2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It is amazing how the same people believe every bit of bad news from the insiders, but the 1st sign of good news from the same people and it's all bullshit. Neyor is a big loss, no doubt about it, but we have no idea what Cain is capable of doing or not doing on the football field. I do know that no one on this fucking board knew a damn thing about Neyor prior to him entering the portal and Texas being attached.

Except Cain was on our roster last season when we desperately looking for some WR production outside of Worthy and he didn’t even get on the field. Sure, freshman can get better but claiming he’s a 1:1 replacement for Neyor right now is dumb as hell. 

Also, what posters knew about Neyor prior to the portal isn’t really relevant to anything. He averaged 20 yards a catch and had 12 tds playing D1 collage football whether we were watching Wyoming football or not. Cain has never made a catch in a game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

He's been pretty reliable. Was on top of the QB competition last year and was the first to say that Casey Thumbson had cleaned out his locker for the final time and hit the portal.

Speaking of which, he just said this:

image.png.a8187f7d00505126ba19e121c910f7f0.png

Well looks like IT is already contradicting him on Banks...

I dont know what its called today, but it reminds me of what we ran against Penn “Pedo” State.  We moved Gene Gene The Coke Machine To a TE position, and we only had Fullbacks.  We ran the Power I, and handed the ball to one of our big Fullbacks every play.  The Pedos could not stop it.  We called it Smash Mouth!

i would love to see what we could do when we wanted power today with Bijan and our TEs and QE on trigger.  Put Brooks and Blue in front of Bijan and run power, then flash play action passes to our TEs when they load up to stop the run.  

It could beat Bama, and I want to beat Bama like we did in that Cotton Bowl game years ago!🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Mikey4 said:

Card did a lot of running last year, he just isn't very good at it.

I saw him run sideways but never downhill. He’s at least as fast as Sam if he’d run in the right direction (but I realize Sark coaches his QBs to only run as a last resort). 

• Hook 'Em 2

The 'healthy' Texas quarterback competition carries on

Joe Cook•41 minutes

Article written by:Joe Cook

josephcook89

(Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian was asked point blank on Monday night if either Quinn Ewers or Hudson Card had done enough to earn the starting quarterback role. His response? “Not yet, no.”

[Get a 50% off an Inside Texas Plus subscription!]

After only one scrimmage, it may be disappointing but not terribly surprising to the coach who has said multiple times he wants to decide on a starter earlier than he did last season. Plus, that scrimmage included three interceptions, albeit across 100-plus plays. If there’s no starter, is there a leader? Sarkisian wouldn’t go that far.

“I would say it’s tight,” Sarkisian said. “I would say both guys are working very hard. They’ve both got great attitudes. I’ve actually talked to both of them separately about their mindset, the room, how they’re working with one another yet competing with one another. I think they both are operating and doing it at a high level.”

That’s a common theme among recent Texas quarterback battles. Card and Casey Thompson publicly spoke about their good rapport during last year’s competition. When Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele fought to be QB1 under former head coach Tom Herman, they often spoke about their ability to remain friends even amid stiff competition.

According to Sarkisian, Card and Ewers are continuing that trend. He perceives each player is trying to primarily better themselves as opposed bettering their cohort in the quarterback room.

“I think both of them recognize ‘man, there’s room for me to improve,’ and if I’m the other guy, he’s thinking ‘man, there’s room for me to improve,’” Sarkisian said. “That’s what I love. They’re not worried about what the other guy is doing. Their focus is on what they’re doing now and what they can do moving forward. That’s what’s making it really healthy.”

Though the competition is healthy, Sarkisian is looking for his offense to convert more opportunities. Quarterback wasn’t the only offensive position to draw some small measure of ire from Saturday’s scrimmage, where Sarkisian said there were several missed opportunities. From that, Sarkisian looked at those misses with a glass half-full disposition.

“I think offensively, they’re probably looking at it like ‘ahh, we missed some ops,’” Sarkisian said about the offense. “That’s good. I want them to feel that way, not walking out of there thinking ‘man, we didn’t do anything.’ They created enough explosive plays but there were more there that I think they’re champing at the bit to get back out there and go attack again.”

