2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The first one is trying to say something controversial but not too bad to garner attention and the 2nd one is just telling the fans what they want to hear. 

The OL has had 1 practice in pads. That's it. A truthful writeup says there's no movement because they've only had 1 introductory real practice. 

Don't take the cheese. 

And watch out for them damn Jap plays...

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Bama took 4-5 games to start Dallas Turner, so yes. OL is a position where consistency trumps talent. 

That’s probably because they had a competent football player in fron of him on the depth chart.  I don’t see a whole lot of competent football players on our OL.

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That’s probably because they had a competent football player in fron of him on the depth chart.  I don’t see a whole lot of competent football players on our OL.

Amazes me that Texas finished 3rd in yards per carry and 2nd in rushing yards per in the Big 12 and people think that there was not a single OL in that group with a single redeeming quality. Not that I think it is the greatest stat, but Texas finished 12th in the county in average line yards. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 8

Just now, Revolution512 said:

If the coaches aren’t smart enough to see they have more rope playing the young guys, this Sark experiment is about to end fast. If we wait until the last 3 games to start the better talent, send his ass packing.

This is what I meant. If you can't tell if the freshman are just as good or what then sit everyone and start the freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I never bought the early narrative that Majors is safe. He routinely got overpowered last year in more than 2 or 3 games. He seems like a nice kid but is much better suited for more of a wide zone scheme. If Flood wants to maul people, Majors is not the guy. I was looking to see if he and Karic could add strength and good weight in the off-season because they were young. The early reports are not encouraging. We should know more after the first scrimmage. I’m surprised they haven’t tinkered with Jones inside at guard, he’s strong and a great run blocker, at tackle he’s terrible and a liability.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

If the coaches aren’t smart enough to see they have more rope playing the young guys, this Sark experiment is about to end fast. If we wait until the last 3 games to start the better talent, send his ass packing.

This is my favorite message board narrative. That the coaches purposely don't play the better players.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Do people really think the coaches should elevate Freshmen to first team before they even put on pads? Just based on HS film and padless drills? C'mon. Have a little patience. That would be dumb from both an evaluation and team morale perspective.

If week 1 rolls around and Karic is starting, I'll jump on board the whiney train, but that ain't happening so just chill tf out.

(With that said, QB needs to be settled asap)

The level of disrespect to put the fab7 freshman ol on third string is appalling.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is my favorite message board narrative. That the coaches purposely don't play the better players.

Most of time, I'm with ya.  But I remember Mack not playing freshmen versus OU until we were down by 50 because "Jim, these freshmen are throwing up in that tunnel from nerves."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hornbeliever said:

Most of time, I'm with ya.  But I remember Mack not playing freshmen versus OU until we were down by 50 because "Jim, these freshmen are throwing up in that tunnel from nerves."

This staff lost 7 games last year and is trying to stay employed. If they had some rope then maybe I agree it's a concern they won't play the younger guys early enough, but these guys know what they have to accomplish this year. Leashes are not long, and that's at all positions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

I say fuck it and just start 5 freshman on the OL. Sure, they’ll struggle big time against Bama (not like the “vets” wouldn’t), but it would be one hell of a story and would help a ton in recruiting. 

Fab-5, 2022 Version.  Give 'em all black socks and here we go!

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The level of disrespect to put the fab7 freshman ol on third string is appalling.  

You have to love this board. Couple days ago it was WTF is the matter with @Wulaw Horn wanting Banks to be listed over Merrill on the depth chart? Couple days later it is why isnt there a freshmen in the starting line-up yet. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Amazes me that Texas finished 3rd in yards per carry and 2nd in rushing yards per in the Big 12 and people think that there was not a single OL in that group with a single redeeming quality. Not that I think it is the greatest stat, but Texas finished 12th in the county in average line yards. 

This is true, and possibly a good starter for the debate that I liken to “if Barry sanders had the 1990s cowboys OL”.

I think people saw some of the pass blocking last year, and wrote them off completely. And now, envision an even better run blocking OL for Bijan and Roschon, and don’t want to hear anything else lol. 

36 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Do people really think the coaches should elevate Freshmen to first team before they even put on pads? Just based on HS film and padless drills? C'mon. Have a little patience. That would be dumb from both an evaluation and team morale perspective.

If week 1 rolls around and Karic is starting, I'll jump on board the whiney train, but that ain't happening so just chill tf out.

(With that said, QB needs to be settled asap)

AbsoluteSmoothCaimanlizard-size_restrict

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The 9.95ers are all over the fucking place this season. This means their bullshit is turned up to 11. This team is a complete mess with all the new players and apparently our coaches didn't learn shit from last year on how to evaluate talent outside of a game setting. 

QB competition is a mistake and needs to end ASAP. 

I like the idea of a competition.  Let's dilute the snaps of our starter while we fuck around.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I like the idea of a competition.  Let's dilute the snaps of our starter while we fuck around.

