2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

How’s the kid from Aledo looking?

Like a sure fire, can't miss, bona-fide contender for the next great hope. Hearing the coaches love him, he works his ass off, and if he can just find a way to learn to play football at this level he's going to be a star. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

They have members of their subscriber base now who are asking why is Maalik not getting mentioned in the QB competition he should be in the mix to start week 1. Which I’m assuming is actually what they want. Zig while everyone else zags.

IT also has notable faction of Malik Murphy stans.

5 hours ago, TornACL said:

Last year on a scale of 1-10 I would give the DL a 0.5 so unless they're turning over the entire line to new dudes we're gonna have to see a remarkable year over year improvement to get to 5.

Maybe we’ll get to see some of that “Development” I’ve been hearing about. 

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

So they are pandering to their subscribers just to watch them be crushed. That's kinda evil no. Funny, those nitwits deserve it for paying that fat lying cheese guzzling fucktard a dime.

No, this is literally what every salesman/business owner/marketing guru is trying to do every single day since the beginning of society. Get them to buy, then get them to need. “First ones free, baby…”

Bobby:

Couple of team notes from yesterday:

1. True freshman OL Cole Hutson ran some with the 1s yesterday. And that was without fellow guard Junior Angilau displacing Jake Majors at center.

In other words, Hutson is clearly pushing for first team reps at guard, regardless of whether it’s Junior Angilau or Majors at center.

As we’ve reported previously, Hutson’s football IQ and tenacity are both seen as plus traits.

2. Jordan Whittington specifically identified Savion Red as a player of note in yesterday’s media availability. Red continues to work out of the slot and continues to work at punt returner.

I am told his work at punt returner - he is appearing both sure-handed and decisive - could get him on the field as soon or sooner than any other true freshman.

Obviously, D’Shawn Jamison and Xavier Worthy will also return punts at times. But what the media saw early in camp from Red appears to be continuing into the second week of practice.

I like the idea of Majors getting oust at center and Angilau stepping in. Majors is not good vs larger interior linemen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Droopy said:

Maybe we’ll get to see some of that “Development” I’ve been hearing about. 

No, this is literally what every salesman/business owner/marketing guru is trying to do every single day since the beginning of society. Get them to buy, then get them to need. “First ones free, baby…”

and dealer

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Heard this stat on the Longhorn Blitz podcast this afternoon. Last year on 3rd down and 10 or more….QB’s were 17 of 21 for 229 yards against Texas. 81% completion. 

Eighty. One.

i mean, i get it but assuming most of those are going to be long yards to go where you are ok giving up passes and are playing the first down line. who cares about the yardage or the completion rate honestly, how many of those went for 1st downs? that is what i care about.

17/21 for 229 yards, 10.90 yards per attempt, 13.47 yards per completion.

i poked around play by plays and the OU game just straight up murdered this statistic. in the OU Game on 3rd and 10+ they were 4/5 for 96 yards and 2 TDs with 1 first down.

Spoiler
  • 3rd & 10 with 12:14 in the first Q, 29 yard pass for 1st down
  • 3rd & 11 at the Texas 14 with 102 in 3rd Q, 14 yard pass for TD
  • 3rd & 19 at the OU 49, with 725 in the 4th, 52 yard TD pass
  • 3rd & 1 at OU 34 with 54 seconds left, 1 yard pass

take that out and you end up at 13/16 for 133 yards, 8.31 yards per attempt and 10.23 yards per completion.

add in Ok State game: 2/3 for 35 yards for 1 first down. that's 57% of the yards from two games.

Spoiler

3rd & 11 incomplete, 3rd & 12 for 11 yards, 3rd & 11 for 24 yards

this means in all games that were not OK State or OU, Texas had the following stat on 3rd and 10+

11/13 for 98 yards, 7.53 yards per attempt, 8.90 yards per completion. so 0 first downs on average.

