2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Our entire season hinges on Ewers being a significant upgrade from last year.

And there has been little to nothing in terms of reports that would affirm this is the case.

At least we can lay this season to rest on August 12th. It was a fun ride.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

And there has been little to nothing in terms of reports that would affirm this is the case.

Except the reports that he is good with short, intermediate and deep passes, yes. The media does like to gargle Cards' nuts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Ewers being an average Big 12 QB would be a significant upgrade from Thompson, who graded out as one of the worst QBs in the conference last year. With an average QB Texas likely wins 3 or 4 more games last year.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 8

On 8/10/2022 at 10:12 AM, dcar00 said:

Card is gonna look great until it's live fire hit the QB, Ewers we don't know.  Sark knows what he has with Card.  Ewers is gonna start unless he can't remember the plays.  The QB competition is just a dog and pony show.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:05 AM, immamac said:

The 9.95ers are all over the fucking place this season. This means their bullshit is turned up to 11. This team is a complete mess with all the new players and apparently our coaches didn't learn shit from last year on how to evaluate talent outside of a game setting. 

QB competition is a mistake and needs to end ASAP. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, NoName said:

if it makes you feel any better, there is no real QB competition

Ok... Slax is a bit behind, because he's busy...

Why do people keep wanting there to not be a QB competition?

No coach will hand a job to a dude who hasn't played a down of CFB... Especially over a dude that was named a starter a year before... They're going to have to show and prove something.

I get it... Trust me... I didn't want Card to start last year, because I saw some Jerrod Heard in him.

That doesn't mean he can't go to his personal team of trainers and psychologists and learn not to run back and to the right... It's an easy fix, really.

I want someone to separate. Again, players play.

If it's Card, go ball.

If it's Ewers, go ball.

But handing the most important job in sports to a player that hasn't played a down? Nah, son. If he's better he'll take the job.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Ewers being an average Big 12 QB would be a significant upgrade from Thompson, who graded out as one of the worst QBs in the conference last year. With an average QB Texas likely wins 3 or 4 more games last year.

If our OL is the same passing OL, Ewers might not have house thumbs, either...

3 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Jesus Tapdancing Christ. Some of you are impervious to facts. You are the Sarah Palin of this board.

I've wanted Sark to be active in the transfer portal for offensive linemen the past 2 off-seasons. He wasn't. Baylor got 2 o-linemen last offseason and they won the Big 12. Those 2 guys are still starters and On3 has them ranked as the 3rd best o-line going in to this season. Sark's freshmen o-line recruiting has exceeded all expectations but I am concerned that we could have a 5/6/7 win season this year when it could have been much better. 

So...  Do you agree it is highly likely that if we went after portal OL, we wouldn't have the freshmen OL we have?

So the question is, do you prefer a strategy of trying to reload OL via portal regularly or do you prefer grooming our own OL, or so you think there is a strategy that incorporates both -optimally- and we're not executing?

The staff has shown and proved where they are on this. I'm fine with it. I'd rather build a stable of OL over time.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Slacks said:

No coach will hand a job to a dude who hasn't played a down of CFB... Especially over a dude that was named a starter a year before... They're going to have to show and prove something.

They will if that dude is a 5 star and you want him to transfer to your school. 

There’s no QB competition. There never was. Sark knew Card couldn’t be the guy, that’s why he got Ewers. Ewers didn’t transfer here to compete and maybe win the job. It’s been his from the get go. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

You can ask @someguy. I’m not in the business of unmasking cool posters. 

In unrelated stuff, I thought I saw @closetojumpingat an airport in Atlanta a few months ago…but it may not have been him.

If Hall is that big of a distraction I’d rather him go. We’re trying to build something here. Not go back to where we have been the last decade plus. 

You saw me in ATL just now and didn't say anything.

So, when I buy a plane, remember this moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There’s no QB competition. There never was. Sark knew Card couldn’t be the guy, that’s why he got Ewers. Ewers didn’t transfer here to compete and maybe win the job. It’s been his from the get go. 

Preach GIF

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I'd settle for not having to hear about Thompson's thumb or his first half against OU.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Ewers still needs to outplay Card in at least one of the scrimmages this summer. He’ll have several opportunities to do so, and hopefully this Saturday is that moment 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Ewers still needs to outplay Card in at least one of the scrimmages this summer. He’ll have several opportunities to do so, and hopefully this Saturday is that moment 

I don't think so. Last year Card looked like a budding superstar leading up to and through game one. Ewers will just have to look arguably as good, praying he (unlike Card) shows the moxie when shit gets real.

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

So...  Do you agree it is highly likely that if we went after portal OL, we wouldn't have the freshmen OL we have?

I 100% disagree. 

Let's say we had taken the 2 Baylor TP guys in the offseason before 2021. We could have told this elite freshman o-line class, "Look, they are only holding down 2 spots. There is still room for some of you to start, and plenty of snaps for all of you this season. In 2023, they will be gone, and those 2 starting spots will be wide open." We would have the same freshman o-line class and a legit chance to win the Big 12. 

28 minutes ago, Helobious said:

In the off-season, the WRs were publicly begging for a quarterback despite Card still being on the roster.

5 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I don't think so. Last year Card looked like a budding superstar leading up to and through game one. Ewers will just have to look arguably as good, praying he (unlike Card) shows the moxie when shit gets real.

I will be shocked if the "competition" doesn't end this weekend and Ewers is named starter on Monday.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That's some desperate shit, right there...

You tell those dudes to compete...

Only thing I'll *maybe* concede.... Sark didn't recruit Card. He recruited Ewers...

And should recruit about 10 more every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

Card aint fucking starting...  Ewers is QB1.   It is the way.  

Agreed, people are way over thinking this. Sark knows what he has in Card and why he pulled him last season. No chance he puts Card out there to start and look great until he folds and Sark has to pull him a few games later. Ewers is going start.

55 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

Card aint fucking starting...  Ewers is QB1.   It is the way.  

I don't doubt it... But player better come get that. I'm not giving it to him...

I *expect* him to win the job. I expected VY to win the job, too... But a lot of these same cats were talking about VY moving to ducking Safety because Chance Mock... Go take that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Card should get a chance to prove he’s a great practice QB and shits the bed against a SEC team with a good pass rush…again??? Fuck me to tears, we know who he is now and who he ain’t. If he starts at any point this year for any thing other than injury I’ll find CTJ in the SFO airport, douse myself in gas and tackle his ass, then Sydney can jump out and set both of us on fire. Surly can lose a good poster and a shitty one all at once. Ewers QB1, fuckity fuck. 
Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I don't doubt it... But player better come get that. I'm not giving it to him...

I *expect* him to win the job. I expected VY to win the job, too... But a lot of these same cats were talking about VY moving to ducking Safety because Chance Mock... Go take that shit.

Wait so you’re not gonna give Banks first string just from watching his game tape vs Lampasas?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1