2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Given that I had an attention span of about five seconds, I have always remembered the first line.  I recall thinking "Hmm, that makes sense" and them my mind likely started gravitating to my current level of jock itch, latest crush, or whether liking that Chuck Mangione song would make me gay.

Narrarator: It would…

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I really hope the rumor of Ewers not being willing to study the playbook aren’t true. That being said, throughout his year at Ohio State and his 8 months at Texas he has been perpetually “still learning the system” according to Ryan Day and now Sark. I’m hoping one day he will learn the system… 

Well, the shit is about to hit the fan when we kick off in a couple of weeks...it's SHOWTIME, you just can't "wing" it out there.  He better be prepared, and I'd like to believe Sark has done all he can to ensure one of these two QB's is ready for a life-changing year.

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Neither guy looked awful in the spring game. Both made good throws with a few mistakes sprinkled in. If anything, Ewers was probably slightly better.

Not sure what spring game you watched.

I thought they looked pretty even in the spring game (from the brief snippets LHN actually showed lol). Neither awful, neither amazing.

Also didn't Ewers supposedly ball out in the closed scrimmage before the spring game?

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

i guess if you don't shine after the first scrimmage, you never will?

It depends.

If you are someone that has barely played or never played, it means you still haven't made a mistake in a real game and there is hope in the minds of fans. Scrimmage mistakes are okay for these guys.

If you have made a mistake at any point in your career in an actual game, the book is written on you and you can not improve or overcome that mistake. College football players can not get better. A mistake in a scrimmage means you are the same ol player as the previous year.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I'm mentally prepared for our QB situation to fully suck.  Ewers is supposed to be a generational talent but the dude hasn't played a meaningful down of football in 2 years and it's quite the jump from South Lake to facing Bama in game 2 of your career.  I'm not sure what to think of his time at Ohio State.  It's not like camp reports from the buckeyes were glowing of his talent level and he didn't exactly beat out the back ups either.  I know he walked in enrolling early with no knowledge of the playbook but I was hoping to hear of some substance of his talent and performance from his time there.  I know spring is hard to judge but he seemed to throw a ton of interceptions and has done so through 1 week of fall camp as well.  If Card is playing better, you start him as much as I hate typing that because I've already seen him shit himself in games and show the worst body language and leadership from a QB in a long time.  With that said, scrimmage 2 is where we always see the offense dominate the defense, yada yada yada.  At some point, he's going to have to show he's better than Hudson Card.  If not, a lot of people will be wrong about him and his hype.

He probably didn't get many reps at OSU. He joined the team after summer workouts, so obviously was way behind learning the playbook, leading to him getting whatever reps were left over for the 3rd/4th stringer.

I'm pretty much viewing him as a true freshman. His Sr year at Southlake might've even been better development than the 3 months at OSU.

Some interesting things I heard over the weekend regarding the scrimmage:

Keep in mind that Sarkisian's install phase is multiple weeks, so there is a possibility that Ewers was still seeing a bunch of net new leading into the scrimmage. Also, the defense tees off on the offense traditionally in scrimmage number one because they are running a bunch of base stuff. We should see the offense flip the script on the defense in scrimmage two as they put in new stuff that the defense hasn't seen 50 times already. That being said, even after that point they will pare down the playbook and focus on a set number of plays for game prep, ideally giving QB1 a lot of reps at the same concepts. Giving Ewers reps at a smaller number of plays will likely be enough to get a reasonable first start out of him.  

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Personally I'd prefer if Campbell didn't play center since he's a true freshman playing out of position. 

I get this. I am not sure center would be "out of position". I woudl argue that it is his right position. That said, center usually makes the line calls. HE would be learning a new position, after playing tackle in HS, so asking him to make line calls with potentially a freshman QB behind is rough. 

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’ll say this: if Card is significantly out performing Ewers in practice, we’re fucked. It’s already bad enough with no defense and a shitty OL. Without an upgrade at the QB position, we will have another losing season. 

