2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

Just for discussions sake, and realizing it’s only 1st week in the books, who are some guys you were hoping to hear pop off/ stand out, but haven’t heard much from yet? Not including transfers or true freshman.
Mine is Ford, Sanders, and Crawford. Unless I missed it, haven’t seen much about these guys.

I wanted to see Jake Majors take a step - he was always a project take that needed to add size/ strength. He would not have played last year in. healthy OL room, so I kind of give him a pass. But seeing them tinker with other guys at center and hearing about how much the OL sucks would indicate he probably hasn’t.

From the opposite angle, hearing Dorbah as a guy who has flashed and potentially worked his way into the edge rotation is interesting. As a prospect, he was considered to have a high ceiling as an edge rusher, which, uh, might be helpful to this defense.

I thought last year was a little early to write him off given he was a RSFR on his second scheme in two years, and was another that needed an offseason or two to add the size/strength needed at this level. But going into his third year, if he isn’t playable now he’s never going to be.

Now, we don’t know if he’s getting run because the options at edge are just that bad or because maybe something clicked. And of course, there’s I was dead wrong on it being too early to punt on Tyler Johnson, and justified it not, Dorbah has a similar “he doesn’t care about football” label. We’ll just have to wait and see.

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If I know that a guy shits himself in the pocket and has an almost craven need to throw pick 6’s on the reg, that makes him “low risk” because I already know that he presents my worst case scenario at QB? Okay, then. 

I know you have a your shtick, but Card had one interception in 83 attempts. Spot on with the Pocket composure. “Craven need to throw pick 6s on the reg” is just histrionics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Feels like we're headed towards another year where 2 QB's will be getting meaningful minutes throughout the season

If the reports about how much out O'line sucks are true we're going to need both of them. 

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He would not have played last year in. healthy OL room, so I kind of give him a pass. But seeing them tinker with other guys at center and hearing about how much the OL sucks would indicate he probably hasn’t.

Majors was probably our second best OL behind Angilau, especially pass blocking wise (and Conner in his limited snaps)

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You would think words like “likely” or “could be” would tip you off I was speculating and not get your panties in a wad. My bad Mr Card 

That's Mrs. Card to you.

I just think it's funny that you attribute one unknown play as a bad read by Card and the other as "trying to make a play" by Ewers.  Given nobody knows, it's just as likely that Card was trying to fit a pass in a small window and Ewers made a bad read.

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I know you have a your shtick, but Card had one interception in 83 attempts. Spot on with the Pocket composure. “Craven need to throw pick 6s on the reg” is just histrionics. 

Card was flirting with multiple interceptions throughout the season. Not to mention all the panic shit he does at the first sign of pressure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

Card is absolutely lower risk than Ewers.  We know more how he will do and thus, lower risk.  Low risk does not mean better, btw.

Ewers could suck.  He could be first pick of NFL draft.  That is higher risk.  And Sark will bet on that upside so let's get behind Quinn and stop the BS.

we want to know about the risk of potentially losing games.  what kind of risk are you talking about?  because card is definitely at a higher risk of putting an L on the board than ewers.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

That's Mrs. Card to you.

I just think it's funny that you attribute one unknown play as a bad read by Card and the other as "trying to make a play" by Ewers.  Given nobody knows, it's just as likely that Card was trying to fit a pass in a small window and Ewers made a bad read.

"Mrs" eh? Are those your titties in your profile pic? Because if so....820.jpeg.f2bca43bbbe0657a6c273917c13a3ae0.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Is this post for real?

So it's "likely" that Card made a bad read and it "could be" that Ewers was just gunslinging?

Any more conclusions on your mat that you want to jump to?

I'll take a stab - Without seeing either guy play this year, I'm convinced that Ewers is better than Card.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Or we let card start game 1 have him shit himself and then give Quinn the reins vs bama

That way ewers misses all the valuable camp reps with the 1s.

So did I skim the reports right that card looked as good with the 1s as ewers did with the 2s in the scrimmage?

Ewers problems need reps to fix, cards problems need a time machine.