It’s funny to think that snap quality is severely impacted by not naming a starter right away.

It’s good for the fans, but it should be clear to the team who the guy is before he is named. You want to avoid any sense of favoritism.  

That being said, Ewers is the obvious choice and the sooner they make the call, the better. It’s too bad one of the freshman tackles didn’t enroll early too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CastHorn said:

My old man said he would “Truck” Trevell Johnson & drag him several yards. It’s hard to believe that guy is going to be able to get up to around 220 anytime soon. 

I don't know, putting on 15-20 pounds over the course of a year isn't unheard of in a college S&C program. That's what a redshirt is for. 

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I had a dream last night that the second team OL was so dominant, Flood just made them the first team. So we opened the first game with Banks-Agbo-Hutson-Campbell-Williams.

And I had a dream last night that Ewers was named the starter, Card wanted to transfer and I had to talk him out of it in order to preserve our QB depth.

Take it with a grain of salt, but Maalik wasn‘t seen as a viable back up option for this year by the coaches.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB usually takes one or two unique stands each camp to generate attention. There two this year are:

1) Murphy is just as good as the two guys competing to start. I think part of this is they had him ranked highest of all the services and want to justify it.

2) Whatever line has the freshman is better than the starting line. You saw it day 1 when they said “the third team OL looked better than the first team” when they were in shorts and t-shirts and it had continued. The first team line is the bad news bears and the one with all freshman is the mid 90’s Dallas Cowboys.

Is Murphy being as good as Ojomo and Coburn that much of a hot take?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The AD is hosting a pretty big event around the 2nd scrimmage on the 20th. It would be really helpful if Seven Loss and his gang use this upcoming scrimmage on the 13th to decisively move some freshmen into visible roles on the two deep on both sides of the ball, and not be pussyfooting with recent transfers either. If they go into that day mealymouthed about who the QB is and without a single new OL getting starter reps, the question by the blue hairs with serious dollars looking for reasons to believe will be "okay, so it doesn't even look like NIL fucking matters, does it?"

There isn't a person paying attention to this program that believes Karic and Jones are the best options at LT/RT and if that narrative is pushed any further than scrimmage #1, there will be fallout. Sorry, that's the way this shit will go. Those guys aren't P5 starters, they're liabilities at this point, and no one gives a fuck if significantly more talented freshmen will make mistakes while gaining experience. 

At least Neyor should show them that some of their NIL money was well spent. 

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't know, putting on 15-20 pounds over the course of a year isn't unheard of in a college S&C program. That's what a redshirt is for. 

Only problem is he would have to put on 35 pounds. Listed at 185 right now

1 hour ago, immamac said:

You think Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan or anyone else is having thing level of "we don't know who the best guy is yet"? Lol

Why would the Heisman winner, the 4th runner up, and the national champion QB not be set at QB?  No idea who Michigan is trotting out there between JJ and macnamara.  As mentioned numerous times above, they probably know but want to keep transfers from not happening. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Probably lean more toward believing Dunlap 

Dunlap just as bad. After the first practice he said he was paying close attention to the OL. But then said Hutson wasn’t even on the 3 deep

The good stuff is that Card is a 7 on 7 badass and knows “how” to play the game in practice but can’t handle a non controlled environment.

Yet freshmen OL are good to go without having ever played in non-controlled environments.

These frosh Oline are likely top notch. But a frosh next to a frosh is asking for trouble. Junior to Center is not ideal. I’d think we see a lot of guys play with some decent rotation maybe to the extent that even starters aren’t that defined.

Hookah Horns on IT:

Got a couple notes from my sources that don't warrant their own thread so I'll throw them in here.

Coburn was playing with the 3s a lot yesterday.

Billingsley is looking really good and will be a dangerous weapon. Helm's blocking has been really good as well. And of course Sanders is going to be a stud.

QB is in a lot better shape overall than last year at this time. Card has made big strides with the deep ball, has been throwing some dimes, and is running a little ahead of Ewers going into scrimmage
  • Haha 1

Kelvin Banks-Cole Hutson-center-Devon Campbell-Cam Williams

I gotta say... I am a huge fan of this strategy of recruiting a whole o-line in the same class and letting them play together and develop chemistry as a unit, on and off the field, pitting them against the existing o-line. It could backfire, I guess, if the existing o-line is replaced en masse. But it's more likely that some of the freshmen will get pulled up, rather than all of them. But that chemistry should endure.

1 hour ago, T-dog said:

And I had a dream last night that Ewers was named the starter, Card wanted to transfer and I had to talk him out of it in order to preserve our QB depth.

Take it with a grain of salt, but Maalik wasn‘t seen as a viable back up option for this year by the coaches.

Shit, I'll pay you $9.96 if you send me your Venmo info.