2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

4 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

16 total times since 2000.  8 of those were Case Kennum or Leach QB's.  6 were other G5's.  Then Burrow and Mahomes.  

I didn’t go that far back. Definitely see it being more prevalent at the peak of the Air Raid. I wouldn’t be surprised if Burrow was the only one from a top 10 team, maybe an OU Qb. 

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

2 schools threw for 5k yards last year. There have been 3 QBs to throw for 5k yards since 2016 from major conferences, Mahommes, Burrow, and Anthony Gordon (WSU, under the Pirate). Maybe it happens, but it is highly unlikely. OSU is going to be good this year. Stroud will be watching some second halves of OSU games from the bench 

They also have a great running back that they will feed.  

moot point as I. Predicting Bryce Young will throw for 7,000 yards and Gibbs will rush for 2,500

Edited by closetohumping

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

They also have a great running back that they will feed.  

Should add 3 WRs had 1800 yards since 2016 (Davonte Smith, Sterns WKU, and Trent Taylor La Tech). That Bama team had ridiculous WR talent, that made it impossible to double him. 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Our press conference backdrop looks bad.

Did you want to offer an alternative to what is there or just point out your thoughts, like a child that enters a room? 😁

Steve looks like he hasn’t slept in a couple days, which is exactly how I want my coach to look, irritated and not putting up with your shit. 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Sark's full comments on Agiye are actually pretty good. Cliff notes - it wasn't just the one event and they're helping him with a plan to get his head on straight.

I interpreted it as, the dude needs some mental health support / counseling and they're working with him to get it, then will bring him back when he's in a better place. 

(starts around 2:20 of the video)

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 5

40 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Holy shit. 4 fumbles and 3 picks. No wonder Wells said Sark was pissed 

What can be taken from Sark’s presser:

Glass completely full: veterans are doing what they can and providing great leadership. We ran 100 plays the other day and gassers after the scrimmage in 100 degree heat. We are able to play a full game in the desert. QBs just focusing on their own progress and not worried about what the other one is doing. Our veterans are comfortable and they take over when things go to shit.

So glass half full: the defense capitalized on those 7 turnovers. Cool. A lot of the young guys run wrong routes or whatever but that’s part of the learning curve. They are highly competitive and spirited.

Glass half empty: Sark’s concern was when and where those INTs were thrown and said it was up to the coaching staff to beat it( I mean coach that) that out of the QBs. One of the fumbles was also a poor handoff from QB to RB…so 4 turnovers by the QBs basically but we don’t know if they were evenly split. 

Glass completely empty: All I know is we have 7 turnovers in any game we are fucked. Even against Lafayette. We have 7 against Bama and the score might be one for the record books and lately here Texas loves to break those records. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Goddammit, which one of you motherfuckers ran over God’s dog?

Seriously though, people need to get this “generational” bullshit out of their fucking heads. It is used too much and the way it is used should really only apply when assessing a player in retrospect (ask yourself—was brady generational when he was splitting snaps with Henson? Was Rodgers generational when he was playing at a juco? Three-star mahomes?). It is a descriptor utilized generally when talking about physical talent and much more applicable in sports where one-on-one ability is taken into account. That is the antithesis of what the qb position entails. Basketball? Absolutely. Baseball? Sure. Tennis/Golf? Yep. I can see a RB (Peterson) or WR (Moss, Calvin Johnson) getting that tag. I can see a freak athlete on defense getting it (LT, Deion).

In my opinion, the only arguable generational qb (ie. dominated his peers in hs, walked into a college program and did not miss a beat, becoming one of the best at his position early in his college career) I can think of is Lawrence. I’d put Vick and VY in that category, but that had more to do with their ability in space or when the play broke down. So, can Quinn deliver the football in ways most of his peers cannot? I think that’s fair, but that is only half of the fucking equation at best.

Btw, most “generational” player in football right now? Justin Tucker.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Seriously though, people need to get this “generational” bullshit out of their fucking heads. It is used too much and the way it is used should really only apply when assessing a player in retrospect (ask yourself—was brady generational when he was splitting snaps with Henson? Was Rodgers generational when he was playing at a juco? Three-star mahomes?). It is a descriptor utilized generally when talking about physical talent and much more applicable in sports where one-on-one ability is taken into account. That is the antithesis of what the qb position entails. Basketball? Absolutely. Baseball? Sure. Tennis/Golf? Yep. I can see a RB (Peterson) or WR (Moss, Calvin Johnson) getting that tag. I can see a freak athlete on defense getting it (LT, Deion).