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Card was flirting with multiple interceptions throughout the season. Not to mention all the panic shit he does at the first sign of pressure. 

One thing he did well was find the outlet, I think that was at the expense of taking some chances. I think if anything he is more likely to give up on the deeper throw and hit the outlet. Which fits with a player that seemed to lack confidence 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

we want to know about the risk of potentially losing games.  what kind of risk are you talking about?  because card is definitely at a higher risk of putting an L on the board than ewers.

I'm being pedantic and trader-like about the word risk so I'll just stop there.

Card gives us higher probability of losing an increased number of games, yes.  And as a result, I hope he is our backup QB and QE gets 1st team reps for both growth and programmatic perception purposes.

Fuck. Future man is saying card sucks and ewers is good? Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. We’re screwed.
If the reports about how much out O'line sucks are true we're going to need both of them. 

Our best oline prob isn’t the 1st team oline. It takes a process to get there I guess…

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I sometimes think our fanbase has the collective IQ of a fucking tackling dummy. The big booster gathering for the scrimmage is next weekend and was never said otherwise, dipshit. It’s not even a minor detail. 

Idk seems pretty minor, dipshit

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Reading the practice reports (wtf knows what is true or not) it appears the Ewers connects on the deep pass more often than not.   It also sounds like Card does not excel in this catagory. Being that the deep pass is integral to Sarks offense I believe we have all the data needed to determine who will be running the offense.  Trust me Im an expert internet sleuth.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Low risk is not the right term for what he’s saying. He’s lower beta. His floor is closer to his ceiling. If that’s a high floor low ceiling cool, but if it’s a low floor low ceiling who gives a shit?  

Why on earth would you feel compelled step into the middle of gunfire between me and a clown?

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

The guy has thrown multiple pick 6’s in show-team work in the spring and this cycle. One pick 6 in a season is more than some starting QBs bring to the table. But, hey, we get it. You dig Card and you want to see him get the starting snaps he byGawd deserves. 

36 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Idk seems pretty minor, dipshit

Let’s see, the scrimmage in which changes could be visible to boosters was predicated on a first scrimmage, which was, you know, the one today. So no, not minor, unless you’re just a stumblefuck that cares more about the vague shot that they’d be funny with a post than being accurate at all with the drive by. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why on earth would you feel compelled step into the middle of gunfire between me and a clown?

The guy has thrown multiple pick 6’s in show-team work in the spring and this cycle. One pick 6 in a season is more than some starting QBs bring to the table. But, hey, we get it. You dig Card and you want to see him get the starting snaps he byGawd deserves. 

Let’s see, the scrimmage in which changes could be visible to boosters was predicated on a first scrimmage, which was, you know, the one today. So no, not minor, unless you’re just a stumblefuck that cares more about the vague shot that they’d be funny with a post than being accurate at all with the drive by. 

I have a compulsion to translate gibberish into what’s actually meant by it to clarify things. I don’t know why but I can’t stop myself when someone confuses people by misusing words but I understand the point they are trying to make. 

I did leave alone the slap down you were going to give Hank Hill as it was egregious in that the entire point that his gotcha was predicated on was the first scrimmage having boosters when the point you made was the second, specifically. He stepped on that rake all alone and I let it go. My therapist will be proud of me for letting that sail right by.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Knowing the exact date a bunch of old rich dudes are to watch a practice is super cool and worthy of my (clearly limited) brain space. Ya got me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Most people have compulsions to drink or gamble or bang whores.   Your compulsions are somehow sadder.

It comes from being one question away from being on the spectrum I’m sure. Like Tom Cruise, sometimes it can be exhausting to pretend to be a regular humanoid. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

FWIW - I am optimistic on Junior and Roschon (don't think it is broken).

I am pessimistic on Neyor.  I do not know anything definitive.  Hopefully that report from that poster on IT is true.  I am not directly contradicting it, just saying it would be a pleasant surprise if it is true.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

By: Justin and Eric

Content from earlier is in regular font. New content is in bold, like this: There were times it was 1s vs 2s and the 2s didn’t hold up. It’s worth noting for zero-sum considerations.

