2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

God. Damn. Football. Board. 

didn’t we used to have threads for just the practice reports without having to wade through the throngs of Stupid? @immamac? Because that would be really splendid right now. 

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Did we? I'm not sure that was ever a think. The football board has always been filled to the brim with morons. 

Only in season on the 9.95 stuff that I recall. Satya posted them. Maybe there was preseason stuff but I don’t recall. 

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Am I reading all these scrimmage reports correctly that Card ran the 1st team offense against the 2nd team defense while Ewers ran the 2nd team offense against the 1st team defense?

Isn’t that kind of a significant factor when judging their performances that were reportedly very close to equal?

They rotated with the 1’s.

Edited by Hookem2147

Bobby with a kicking update 

Spoiler

Eric and Justin reported authoritatively and exhaustively on the scrimmage all day long.

But they left a little scrap for me!

In the scrimmage, the team worked on situational field goal kicking. The two primary competitors for the open position are walk-on sophomore Bert Auburn and true freshman Will Stone.

In the end-of-the-game scenario, I’m told that Auburn pushed one left and then another attempt right. Stone connected on his attempts.

Before those attempts, it was believed that Auburn was slightly ahead in the competition.

At punter, Isaac Pearson is the punter. I don’t mean that to sound like he’s the second coming of Michael Dickson. It’s just that Pearson was the only punter who attempted a punt during the scrimmage. The Aussie clearly has a hold on the position. But if he were to get injured attempting one of those rugby tackles like Dickson did, I don’t know who the Horns would call upon. Perhaps that’s why Texas added Daniel Trejo from Texas Wesleyan just yesterday. Trejo averaged 39.1 yards per punt a year ago.

35 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The Aussie clearly has a hold on the position. But if he were to get injured attempting one of those rugby tackles like Dickson did, I don’t know who the Horns would call upon. Perhaps that’s why Texas added Daniel Trejo from Texas Wesleyan just yesterday. Trejo averaged 39.1 yards per punt a year ago.

Not sure he can pull off the "Ron McKelvey", but it's worth a shot I guess if he can punt.

image.png.473b79fa328c8fb28aef6a5f52fecf06.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Those reports on Broughton and Sweat are encouraging,  if we can get some solid play from them that's good.  

Collins I don't have a clue.  During the off season I try to form an opinion based on not real reliable information from $9.95'rs and opinion from the well informed Surly masses,  but trying to figure Collins out is impossible.   

...and QB is the same issue. I'll believe Card is a capable QB the moment I see it happen for a full game, under pressure. And if we're in that situation, lock up the liquor stores because there's no way I'm facing that future sober.
Ewers has the potential to not completely suck but yet again he is a redshirt freshman and anyone expecting the Second Coming of Colt McCoy from him, or (please don't make me laugh) anything worth watching from Card, is delusional.
tl;dr -- we'll be lucky to win 7 games, we have always beenin that situation, thank you fuckers for finally joining reality.
2023 should be better, and 2024 even better, but expect a lot of fucking growing pains this year. There'll be some amazing shit that gives you hope, but our peak is winning a shitty bowl game.

Make no mistake, I’ve been on the ~7-5 train all offseason.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:20 PM, Slacks said:

Ok... Slax is a bit behind, because he's busy...

Why do people keep wanting there to not be a QB competition?

No coach will hand a job to a dude who hasn't played a down of CFB... Especially over a dude that was named a starter a year before... They're going to have to show and prove something.

I get it... Trust me... I didn't want Card to start last year, because I saw some Jerrod Heard in him.

That doesn't mean he can't go to his personal team of trainers and psychologists and learn not to run back and to the right... It's an easy fix, really.

I want someone to separate. Again, players play.

If it's Card, go ball.

If it's Ewers, go ball.

But handing the most important job in sports to a player that hasn't played a down? Nah, son. If he's better he'll take the job.

If Card is a better QB we are truly proper fucked.

Also Ewers played like 5 snaps last year lol

Not like he played much, but let's not act like he is coming straight from HS or played 0 actual snaps.

Not that it matters. Look at how many Card played last year and how well he did.

Injury stuff from IT

Eric/Justin reported Roschon is awaiting test results. Hopeful it is a sprain. But still will be some missed time no matter what. Just depends how much.

