TFB

Spoiler

I connected with a source last night who gave me some pretty interesting insight regarding the quarterback situation with Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers.

I won’t sugarcoat this one and it likely is not much of a surprise to many on the board.

The source said the quarterback job was “Ewers’ to lose.”

A reasoning for the favor leaning towards the redshirt freshman is the ability for the playbook to be used to its fullest extent. Just last week I mentioned the higher ceiling Ewers possesses from a talent perspective is likely going to be a determining factor and it sounds like that has exactly played into the decision.

My source added Ewers is the better quarterback in the RPO game and has the necessary consistency on deep passes which was a problem plaguing the Longhorns all season in 2021.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

I never spoke poorly of either guy that I can recall, and I actually appreciated Bush’s tenacity on the edge despite being so overmatched last year. Part of the adjustments from last year’s debacle is getting the guys ready to play sound defense. I also believe that involves preventing him from taking defensive snaps with the game in doubt.

I hope he can inspire his more physically gifted teammates to play with his effort and intensity, because then this team will have a chance.

Edited by Atticus

25 minutes ago, Ill said:

TFB

Hide contents

I connected with a source last night who gave me some pretty interesting insight regarding the quarterback situation with Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers.

I won’t sugarcoat this one and it likely is not much of a surprise to many on the board.

The source said the quarterback job was “Ewers’ to lose.”

A reasoning for the favor leaning towards the redshirt freshman is the ability for the playbook to be used to its fullest extent. Just last week I mentioned the higher ceiling Ewers possesses from a talent perspective is likely going to be a determining factor and it sounds like that has exactly played into the decision.

My source added Ewers is the better quarterback in the RPO game and has the necessary consistency on deep passes which was a problem plaguing the Longhorns all season in 2021.

Shocked Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Few IT practice notes from yesterday

Spoiler

- DeMarvion Overshown is looking good at Edge. There will be times where he’s still a Will, others where he’s Sam, and then some at Buck. It will depend on the situation but on 3rd and long, he’s going to be coming for the quarterback from….somewhere.

- This will only work if Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey can handle Will. The coaches already have a lot of trust in “Tuck.” David Gbenda will play, too, but we continue to hear more about the James Madison transfer.

- Safety is a bit of a concern. Jerrin Thompson is the most reliable and has improved since last year. Anthony Cook is said to still be adapting. They’re struggling to find consistency as of right now.

- At corner, there still working to get depth game-ready but the starters, D’Shawn Jamison and Ryan Watts, will do just fine.

- Too rosy: The O-line looks much better than last season, and even better than the spring. That aligns with them “holding their own” on Saturday, but zero-sum football should have all our expectations properly calibrated. I’m from Missouri but there is optimism behind the scenes.

- The young offensive lineman are moving up the depth chart, but none of them are with the first team except Cole Hutson when Junior Angilau plays center. If they had a game tomorrow, the O-line would be Karic-Conner-Majors-Angilau-Jones. But, Banks and Hutson would play and Campbell and Williams might.

- There was a rumor going around that Hudson Card got the bulk of first team reps in practice on Tuesday. That doesn’t really check out. In different periods different quarterbacks got more reps but it doesn’t sound like the coaches were favoring Card.

- A concern I had coming into Fall and still have is defensive identity. It sounds like they’ll be pretty multiple and having seen low IQ team defense for much of the lost decade that’s a concern. If they’re a jack of all trades, master of none, that could work. If they’re confused from one game to the next that’s when fundamentals breakdown and we’ve seen that before under previous staffs. These coaches have good reputations for teaching but being multiple requires a greater understanding from the players.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Few IT practice notes from yesterday

Hide contents

- DeMarvion Overshown is looking good at Edge. There will be times where he’s still a Will, others where he’s Sam, and then some at Buck. It will depend on the situation but on 3rd and long, he’s going to be coming for the quarterback from….somewhere.

- This will only work if Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey can handle Will. The coaches already have a lot of trust in “Tuck.” David Gbenda will play, too, but we continue to hear more about the James Madison transfer.

- Safety is a bit of a concern. Jerrin Thompson is the most reliable and has improved since last year. Anthony Cook is said to still be adapting. They’re struggling to find consistency as of right now.

- At corner, there still working to get depth game-ready but the starters, D’Shawn Jamison and Ryan Watts, will do just fine.

- Too rosy: The O-line looks much better than last season, and even better than the spring. That aligns with them “holding their own” on Saturday, but zero-sum football should have all our expectations properly calibrated. I’m from Missouri but there is optimism behind the scenes.

- The young offensive lineman are moving up the depth chart, but none of them are with the first team except Cole Hutson when Junior Angilau plays center. If they had a game tomorrow, the O-line would be Karic-Conner-Majors-Angilau-Jones. But, Banks and Hutson would play and Campbell and Williams might.

- There was a rumor going around that Hudson Card got the bulk of first team reps in practice on Tuesday. That doesn’t really check out. In different periods different quarterbacks got more reps but it doesn’t sound like the coaches were favoring Card.

- A concern I had coming into Fall and still have is defensive identity. It sounds like they’ll be pretty multiple and having seen low IQ team defense for much of the lost decade that’s a concern. If they’re a jack of all trades, master of none, that could work. If they’re confused from one game to the next that’s when fundamentals breakdown and we’ve seen that before under previous staffs. These coaches have good reputations for teaching but being multiple requires a greater understanding from the players.

