2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Happens to a lot of spring/summer babies, especially boys. I repeated 1st grade for that reason. It was so fucking easy the 2nd time around.

I have a summer bday and did 3rd grade twice, but not for academic reasons. Not gonna lie it was quite the confidence boost going from youngest in my class to the oldest. The power dynamic shift was palpable 

• Like 1

Just now, Fug said:

Remember the rumors that Ewers was pushing CJ stroud? Lol

Stroud & JSN are going 1 & 2 in the heisman race this year. They are literally unstoppable in that offense, Ewers never had a shot. With sidenote: with Young a lock to get invited cause Bama, it sucks that Bijan never got to even go to the heisman ceremony in his time here. 

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Stroud & JSN are going 1 & 2 in the heisman race this year. They are literally unstoppable in that offense, Ewers never had a shot. With sidenote: with Young a lock to get invited cause Bama, it sucks that Bijan never got to even go to the heisman ceremony in his time here. 

JSN won’t go ahead of Bijan if Bijan has 2K and we win 9 games.  Not sure which will be harder, the 2K or 9 games. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

JSN won’t go ahead of Bijan if Bijan has 2K and we win 9 games.  Not sure which will be harder, the 2K or 9 games. 

I think if he puts up over 2k yards of total offense and some big time highlights he could maybe supplant JSN (say 1700 rushing 300 receiving). But yeah it’ll be a tall task.

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think if he puts up over 2k yards of total offense and some big time highlights he could maybe supplant JSN (say 1700 rushing 300 receiving). But yeah it’ll be a tall task.

Still need to win enough games.

Ricky had 1900 rushing yards as a junior and won the Doak Walker, but finished 6th in the Heisman voting behind some random Penn State RB who had just 1363 rushing yards, because Penn State went 9-3 while we went 4-7.

edit: read the ballot wrong, looks like he finished in 5th.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Bijan could go if 4 or 5 get invited. But yeah no one is unseating those 2. I don’t even get how that’s a controversial statement. Judging by last year, they’ll put up stupid stats this year.

Well, for one, players from the same team are prone to split votes. Beyond that, JSN isn't the only receiver on the team. Beyond beyond that, Henderson will get votes if the offense is as insane as you seem to think it is going to be. He'll draw votes from both of the other guys. Also also also, the games still have to be played. 

The bottom line is that a single offensive star for a team is far more likely to win a Heisman than a player who is one of several stars on an offense. While Gibbs will no doubt have a good year, if WRs emerge for Bama, then Young will be the singular force people point to for why Bama's offense is amazeballs. If Texas has a strong season and Bijan Robinson rushes for 1500 yards, catches for 500, and scores 20+ TDs, he's going to be the only Texas player getting votes and he will be in NYC. 

You being declarative doesn't serve to convince anyone else here. Maybe you realize that and the conflict is more important to you, I don't know. But of course acting as though an outcome, involving infinite variables, is fait accompli is going to draw reactions. It doesn't help that you have a history of being exactly wrong on almost everything you predict. I now expect to hear that either JSN or Stroud has gone down to season-ending injury by the end of the weekend. Perhaps they both wind up being done by running into each other or via a love triangle murder-suicide or something. Whatever the case, thank you for casting that pall upon the OSU 2022 season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

Fwiw, I’m predicting 5000 passing yards from Stroud and at least 1800 receiving yards from JSN. That isn’t at all outlandish when you look at what they put up last year (when they didn’t even have the conference title game stat bonus). No more Wilson to split catches with either. Numbers like that will get them both to the ceremony easily. 

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Fwiw, I’m predicting 5000 passing yards from Stroud and at least 1800 receiving yards from JSN. That isn’t at all outlandish when you look at what they put up last year (when they didn’t even have the conference title game stat bonus). No more Wilson to split catches with either. Numbers like that will get them both to the ceremony easily. 

Whew boy. 

Ohio State opens against a Notre Dame team that lacks a proven QB and has all kinds of WR problems. They have a defensive minded coach, a standout TE, a good OL and a good backfield. That dude is going to do everything he can to take the air out of the ball in the shoe and walk out with a cover. He cannot suffer a blowout in game one of his tenure. 

