2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Does that sound familiar? It’s exactly as stupid as what you continue to pound into a keyboard. Turnarounds don’t take decades. They shouldn’t take 5 years at Texas.

I certainly struggle to see this team as anything better than 7-5. That considered, I’m not real sure why that is supposed to ensure improvement to higher levels in the future. I guess we’ll see. I do know this - if Seven Loss Steve is dumb enough to name Hudson Card the starter heading into this season, there really isn’t enough sunshine available for what you’d have to pump to be selling all of us on the rosy future. 

Oh, I'm making no guarantees, promises or even expectations that we'll get better. All I'm guaranteeing is that a sudden injection of talent at the OL and QB position isn't going to be enough to get us winning more than 7 games THIS year. Next year? Maybe, maybe not.

I do like the coaching staff we've assembled, if only because it looks so much better than the ones Strong and Herman barfed into the payroll. But that's like saying that South Austin's Mom is prettier than the Crypt Keeper; it doesn't really say much.

And I'm 100% in agreement with you on Card, and have been since the Arkansas game. Maybe even before? I don't remember. What I saw from him last year isn't fixable. Not in a year, not in five years. He doesn't have what it takes to play at this level.

Whittington and Milton are likely going to share the duties of replacing Neyor. Hall could be added to that list as well, whenever he returns. Red and Thompson are likely playing mostly out of the slot.

Worthy, Whittington, and Milton are still light years better than Worthy, Washington, and Moore.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah, if we can hold onto this class of recruits. This season just might have something to do with that.

This is oversold. We just had one of our best ever recruiting years after going 5-7. And it wasn't a pretty 5-7, either. It wasn't a "wow, this team looks like it's on the up-and-up" 5-7. It was shitty, unwatchable, garbage. The biggest events of the season were Bo going apeshit on a team that clearly didn't care and our Special Teams' coach's stripper girlfriend's monkey biting a kid. It was more Jerry Springer than sport.

And yet we recruited like crazy, because

1. The one barrier to Texas establishing recruiting dominance in CFB was removed, and

2. Some enterprising motherfuckers busted their asses and made point #1 happen, properly, legally, and with long term dominance in mind.

The trend I'm seeing isn't Callahan, @closetojumping. It's you, Bobby, Sydney, RG3, etc putting shit together so that we have a nice minimum 1980s Nebraska style pipeline in place of talent, so that guys who know their jobs and care (like Bo) have great material to work with, and even the monkey-biting sideshow fuckers can win a few games.

But we're in fucking year one of this shit and OL doesn't stop sucking in year one. The fact that Banks is our best option at LT is not a statement of how amazing he is as much as it is how bad the problems are on our OL.

and I've already gone off on Card many times, let's not even get into QB

• Hook 'Em 5

As much as these injuries suck.. staff can now zero in on who will step up over the next few weeks before the opening game.  Hall needs to get his shit together and understand that this is most likely his last spot where he can have the spotlight in an offense that will have scouts eyeballs all season.

Someone mentioned it would be nice to hit a HR on a 3 star recruit.. maybe that could be Cain.. he has the size.

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

As much as these injuries suck.. staff can now zero in on who will step up over the next few weeks before the opening game.  Hall needs to get his shit together and understand that this is most likely his last spot where he can have the spotlight in an offense that will have scouts eyeballs all season.

Someone mentioned it would be nice to hit a HR on a 3 star recruit.. maybe that could be Cain.. he has the size.

I doubt Hall knows more than 5 plays from the playbook.  Inconsistent hands, poor attitude, and thought he was entitled to a starting position.  I’d rather this staff out their energy into Red and Thompson. 

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

My guess is he ends up being more involved than the last page or 2 would suggest. 

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

3 Star... Savion Red

https://247sports.com/Player/Savion-Red-46056736/

600x0.jpg

“He’s like a Deebo Samuel - a bigger guy who runs with the ball like a running back," Jordan Whittington said.

'Like Deebo': Longhorns WR Jordan Whittington Raves about Freshman Savion Red

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/like-deebo-longhorns-wr-jordan-whittington-raves-about-freshman-savion-red/ar-AA10uC1n

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

True freshman who's never played a down = Deebo lol

This ain't OL or QB where you need a year or two to develop into something worth bragging about, though. You can generally tell in practice if a WR can run the right route, make separation from the DB, and catch the ball.