In my opinion, the only arguable generational qb (ie. dominated his peers in hs, walked into a college program and did not miss a beat, becoming one of the best at his position early in his college career) I can think of is Lawrence. I’d put Vick and VY in that category, but that had more to do with their ability in space or when the play broke down. So, can Quinn deliver the football in ways most of his peers cannot? I think that’s fair, but that is only half of the fucking equation at best.

You brought up Peterson.  Was he a game 1 starter?

13 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Let's not go into debate in here on the meaning of the "generational" tag and when its use is merited. If there was an appropriate time/place (debatable), it was months ago when it was in every $9.95'er writeup about Ewers. Please start a dedicated thread or kindly STFU and let us bask in the aura of our pets' heads falling off. 

Of course not. He was splitting time..on a team that played in the national championship the year before. What does starter at rb even mean? He was being talked about as one of the few players who would be a candidate to go direct from hs to pro if Clarett’s lawsuit was successful. I’m pretty sure he still went for over 100 in that first lollipop game, then he went for 200 against ut, and finished the season second in heisman voting as a true fucking freshman. 

But no, he wasn’t a day one starter, but he became the starter and played a lot, which, if you believe some of the stories, is why Mack didn’t land him.

Just now, derpyhorndog said:

Let's not go into debate in here on the meaning of the "generational" tag and when its use is merited. If there was an appropriate time/place (debatable), it was months ago when it was in every $9.95'er writeup about Ewers. Please start a dedicated thread or kindly STFU and let us bask in the aura of our pets' heads falling off. 

Will do. I hate the term.

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Two nuggets from Nahlin & Bobby Chat today

• Hayden at OG has been making calls for OL when Angilau was at center
  • Campbell is left-handed, so not a center option 

Edit:  Props to @The Beast for posting left handed news on Campbell earlier...

these nuggets weren't chicken nuggets....

Looking Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

• Haha 1

SIAP

Scipio Tex: Replacing Isaiah Neyor

Losing Isaiah Neyor for the season is a significant loss, not only for what he meant as a pure talent, but for how he uniquely complemented Xavier Worthy and allowed the Longhorns to put major pressure on defenses from both 11, 12 and 21 personnel. His presence freed other skill players by forcing the defense to make choices and in so doing he simplified the game for the QB. Texas also loses the value add of a plus blocker on the perimeter.

With Neyor, Texas had the ability to be both simple and dangerous, scheming easy shots over the top. Without him, Texas must be more creative. There is no 1:1 replacement for him on the Longhorn roster. I've read the discussion about replacing him and there's a big difference between what a player can do with Neyor and Worthy on the field commanding coverage as opposed to that player replacing Neyor. Neyor was also an insurance policy for Jordan Whittington and his own injury history.

Steve Sarkisian's job is to replace him in the aggregate by finding different approaches using less complete personnel. It's not quite replacing Jason Giambi in the aggregate as Billy Beane was tasked with by the A's in Moneyball because football ain't baseball, but that's the general idea. How can Sark move the chains differently? First, Agiye Hall. Agiye Hall has proven unreliable on and off the field. He's continuing behaviors that got him booted from Tuscaloosa and re-booted in Austin. You can argue the theory of Agiye Hall all you like, but this season won't be played on an X Box. Sark would jeopardize his locker room credibility with an opportunistic reversal of discipline.

Brenen Thompson has been cited as a potential replacement because he can fly. A physically immature 160 pound freshman playing traditional X every down would spend quite a bit of time being driven into the water cooler by physically mature corners. I understand the "But Xavier Worthy!" rebuttal but Worthy was the most productive freshman receiver in Longhorn history, is wiry strong and slippery as hell and generally terrifying to press because one mistake could mean a touchdown.

In a similar vein, Casey Cain is much less developed and has no track record of production in comparison to Neyor. Yes, they are both tall with long arms. Troy Omeire was once Isaiah Neyor with the same preseason accolades and we are still waiting for his recovery. A restored Omeire would be a replacement for Neyor, but we don't know whether he'll be that in September.

Tarique Milton has his own injury history and he's not a natural X, but his experience and savvy makes him employable in multiple roles. Slot Savion Red is turning heads, but I think the part that's left out from those accolades is....for a freshman.