OSU trades Minn/Nebraska/Purdue, 19th/15th/26th in DFEI, for Wiscy/Iowa/Northwestern, all defensive-oriented teams normally. Wiscy/Iowa were 3rd/5th in DFEI. Northwestern had a terrible year and finished 103rd, but a bounce back can be expected. Every team OSU plays this year is going to attempt to shorten the game. 

They trade Akron, with the worst FEI in the entirety of FBS, for Arkansas State who finished 122 but was more than marginally better than Akron. Tulsa/Toledo is a wash. 

The bowl game stats don't count. Voters won't be voting on a future projection. Stroud threw for almost 600 yards in that game. So he had 3800-ish yards when they voted. You're assuming a 1200+ yard jump while losing his two primary weapons. Right.

The premise that Stroud is throwing for an average of between 384 and 417 ypg against that schedule is hard to buy, much less as a given. For JSN to handle a workload of 1800 yards in the season, he's going to need an infusion of Adamantium in his skeletal structure, but maybe he interned for the Weapon X program this offseason, I don't know.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Helobious said:

29 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You forgot to log in with your other account @WhatTheBuck

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Whew boy. 

Ohio State opens against a Notre Dame team that lacks a proven QB and has all kinds of WR problems. They have a defensive minded coach, a standout TE, a good OL and a good backfield. That dude is going to do everything he can to take the air out of the ball in the shoe and walk out with a cover. He cannot suffer a blowout in game one of his tenure. 

OSU trades Minn/Nebraska/Purdue, 19th/15th/26th in DFEI, for Wiscy/Iowa/Northwestern, all defensive-oriented teams normally. Wiscy/Iowa were 3rd/5th in DFEI. Northwestern had a terrible year and finished 103rd, but a bounce back can be expected. Every team OSU plays this year is going to attempt to shorten the game. 

They trade Akron, with the worst FEI in the entirety of FBS, for Arkansas State who finished 122 but was more than marginally better than Akron. Tulsa/Toledo is a wash. 

The bowl game stats don't count. Voters won't be voting on a future projection. Stroud threw for almost 600 yards in that game. So he had 3800-ish yards when they voted. You're assuming a 1200+ yard jump while losing his two primary weapons. Right.

The premise that Stroud is throwing for an average of between 384 and 417 ypg against that schedule is hard to buy, much less as a given. For JSN to handle a workload of 1800 yards in the season, he's going to need an infusion of Adamantium in his skeletal structure, but maybe he interned for the Weapon X program this offseason, I don't know.

So I have tOSU going 11-1, winning the big 10 and losing in the title game to Bama. But you did get me on the stats, I was talking 15 games worth but the voters will only be voting on 13 games, didn’t think about that. I still think it’s Stroud’s to lose and Bijan will just be lucky to get an invite.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Anyone who has ever read Outliers or various studies on birth month being a critical element of determining outcomes and choices for children (and their parents) knows that you redshirt kids before kindergarten if you can afford to do so. 

That book did more harm than good. Would recommend “sports gene”. Not saying this doesn’t help at sports that require skill and a position like QB, but football is mostly genetic. You run fast or you are ridiculously large human. 10,000 hours isn’t going to change that 

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

So I have tOSU going 11-1, winning the big 10 and losing in the title game to Texas. But you did get me on the stats, I was talking 15 games worth but the voters will only be voting on 13 games, didn’t think about that. I still think it’s Stroud’s to lose and Bijan will just be lucky to get an invite.

Fify

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That book did more harm than good. Would recommend “sports gene”. Not saying this doesn’t help at sports that require skill and a position like QB, but football is mostly genetic. You run fast or you are ridiculously large human. 10,000 hours isn’t going to change that 

My comment wasn't football-oriented, and the logic for redshirting children born after December in the American academic and athletic infrastructure is sound and proven, so take the common contrarian trope for the overeducated that "Gladwell is just a storyteller" somewhere in which it will sell. I mentioned nothing of 10,000 hours and it's a non sequitur to the discussion.

In any event, redshirting works in football too, and claiming otherwise, when we're typing about a fucking term that was literally invented by the sport for, wait for it, this exact concept, is a truly breathtaking maneuver. 

