2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

This will only work if Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey can handle Will. The coaches already have a lot of trust in “Tuck.” David Gbenda will play, too, but we continue to hear more about the James Madison transfer.

I am more of a pessimist than most on this board but the optimism I am most embracing for this fall is that DTD will get significant playing time. He will take proper angles to the ball and will finish tackles. A LB doing this last year could have easily got us 2 additional wins. 

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It seems that every DC here seems to want to force their schemes whether complicated or not on our players.  It seems that our best defenses generally stem from really simplifying and dumbing down the concepts and letting them just be athletes.  This defense still has blue chip athletes at every spot.  When things get tough, I really don't understand why we don't just go to 4-2-5- or 4-3-4 and put your best 11 out there.  Keep it simple and let them attack the ball.  This method may not make us look like UGA or BAMA, but I'm sure it will help us avoid letting Kansas punk us at home and drop 50 on us with walk-ons.  The only ones that really did this were Muschamp, Greg Robinson, and Chris Ash.  Not keeping Ash was probably a very stupid move from a continuity stand point and seeing improvement during his year here.  I would much rather have Ash and Hutzler over PK and Choate.

It's times like these that make a person wish Gerg weren't dead. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I get the overall premise of your point but 

1) we do not have blue chip athletes at every spot

2) The 2-4-5 IS the 4-2-5. Literally one of the only differences is the defensive ends have some LB responsibilities. Who would we deploy at DE in a 4-3? Ojomo and Sorrell? It’s the same issue we face right now.

3) Ash did not like to recruit and was attached at the hip with Valai, who was a joke. So you keep those two and Hutzler and Drayton and Coleman and that point why are you even making a coaching change? The defense was not all sunshine and roses in 2020.

4) and yes, every coordinator in the history of the world on both sides of the ball run “their schemes”. It’s what got them the job. No coach at any level in any sport is just going to start winging it with stuff they aren’t familiar with/comfortable with. PK ran a ton of 3 man front stuff the second half of last year which is not what he typically does. It didn’t help. Saying he just continually tried the same stuff over and over is not accurate. We had MAJOR weaknesses at all 3 levels. No scheme in the world could cover up for that.

Hutzler is really the only guy I was wishing we would have kept last season. Ash was a competent DC, but I am pretty sure Sark was caught off guard by the fact that he missed on both Muschamp and Odom. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Vertigo said:

Hutzler is really the only guy I was wishing we would have kept last season. Ash was a competent DC, but I am pretty sure Sark was caught off guard by the fact that he missed on both Muschamp and Odom. 

I can see why Muschamp didn’t feeling like coming back, but I really wonder why Odom said no.

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I can see why Muschamp didn’t feeling like coming back, but I really wonder why Odom said no.

A big hangup was he wanted to bring Sam Carter as his CB coach and Carter only had 1 year of on field experience (and ended up getting run out of Arkansas this past year because the players hated him).

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 9

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A big hangup was he wanted to bring Sam Carter as his CB coach and Carter only had 1 year of on field experience (and ended up getting run out of Arkansas this past year because the players hated him).

Odom was the guy I wanted at DC.  I would have taken Carter for a year if it would have gotten us Odom. I think we had already hired or agreed to the secondary coaches thinking we had Muschamp tho, before we made the pivot to Odom.

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Poster who normally has good info

Reveal hidden contents

Spoke via phone to a friend who was able to watch Mondays practice, he is a retired high school coach and friend of some BMDs.
He was focused on the OL and DL so didnt get much info on anything other than that and they were just in shells but he said they were getting physical.

First just some of his impressions== He said Coach Flood was right in their face wanting them to get every detail right,one example was using their hands to get a good initial punch to re direct linemen, he was showing them how to drop their hips a bit to get their legs into it more.==more on that in a bit.

Individual impressions--Hayden Conner-At this point he is our most valuable lineman-he is able to play guard or tackle equally effectively and is very much a coach on the field for the younger guys. The coach used him several times to show how he wanted things done.

Andrev Karic is scrappy,no lack of effort on his part for sure just doesnt quite have the same level of length and athleticism as Banks at left tackle.