Quarterback plays a significant role in converting some of those missed “ops,” especially in Sarkisian’s offense. With the Texas quarterback competition “tight,” the upper hand could go to whoever begins converting those opportunities on a more consistent basis.

30 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Except Cain was on our roster last season when we desperately looking for some WR production outside of Worthy and he didn’t even get on the field. Sure, freshman can get better but claiming he’s a 1:1 replacement for Neyor right now is dumb as hell. 

Also, what posters knew about Neyor prior to the portal isn’t really relevant to anything. He averaged 20 yards a catch and had 12 tds playing D1 collage football whether we were watching Wyoming football or not. Cain has never made a catch in a game. 

It's like you don't understand that different players have different development timelines. Cain was likely not ready to contribute last season, which means jack shit to what he can likely contribute this season. I mean fuck dude, we used to have an unofficial award for the senior that would come out of nowhere and contribute after not doing jack shit for 3 or 4 years, including several WRs.  The "every player that doesn't show anything their freshmen seasons are complete busts" narrative is fucking retarded.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.9de490d53b3a5b1575cee1b32b23922c.png

image.thumb.png.ab048d336c13e5b73cd85b763ec5f45d.png

image.png.f31392d6edd60b41a8a86e45b26fe301.png

Nahlin loves him some Card.

Card killed ULaLa.

his game by game lines since then are anything but impressive.

image.png.bfc7eb25807c5f6c9bb54eefef3e0216.png

literally every chance to play outside of ULaLa, he has done quite poorly.

• 8/15 for 61 yards, 0 TDs vs Ark
  • 14/23 for 101 yards, 1 TD vs ISU
  • 10/16 for 123 yards, 1 TD vs WVU

i get liking the guy. i get liking his theoretical tool set. but when you are outplayed by Casey Thompson, you aren't the guy.

if he beats out Ewers, Texas is megafucked.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Nope said:

Would love it if we found a way to get C Jones the fuck off the field 

If you cant get at least conference level play out of senior, you might as well just play a freshmen. No reason to waste those reps on a senior, especially in year 2 under a coach. Sark should know year 3 is when the real grading starts. 

Edited by Codaxx

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

FUCK YEAH!

So we looking at Banks - Conner - Majors - Hutson - Cam??

This would be ideal. Although I still feel like DJ Campbell factors in somewhere. Would love to see him get a run at Center or have them move Hutson to Center. Conner can make the line calls. 

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

Card killed ULaLa.

i get liking the guy. i get liking his theoretical tool set. but when you are outplayed by Casey Thompson, you aren't the guy.

Card at his ceiling is going to give you an efficient and well managed game. He isn't going to be throwing for 400+ yards or even trying to take the top off of defenses constantly. Even these practice reports say that Card's improvement has come "In the short and intermediate game". Well, his problem last year was that he couldn't hit a deep ball to save his life. If he isn't improving there, then there is absolutely no way he wins this job. 

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

Card killed ULaLa.

How does anyone know if Ewers is any good ?

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Card at his ceiling is going to give you an efficient and well managed game. He isn't going to be throwing for 400+ yards or even trying to take the top off of defenses constantly. Even these practice reports say that Card's improvement has come "In the short and intermediate game". Well, his problem last year was that he couldn't hit a deep ball to save his life. If he isn't improving there, then there is absolutely no way he wins this job. 

yup. this is basically what they had last year with how terrible Thompson was on the deep ball

2 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

How does anyone know if Ewers is any good ?

that's literally my point. if he can't beat out Card, Texas is megafucked.

(he is going to beat out Card)

Edited by NoName

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

Card killed ULaLa.

Box scores certainly look better than the eye test. For instance his QBR against WVU is basically the same as the ULL game.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's like you don't understand that different players have different development timelines. Cain was likely not ready to contribute last season, which means jack shit to what he can likely contribute this season. I mean fuck dude, we used to have an unofficial award for the senior that would come out of nowhere and contribute after not doing jack shit for 3 or 4 years, including several WRs.  The "every player that doesn't show anything their freshmen seasons are complete busts" narrative is fucking retarded.

I’m not pushing that narrative at all. Cain may end up being every bit of the college WR that Neyor is. 

