2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

37 minutes ago, Slacks said:

My son had one in a scrimmage Friday... Straight to the bench. Then was screaming getting out of the car and into the house. I was going to take him to the ER... I helped him up stairs. He took ibuprofen and a hot bath and said he was fine later.  Went to lift and film the next morning, then played basketball.

Young bodies are weird like that.

Glad your son is feeling better.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

In my very limited experience, the defense always kicks ass immediately after pads go on. Their jobs are generally less complicated and involve less timing and whole unit execution. I would appreciate someone with experience beyond high school football confirming whether or not this is the same at higher levels of football.

It is the same at the University level. Especially with young offense vs less young defense.

A few national guys are starting to insinuate the unthinkable….
[/url]  

Good. Iron sharpens iron. For months, many people have been saying that Card may start the season. Most just don’t think he’s starting when we reach conference play. I’m all for having two capable QBs, but the ceiling is lower with Card starting all season. Hence, why most of us are shouting for Ewers to start.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This thread (program) is depressing as shit.

It might be, if you're in "win it all now" mode. If you're looking at the trend line, it's a beautiful sight to see.

We're going to be thoroughly mediocre this year, but better each year after that.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Injury stuff from IT

Eric/Justin reported Roschon is awaiting test results. Hopeful it is a sprain. But still will be some missed time no matter what. Just depends how much.

Neyor was precautionary. He walked to the locker room as we first reported. Still not out of the woods though. Awaiting test results last we heard.

Angilau was in a boot and on crutches. Still awaiting results there, too.

Alfred Collins was injured on Friday. We are hearing out 4-6 weeks.

Jahdae Barron stepped on a ref’s foot in practice on Friday. He’s in a boot but just precautionary.

I’m being told the ref Jahdae stepped on is also in a boot. Likely just precautionary but still waiting on test results.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It might be, if you're in "win it all now" mode. If you're looking at the trend line, it's a beautiful sight to see.

We're going to be thoroughly mediocre this year, but better each year after that.

I can be patient, and am willing to invest in youth for long term program strength at the expense of short term results, but will the 2023 recruiting class have the same patience? That’s my biggest concern in this day and age. 

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Ahh yes.  A trendline with one data point, always super reliable.

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Ain't nobody got time for all that. Besides, if we're anything close to mediocre this season, it'll be the 5th time this decade we'll all be debating who the next coach should be. 

Your post might've been true 20 years ago, but not today. 

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The 2005 Alamo Bowl is on the Big 10 Network right now.  Nebraska in a disappointing year 1 under Bill Callahan against a disappointing Michigan team. 

Herbstreit is going on and on about how this kind of year was necessary for Callahan to take Nebraska where they needed to be in the future. He’s going to have them getting better and better over the next few years. Nebraska fans just need to be patient with the process. 

Does that sound familiar? It’s exactly as stupid as what you continue to pound into a keyboard. Turnarounds don’t take decades. They shouldn’t take 5 years at Texas.

I certainly struggle to see this team as anything better than 7-5. That considered, I’m not real sure why that is supposed to ensure improvement to higher levels in the future. I guess we’ll see. I do know this - if Seven Loss Steve is dumb enough to name Hudson Card the starter heading into this season, there really isn’t enough sunshine available for what you’d have to pump to be selling all of us on the rosy future. 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, Codaxx said:

One thing he did well was find the outlet, I think that was at the expense of taking some chances. I think if anything he is more likely to give up on the deeper throw and hit the outlet. Which fits with a player that seemed to lack confidence 

I witnessed a high level coach teaching his QB to hit the outlet if the big play wasn't immediately open. I'm not going to crush a RSFR in a new system going to the check often. I think it's smart football.

Confidence (and high level execution) comes from repetition.

I don't like how card handles pressure, but our OL was so bad that it didn't matter and it wasn't going to matter. VY and Colt would have struggled to pass in that offense.

I'm all for whomever winning the job...  I'm not for (continually) handing it to the new guy because he's not the last guy.  We need the guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I witnessed a high level coach teaching his QB to hit the outlet if the big play wasn't immediately open. I'm not going to crush a RSFR in a new system going to the check often. I think it's smart football.

Confidence (and high level execution) comes from repetition.

I don't like how card handles pressure, but our OL was so bad that it didn't matter and it wasn't going to matter. VY and Colt would have struggled to pass in that offense.

I'm all for whomever winning the job...  I'm not for (continually) handing it to the new guy because he's not the last guy.  We need the guy.

