2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i get liking the guy. i get liking his theoretical tool set. but when you are outplayed by Casey Thompson, you aren't the guy.

Another important distinction is that Thompson continued to outplay Card with a broken thumb on his throwing hand. It took a few weeks before Card was able to demonstrate that he was the better option than a Quarterback who medically struggled to throw the ball to his receivers.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Aslan24 said:

Another important distinction is that Thompson continued to outplay Card with a broken thumb on his throwing hand. It took a few weeks before Card was able to demonstrate that he was the better option than a Quarterback who medically struggled to throw the ball to his receivers.

I am not really sure on that. He out played him in the Kansas game. He did not out play him vs ISU or WVU.. Amazing how that thumb was broken only on odd weeks.  

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

This would be ideal. Although I still feel like DJ Campbell factors in somewhere. Would love to see him get a run at Center or have them move Hutson to Center. Conner can make the line calls. 

With Hutson being out a week hopefully Campbell can use these reps to get further along with the offense. Does anyone know why he isn't getting much hype yet? Is it mental? Physical?

43 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

QB Efficiency Rating (RTG on ESPN) seems like it sucks as a metric.  Obviously not apples to apples for variety of reasons but RTG would tell us Card was on par or better last year (138.6) than Colt in 2007 (139.2) or VY in 2004 (128.4).  

As for QB's getting better year over year... here are most improved from 2000-2021.  This is by RTG so maybe worthless, but only metric I already had data for.  Note-  guys only show up if they qualified statistically (14 attempts per team game) in both seasons).

image.thumb.png.ac674269ad38967d86bf83d5f1f77c9c.png

None of those guys played with 5 star receivers and are scared to run!!    And have baby hands

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

If Cam Williams can just go ahead and push Jones out of the boat altogether, that would be great. Thank you, Cam

Can Jones play Guard? Maybe he’s one of those guys that just can’t quite handle being on an island and would thrive with a little help and could be a replacement for Junior going down with the ACL.

Its like why not get the bookends both reps at LT and RT now and rip the bandaid off and run with it. At this point with how shit the Tackle position has been, it can’t be much worse right?

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I have vague memories of that game. I wouldn’t have remembered the dudes name were it not for others remembrances of it.

And as far as I know, he never stepped on the field before or after that play.

Both were seniors and contributed all four years at Texas. Curry was a starter as a senior and went on to play in the NFL for a few years. Fields was our regular punt returner, graduated and played pro ball, NFL and CFL. 

I was sitting in the North end zone and didn't have a clear view of Curry's drop. I never thought we wouldn't keep them out of the end zone, regardless. Our defense had shut them down all afternoon.

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Can Jones play Guard? Maybe he’s one of those guys that just can’t quite handle being on an island and would thrive with a little help and could be a replacement for Junior going down with the ACL.

Its like why not get the bookends both reps at LT and RT now and rip the bandaid off and run with it. At this point with how shit the Tackle position has been, it can’t be much worse right?

200.gif

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I'd rather just use him as first guy off the bench at tackle if anything. 5 years in, he aint got it chief.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

I know it's unfathomable to some of you, but a player actually can  improve from one year to the next.

Maybe Card is taking a step in the right direction?

Maybe Ewers isn't as great as once thought?

Maybe go fuck yourself?

It's just been so long since we've seen that happen... it's more a myth now... a legend.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

With Hutson out a week Campbell can use reps to get further along the offense. Does anyone know why he isn't getting much hype yet? Is it mental? Physical?

Pretty sure he's transitioning from the Tackle position to Guard -- not necessarily an easy thing to do as a true freshman.  

2 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

It's just been so long since we've seen that happen... it's more a myth now... a legend.

People on this board were convinced Ehlinger was a potato and crap QB after year 1.  Truth is, he wasn't very good.  Just a bulldog.  Then, miraculously, he started to improve.  Maybe one day he will be drafted and play in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

People on this board were convinced Ehlinger was a potato and crap QB after year 1.  Truth is, he wasn't very good.  Just a bulldog.  Then, miraculously, he started to improve.  Maybe one day he will be drafted and play in the NFL.

You made me look up Sam's Total QBR

2017: 47.1 88th

2018: 77.3 18th

2019: 77.6 15th

2020: 76.6 22nd

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Card basically is what he is. If he is the starter either he made a HUGE jump, which we haven't seen in practice reports at all, or Ewers was crap, which we also haven't seen in practice reports.

Card has not developed into a high ceiling guy. That does not bode well for the team or the offense. If you have a low ceiling guy, you end up in games like last year with Casey Thompson. That doesn't bode well for anyone.

Ewers has a high ceiling. Ewers allows you to open the playbook up on deeper passes. Ewers allows you to do a ton of things you can't with a guy whose bread and butter is short to intermediate passing game. That kind of guy isn't exactly what Sark was brought in to do on offense or what Sark has shown he likes doing.

Arm strength and athleticism are not challenged for Hudson

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Potato…

FBC72A48-CC70-4FAE-89A9-3238AFEA4094.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

And some posters continued to believe he was crap his entire career. Because they are dumb, made their minds up early, and just couldn't let themselves be wrong.

• Hook 'Em 5

Watching Card run (or whatever you call that bizarre sidestep to the right that invariably ends up short of the yard to gain) makes me think it was drilled so deeply in his brain in camp that “QB run bad, do it only as a last resort,” that he lost all natural instincts to do it well. Casey stopped giving a fuck and reverted to the Hermanesque QB Ramming Speed Straight Ahead philosophy in the second half of the Arkansas game, and we actually moved the ball a bit. Sark was left between a cock and a Card place.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I’m not sure that post about Cain being a “1:1 replacement” for Neyor means the author (Nahlin?) thinks Cain is as good a player as Neyor. It could just mean that the staff isn’t going to replace Neyor by a rotation of 2-3 guys at the position and that they intend to only plug in Cain for Neyor’s position. 

I was much more thrown off by the “striated glutes” comment at the end of the piece. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Octavian said:

One of the guys on Reddit is hinting Card is gonna be named the starter tomorrow

Well if true surly will be hell on earth for a while. Also if true I would think it’s because of decision making/execution and accuracy. Hopefully, our defense, special teams and running game are lights out. I can understand if Hudson is a place card holder until Ewers is ready…but damn. Also, not a criticism per se, but one of the issues (I am all for people trying to make all the money they can as early as they can) I have with the QB position is that  not playing your senior year in high school  and not having any real playing time for two years can be difficult to overcome unless you are a Savant. Other positions can forgo that last year of HS. I’m just not sure it benefits a QB. 

Having said all that it’s probably just bullshit Reddit crap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The absolute pants shitting by the fans would rival that of Card's Arkansas performance. 

And imagine if Ewers actually does have a good scrimmage tonight in front of the public……then Card is named QB1 tomorrow. Our program would be fucked but at least the meltdowns would be entertaining 🥴 

Edited by perfectchaos007