Tell me more about the developmental timeline of Cain that has him go from player who can’t see the field on a WR desperate team to a 1:1 replacement for a guy who scored double digit touchdowns in 8 months.

Right now, in August of 2022, Cain isn’t anywhere close to the player that Neyor is and that shouldn’t be a controversial statement. Anyone trying to say that he might be is either full of shit or trying to sell you something.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I know it's unfathomable to some of you, but a player actually can  improve from one year to the next.
Maybe Card is taking a step in the right direction?
Maybe Ewers isn't as great as once thought?
Maybe go fuck yourself?

No matter what positives someone brings to the table it is the 3-4 plays people don’t like that are forever remembered.

Then it’s even better when people ignore the obvious, more significant error.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Box scores certainly look better than the eye test. For instance his QBR against WVU is basically the same as the ULL game.

He was good vs WVU and ULL. Some of takes are a little overboard. Card is talented QB. The issue isnt his upside. The issue is what happens when things go wrong? Tough to have a QB that whose confidence fluctuates so wildly. 

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I’m not pushing that narrative at all. Cain may end up being every bit of the college WR that Neyor is. 

Tell me more about the developmental timeline of Cain that has him go from player who can’t see the field on a WR desperate team to a 1:1 replacement for a guy who scored double digit touchdowns in 8 months.

Right now, in August of 2022, Cain isn’t anywhere close to the player that Neyor is and that shouldn’t be a controversial statement. Anyone trying to say that he might be is either full of shit or trying to sell you something.   

I don’t think anyone is trying to say Casey Cain is Isaiah Neyor. But the dude was never expected to contribute as a freshman and has reportedly had a good camp. Just because someone wasn’t ready last year doesn’t mean they can’t catch 20 or so passes this year as a 4th or 5th option.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

you see something good in those box scores? because there sure isn't much good to see.

Card had a 52 yard TD pass vs WVU. take that out, and he was 9/15 for 71 yards. 4.7 YPA.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401287947

I tortured myself by watching all the offensive plays from Arkansas again and the biggest issues were the 3 or 4 deep balls that were missed and the refusal to scramble early in the game when successfully escaping the pocket. Maybe he had poor happy feet in his appearances after that game but his feet looked fine in the pocket. Was just decision making and not connecting on the deep throws.

And watching it also reminded me of Sarkisian saying they prepared for a 4 man front all week since Arkansas showed it against Rice and that got me pissed off all over again.

Edited by Hookem2147

10 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I know it's unfathomable to some of you, but a player actually can  improve from one year to the next.

Maybe Card is taking a step in the right direction?

Maybe Ewers isn't as great as once thought?

Maybe go fuck yourself?

Card basically is what he is. If he is the starter either he made a HUGE jump, which we haven't seen in practice reports at all, or Ewers was crap, which we also haven't seen in practice reports.

Card has not developed into a high ceiling guy. That does not bode well for the team or the offense. If you have a low ceiling guy, you end up in games like last year with Casey Thompson. That doesn't bode well for anyone.

Ewers has a high ceiling. Ewers allows you to open the playbook up on deeper passes. Ewers allows you to do a ton of things you can't with a guy whose bread and butter is short to intermediate passing game. That kind of guy isn't exactly what Sark was brought in to do on offense or what Sark has shown he likes doing.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

you see something good in those box scores? because there sure isn't much good to see.

Card had a 52 yard TD pass vs WVU. take that out, and he was 9/15 for 71 yards. 4.7 YPA.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401287947

The “take out these plays” argument, both good and bad, for stat purposes is stupid for any player. The plays happened.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The “take out these plays” argument, both good and bad, for stat purposes is stupid for any player. The plays happened.

the point was more than his stats were pretty heavily held up by one play. 40% of his yards on 6% of his attempts is absolutely an outlier.

Hookah has been pretty accurate over the past year and a half, imo, including on Saturday when he posted that Neyor had a non-contact knee injury before anyone else had it 

I wouldn't hold the Hall thing against him; sometimes shit changes

Now, the other insider on IT who said that Neyor's knee was fine and who's missed far more than he's hit is a different story

• Hook 'Em 1

Card could be a solid QB option for a team that has a top 10 defense, and needs a QB that values protecting the ball over making plays. We don’t have that luxury right now, and thus we need a playmaking QB and have to accept the risks that come with it. Unlike Alabama, Texas cannot be a successful team with a game manager at QB. 