I have compared him to Keontay Ingram. Just a guy that lives with the last play. He flashes at times, but one mistake and it is down the rabbit hole. Not saying he can’t overcome that, but I think that is the kind of thing that sticks with you

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The 2005 Alamo Bowl is on the Big 10 Network right now.  Nebraska in a disappointing year 1 under Bill Callahan against a disappointing Michigan team. 

Herbstreit is going on and on about how this kind of year was necessary for Callahan to take Nebraska where they needed to be in the future. He’s going to have them getting better and better over the next few years. Nebraska fans just need to be patient with the process. 

Does that sound familiar? It’s exactly as stupid as what you continue to pound into a keyboard. Turnarounds don’t take decades. They shouldn’t take 5 years at Texas.

I certainly struggle to see this team as anything better than 7-5. That considered, I’m not real sure why that is supposed to ensure improvement to higher levels in the future. I guess we’ll see. I do know this - if Seven Loss Steve is dumb enough to name Hudson Card the starter heading into this season, there really isn’t enough sunshine available for what you’d have to pump to be selling all of us on the rosy future. 

I’m a tad more optimistic on overall program direction than you are after the transfer portal and the recruiting of the last 9 months or so, but you are deed balls on right if it doesn’t get better this year then it’s not going to happen. 
mid he trots out Card in week 1 he isn’t the guy. He might not be either way but that would be conclusive proof. 

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

With the amount of roster turnover we’ve had, it’s perfectly reasonable to think the defense might be performing better because of the new talent infusion and we shouldn’t be concerned if they stifle the offense.  Just look at who was making the plays:

You know what, on second thought:

spacer.png

I hate the way you are choosing to be. You also aren’t wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

but will the 2023 recruiting class have the same patience? That’s my biggest concern in this day and age. 

You should also be concerned about our 22 class. If we go 5-7 again, will they all want to stay? I don't know. Texas quickly ramped up its NIL apparatus. Others are starting to come along. If we are a laughingstock for another year, and a winning program offers our true freshman o-linemen a better NIL deal, things could get ugly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Notes from this:

-Roschon was reportedly screaming when he went down yesterday. Is currently in a boot and is awaiting MRI results.

-Neyor was a non-contact injury but it was considered a precaution to not bring him back in the scrimmage. Was not in a boot/cast after the scrimmage and was walking around.

-Angilau was in a boot and on crutches after the scrimmage. Was rolled up on from behind. Just from the way Wells talked I didn’t get the warm fuzzies on this one.

-Collins out 4-6 weeks from injury suffered Friday 

-Both QB’s did not play well. Neither has stepped up and grabbed a hold of the job. Multiple sources said Ewers had several nice throws but Card had the better overall day. “QB play is not bad, but it’s not where it needs to be”. Said Sark was tearing into the QB’s. Happy feet and not stepping into throws were issues for both. Body language was also poor for both.

-Bijan Robinson had 1 carry on the day and it was a 40-yard TD. Juked Blackwell out of his shoes. I’m gonna guess the fact Bijan only had 1 carry probably didn’t help the offense.

-Starting OL was Karic-Conner-Angilau-Hutson-Jones. Second half of the scrimmage Banks slid in for Karic and played well. Sounds like Jones job at RT is pretty safe right now. Williams isn’t breathing down his neck yet.

-Continue to hear good things about Savion Red both in the slot and on special teams. He is the primary punt returner right now.

-Sanders caught a couple passes and is starting to separate from the rest of the TE’s.

-Sounded like a good day for the defense. Heard really good things about Tucker-Dorsey. “Gary Johnson vibes” was what a source said. Reliable tackler.

-Jamison and Jerrin Thompson both had INT’s. Jamison’s was off of Card at the end of the scrimmage. Secondary as a whole had a good day. Guilbeau saw a lot of time at STAR with Barron out and showed well.

-J’Mond Tapp is flashing and is already well liked in the locker room.

-Didn’t say much about the OL or DL performance. Sounded like the story of the day was the QB’s against the secondary.

• Hook 'Em 7

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I sometimes think our fanbase has the collective IQ of a fucking tackling dummy. The big booster gathering for the scrimmage is next weekend and was never said otherwise, dipshit. It’s not even a minor detail. 

Ewers isn’t a fucking backup to Card. I can’t tell if you’re being willfully ignorant or purposefully obtuse. Card sucked last year. We all fucking witnessed it. Ewers is one of the highest rated players in recruiting history. If you can’t understand why people are praying for the fucking new guy in a way that isn’t your idiotic “people just love the backup “ trope, maybe take a few weeks off from the board, regroup, and come back and try again. 