Either that or we completely suck at DB.

29 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Whittington and Milton are likely going to share the duties of replacing Neyor. Hall could be added to that list as well, whenever he returns. Red and Thompson are likely playing mostly out of the slot.

Worthy, Whittington, and Milton are still light years better than Worthy, Washington, and Moore.

Our overall WR is in much better shape than last year, but Hall is the only one with the physical tools to replace Neyor as a deep threat outside who can get off the press at the line of scrimmage. However his hands are dubious, and his attitude and commitment are even worse. Omeire has the size and hands, but is not a deep threat. Whittington, Milton, and Thompson are all slot guys. 

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I remember hearing the same fall camp rhetoric about Desean Hales 

Well it’s not rhetoric when it’s a direct quote from a player, idiot.

But yes we shouldn’t count on Red to be our savior.

Edited by Hank_Hill

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Sounds like Roschon is not going to be back for Bama. Definitely a big loss. Someone is going to have to step up alongside Bijan.

not worried about the bama game.  we were never going to win that one.  just hoping Roschon is back by the start of conference play.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

As much as these injuries suck.. staff can now zero in on who will step up over the next few weeks before the opening game. 

As far as I'm concerned, the Week 1 OL is set now that Ang is sadly out. Banks - Connor - Majors - Hutson - Jones. No more tinkering, just let them get the reps and build unit cohesion.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

This is oversold. We just had one of our best ever recruiting years after going 5-7. And it wasn't a pretty 5-7, either. It wasn't a "wow, this team looks like it's on the up-and-up" 5-7. It was shitty, unwatchable, garbage. The biggest events of the season were Bo going apeshit on a team that clearly didn't care and our Special Teams' coach's stripper girlfriend's monkey biting a kid. It was more Jerry Springer than sport.

And yet we recruited like crazy, because

1. The one barrier to Texas establishing recruiting dominance in CFB was removed, and

2. Some enterprising motherfuckers busted their asses and made point #1 happen, properly, legally, and with long term dominance in mind.

The trend I'm seeing isn't Callahan, @closetojumping. It's you, Bobby, Sydney, RG3, etc putting shit together so that we have a nice minimum 1980s Nebraska style pipeline in place of talent, so that guys who know their jobs and care (like Bo) have great material to work with, and even the monkey-biting sideshow fuckers can win a few games.

But we're in fucking year one of this shit and OL doesn't stop sucking in year one. The fact that Banks is our best option at LT is not a statement of how amazing he is as much as it is how bad the problems are on our OL.

and I've already gone off on Card many times, let's not even get into QB

All true but last year we could sell the whole "it's year 1 and we inherited a dumpster fire" thing. The whole "we're on the rise" pitch gets a lot harder if we suck again

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

All true but last year we could sell the whole "it's year 1 and we inherited a dumpster fire" thing. The whole "we're on the rise" pitch gets a lot harder if we suck again

I don't think we'll suck again. I think we'll be thoroughly mediocre, driven by a combination of "OMG we look like title winners" moments followed almost immediately by the kind of incompetent dumbassery that empties the shelves of entire BevMo franchises. Because that's what you get when most of your best talent are freshmen and sophomores.

We'll be better. We just won't be very good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

As far as I'm concerned, the Week 1 OL is set now that Ang is sadly out. Banks - Connor - Majors - Hutson - Jones. No more tinkering, just let them get the reps and build unit cohesion.

That looks like the set up to me. 
Ewers, Worthy, Whittington, Bijan, Sanders, plus one of  ISU WR/Bama TE/Keilan Robinson. 

Quit fucking around with anything other than that as far as drilling with 1v1. Go fuck shut up. 

That’s still pretty sexy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

so knowing what we know right now, how many would take an 8-4 record this year if it was offered to you today?  

I was expecting an 8-4 year before all the injury news. Now? I’ll take that in a heartbeat

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

so knowing what we know right now, how many would take an 8-4 record this year if it was offered to you today?  

Not all 8-4 records are created equal, but yes, on the surface that would certainly be a step in the right direction and signal progress with the majority of our weapons set to return in 2023.