Now, the good news. Steve Sarkisian hasn't always relied on conventional typing at the various receiver spots to fashion his passing game. Whether employing big wide receivers at USC or little guys at Bama. His high flying Alabama offenses didn't feature a 6-3, 220 pound X receiver and as they depleted to injuries, Sark had to use movement, deception and creativity to create breathing room for DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle and John Metchie. Technically, the splintery Smith was his X.

Of course, Smith, Waddle and Metchie were all 1st and 2nd round NFL talents. Having a bunch of awesome players obviates the need for traditional roles. There's only one Longhorn receiver on their level: Worthy. And Sark had a quick-thinking, experienced, accurate 1st round draft pick QB pulling the trigger. However, the realistic ambitions for Texas aren't winning the national title or crushing the 2020 Georgia and Notre Dame defenses. Texas is trying to win 6 or 7 games in Big 12 conference play in a league with a lot of average to above average teams. Every team in the league has significant flaws.

If the injury had to happen, better now than in September. Texas has some time to rethink their offensive approach. Sark needs a guy or two to step up - which can and has happened in the past no matter our current perceptions - and then he needs to consider how his offense will change with more involvement from Sanders and Robinson as pass catchers, possibly more RPOs, a little more stubbornness running the ball and being willing to create space for dinks and dunks and after-the-catch chain moving by a receiving corps that lacks a traditional 6'3" or 6'4" field stretcher.

The ceiling of the Texas offense has been eroded, but let's not concede the floor just yet. To that end, Neyor's loss will have implications not only at wide receiver, but base offensive formations, the starting QB, even OL.

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, SamMan said:

75dab230f371ecb3c51055d8b1cc7f61.jpg.100b7645369315c73fc5739d997341d3.jpg

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Of course not. He was splitting time..on a team that played in the national championship the year before. What does starter at rb even mean? He was being talked about as one of the few players who would be a candidate to go direct from hs to pro if Clarett’s lawsuit was successful. I’m pretty sure he still went for over 100 in that first lollipop game, then he went for 200 against ut, and finished the season second in heisman voting as a true fucking freshman. 

But no, he wasn’t a day one starter, but he became the starter and played a lot, which, if you believe some of the stories, is why Mack didn’t land him.

Will do. I hate the term.

Point being it ain’t the end of the world if Ewers doesn’t start nor if some of our five star ol starts on third string the first week

20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Of course, Smith, Waddle and Metchie were all 1st and 2nd round NFL talents. Having a bunch of awesome players obviates the need for traditional roles. There's only one Longhorn receiver on their level: Worthy.

This is true but I don't think Whittington is far behind that level when healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Sark's full comments on Agiye are actually pretty good. Cliff notes - it wasn't just the one event and they're helping him with a plan to get his head on straight.

I interpreted it as, the dude needs some mental health support / counseling and they're working with him to get it, then will bring him back when he's in a better place. 

(starts around 2:20 of the video)

Yeah lots of baggage in Agiye's past -- hope folks including Coach Marion can help this guy get his life together.  

54 minutes ago, SamMan said:

In my opinion, the only arguable generational qb (ie. dominated his peers in hs, walked into a college program and did not miss a beat, becoming one of the best at his position early in his college career) I can think of is Lawrence. .

I know we have lower standards at Stanford, but A. Luck was a generational fucking player.  Especially since Stanford only matters about once every four generations.

6K9e.gif

Obviously the news is awful and can't be spun any other way...but us running the 12 personnel package might be the best case, even with everyone healthy, and this might further encourage that, even without Roshon.    Get the defense spread out wider to the edge and let Bijan have all the gaps belong to him. 

Again..in no way suggesting this is 'good news'...but there is that and going into the 12 personnel package would've definitley sidelined one of our wideouts.   

Was hoping it wouldn't be this one, but still.

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah lots of baggage in Agiye's past -- hope folks including Coach Marion can help this guy get his life together.  

Is it true that he played for four different hs teams in four years? If so, it seems like 12 months might be about as long as people are willing to expend the energy trying to get him on track with little progress. With all due respect, after five years, he might need to help himself.

10 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Is it true that he played for four different hs teams in four years? If so, it seems like 12 months might be about as long as people are willing to expend the energy trying to get him on track with little progress. With all due respect, after five years, he might need to help himself.

At least the coaches have noticed Surly complaining about the lack of Longhorn shit on his social media and corrected it. 

"What starts here should never leave here."