Offense:

Quinn Ewers had the throw of the day on a bomb in stride to Casey Cain. But, the next throw he didn’t see Jerrin Thompson and got picked. That sums him up pretty well at this very early point in his career. Ewers also threw a pick to a linebacker (we think Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey but don’t know for sure).

Hudson Card made some good throws early but then the defense dialed up the pressure and he was struggling to find receivers. The coverage was working well with that pressure and there wasn’t anywhere to go with the ball.

More on quarterbacks: Ewers was struggling some with accuracy, including overthrowing receivers. One source said “he is better” while another source said emphatically “Hudson Card was better today.” Make of that what you will.

Some mistook what we said previously about Card as ‘same old same old’. That’s a disingenuous read of what was written. On the day, QB’s were sacked around six times with Ewers and Card splitting that evenly-ish. If there’s a pass rush backed by good coverage it’s hard to play quarterback…it shouldn’t have to be explained. Both QB’s had their struggles. 

Ewers’ throw downfield was probably the best QB play of the day but for the most part the QB’s did most of their damage in the flat and over the middle. They struggled downfield and overall accuracy was spotty.

Card did have an interception in two-minute drill. I should have done a better job asking about how much pressure he was under, but it would have been a pick six. The DB got down instead of housing it because it was an ‘end the game’ situation. From that we can deduce Card was probably pressing given the situation.

Overall, there were times the offensive line was struggling with the pass rush and the ball needs to come out quicker for both (not one of them, but both). 

Quit being emotional about the reporting on quarterbacks. It’s just as easy to state your case in a rational way. You should also quit being definitive. Sports capture our attention because of how unpredictable they are. In any event, they’re both Horns, both good teammates, and they’ll both be needed this saeason.

Bijan Robinson had a jock-dropping play when he deked Morice Blackwell in the open field. We heard ”No 5 is certainly ready to go.”

Jonathon Brooks played well but we didn’t get many details on that. Maybe a good sign for the O-line? Brooks and Jaydon Blue will see reps increase with Roschon Johnson out for an undetermined amount of time.

Heard more on Brooks having a good day. “Was he running it inside or outside?” Response: “He was running it inside and outside.” That’s what you like about him — volume back who threatens laterally and vertically.

Walkon Kai Woods had a long TD later in the scrimmage. He’s a pretty athletic kid who might earn his way to special teams.

We feel Roschon Johnson’s injury isn’t too serious but we’re awaiting MRI results. It’s never good to go into a season banged up so hopefully they can get him healthy before first kick.

Cole Hutson got the start at guard. Junior Angilau was running twos at center (hmmmm, interesting) before he got hurt. We don’t know the severity of Angilau’s injury.

Kelvin Banks was first team left tackle in the second half. That line was Kelvin Banks-Hayden Conner-Jake Majors-Cole Hutson-Christian Jones.

It sounds like they were better in the run game than passing game. In particular they looked good in short yardage running the ball.

First team was Karic-Conner-Majors-Hutson-Jones and they looked pretty good early on.

Banks split a lot of reps with Karic with the ones. After today we probably feel a little more confident Banks will start the first game. 

“I felt the young guys looked good but didn’t always work together in unison.” Indeed, the second team OL struggled quite a bit with the first team DL. No surprise there.

Isaiah Neyor looked good before his injury. We don’t think it’s a knee for him, but it was non-contact.

Cain had that nice catch from Ewers.

We think Neyor’s injury is not nearly as serious as first feared but we again will wait on the MRI.

J-Whitt had a touchdown that was called back. He broke a tackle but another receiver got called for holding.

I’m not sure what he did today but we heard they love Savion Red. College ready body, very competitive. 

Troy Omeire was out there but not targeted as far as we know. Of course he’s still wearing his brace. Last year he re-injured his knee the same day he participated without his brace. They’re being careful.

This isn’t an official tally but we heard Ja’Tavion Sanders had three catches. Not huge plays but “he did what he always does and catches the ball.” That comment dates back to the spring. Sanders is known for his reliable hands. 

