2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They also came back and said they heard Ewers was better.

Not everything is pro-Card on that site despite your belief.

They’ve been pro card and courteous to him more than his competition. Even other posters reading here have pointed it out.  It’s a shame Nahlin got burned with his NIL gamble. 

I refuse to make predictions, but I just want to make a point about the QB competition. The Texas message boards have a loooong history of writing QBs off too soon, and Colt McCoy forever screwed up our expectations for freshman. VY flashed talent but was overall not great his first season. People wanted him to move to WR. Shane Buechele didn't appear to have what it took to succeed at the college level, and freshman Ehlinger had many people on this site thinking he was "simple". Card very well could develop here or he is another Buechele/Jerrod Heard. Ewers may be the greatest freshman ever or he may need to go through growing pains as well.

All that goes to say that the only prediction I am willing to make is that we will likely need Card to let his nuts hang at several points throughout the season. He better have them ready. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They’ve been pro card and courteous to him more than his competition. Even other posters reading here have pointed it out.  It’s a shame Nahlin got burned with his NIL gamble. 

I mean, the guy still said he would lean towards Ewers starting. But fair enough on the NIL stuff. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have a compulsion to translate gibberish into what’s actually meant by it to clarify things. I don’t know why but I can’t stop myself when someone confuses people by misusing words but I understand the point they are trying to make. 

Thanks anyways for helping this damsel in distress.  If I ever brush up against a bulletin board genius again,  I hope you come to my aid.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sock Monkey said:

I refuse to make predictions, but I just want to make a point about the QB competition. The Texas message boards have a loooong history of writing QBs off too soon, and Colt McCoy forever screwed up our expectations for freshman. VY flashed talent but was overall not great his first season. People wanted him to move to WR. Shane Buechele didn't appear to have what it took to succeed at the college level, and freshman Ehlinger had many people on this site thinking he was "simple". Card very well could develop here or he is another Buechele/Jerrod Heard. Ewers may be the greatest freshman ever or he may need to go through growing pains as well.

All that goes to say that the only prediction I am willing to make is that we will likely need Card to let his nuts hang at several points throughout the season. He better have them ready. 

Ewers is starting and going all 14 games. 

I hope Card doesn't take a meaningful snap. 

Additional scrimmage notes from 247. Always funny how OB seems to always be on the extreme of one end while the other outlets always seem to add more context

Spoiler

— There was a shakeup when Junior Angilau went down, but I was told that the line adjusted fairly well. The ones were (from left to right) Andrej Karic, Hayden Conner, Jake Majors, Cole Hutson and Christian Jones. Kelvin Banks also split time at left tackle with Karic, and I was told he had an impressive day. We've been reporting some confidence in Banks over the last few weeks, but one of the sources made it sound like it's a matter of when and not if that Banks takes control of the first team left tackle position. We've expected several freshmen to be asked to contribute up front and right now it looks like Banks and Hutson are the favorites for that early in the season.

— I asked about Devon Campbell and was told that his athleticism and ability shine, but he's still adjusting to playing inside. Campbell played tackle at the high school level and has new responsibilities to learn on the interior. I was told that this offense asks a lot of the interior players and Campbell is still getting up to speed here. When I asked another source where they thought Campbell was on his development path, they didn't seem worried and felt he'd still be called upon to play often as he keeps learning and improving.

— Overall, it sounded like the first-team offensive line had a good performance on the day, but the second team struggled. That should probably be expected going against the ones, but there were a few bright spots. I was told that a few freshmen struggled, but Malik Agbo had some encouraging moments and strong plays throughout the day.

— I was told Hudson Card took the snaps with the ones to start the day and looked to have the better performance. I was told that Card just took better care of the ball though both passers struggled with getting the ball out fast enough against the oncoming rush. I asked a source if the pass rush was more of a positive indicator for the defense or a negative indicator for the offense, and I was told that it was the latter. It was mentioned that DeMarvion Overshown gave the Longhorns a little something off the edge though.

— Ewers flashed his incredible upside, but he turned the ball over and put it in dangerous positions several times. I was told that today, Card looked more comfortable operating the offense. At the receiver position, a source mentioned that Jordan Whittington had the best day of anyone at the position. On the defensive side of the ball, the sources I spoke with praised the first team defensive line as a whole for their performance.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 11:24 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Humidor:

By: Eric and Justin

After the defense fared better on Tuesday, during the first full pad practice, the offense exacted revenge on Thursday as they went full pads again. What stood about the offense on Thursday was the run game. Running backs were getting the edge when going off tackle and getting downhill. Tackling could have been cleaner too, from what we hear. Yes, the blocking was improved but there were also some blown assignments as well. This is setting up for an interesting scrimmage on Saturday. The team is going half pads today.

When doing some Q&A with sources we uncovered some interesting notes.