===

Ohio State was the #1 OFEI team last year, let's see how they did in a few games:

• vs Oregon: 1/3, 13 yards, 0 first downs, 1 INT
  • vs Penn State: 2/3, 17 yards, 1 first down
  • vs Michigan: 2/2 for 33 yards, 1 first down
  • vs Utah: 0/1, 0 yards, 0 first downs

5/9 for 63 yards, 2 first downs

Bama was the #2 OFEI team

• vs A&M: 1/2, 11 yards, 0 first downs
  • vs Auburn: 3/7, 84 yards, 3 first downs
  • vs Georgia, SEC CG: 1/3, 23 yards, 1 first downs
  • vs Cincinnati: 2/3, 32 yards, 1 first downs
  • vs Georgia, NCG: 1/3, 17 yards, 0 first downs, 1 79 yard TD return

Just these games = 8/18 for 167 yards, 5 first downs

===

as you can see a team going 4/5 for 96 yards, 2 TDs and 1 first down is not exactly typical.

either way, i dont care what the completion rate or the yards given up is - i care how many went for 1st downs. that is all you, or anyone else, should care about on 3rd and longs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I like the idea of Majors getting oust at center and Angilau stepping in. Majors is not good vs larger interior linemen.

Baylor DL transfer from LSU (Siaki "Apu" Ika )   freakin' destroyed Majors all day last year and he is back in 2022.   Also, Baylor got stronger on DL by adding transfer DL from Tulsa  Jaxon Player.

THREE-HEADED MONSTER

Tulsa Transfer Joins Ika, Ogbonnaya at Nose Tackle

Jerry Hill    Baylor Bear Insider 4/10/2022

Since Siaki "Apu" Ika hadn't played a game in 11 months, it took the 6-4, 350-pound nose tackle a while to "get into the groove" last year. 

By the end of the 2021 season, though, he became the kind of dominant defensive lineman everyone expected when he transferred to Baylor from LSU, earning first-team All-Big 12 honors from the league coaches. 

"I think it was just getting more comfortable," said Ika, who had 25 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 6.5 tackles for loss and four QB hurries. "I had a lot of time off from playing football. I had a couple games to get my feet wet, then I started getting into the groove of everything and got used to everything again."

With former Midway High School standout Jaxon Player (6-0, 294) transferring from Tulsa, where he earned first-team All-American Athletic Conference honors two years ago, now the Bears have a "three-headed monster" at the nose tackle position. Chidi Ogbonnaya (6-5, 305) backed up Ika last year and opted to return for a sixth year "to play with these guys."

"We know with everybody coming back, we need to take another step to get to where we want to go," Ogbonnaya said. "Every day, we all get in there . . . just trying to push each other."   Ika said Player, who could also rotate some at defensive end, is "just another monster to the three-headed monster on the field."

"He's added some depth, and that will definitely help us out in the long run," Ika said. "We should just dominate from the get."
 With the defensive line's two-deep returning intact, Player was a bonus pick-up when he decided to "come home for my last year." He had 49 tackles with four sacks and 14 tackles for loss last season, earning second-team all-conference honors, after recording 37 tackles, three sacks and 9.5 tackles for loss the year before. 

"(Jaxon) made a lot of great plays today," head coach Dave Aranda said of Saturday's scrimmage at McLane Stadium. "He continues with knock back and line movement, affecting plays and making plays. He brings a good amount of energy. It's a good 1-2 punch with both Apu and him trading out. And then, we can move him around as well. Just his athletic ability, he can play some of those end spots."

Defensive end was actually "what I was brought here to do," Player said, "but we had a little trouble on the D-line at nose, so I stepped in and helped out. Hopefully, maybe fall camp, I'll start rotating at both nose and end."

As good as the Bears are in the middle, Aranda said the key for the defense is the "development at those 5-techniques (ends) and those edge rushers to get the pass rush we need when we have a four-man rush."
"I think we all remember last year at times where some of that was a challenge," Aranda said. "So, I think our ability to find techniques and positions and mismatches and ways that we can maximize that will be strong for us."

Even Ika can take another step or two. For one, he would like to lose some more weight and get down to the 330-340 range. "I've lost a little bit, but I still have a ways to go," he said. 