We didn’t hear anything regarding blocking. 

Defense:

Thanks to pressure and solid coverage it sounds like they won the day based off initial notes.

Better pursuit overall. We heard this about practice earlier in the week and it carried over to the scrimmage. 

Byron Murphy and T’Vondre Sweat stood out as far as interior pressure goes. They were flushing the pocket. Vernon Broughton also added a sack. Look, if they allow these guys to play to their strengths it’s going to make things easier for everyone else.

J’Mond Tapp did not look out of place today. “He’s a man.” 

Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey was making plays. That’s a very good sign. We think he had an interception.

”Tuck” was a standout today. “He’s a thumper.” “He triggers fast downhill and tackles well. He’s good laterally too.” It sounds like he was a wonderful ID by the support staff while also bringing leadership to the program.

DeMarvion Overshown had a sack. We heard it stemmed from him hitting an interior gap. 

Jett Bush forced a fumble.

Jaylon Guilbeau stood out at Star. He was with the ones. Jahdae Barron was apparently dinged up on Friday.

Jerrin Thompson had a pick.

”Guilbeau has improved a lot and impressed today. He’s earning snaps. Covering well, tackling well, attacking screens.” His communication is said to be getting better and better. (That’s an underrated aspect of football, if you’re not communication your head is probably swimming and you’re less likely to play assignment football)

Jamier Johnson was also mentioned as someone who has improved a lot since the spring.

Ishmael Ibraheem had a pick on Charles Wright.

Overall DB‘s have much better communication and the safeties tackled well today.

We’ll get much more.

And we did.

• Hook 'Em 9

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Content from earlier is in regular font. New content is in bold, like this: There were times it was 1s vs 2s and the 2s didn’t hold up. It’s worth noting for zero-sum considerations.

Offense:

Quinn Ewers had the throw of the day on a bomb in stride to Casey Cain. But, the next throw he didn’t see Jerrin Thompson and got picked. That sums him up pretty well at this very early point in his career. Ewers also threw a pick to a linebacker (we think Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey but don’t know for sure).

Hudson Card made some good throws early but then the defense dialed up the pressure and he was struggling to find receivers. The coverage was working well with that pressure and there wasn’t anywhere to go with the ball.

More on quarterbacks: Ewers was struggling some with accuracy, including overthrowing receivers. One source said “he is better” while another source said emphatically “Hudson Card was better today.” Make of that what you will.

Some mistook what we said previously about Card as ‘same old same old’. That’s a disingenuous read of what was written. On the day, QB’s were sacked around six times with Ewers and Card splitting that evenly-ish. If there’s a pass rush backed by good coverage it’s hard to play quarterback…it shouldn’t have to be explained. Both QB’s had their struggles. 

Ewers’ throw downfield was probably the best QB play of the day but for the most part the QB’s did most of their damage in the flat and over the middle. They struggled downfield and overall accuracy was spotty.

Card did have an interception in two-minute drill. I should have done a better job asking about how much pressure he was under, but it would have been a pick six. The DB got down instead of housing it because it was an ‘end the game’ situation. From that we can deduce Card was probably pressing given the situation.

Overall, there were times the offensive line was struggling with the pass rush and the ball needs to come out quicker for both (not one of them, but both). 

Quit being emotional about the reporting on quarterbacks. It’s just as easy to state your case in a rational way. You should also quit being definitive. Sports capture our attention because of how unpredictable they are. In any event, they’re both Horns, both good teammates, and they’ll both be needed this saeason.

Bijan Robinson had a jock-dropping play when he deked Morice Blackwell in the open field. We heard ”No 5 is certainly ready to go.”

Jonathon Brooks played well but we didn’t get many details on that. Maybe a good sign for the O-line? Brooks and Jaydon Blue will see reps increase with Roschon Johnson out for an undetermined amount of time.

Heard more on Brooks having a good day. “Was he running it inside or outside?” Response: “He was running it inside and outside.” That’s what you like about him — volume back who threatens laterally and vertically.

