2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

Someone in the comments called out Ketch in a live show he was doing on YouTube for being the only one saying both QB's are playing poorly and that Ewers isn't dedicating himself to the playbook. His response was:

"I am the only one with enough guts to report it and tell it like it is."

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Haha 8

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Appreciate the thoughts, guys, but you’re simply living in fucking fantasyland. Banks is a starter, right now. They moved Jones for a reason. Karic didn’t win the LT spot. He’s kept it warm. No one gives a fuck about the possible downside, Banks is here to start, and start early. That was the deal from the jump. It’s kind of stunning to see guys post about the situation otherwise.  

Pontificate further all you like, doesn’t change what’s inevitable. 

CTJ to the board:

7BLw.gif

1 hour ago, BERT said:

For the record, Guy Ritchie didn't direct Layer Cake. He was supposed to be decided to do Revolver instead. Still a damn good movie though. 

right, that was Matthew Vaughn, who I also enjoy. didn't know that about Layer Cake though, thanks!

15 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Okay folks, last week I reported on Hall's improvement in the social aspects of joining a new family and that seems to have paid off in dividends.   I have heard that he is actually getting along with the other WRs and now and he has been humbled a bit and recommitted to his 'football family'.   David Gbenda is really needing some more time and is having trouble with the mental aspects of the game.   He has the see ball, hit ball approach to football and that is getting lost in PK's system.  He does well when there is a coach on the field to direct his game but in scrimmages he looks lost without that and takes himself out of plays.  I am being told that the QB race is really heating up and Card is making a real push to be the starter.   Maalik Murphy has all the swagger of you know who and is really a behind the scenes leader.   We are in a good place at QB for the next few years even if we lose a guy.    Lastly, I was eating a roast beef and ice cream sandwich at the Golden Corral and in walks Ketch.  Our eyes meat for a moment and then he nods with approval at my scoops.   I feel like the stars are aligning guys.   If we can get on the same page, we are going to have a heck of a ride this season.  

I'll be back next week with another bullshit made-up implausible, or semi-plausible story based on nothing at all. 

Send your $9.94 to Nivek@burntendsstilllostcup.com.

Zach Galifianakas 'nodding meme' is actually Robert Redford

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Someone in the comments called out Ketch in a live show he was doing on YouTube for being the only one saying both QB's are playing poorly and that Ewers isn't dedicating himself to the playbook. His response was:

He might be right on part of his response since his guts are stuffed with ham, bacon grease and Fudruckers jalapeño cheese sauce.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Someone called out Ketch for being the only one saying QB's are playing poorly and Ewers isn't dedicating himself to the playbook. His response:  "I'm the only one with enough guts to report it and tell it like it is."

Damn, did they ask about buffets & shows ?

chet_bigger.jpg   Geoff Ketchum  

@geoffketchum

Told yall. Just finished my 4th rewatch of Bachelor in Paradise, time to get to work. Remember, I invented recruiting and the marshmallow brisket taco. Suck it @GHamilton_On3 
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Lastly, I was eating a roast beef and ice cream sandwich at the Golden Corral and in walks Ketch.  Our eyes meat for a moment and then he nods with approval at my scoops.   I feel like the stars are aligning guys.   If we can get on the same page, we are going to have a heck of a ride this season.  

ISWYDT, even if you didn't do it on purpose.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s truly pathetic for me, but I still fucking laugh when I read all of these. We’ve been working on some new material. It’s hard to stay at it when we’re sucking, so hopefully we win a lot this season, dammit. 

There are some true gems in that twitter account.  The ham guy one still makes me laugh my ass off every time 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I love Justin Wells on these podcasts, but he is trying to polish the turd of having Karic in a real competition with Banks for LT. "His biggest advantage is his relationship with Quinn Ewers."  What? LOL

That one year they played together at Southlake Carroll has them tied at the hip for life!!

35 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I love Justin Wells on these podcasts, but he is trying to polish the turd of having Karic in a real competition with Banks for LT. "His biggest advantage is his relationship with Quinn Ewers."  What? LOL

Maybe that's his way of saying, "there are no real advantages"..

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

You know.  The relationship that develops when an OT helps his QB back up off the turf after giving up an untouched sack.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It is right and good that you posted this. This is practically "intervention" level evidence of the problem. A couple of them the OL didn't quite let the QB set. Sure. A couple were clear "don't catch that" interference from DBs.

The vast majority are clearly a superior athlete shredding the defense, standing all by his lonesome - and just having the ball thrown sort of randomly. These aren't in need of NFL quality throws. A practice toss somewhere within 3 yards would have done.

Worthy was almost a passing offense by himself. I understand he should have help this season, but it's apparently not compulsory. I further understand the Burnt Orange family is blathering about which of their two perfect QBs gets the honor of throwing to him. This video should alleviate the stress. "Perfect" isn't required. "Adequate" will score points.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

A couple of them the OL didn't quite let the QB set. Sure.

And several times the OL held up long enough but didn't let the QB set two or three times. Competent QB play in terms of recognition and getting the ball out even just closer to on time turns a handful of those plays into scores. So basically I'm agreeing with you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And several times the OL held up long enough but didn't let the QB set two or three times. Competent QB play in terms of recognition and getting the ball out even just closer to on time turns a handful of those plays into scores. So basically I'm agreeing with you. 