But, the biggest thing is just his consistency game in and game out and play to play, Aranda said.   "For Apu, I think it's consistency and it's off the field driving what's happening on the field," Aranda said. "Apu has leadership ability and leadership skill. And I think when Apu speaks, people listen to him because of how hard he works and the plays that he makes. I just think he can be a guy in that position for us. And frankly, we need somebody like that."

Other than the obvious of coming home, Player said his decision to transfer to Baylor was "playing for a great defense, playing for a defensive-minded coach."
"I wanted to come in and get taught and get coached hard and learn new techniques, get better at my craft, get better at the technique and just be a part of something special," he said. 

A struggle at first, with a new school and a new defensive scheme to learn, Player said his transition became a lot smoother when he "got the hang of the defense."       

"My journey was a little difficult at the beginning," he said, "but now that I've gotten the hang of the defense, school has gotten a lot easier now that I'm in it, it's just a lot smoother now. It was difficult in the beginning."    

After going from 2-7 in the COVID-shortened 2020 season to a Big 12 championship, a school-record 12 wins (12-2) and a Sugar Bowl win over Ole Miss, "we know we're not going to be a surprise to anybody," Ogbonnaya said. 

"Everybody is going to want to take us down," he said. "That's why our coaches say every single day that we need to take another step, because teams are going to try to beat us.

"For me personally, I want to be the best player I can, be a leader on this team and push everybody and have everybody push me. For the team and the entire unit, we need to affect the quarterback on every single play and stop the run like we did last year."

• Hook 'Em 1

The 9.95ers are all over the fucking place this season. This means their bullshit is turned up to 11. This team is a complete mess with all the new players and apparently our coaches didn't learn shit from last year on how to evaluate talent outside of a game setting. 

QB competition is a mistake and needs to end ASAP. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

The 9.95ers are all over the fucking place this season. This means their bullshit is turned up to 11. This team is a complete mess with all the new players and apparently our coaches didn't learn shit from last year on how to evaluate talent outside of a game setting. 

First scrimmage is supposed to be Saturday, I'm with CTJ in that we likely have a starter named next week after this scrimmage. 

Agree......I think Sark/staff has put a crimp down because information seems very very different this year....especially after the FCB debacle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby:

Angilau never looked good at Center.. they put him there over the past couple Fall and spring camps

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Offensive Line Notes

By: Justin and Eric

Over the next week, and with the benefit of a scrimmage on Saturday, the team depth chart should begin to take shape. At this point, players are still rotating fast and furious, and in some cases, still being moved around. One of those examples is center.

In the Q&A on Monday I opined I didn’t think there was a real competition at center. I’m still not 100% sure there is, but Tuesday‘s full pad practice has me re-thinking my previous statement. Both Junior Angilau and Cole Hutson repped there, and Angilau got the first snaps. With Angilau at center, the true freshman Hutson was first-team guard.

So it went Andrej Karic-Hayden Conner-Junior Angilau-Cole Hutson-ChristianJones.

We know the staff selects for size up front and Angilau is bigger than Majors. Angilau would likely hold up better against the large nose tackles Majors struggled with at times, but that doesn’t necessarily make him better overall. The scrimmage should be instructive.

But another thing Angilau at center would do is make it easier for the staff to play the younger guys. The interior is more of a strength than the tackles, but it’s still going to be tough to keep Hutson and Devon Campbell off the field.

It is possible Hutson ends up playing center this year. Going back to the spring we’ve known he’s going to play this season, we‘re just not sure what his position will be. His potential to play center was a theme throughout his recruitment.

Discounting the uncertainty at center (Majors, Angilau, Hutson, and Logan Parr have all worked there), the second-team at times has been all freshman:

Kelvin Banks-Cole Hutson-center-Devon Campbell-Cam Williams

We saw a lot of rotation on the lines last season even before injuries. This year we’ll probably see more offensive linemen play real snaps than we’ve seen in some time. Part of that will be out of necessity, part of that will be to launch the talented freshmen into the fire to see what comes out.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Offensive Line Notes

By: Justin and Eric

Over the next week, and with the benefit of a scrimmage on Saturday, the team depth chart should begin to take shape. At this point, players are still rotating fast and furious, and in some cases, still being moved around. One of those examples is center.