Jake Majors seems to have added some good weight and was moving well.

Banks is impressive ,whether its run blocking or pass protection.depending on how fast he can pick up the blitz pickups and the rest of the OL calls I expect he will be on the field.the physical aspect isnt going to be a problem at all.

The whole freshman OL was damn impressive winning more of their one on ones than they lost in individual drills.
Then when they worked as a unit they were equally as impressive moving the ball effortlessly against the 2nd defense, Brooks had like two TDs and I think it was Blue had several long runs and Ewers was throwing the ball all over the field.
The right side of the line,Campell (Who some of the players were calling Bull,as in Bull Doza)and Williams did most off the damage in the run game.

Back to the teaching point mentioned earlier by coach Flood-- During one play Agbo absolutley stoned his guy by sinking his hip and using his legs to increase his punch,Flood stopped everything and made quite a point to show everyone what correct technique does for you.
Then later in the practice, Cam Williams was getting beat to the outside on a pass rush .he was off balanced but managed to punch out with one arm and still shoved the guy five yars back.
Flood stopped everything again and said that is exactly what we dont want because we cant all be freaks like big Cam,Everyone got a good laugh and it was ovious how much his guys like playing for him.
He made Cam do it again and to no ones surprise the DE ended up flat on his back

Sure hope it’s not Collins and Sweat getting pushed around by the freshman/second team OL.

If this update is accurate, we’re turbo fucked at DL/no satyanish

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Odom was the guy I wanted at DC.  I would have taken Carter for a year if it would have gotten us Odom. I think we had already hired or agreed to the secondary coaches thinking we had Muschamp tho, before we made the pivot to Odom.

Davis, Hutzler and Gideon are all Muschamp guys so that would have been 4 of the 5 guys on defense. Only thing Muschamp would have had to do was find a guy to coach corners.

Sam Carter is basically the equivalent to Valai so as good as Odom is that would have been tough to stomach.

Whatever at this point. Is what it is.

9 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Sure hope it’s not Collins and Sweat getting pushed around by the freshman/second team OL.

If this update is accurate, we’re turbo fucked at DL/no satyanish

It’s year 3 now of waiting for Sweat and Collins. Both have flashed but at some point we just need to acknowledge neither has played (or practiced, it seems) at a level where they should be counted on for big production. They seem to be complete wildcards at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Few IT practice notes from yesterday

Hide contents

- DeMarvion Overshown is looking good at Edge. There will be times where he’s still a Will, others where he’s Sam, and then some at Buck. It will depend on the situation but on 3rd and long, he’s going to be coming for the quarterback from….somewhere.

- This will only work if Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey can handle Will. The coaches already have a lot of trust in “Tuck.” David Gbenda will play, too, but we continue to hear more about the James Madison transfer.

- Safety is a bit of a concern. Jerrin Thompson is the most reliable and has improved since last year. Anthony Cook is said to still be adapting. They’re struggling to find consistency as of right now.

- At corner, there still working to get depth game-ready but the starters, D’Shawn Jamison and Ryan Watts, will do just fine.

- Too rosy: The O-line looks much better than last season, and even better than the spring. That aligns with them “holding their own” on Saturday, but zero-sum football should have all our expectations properly calibrated. I’m from Missouri but there is optimism behind the scenes.

- The young offensive lineman are moving up the depth chart, but none of them are with the first team except Cole Hutson when Junior Angilau plays center. If they had a game tomorrow, the O-line would be Karic-Conner-Majors-Angilau-Jones. But, Banks and Hutson would play and Campbell and Williams might.

- There was a rumor going around that Hudson Card got the bulk of first team reps in practice on Tuesday. That doesn’t really check out. In different periods different quarterbacks got more reps but it doesn’t sound like the coaches were favoring Card.

- A concern I had coming into Fall and still have is defensive identity. It sounds like they’ll be pretty multiple and having seen low IQ team defense for much of the lost decade that’s a concern. If they’re a jack of all trades, master of none, that could work. If they’re confused from one game to the next that’s when fundamentals breakdown and we’ve seen that before under previous staffs. These coaches have good reputations for teaching but being multiple requires a greater understanding from the players.