Kelvin Banks was the very first offensive lineman mentioned. News of his early prowess is making the rounds. We're hearing it rather consistently from myriad sources. His ability is even making the rounds in the hallways of Isidore Newman high school. He is still with second team but he has a chance to be the best O-lineman in the program by the end of the year.

The second offensive lineman mentioned was Hayden Conner. He's smart, reliable, big, and he can move relative to guard.

Cole Hutson was also mentioned. He was with the ones at right guard. IT asked if he's similar to Conner and was told he is very similar to Conner.

With the defense struggling on Thursday we asked how much better, if at all, will they be than last year? We were told there is less confusion, the guys are playing faster, and that effort level is much better across the board. "Higher effort" players singled out were Vernon Broughton, Byron Murphy, Demarvion Overshown, Anthony Cook, and Jerrin Thompson.

Murphy is being called the best interior defensive lineman through cap so far. That's not to say he's the most talented overall, but he's consistent and he is very difficult to keep blocked. Encouragingly, T'Vondre Sweat was mentioned as having a strong week up front. The program needs Sweat and Alfred Collins to play up to their potential. 

With the offense experiencing success running outside we asked who was manning the edges. For much of the day it was Ovie Oghoufo on one side and Prince Dorbah on the other. We haven't heard much about Dorbah so it was interesting he was with the ones so much. Clearly the staff was repping the 2-4-5 look.

Freshman Derrick Brown is at SAM. This is instructive because whatever they do with him, and Overshown, they'll probably do with Derion Gullette. Brown will move to Buck in time -- some guys can play both Buck and Sam -- but that'll come after he gains weight. 

I can feel y'all scrolling for QB and Agiye Hall info. 

A source felt Hudson Card had the better week so far, but it's close. The source mentioned his increased confidence and command. "He's barking out calls now. He's just more confident." Quinn Ewers doesn't have the command of the offense, yet finding Isaiah Neyor down the field is becoming second nature to him. 

IT would not rule out a starter being named next week so the coaches can add more focus to that player. We're not reporting it will happen, but we'll be watching out for it. The scrimmage looms big.

We don't have anything new on Agiye Hall. There will likely be a time and place where we feel better about adding a little color. We think the school will have a statement out later.

Yeah, being loud and barking is always the sign of a better player. 

22 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

ACL is either functionally intact or not. Grading doesn’t matter 

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Fair. I’m IM—>ID so to be fair whenever a patient mentions knee pain I generally nod my head and never think about it again. 

Take your nerd MD fight to another board. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Majors was probably our second best OL behind Angilau, especially pass blocking wise (and Conner in his limited snaps)

This is a ridiculous statement. Derek Kerstetter was the best OL last year by a very wide margin. He is in an NFL camp right now for a reason. 

You can make an argument that Majors was #3, but that's damning with faith praise given the low bar, and you could also reasonably rank him lower (ranking last year's OL from 3-7 is just trivial masochism). And that's not inconsistent with what I said - in a healthy OL room, Majors would not have been on the field. That wasn't Texas though. 

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

This is a ridiculous statement. Derek Kerstetter was the best OL last year by a very wide margin. He is in an NFL camp right now for a reason. 

You can make an argument that Majors was #3, but that's damning with faith praise given the low bar, and you could also reasonably rank him lower (ranking last year's OL from 3-7 is just trivial masochism). And that's not inconsistent with what I said - in a healthy OL room, Majors would not have been on the field. That wasn't Texas though. 

Forgot about Kerstetter. You are right on that one.

Our biggest liability is pass protection and Majors did not allow a sack after week 2 of last season. He graded out extremely well (top 4 centers in the Big 12) and offers the athleticism to be useful in all the run schemes Flood and Sark like to run.

You can not have a healthy OL room and still have some good guys starting on the first team.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

ACL is either functionally intact or not. Grading doesn’t matter 

You can also function with a torn acl as long as you aren’t doing high stress activities.  Granted, running routes is a high stress activity, but my cousin’s husband didn’t have his surgery for a few years after he tore it, and the only thing he had to give up was wakeboarding.

11 hours ago, trythisathome said:

5-7 is back on the menu boys!

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

lol if the OL and “defense has just been killing the offense” bits are remotely accurate, this team is going to be garbage

10 hours ago, immamac said:

6-6 here we come. 

10 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Oh Jesus we aren't going to be ready. 

10 hours ago, immamac said:

The 2 patty cake games. Kansas. West Virginia. Texas Tech. TCU.  (In order of confidence) 

Anything after that is over achievement for seven win Steve and his band of 18-19 year olds. 

8 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Sounds like the OL got throttled. At least the boosters got to see their guy!

I fucking told  all you fuckers that our OL is a combination of complete jabronis coupled with a bunch of extremely talented freshmen, and that this doesn't bode well for the season. Did I fucking stutter?