In the Q&A on Monday I opined I didn’t think there was a real competition at center. I’m still not 100% sure there is, but Tuesday‘s full pad practice has me re-thinking my previous statement. Both Junior Angilau and Cole Hutson repped there, and Angilau got the first snaps. With Angilau at center, the true freshman Hutson was first-team guard.

So it went Andrej Karic-Hayden Conner-Junior Angilau-Cole Hutson-ChristianJones.

We know the staff selects for size up front and Angilau is bigger than Majors. Angilau would likely hold up better against the large nose tackles Majors struggled with at times, but that doesn’t necessarily make him better overall. The scrimmage should be instructive.

But another thing Angilau at center would do is make it easier for the staff to play the younger guys. The interior is more of a strength than the tackles, but it’s still going to be tough to keep Hutson and Devon Campbell off the field.

It is possible Hutson ends up playing center this year. Going back to the spring we’ve known he’s going to play this season, we‘re just not sure what his position will be. His potential to play center was a theme throughout his recruitment.

Discounting the uncertainty at center (Majors, Angilau, Hutson, and Logan Parr have all worked there), the second-team at times has been all freshman:

Kelvin Banks-Cole Hutson-center-Devon Campbell-Cam Williams

We saw a lot of rotation on the lines last season even before injuries. This year we’ll probably see more offensive linemen play real snaps than we’ve seen in some time. Part of that will be out of necessity, part of that will be to launch the talented freshmen into the fire to see what comes out.

They gave Campbell some time at center. If Majors has not put on the required strength to improve his game, I would like to Campbell get more time there. It maybe the quickest way for him to see the field and it might be his best for his NFL career. He could be an absolute beast there. The only scary thing is who would would make the line calls? 

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Codaxx said:

They gave Campbell some time at center. If Majors has not put on the required strength to improve his game, I would like to Campbell get more time there. It maybe the quickest way for him to see the field and it might be his best for his NFL career. He could be an absolute beast there. 

my only real concern is that the Center is usually the player that calls protection prior to the ball being snapped

Maybe they use Angilau at G to call schemes?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Seems like they're going to find a way to get the 5 best, strongest, biggest on the field.

I still have a tough time believing they are going to replace Majors. Obviously listed weights aren’t gospel but they have him at 315 and Angilau at 320, so the weight difference is not as big as we think.

As was pointed out above, they’ve tried the Angilau at center experiment before. Seems like more of a contingency thing.

Karic and Jones seem far more likely to be replaced.

I think the real takeaway is that it looks like Hutson is forcing the staff to find a way to get him on the field. He looked really damn impressive in the spring game for a guy who just enrolled a few months prior, and he might have been the best performer of the entire thing. 

Angilau has had a lot of mental blunders at Guard, and I can think of some notable ones last year, so I’m a little skeptical he’d be a great option to step in at Center, but it could also be possible for Hutson to step in at Guard and Conner kick out to RT as a way to get Hutson on the field, especially if Christian Jones hasn’t made big strides in his technique since last year. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm confused, are the 9.95ers bullshit, or should we trust them that the lineups are shifting a bunch (which would be normal early in fall practice anyway) and the QB competition isn't just kabuki?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think the real takeaway is that it looks like Hutson is forcing the staff to find a way to get him on the field. He looked really damn impressive in the spring game for a guy who just enrolled a few months prior, and he might have been the best performer of the entire thing. 

Angilau has had a lot of mental blunders at Guard, and I can think of some notable ones last year, so I’m a little skeptical he’d be a great option to step in at Center, but it could also be possible for Hutson to step in at Guard and Conner kick out to RT as a way to get Hutson on the field, especially if Christian Jones hasn’t made big strides in his technique since last year. 

I'm in the same boat regarding Jr.. I know he's the leader but man, he makes mental errors in crucial downs.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Watching his film and how he plays the game was impressive to me. Dude has a mean streak and if he's as smart and etc as he seems he could be a good candidate for that center position.  He should shave his head and grow a beard.  At minimum continue to grow the mullet and get a handlebar mustache

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

my only real concern is that the Center is usually the player that calls protection prior to the ball being snapped

Maybe they use Angilau at G to call schemes?