When you take a reductive position like "meh, football is mostly genetic" on a board of at least ostensibly educated individuals who share the same infatuation for the subject matter that you do, you have to know ahead of time that you're subjecting yourself to mockery and laughter, right? Especially when we consider levels below the collegiate ranks, where age and puberty play extremely important roles irrespective of genetic make-up.

There's so much pseudointellectual nonsense packed into your 3 sentence post that I feel like you should at least be commended for the fucking feat. I mean, that shit is mindblowing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It’s a shame we don’t have one more year before getting this schedule, honestly. 

Truth. 

On the other hand, when you're good enough, it don't make a shit who you play. See also, 2008, where we had an insane schedule... and we were one play away from running the table despite two true freshman safeties, Chris Hall as a starting  OL, and Greg Davis calling plays.

I miss the insane depth at interior DL we had those days.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Well, for one, players from the same team are prone to split votes. Beyond that, JSN isn't the only receiver on the team. Beyond beyond that, Henderson will get votes if the offense is as insane as you seem to think it is going to be. He'll draw votes from both of the other guys. Also also also, the games still have to be played. 

The bottom line is that a single offensive star for a team is far more likely to win a Heisman than a player who is one of several stars on an offense. While Gibbs will no doubt have a good year, if WRs emerge for Bama, then Young will be the singular force people point to for why Bama's offense is amazeballs. If Texas has a strong season and Bijan Robinson rushes for 1500 yards, catches for 500, and scores 20+ TDs, he's going to be the only Texas player getting votes and he will be in NYC. 

You being declarative doesn't serve to convince anyone else here. Maybe you realize that and the conflict is more important to you, I don't know. But of course acting as though an outcome, involving infinite variables, is fait accompli is going to draw reactions. It doesn't help that you have a history of being exactly wrong on almost everything you predict. I now expect to hear that either JSN or Stroud has gone down to season-ending injury by the end of the weekend. Perhaps they both wind up being done by running into each other or via a love triangle murder-suicide or something. Whatever the case, thank you for casting that pall upon the OSU 2022 season.

do you not realize who you are responding to...?

You should just look and see, "oh, it's Helobious," and move on.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My comment wasn't football-oriented, and the logic for redshirting children born after December in the American academic and athletic infrastructure is sound and proven, so take the common contrarian trope for the overeducated that "Gladwell is just a storyteller" somewhere in which it will sell. I mentioned nothing of 10,000 hours and it's a non sequitur to the discussion.

In any event, redshirting works in football too, and claiming otherwise, when we're typing about a fucking term that was literally invented by the sport for, wait for it, this exact concept, is a truly breathtaking maneuver. 

When you take a reductive position like "meh, football is mostly genetic" on a board of at least ostensibly educated individuals who share the same infatuation for the subject matter that you do, you have to know ahead of time that you're subjecting yourself to mockery and laughter, right? Especially when we consider levels below the collegiate ranks, where age and puberty play extremely important roles irrespective of genetic make-up.

There's so much pseudointellectual nonsense packed into your 3 sentence post that I feel like you should at least be commended for the fucking feat. I mean, that shit is mindblowing. 

This is a football board. The would lead one to assume you are mentioning it as it applies to the topic. I didn’t know you were just randomly mentioning books, my apologies. 10,000 hours is a major part of the book.  I didn’t say you mentioned it. but anyone that read the book is quite aware 10,000 hours is major theme in the it. Fact it doesn’t fit your argument, doesn’t make it an on sequitur. Applying redshirting simply to age is an interesting leap to say the least. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

2 schools threw for 5k yards last year. There have been 3 QBs to throw for 5k yards since 2016 from major conferences, Mahommes, Burrow, and Anthony Gordon (WSU, under the Pirate). Maybe it happens, but it is highly unlikely. OSU is going to be good this year. Stroud will be watching some second halves of OSU games from the bench 

Just now, Codaxx said:

2 schools threw for 5k yards last year. There have been 3 QBs to throw for 5k yards since 2016 from major conferences, Mahommes, Burrow, and Anthony Gordon (WSU, under the Pirate). Maybe it happens, but it is highly unlikely. OSU is going to be good this year. Stroud will be watching some second halves of OSU games from the bench 

16 total times since 2000.  8 of those were Case Kennum or Leach QB's.  6 were other G5's.  Then Burrow and Mahomes.