Anyone who's surprised by this result needs to bash their head into a brick. Repeatedly.

image.png.076f59e459263417bb6dc9ee1c1152ba.png

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If I know that a guy shits himself in the pocket and has an almost craven need to throw pick 6’s on the reg, that makes him “low risk” because I already know that he presents my worst case scenario at QB? Okay, then. 

2 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

...and QB is the same issue. I'll believe Card is a capable QB the moment I see it happen for a full game, under pressure. And if we're in that situation, lock up the liquor stores because there's no way I'm facing that future sober.

Ewers has the potential to not completely suck but yet again he is a redshirt freshman and anyone expecting the Second Coming of Colt McCoy from him, or (please don't make me laugh) anything worth watching from Card, is delusional.

tl;dr -- we'll be lucky to win 7 games, we have always beenin that situation, thank you fuckers for finally joining reality.

2023 should be better, and 2024 even better, but expect a lot of fucking growing pains this year. There'll be some amazing shit that gives you hope, but our peak is winning a shitty bowl game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

2023 should be better, and 2024 even better, but expect a lot of fucking growing pains this year. There'll be some amazing shit that gives you hope, but our peak is winning a shitty bowl game.

I respect you for trying to keep expectations reasonable. So many people act like any deviation from perfection is a travesty. I'll take regular old "good" at this point.

Expect growing pains from our quarterbacks but ALSO expect the rest of the team to rally around them and take some of the burden off them. Especially Worthy and Bijan. This team knows (better than us) that their quarterbacks are going to need some help to get us into the win column.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MAGS® said:

Ky's a good kid.  Played for Clear Springs and a solid back according to a couple coaches i know.  Talked to him for a good half hour about UT when I ran into him at a graduation party.  Not going to lie, when he told me he was going to UT as a running back i had to run to the bathroom to google who the fuck he was...  

image.png.7bdec7a369f0e859109564f5b2eb04b2.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

After one week of practice and one scrimmage you are taking a victory lap over your predictions of doom and gloom?

Read between the lines and see what's going on. OLs don't just fix themselves in one good year of recruiting. Never have, never will.

1 hour ago, Henry Hill said:

Undefeated. National champs. Come fight me.

Why would I bother? The disappointment alone will wreck you far worse than any punches I could throw.

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Why on earth would you feel compelled step into the middle of gunfire between me and a clown?

Really, it is more like cap guns so it is kind of funny except that it ruins the whole scene. So if I can speak for Wulaw, what he thinks is that you missed a word in the quoted sentence and is wondering if Sydney stole your keyboard.

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

Walkon Kai Woods had a long TD later in the scrimmage. He’s a pretty athletic kid who might earn his way to special teams.

Saw he ran a 10.92 as a junior and was a multiyear 1st team all district rb at Clear Springs (24-6A)

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Additional scrimmage notes from 247. Always funny how OB seems to always be on the extreme of one end while the other outlets always seem to add more context

Hide contents

— There was a shakeup when Junior Angilau went down, but I was told that the line adjusted fairly well. The ones were (from left to right) Andrej Karic, Hayden Conner, Jake Majors, Cole Hutson and Christian Jones. Kelvin Banks also split time at left tackle with Karic, and I was told he had an impressive day. We've been reporting some confidence in Banks over the last few weeks, but one of the sources made it sound like it's a matter of when and not if that Banks takes control of the first team left tackle position. We've expected several freshmen to be asked to contribute up front and right now it looks like Banks and Hutson are the favorites for that early in the season.

— I asked about Devon Campbell and was told that his athleticism and ability shine, but he's still adjusting to playing inside. Campbell played tackle at the high school level and has new responsibilities to learn on the interior. I was told that this offense asks a lot of the interior players and Campbell is still getting up to speed here. When I asked another source where they thought Campbell was on his development path, they didn't seem worried and felt he'd still be called upon to play often as he keeps learning and improving.

— Overall, it sounded like the first-team offensive line had a good performance on the day, but the second team struggled. That should probably be expected going against the ones, but there were a few bright spots. I was told that a few freshmen struggled, but Malik Agbo had some encouraging moments and strong plays throughout the day.

— I was told Hudson Card took the snaps with the ones to start the day and looked to have the better performance. I was told that Card just took better care of the ball though both passers struggled with getting the ball out fast enough against the oncoming rush. I asked a source if the pass rush was more of a positive indicator for the defense or a negative indicator for the offense, and I was told that it was the latter. It was mentioned that DeMarvion Overshown gave the Longhorns a little something off the edge though.

— Ewers flashed his incredible upside, but he turned the ball over and put it in dangerous positions several times. I was told that today, Card looked more comfortable operating the offense. At the receiver position, a source mentioned that Jordan Whittington had the best day of anyone at the position. On the defensive side of the ball, the sources I spoke with praised the first team defensive line as a whole for their performance.

negged. no mention of Max Merrill.