3 or 4 of those throws were in games that we lost by one score. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

F6DB42E1-7C5F-47C5-B1ED-8D7B814375BE.gif.7535273a7ae8fe18b3ed13e299a4d46c.gif

OB practice notes via Anwar (funny how this pretty much contradicts what his boss has been trying to push)

Spoiler

This year’s quarterback battle is not as compelling as the competition we witnessed last season.

Quinn Ewers and Hudson Card are currently battling for the No.1 spot. Both quarterbacks have been solid this offseason and during training camp. Neither quarterback looks like the second coming of Colt McCoy at this moment. However, the best word to describe their respective performances is “solid.”

Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian described last year’s quarterback competition as one of the toughest decisions of his career. Sarkisian said deciding between Matt Leinart and Matt Cassel when he was an assistant coach at USC was the toughest decision. The battle between Casey Thompson and Card at Texas in 2021 was his most difficult choice since Leinart and Cassel.

In the end, Sarkisian chose Card, but benched him after a week two loss against Arkansas and started Thompson. Nevertheless, Sarkisian recently said he expected to know who would determine the battle between Ewers and Card sooner than last year’s battle.

Of course, Sarkisian informed Longhorn fans through the media that he does not intend to let them know his timeframe for making a decision during training camp.

“I think I have an idea in my head,” Sarkisian said before training camp. “I'm not going to tell you guys because then you're going to hold me to it. I'm going to keep that one internal because it may happen before that. And if I tell you a date and I do it before then you're always going to remind me that I made the decision before that date. And then if I decide to make the decision after that date, then you guys will constantly remind me that I made the decision after that date. So, I'm going to kind of keep that one to me.”

According to my sources, Ewers has been the better quarterback during training camp so far. I was told Ewers throws a better ball and is more consistent with short and deep passes.

There have been times when Ewers has made mistakes, which is to be expected when defenders know the plays. Defensive backs have jumped routes and made plays. Ewers has made the natural errors in practice you expect from a redshirt freshman.

However, Ewers continues to grade well and is meeting Sarkisian’s expectations.

What does this mean for Card?

Last season, Card trailed in the quarterback competition before his team’s first scrimmage. After that scrimmage, Card began receiving first-team reps and became the opening day starter. Texas will hold its first scrimmage on Saturday, and Card may a strong performance to avoid falling further behind in this quarterback competition.

“I'm enjoying it. I'm really enjoying it,” Sarkisian said. “I'm enjoying it because both these guys are working their tails off. Both of them are really coachable and trying to do what we're asking them to do. Both of them are making some really nice plays. Whether it's quick game, whether it's the audibles, whether it's intermediate throws, whether it's down-the-field throws, I think they're both playing with a lot of confidence. So that part's fun. What makes it hard is when it's Herky jerky, one day it's good, one day it's not great. This feels really good because it's a very positive feel about it. I think they both have a pretty good understanding of what we're doing and they're not perfect … I don't expect them to be perfect. The installation is still ongoing, but they're being coachable. They're learning from one rep and they're carrying it to the next time they're getting that opportunity. I'm enjoying it. Coach Milwee and I are having a great time working with these guys. And they're playing at a high level which that's always fun. You don't feel like you're beating your head against the wall because you can't get through to them. We're getting through to these guys and they're performing.”

Speaking of quarterbacks, Murphy continues to impress everyone who has watched him practice during training camp.

Murphy has a strong arm, can make all the throws, and stands out whenever he is on the field, according to my sources. Murphy has only been on campus since the summer, which means he still has a lot to learn. He is still learning the playbook and getting in sync with his receivers.

Even though Murphy is not expected to play this season, there is another aspect of his game gaining attention.

I was told Murphy exudes confidence when he is at practice. Multiple people have said he is a natural leader and more vocal than Ewers and Card. When Murphy is on the field, everyone can detect a commanding presence. Murphy is an alpha in every sense of the word.

Everyone I spoke with is excited about Murphy and the kind of player he might emerge into at Texas.

“It's been a better start, as I touched on,” Sarkisian said. “Just missing the front end of spring ball. Missing the front end of summer. I think it's been a good start for him. You definitely see the talent and the skill set and the plays that definitely wow you. Now it’s just really drilling down into the system to where he's really comfortable with six, seven, eight, 10 plays in a row. Not kind of two plays on, one play off. And so that's what we're working towards.”

Here are some other nuggets worth passing on:

--- I was told Texas strength and conditioning coach Torre Becton wanted the players to practice in the afternoon to toughen up the players. He wanted tougher practices with the hope Texas players would not struggle in the second half of games this season.

--- However, the biggest challenge to practicing in 100-degree weather has been cramps by players. My sources said Sarkisian wanted to alternate the practice times to give players a break from the heat. Sarkisian said his team will strictly practice in the mornings once classes resume.

--- Texas freshman offensive lineman Kelvin Banks continues to impress during training camp. Everything you hear about Banks is true. He has been described as vocal with a high football IQ. Banks is a player to keep an eye on during Saturday’s scrimmage.

--- Jordan Whittington's description of receiver Savion Red: “He's like a Deebo Samuel. He's just super explosive. I found a guy that's kind of like me in a way. He gets the ball, runs it like a running back, a bigger dude. It's just like having a twin out there.”

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, and then Mack Brown benched him for the RRS because “you can’t play freshmen in that game! they’re puking in the tunnel!!” only to start him for every game he was healthy for the rest of his career after that. Yeah, this is our concern, dude. 

Sad Paul Simon GIF