Walkon Kai Woods had a long TD later in the scrimmage. He’s a pretty athletic kid who might earn his way to special teams.

We feel Roschon Johnson’s injury isn’t too serious but we’re awaiting MRI results. It’s never good to go into a season banged up so hopefully they can get him healthy before first kick.

Cole Hutson got the start at guard. Junior Angilau was running twos at center (hmmmm, interesting) before he got hurt. We don’t know the severity of Angilau’s injury.

Kelvin Banks was first team left tackle in the second half. That line was Kelvin Banks-Hayden Conner-Jake Majors-Cole Hutson-Christian Jones.

It sounds like they were better in the run game than passing game. In particular they looked good in short yardage running the ball.

First team was Karic-Conner-Majors-Hutson-Jones and they looked pretty good early on.

Banks split a lot of reps with Karic with the ones. After today we probably feel a little more confident Banks will start the first game. 

“I felt the young guys looked good but didn’t always work together in unison.” Indeed, the second team OL struggled quite a bit with the first team DL. No surprise there.

Isaiah Neyor looked good before his injury. We don’t think it’s a knee for him, but it was non-contact.

We think Neyor’s injury is not nearly as serious as first feared but we again will wait on the MRI.

J-Whitt had a touchdown that was called back. He broke a tackle but another receiver got called for holding.

I’m not sure what he did today but we heard they love Savion Red. College ready body, very competitive. 

Troy Omeire was out there but not targeted as far as we know. Of course he’s still wearing his brace. Last year he re-injured his knee the same day he participated without his brace. They’re being careful.

This isn’t an official tally but we heard Ja’Tavion Sanders had three catches. Not huge plays but “he did what he always does and catches the ball.” That comment dates back to the spring. Sanders is known for his reliable hands. 

Defense:

Thanks to pressure and solid coverage it sounds like they won the day based off initial notes.

Better pursuit overall. We heard this about practice earlier in the week and it carried over to the scrimmage. 

Byron Murphy and T’Vondre Sweat stood out as far as interior pressure goes. They were flushing the pocket. Vernon Broughton also added a sack. Look, if they allow these guys to play to their strengths it’s going to make things easier for everyone else.

Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey was making plays. That’s a very good sign. We think he had an interception.

”Tuck” was a standout today. “He’s a thumper.” “He triggers fast downhill and tackles well. He’s good laterally too.” It sounds like he was a wonderful ID by the support staff while also bringing leadership to the program.

DeMarvion Overshown had a sack. We heard it stemmed from him hitting an interior gap. 

Jaylon Guilbeau stood out at Star. He was with the ones. Jahdae Barron was apparently dinged up on Friday.

”Guilbeau has improved a lot and impressed today. He’s earning snaps. Covering well, tackling well, attacking screens.” His communication is said to be getting better and better. (That’s an underrated aspect of football, if you’re not communication your head is probably swimming and you’re less likely to play assignment football)

Jamier Johnson was also mentioned as someone who has improved a lot since the spring.

Overall DB‘s have much better communication and the safeties tackled well today.

We’ll get much more.

And we did.

formatting

Content from earlier is in regular font. New content is in bold, like this: There were times it was 1s vs 2s and the 2s didn’t hold up. It’s worth noting for zero-sum considerations.

Offense:

Defense:

We’ll get much more.

And we did.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Quinn is a gamer. All things being equal we should find out against ULM.

Hey and I don’t disagree with that at all. Sark needs to sack up, name Hudson the starter for Monroe and then let Quinn take over should Hudson falter.  What’s fair is fair

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I like how they come back to make so much clarifications because responses were like “same old same with card”

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Hey and I don’t disagree with that at all. Sark needs to sack up, name Hudson the starter for Monroe and then let Quinn take over should Hudson falter.  What’s fair is fair

someone wants that rack

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I like how they come back to make so much clarifications because responses were like “same old same with card”

They also came back and said they heard Ewers was better.

Not everything is pro-Card on that site despite your belief.

Edited by Hookem2147