• Like 1

I tortured myself by watching all the offensive plays from Arkansas again and the biggest issues were the 3 or 4 deep balls that were missed and the refusal to scramble early in the game when successfully escaping the pocket. Maybe he had poor happy feet in his appearances after that game but his feet looked fine in the pocket. Was just decision making and not connecting on the deep throws.

Sometimes you just need that one play to change confidence. I think you saw that with Card versus WVU. Maybe Whittington versus Arkansas had he made the play.

I can’t help but think Card was trying to do as coached when it came to scramble/run situations. Run only as a last resort sort of thing. He’s a better athlete than the awkwardness that was shown on several of those. Coaches can and will overcoach. And that’s a possible result of that.

QB Efficiency Rating (RTG on ESPN) seems like it sucks as a metric.  Obviously not apples to apples for variety of reasons but RTG would tell us Card was on par or better last year (138.6) than Colt in 2007 (139.2) or VY in 2004 (128.4).  

As for QB's getting better year over year... here are most improved from 2000-2021.  This is by RTG so maybe worthless, but only metric I already had data for.  Note-  guys only show up if they qualified statistically (14 attempts per team game) in both seasons).

image.thumb.png.ac674269ad38967d86bf83d5f1f77c9c.png

Edited by 40acredropout
RTG (QB Efficiency Rating), not QBR. I'm an idiot.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Ewers will ultimately beat out Card. I’m glad Card is improving. I would hope he would be. 

Some of y’all are like mini-Al Davis types. Just want a QB that throw a bomb. Rocket/canon arm is GREAT and we sorely need it. But if you can’t be accurate or make good decisions and throw picks at bad times or in the red zone your canon for an arm is not that impressive until you’ve established you can make good decisions, extend a play and be accurate. 

Ewers may not be ready to do all those things yet. He may not be ready for more than a paired down playbook with simple reads he can execute. His ability and his preparation and hard work SHOULD enable him to beat out Card during the course of the season. And be the starter and Card will be a good backup. If Ewers can’t do that within the course of the season it is entirely on him.

8 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

QBR (at least alone) seems like it sucks as a metric.  Obviously not apples to apples for variety of reasons but QBR would tell us Card was on par or better last year (138.6) than Colt in 2007 (139.2) or VY in 2004 (128.4).  

As for QB's getting better year over year... here are most improved from 2000-2021.  This is also by QBR so maybe worthless, but only readily available single metric I had data for.  Note-  guys only show up if they qualified statistically (14 attempts per team game) in both seasons).

image.thumb.png.7c54adf7f4dd7e755b00c6cec249f746.png

Perhaps I am misreading your post, but Card did not have a 138.6 QBR. His QBR was 59.5. To put that in perspective, Casey finished 61st with a 66.2 QBR. Card would have finished with the 69th best QBR, if he had enough attempts to be eligible 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Perhaps I am misreading your post, but Card did not have a 138.6 QBR. His QBR was 59.5, which is bad. 

The above chart isn't QBR either it's their ratings.  I don't know why ESPN has QBR which I think most assume is shorthand for QB rating, but they list the rating as a different #.

32 minutes ago, NoName said:

Card basically is what he is. If he is the starter either he made a HUGE jump, which we haven't seen in practice reports at all, or Ewers was crap, which we also haven't seen in practice reports.

Card has not developed into a high ceiling guy. That does not bode well for the team or the offense. If you have a low ceiling guy, you end up in games like last year with Casey Thompson. That doesn't bode well for anyone.

Ewers has a high ceiling. Ewers allows you to open the playbook up on deeper passes. Ewers allows you to do a ton of things you can't with a guy whose bread and butter is short to intermediate passing game. That kind of guy isn't exactly what Sark was brought in to do on offense or what Sark has shown he likes doing.

Is he though?  

I'm hesitant to declare a guy a finished product after only 83 pass attempts.

May the best man win!

• Hook 'Em 3