Ewers should start. I just want him to take his preparation as seriously and often as he does his bank account. He should give us the best chance to win. It shouldn’t be a debate over whether he starts of Card. Ewers has the ability to shut that down. That being said (running errands around Atlanta where 9 out of 10 drivers are very shitty)…quick comment and video. See y’all at the surly tailgate and hope for the best. It can’t get any worse that watching the meltdown at the Kansas game at the surly tailgate last year. Favorite parts: @RGBIII infamous rant and @immamacstanding up during one particular moment (after being eerily quiet for a solid quarter) and saying, “God Damnit!” And not much else. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Notes from this:

-Roschon was reportedly screaming when he went down yesterday. Is currently in a boot and is awaiting MRI results.

-Neyor was a non-contact injury but it was considered a precaution to not bring him back in the scrimmage. Was not in a boot/cast after the scrimmage and was walking around.

-Angilau was in a boot and on crutches after the scrimmage. Was rolled up on from behind. Just from the way Wells talked I didn’t get the warm fuzzies on this one.

-Both QB’s did not play well. Neither has stepped up and grabbed a hold of the job. Multiple sources said Ewers had several nice throws but Card had the better overall day. “QB play is not bad, but it’s not where it needs to be”. Said Sark was tearing into the QB’s. Happy feet and not stepping into throws were issues for both. Body language was also poor for both.

-Bijan Robinson had 1 carry on the day and it was a 40-yard TD. Juked Blackwell out of his shoes. I’m gonna guess the fact Bijan only had 1 carry probably didn’t help the offense.

-Starting OL was Karic-Conner-Angilau-Hutson-Jones. Second half of the scrimmage Banks slid in for Karic and played well. Sounds like Jones job at RT is pretty safe right now. Williams isn’t breathing down his neck yet.

-Continue to hear good things about Savion Red both in the slot and on special teams. He is the primary punt returner right now.

-Sanders caught a couple passes and is starting to separate from the rest of the TE’s.

-Sounded like a good day for the defense. Heard really good things about Tucker-Dorsey. “Gary Johnson vibes” was what a source said. Reliable tackler.

-Jamison and Jerrin Thompson both had INT’s. Jamison’s was off of Card at the end of the scrimmage. Secondary as a whole had a good day. Guilbeau saw a lot of time at STAR with Barron out and showed well.

-Didn’t say much about the OL or DL performance. Sounded like the story of the day was the QB’s against the secondary.

Wells had the comment of the day… paraphrasing 

“Jamison seems like he has a pick every practice. It’s like Casey and Luke Brockermeyer….. Good lawd, he made Luke a starter”

I think the program would be better off with Ewers winning the job. That being said is like for him to step up and take it. I have no problem with not naming him the starter until he does. 
Card was tough to watch last year. It is certainly possible for him to improve but unfortunately I think most people don’t think he has the capacity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Michigan was shit too and "a couple years away" until they finally won their fucking games and made the playoff

20 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

You should also be concerned about our 22 class. If we go 5-7 again, will they all want to stay? I don't know. Texas quickly ramped up its NIL apparatus. Others are starting to come along. If we are a laughingstock for another year, and a winning program offers our true freshman o-linemen a better NIL deal, things could get ugly. 

Not as concerned about the 2022 guys because in this scenario they would be the ones getting the bulk of the playing time despite their youthful errors. 

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, if we can hold onto this class of recruits. This season just might have something to do with that.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Notes from this:

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

No way! A site with a forum called, "I'd Pee in Her Butt" isn't a bastion of intellectual discourse?

Funny thing. That forum began with the title, "I'd Pee in Her but....." It was meant to discuss why one would not pee in a particular posterior. Due to the fact everyone on Surly is willing to pee in any butt, anytime, anywhere (see Holly Rowe thread) said forum never recieved posts and never developed. Therefore, the title was changed to "I'd pee in Her Butt" and became the bastion of erectional discourse we know and love today.the-more-you-know.gif.0322e8efbc30bf07edb489c1fcc027c0.gif

Screen-Shot-2012-10-18-at-4_59.42-PM-3725591636.png.570d29613dd32e4bb45ff75ee2ae8168.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Funny thing. That forum began with the title, "I'd Pee in Her but....." It was meant to discuss why one would not pee in a particular posterior. Due to the fact everyone on Surly is willing to pee in any butt, anytime, anywhere (see Holly Rowe thread) said forum never recieved posts and never developed. Therefore, the title was changed to "I'd pee in Her Butt" and became the bastion of erectional discourse we know and love today.

Username  ✔

• Haha 1