That is the hard part. Is there anyone you would call football savvy on the OL with experience? Assuming Quinn is the QB, that is makes the pairing tough. I am not sure there is an answer that makes anyone comfortable, if the coaches decide to move on from Majors. 

Edited by Codaxx

OB usually takes one or two unique stands each camp to generate attention. There two this year are:

1) Murphy is just as good as the two guys competing to start. I think part of this is they had him ranked highest of all the services and want to justify it.

2) Whatever line has the freshman is better than the starting line. You saw it day 1 when they said “the third team OL looked better than the first team” when they were in shorts and t-shirts and it had continued. The first team line is the bad news bears and the one with all freshman is the mid 90’s Dallas Cowboys.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm confused, are the 9.95ers bullshit, or should we trust them that the lineups are shifting a bunch (which would be normal early in fall practice anyway) and the QB competition isn't just kabuki?

You think Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan or anyone else is having thing level of "we don't know who the best guy is yet"? Lol

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The AD is hosting a pretty big event around the 2nd scrimmage on the 20th. It would be really helpful if Seven Loss and his gang use this upcoming scrimmage on the 13th to decisively move some freshmen into visible roles on the two deep on both sides of the ball, and not be pussyfooting with recent transfers either. If they go into that day mealymouthed about who the QB is and without a single new OL getting starter reps, the question by the blue hairs with serious dollars looking for reasons to believe will be "okay, so it doesn't even look like NIL fucking matters, does it?"

There isn't a person paying attention to this program that believes Karic and Jones are the best options at LT/RT and if that narrative is pushed any further than scrimmage #1, there will be fallout. Sorry, that's the way this shit will go. Those guys aren't P5 starters, they're liabilities at this point, and no one gives a fuck if significantly more talented freshmen will make mistakes while gaining experience. 

Banks will be in the starting line up after the 2nd scrimmage. 

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I still have a tough time believing they are going to replace Majors. Obviously listed weights aren’t gospel but they have him at 315 and Angilau at 320, so the weight difference is not as big as we think.

As was pointed out above, they’ve tried the Angilau at center experiment before. Seems like more of a contingency thing.

Karic and Jones seem far more likely to be replaced.

Majors issue isn't weight so much as it is play strength. If he is still getting mauled at the point of attack by OUR D linemen, then there is a real problem. I am all for killing sacred cows in terms of upperclassmen on this line. I am willing to take a couple of lumps in games we can afford to do it with like ULM and UTSA if it means we have guys who know what they are doing by the time conference play rolls around. I am not convinced that we wouldn't be better off against Bama either if we have bigger bodies in there that can hold the point of attack better by raw physics. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB usually takes one or two unique stands each camp to generate attention. There two this year are:

1) Murphy is just as good as the two guys competing to start. I think part of this is they had him ranked highest of all the services and want to justify it.

2) Whatever line has the freshman is better than the starting line. You saw it day 1 when they said “the third team OL looked better than the first team” when they were in shorts and t-shirts and it had continued. The first team line is the bad news bears and the one with all freshman is the mid 90’s Dallas Cowboys.

The first one is trying to say something controversial but not too bad to garner attention and the 2nd one is just telling the fans what they want to hear. 

The OL has had 1 practice in pads. That's it. A truthful writeup says there's no movement because they've only had 1 introductory real practice. 

Don't take the cheese. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

You think Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan or anyone else is having thing level of "we don't know who the best guy is yet"? Lol

You mean schools with entrenched starters?

Bama just had a competition between a program guy and a 5* true freshman a couple of years ago

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Bama took 4-5 games to start Dallas Turner, so yes. OL is a position where consistency trumps talent. Flood is going to have weigh talent vs assignment busts 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We face, what, maybe 2 or 3 teams a year with nose tackles who could give Majors fits? Is the small upgrade for those 2 or 3 games worth the trade off you make for the other 9 and experience Majors brings in making the calls, etc?

Yes because those teams are generally the best teams on our schedule.