Saftey scares me a lot. . I was hoping Crawford would make the leap and grab it but hearing this and Crawford still not being able to win the job hurts 

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Saftey scares me a lot. . I was hoping Crawford would make the leap and grab it but hearing this and Crawford still not being able to win the job hurts 

I hope Crawford doesn't end up being another one of those athletic track guys who can jump out of the gym and looks like a million bucks in workouts but can't do football stuff. I understand he switched positions but he's coming up on his 3rd year in the program so it's time to make a move.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I hope I am wrong, but Kitan Crawford gives me an Adrian Phillips vibe.  That was my comment a day or 2 ago on Kitan. Safety is scary, but outside of interior DL what position on defense isnt scary

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I hope Crawford doesn't end up being another one of those athletic track guys who can jump out of the gym and looks like a million bucks in workouts but can't do football stuff. I understand he switched positions but he's coming up on his 3rd year in the program so it's time to make a move.

I predict he's going to make a move alright, just not one in our favor.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I hope I am wrong, but Kitan Crawford gives me an Adrian Phillips vibe.  That was my comment a day or 2 ago on Kitan. Safety is scary, but outside of interior DL what position on defense isnt scary

Even Adrian Phillips still started close to 30 games at Texas.

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Would take Adrian Phillips on this defense in a heartbeat

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Like current day Adrian Phillips or Texas Adrian Phillips?

He might have made a difference, but he also exhibited some similar traits to our entire defense from last year when he was here.
just thinking of a player that was better in the NFL, than as a Longhorn. Wasnt in anyway a knock on Phillips.

Marcus Wilkins.

1 hour ago, Teebox said:

Any starter from the 2012 and 2013 defenses is an upgrade over what we have. 

Jackson Jeffcoat - massive upgrade

Malcom Brown - him alone would change the complexion of this year’s defense 

Chris Whaley - yes

Alex Okafor - him alone would change the complexion of this year’s defense 

Jordan Hicks - massive upgrade over any LB in our two deep

Steve Edmond - yes

Peter Jinkens - was a JAG, but would’ve started last year and this year

Quandre Diggs - same as Okafor/Brown

Adrian Phillips - yes

Carrington Byndum - upgrade

Kenny Vaccaro - same as Okafor/Brown

This makes me wonder if PK will ever be able to recruit at that level. We had some badass defensive rosters during our dark decade (2011, 2012, 2014, 2017).

Edited by USNALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Chris Whaley - yes

Steve Edmond - yes

Adrian Phillips - yes

This makes me wonder if PK will ever be able to recruit at that level. We had some badass defensive rosters during our dark decade (2011, 2012, 2014, 2017).

Defense was certainly not the problem in 2014 and 2017. Give those teams last years offense and we win 10 games easily. 

Which begs the question, in today's age of football, if you are going to be below average to bad on one side of the ball and great on the other, which side of the ball would you rather be below average to bad in?

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Chris Whaley - yes

Steve Edmond - yes

Adrian Phillips - yes

I posted pts allowed per possession above. Texas has had 1 defense that finished above 49 in the last 7 years (2 that finished outside the top 40 in the prior 8 years). That is just god awful for a team that has a recruiting advantage over the large majority of college football. Makes you wonder how bad the evaluations have been on that side of the ball and how costly missing on the elite Texas talent has been. Star power on the defense has just been bad for a long time. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We had MAJOR weaknesses at all 3 levels. No scheme in the world could cover up for that.

I've been saying this for 10 fucking years, and still believe it. No DC can put up the worst defense of all time with decent players... 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Defense was certainly not the problem in 2014 and 2017. Give those teams last years offense and we win 10 games easily. 

Which begs the question, in today's age of football, if you are going to be below average to bad on one side of the ball and great on the other, which side of the ball would you rather be below average to bad in?

Offense. You can’t win if you don’t score. And if you always score, it’s tough to lose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I predict he's going to make a move alright, just not one in our favor.

Have we ever gotten a straight answer why Crawford was moved from CB to FS?

Seeing how much IT & Horns247 hyped up Crawford as CB prospect ever since he committed to UT, just for him to move to safety this year was a shocker.