Could it be that Card always looks good in practice/camp but can’t translate that to real action?  Is it possible Ewers just isn’t a practice warrior and working in a knew offense has him looking pedestrian?  We will see.   Anyone know if Ewers had a tendency to looked better in games than he did practice at SLC?  Well, it’s possible I guess.   

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's honestly absurd how far you guys can go, and how fast, based on virtually no information. 

1) The $9.95ers don't exactly have their fingers on the pulse of what's really happening. There are a few who actually do, and they're not going to push anything specific out there because Sarkisian doesn't want it out there and no one besides dipshits like Chip Brown and Geoff Tuboflard want to burn the staff or the boosters who may or may not be relaying info in real time. 

2) Ewers should barely be on campus at this point. I know we'd all like for him to have covered himself in glory already, but that has rarely ever been asked of what amounts to a true freshman. Sarkisian's offense isn't exactly basic, so some of this shit takes time.

3) Whoever is relaying that the guy isn't studying the playbook is full of shit. No one involved with the program is saying the guy is having maturity issues. He is young though. 

4) While I know texasstrong12 doesn't think Card is a Show Team Hero, plenty of other people think he is. He looks great in the locker room and he can memorize plays like a motherfucker. The only problem for him is when he vaguely hears footsteps, he loses his shit. He knows he isn't get hit in drills. None of this is a secret to anyone. There is a reason you're not seeing numerous on or off the record quotes from players ardently supporting the notion of Card being named the starter. 

where has @texasstrong12 been?? 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Unless I'm reading things incorrectly, he's all over this thread under the handle @Hookem2147. If not, my bad, 2147 is the guy trying to dismiss the notion of Card being a STH.

Ha, I've been wondering where TexasStrong has been too. He came back on twitter for a brief time then disappeared again. I wish I had his knowledge of Texas women's soccer and tennis and whatever other olympic sports he follows.

And I could give a rats ass who the starting QB is, I just want to win football games. Like you said, Ewers should have been at his prom 3 months ago. I want him to win the job just as bad as everyone else but I also think rushing him into action when he's not ready is not a good idea.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ha, I've been wondering where TexasStrong has been too. He came back on twitter for a brief time then disappeared again. I wish I had his knowledge of Texas women's soccer and tennis and whatever other olympic sports he follows.

And I could give a rats ass who the starting QB is, I just want to win football games. Like you said, Ewers should have been at his prom 3 months ago. I want him to win the job just as bad as everyone else but I also think rushing him into action when he's not ready is not a good idea.

He turned 19 in March. If he was supposed to be at his Prom 3 months ago, it would be because he got held back, or failed a year of school. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

He turned 19 in March. If he was supposed to be at his Prom 3 months ago, it would be because he got held back, or failed a year of school. 

?

He reclassified into the 2021 class late. He's always been old for his age but he was supposed to have just graduated from Southlake Carroll this past year.

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Nevermind I thought y'all were talking about TexasStrong12 not Quinn.. reading is hard for me sometimes

Edited by Thiefery
misread

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

So he probably got held back in pre-K, that doesn't really change the point. He's had the same football experience as a true freshman.

I only care what Ewers does each day from now. Don’t care what he did yesterday or in the Spring game. Same for Card. Like most, I just want to win games. I only care about the present and future. I’d expect Card to be more comfortable etc…simply because he has been in the system for a year. I do expect Ewers to beat him at out some point. The idea that Card would play over Ewers simply because of preference is ludicrous to me. You play the best option. I’d expect Card to be prepared and ready to play whether he’s the backup or not because we will likely be using him this year. I expect given all of the hype around Ewers that his natural abilities will shine through and he will outright be the starter. If that doesn’t happen this year I can only look at Ewers. That’s my take. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I think our rug is worse than Missouri’s. Put some fuck ass grass down. I’ll maintain it myself with love. I’ll sing to it & water it with spring water. 

Do you fuck it in the ass or does it fuck you in the ass? 

• Haha 1