The 9.95 spin on defense is just becoming tedious. It's a little early in the typical Texas DC cycle, but same old shit. (Only difference is PK is the frist DC not to have a very good year 1). 9.95s laud that hire. Speak platitudes about the multiple looks, flexibility, and etc. Somewhere around the middle of the second season it is the scheme doesnt fit, too complex, etc.. I think this started around Manny's times and they just kept the outline and change a few things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

If you believe practice reports and FCB, then I bet you go broke every time you hit the strip club because you really believe, for those few Def Leppard songs, that Cinnamon thinks your acne and man tits are sooo cute.

I used to live in apartments in Arlington across the breezeway from two strippers.  They had a motto, "When you come to a strip club you arent getting F'd, but you will get F'd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

QE’s talent vs card looked clear in the spring game and Card’s only advantage, reportedly, is he’s had an extra year of reps. It seems like this game of splitting reps is only slowing QEs progression and maybe it’s to keep card from transferring, but I wish they’d just put everything into QE development.

3 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

QE’s talent vs card looked clear in the spring game and Card’s only advantage, reportedly, is he’s had an extra year of reps. It seems like this game of splitting reps is only slowing QEs progression and maybe it’s to keep card from transferring, but I wish they’d just put everything into QE development.

My guess would be Ewers is named the starter a week from today.

And by a week from today, I mean next Monday. A week from yesterday. 

Edited by Red Five
idiocy
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

My guess would be Ewers is named the starter a week from today.

And by a week from today, I mean next Monday. A week from yesterday. 

If Ewers outplays him in the scrimmage, I agree 

If he doesn’t or it’s even, it will stretch on another week. And if it happens multiple scrimmages then welp.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Rage+1 1

QBs who may be ready to take a snap in D1 drop off pretty quick after Card. I don'r really want him to start, but I feel a little better with him around for one more season. If he has made major progress in the area of not shitting himself, then I want to find out in garbage time and good for him. I don't want Malik Murphy to get tossed in because of something I will not say out loud. If the season started today who would be QB3? I don't know but I know I don't want him to be QB2.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It seems that every DC here seems to want to force their schemes whether complicated or not on our players.  It seems that our best defenses generally stem from really simplifying and dumbing down the concepts and letting them just be athletes.  This defense still has blue chip athletes at every spot.  When things get tough, I really don't understand why we don't just go to 4-2-5- or 4-3-4 and put your best 11 out there.  Keep it simple and let them attack the ball.  This method may not make us look like UGA or BAMA, but I'm sure it will help us avoid letting Kansas punk us at home and drop 50 on us with walk-ons.  The only ones that really did this were Muschamp, Greg Robinson, and Chris Ash.  Not keeping Ash was probably a very stupid move from a continuity stand point and seeing improvement during his year here.  I would much rather have Ash and Hutzler over PK and Choate.

Agree completely. Keeping Ash would've helped tremendously last year as it would've avoided a schematic overhaul. Several of our players already had a role in Ash's defense (Overshown, Adimora). A 4-2-5 scheme also seems to pair better with in state recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

QBs who may be ready to take a snap in D1 drop off pretty quick after Card. I don'r really want him to start, but I feel a little better with him around for one more season. If he has made major progress in the area of not shitting himself, then I want to find out in garbage time and good for him. I don't want Malik Murphy to get tossed in because of something I will not say out loud. If the season started today who would be QB3? I don't know but I know I don't want him to be QB2.

@immamac just said that race has nothing to do with football.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It seems that every DC here seems to want to force their schemes whether complicated or not on our players.  It seems that our best defenses generally stem from really simplifying and dumbing down the concepts and letting them just be athletes.  This defense still has blue chip athletes at every spot.  When things get tough, I really don't understand why we don't just go to 4-2-5- or 4-3-4 and put your best 11 out there.  Keep it simple and let them attack the ball.  This method may not make us look like UGA or BAMA, but I'm sure it will help us avoid letting Kansas punk us at home and drop 50 on us with walk-ons.  The only ones that really did this were Muschamp, Greg Robinson, and Chris Ash.  Not keeping Ash was probably a very stupid move from a continuity stand point and seeing improvement during his year here.  I would much rather have Ash and Hutzler over PK and Choate.

putting our best 11 out there might require us to run a 3-1-7.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I just went over this (I did it quickly by hand, I so apologize if something is off).. These stats are not for the weak nor the timid

DFEI   Pts/drive ranking
2021 52 PK 95
2020 40 Ash 49
2019 45 Orlando 61
2018 30 Orlando 31
2017 7 Orlando 11
2016 44 Bedford 61
2015 41 Bedford 72
2014 12 Bedford 14
2013 22 Diaz/Robinson 30
2012 47 Diaz 75
2011 3 Diaz  10
2010 29 Muschamp 36
2009 3 Muschamp 8
2008 4 Muschamp 20
2007 42 Akina 43

I think the craziest statement is that the defensive expectations have become so low, that people view Ash as a homerun. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Agree completely. Keeping Ash would've helped tremendously last year as it would've avoided a schematic overhaul. Several of our players already had a role in Ash's defense (Overshown, Adimora). A 4-2-5 scheme also seems to pair better with in state recruiting.

Overshown was bad in 2020 at LB. Him and Juwan Mitchell were the worst LB duo in the Big 12. But we had Ossai and Graham anchoring our DL and Sterns and Chris Brown in the backend to cover up for them.

• Hook 'Em 2