17 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I've been saying this for 10 fucking years, and still believe it. No DC can put up the worst defense of all time with decent players... 

scale of 1-10… Is there a single group on the defense that you would rate 6 or higher 

groups:

Interior DL

Edge

LB

CB 

Safety 

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Smartass answer: Neither. Give me the 2005 squad.

Real answer: In today's age, give me the unstoppable offense, and below average defense. Especially if said offense can be great at both quick strike and ball control.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Seeing how much IT & Horns247 hyped up Crawford as CB prospect ever since he committed to UT, just for him to move to safety this year was a shocker.

Well, Sarkisian mentioned yesterday how he wants his corners to preferably be over 6 foot and have a lot of length. Does Crawford have the length to stick at corner in this system? I know he is athletic but maybe his skillset is better suited for safety assuming the football IQ stuff is developed.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, Sarkisian mentioned yesterday how he wants his corners to preferably be over 6 foot and have a lot of length. Does Crawford have the length to stick at corner in this system? I know he is athletic but maybe his skillset is better suited for safety assuming the football IQ stuff is developed.

He is listed at 5’11, so that shouldn’t be a big issue. Jamison 5’10. Muhammad is listed at 5’11.5, so the rule can’t be that strict

scale of 1-10… Is there a single group on the defense that you would rate 6 or higher 

groups:

Interior DL

Edge

LB

CB 

Safety 

On what scale? Is this rating them within the use of the current scheme? Or factoring in potential? Or comfort level?

If we are just going 1-10 on my confidence level of a unit, with 1 being not a FBS level unit and 10 being a unit you would see at Georgia, I would say something like:

Interior DL- 5 (If Coburn really did improve his motor, Murphy stays consistent and we can get one of Sweat or Collins to play like it's a contract year, then this a 7 unit).

Edge- 4 (if you consider DMO an edge)

LB- 4 (DTD is a wildcard here. If he proves he can translate what he showed at JMU, which is he can sort through the pile can find the ballcarrier, this unit can be a 5 or 6)

CB- 6 (if you include Barron. Obviously Watts is a big unknown. I'm gonna assume he will be at least average. If he proves to be better than Josh Thompson then maybe this bumps up to a 7).

S- 5?? (Hard for me to rate this unit considering both starters will be new. We know Cook will probably be average at best and knows all the calls. Really just comes down to the other guy)

He is listed at 5’11, so that shouldn’t be a big issue. Jamison 5’10. Muhammad is listed at 5’11.5, so the rule can’t be that strict

I'm gonna guess wingspan is more important than height. Muhammad has a 75+ inch wingspan. Not sure about Jamison or Crawford.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

On what scale? Is this rating them within the use of the current scheme? Or factoring in potential? Or comfort level?

If we are just going 1-10 on my confidence level of a unit, with 1 being not a FBS level unit and 10 being a unit you would see at Georgia, I would say something like:

Interior DL- 5 (If Coburn really did improve his motor, Murphy stays consistent and we can get one of Sweat or Collins to play like it's a contract year, then this a 7 unit).

Edge- 4 (if you consider DMO an edge)

LB- 4 (DTD is a wildcard here. If he proves he can translate what he showed at JMU, which is he can sort through the pile can find the ballcarrier, this unit can be a 5 or 6)

CB- 6 (if you include Barron. Obviously Watts is a big unknown. I'm gonna assume he will be at least average. If he proves to be better than Josh Thompson then maybe this bumps up to a 7).

S- 5?? (Hard for me to rate this unit considering both starters will be new. We know Cook will probably be average at best and knows all the calls. Really just comes down to the other guy)

I think Nickel goes to Safety traditionally, but not a big deal. 

for me 

IDL- 5 seems right w/ upside

EDGE- 3 

LB- 5 (probably little higher than most here)

CB- 4

safety- 4 

just an exercise to highlight @Slacks point about there being holes at every level 

Every position on D has enough talent/athleticism to be top 25 in the country. That ability just needs to be developed and put in a position to succeed. Recruiting is not the reason our defense was in the 100s last year (although you can certainly give the previous staff most of the blame on development).

• Like 1