Neyor was precautionary. He walked to the locker room as we first reported. Still not out of the woods though. Awaiting test results last we heard.

Angilau was in a boot and on crutches. Still awaiting results there, too.

Alfred Collins was injured on Friday. We are hearing out 4-6 weeks.

Jahdae Barron stepped on a ref’s foot in practice on Friday. He’s in a boot but just precautionary.

• Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, NoName said:

If Card is a better QB we are truly proper fucked.

Also Ewers played like 5 snaps last year lol

Not like he played much, but let's not act like he is coming straight from HS or played 0 actual snaps.

Not that it matters. Look at how many Card played last year and how well he did.

This maybe the case. It is quite possible that Ewers’ head is swimming at this point, though I thought he looked better than Card in the spring game. Ewers is going to start this season, but it’s possible this could be a Trevor Lawrence situation. We may have to wait a couple more weeks than anticipated. I hope that isn’t the case, but it is certainly a non-zero possibility. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not losing sleep or anything. That just seems pretty weak even for walk on territory. 

You know who is losing sleep over it?  The Texas Weslyan coach who is putting up flyers around campus because he has to find a new punter during the middle of training camp.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Injury stuff from IT

Eric/Justin reported Roschon is awaiting test results. Hopeful it is a sprain. But still will be some missed time no matter what. Just depends how much.

Neyor was precautionary. He walked to the locker room as we first reported. Still not out of the woods though. Awaiting test results last we heard.

Angilau was in a boot and on crutches. Still awaiting results there, too.

Alfred Collins was injured on Friday. We are hearing out 4-6 weeks.

Jahdae Barron stepped on a ref’s foot in practice on Friday. He’s in a boot but just precautionary.

Hmm so now we've got IT, OB, and the one IT alleged insider poster saying no big deal for Neyor, vs Someguy saying he's pessimistic. Nothing from 247 I believe. Source off!!!

22 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This maybe the case. It is quite possible that Ewers’ head is swimming at this point, though I thought he looked better than Card in the spring game. Ewers is going to start this season, but it’s possible this could be a Trevor Lawrence situation. We may have to wait a couple more weeks than anticipated. I hope that isn’t the case, but it is certainly a non-zero possibility. 

Sacha Baron Cohen Yes GIF by Amazon Prime Video

21 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Hate to see these guys injured. Really hate “non contact knee injury”. I’m not sure that’s ever resulted in something that isn’t ligament related 

My son had one in a scrimmage Friday... Straight to the bench. Then was screaming getting out of the car and into the house. I was going to take him to the ER... I helped him up stairs. He took ibuprofen and a hot bath and said he was fine later.  Went to lift and film the next morning, then played basketball.

Young bodies are weird like that.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If Angilau is out for an extended period of time, that simplifies some of the OL questions. Banks-Conner-Majors-Hutson-Jones/Williams. 

It’s weird considering they played Conner at LT in the spring, but they seem pretty set at keeping him at guard right now.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s weird considering they played Conner at LT in the spring, but they seem pretty set at keeping him at guard right now.

Just speculating, but they may want to keep a high IQ OL next to Banks to help communicate assignments 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Excellent news if true (the injury part I mean). Seems odd Rojo would be carted off for a mild sprain though

Mild sprain can be (far) more painful than a break.

My concern with ankle sprain on a RB is the likelihood of reaggravating that sprain is pretty high... Event with top notch training and med staff taping and wrapping...  (There is a Dr. Dre joke in the somewhere...)

20 hours ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Really? Hungry DL's, flashing LBs and 4 star DBs. Your description confirms they are unaccomplished and ain't done shit. I mean honestly there is not a player on defense who has ever performed consistently  on the college level. Have you watched Texas football for the past decade? User name checkouts

Now do QB, OL, TE.

Let's get real here...  This team has proven production at TWO positions only: RB and WR. People are wishcasting all others. There is unrealized potential everywhere. 

let's just see.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, MAGS® said:

Ky's a good kid.  Played for Clear Springs and a solid back according to a couple coaches i know.  Talked to him for a good half hour about UT when I ran into him at a graduation party.  Not going to lie, when he told me he was going to UT as a running back i had to run to the bathroom to google who the fuck he was...  

He's going to graduate.