2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

16 minutes ago, Octavian said:

One of the guys on Reddit is hinting Card is gonna be named the starter tomorrow

Apparently this guy on Reddit (username is gordogg24p) is involved in some capacity in a podcast called The Fire Steve Sarkisian Podcast. It's under the HornsCast umbrella, along with podcasts by IT, TFB and BarkingCarnival. Screencaps below.

Spoiler

gordog2.png

gordod.png

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Considering the guy looking to start at LT is a 5star that Cristobal wanted... and Cam Williams is a 6'8 380lb mother fucker who Cristobal also wanted, and both are currently being coached by the best O-Line Coach in the country, yes. I am absolutely excited for that, and quite frankly I'll take freshman year mistakes over the mediocrity that was our previous line every day of the week.

Fuck yeah bookend the line with both of those guys.    Leonard Davis did just fine starting as FR. Banks has every bit of potential as big Leonard.  Situationally, roll a real TE to one side or the other and I'd be just fine with that.  Its not ideal , I get it, but Id be happy with both of those studs out there

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Apparently this guy on Reddit (username is gordogg24p) is involved in some capacity in a podcast called The Fire Steve Sarkisian Podcast. It's under the HornsCast umbrella, along with podcasts by IT, TFB and BarkingCarnival. Screencaps below.

Hide contents

gordog2.png

gordod.png

What is that?

24 minutes ago, JBJ said:

And some posters continued to believe he was crap his entire career. Because they are dumb, made their minds up early, and just couldn't let themselves be wrong.

You could say this about every thread we have on Surly. 😁

18 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Are we really that excited that 3 true freshman are pushing for starting o-line roles? That terrifies me.

I remember all the people giving aggy shit for doing/wanting the same thing a few years ago. Glass houses and all, so I'll just say that I'm happy to have new blood on the Oline. We know what the starters where last couple of years.

14 minutes ago, Octavian said:

One of the guys on Reddit is hinting Card is gonna be named the starter tomorrow

Not surprising, but I think Ewers plays in the first game too and most likely Card has a very short leash in every game after that until Ewers earns the job. I don't like it, but it's not shocking to me. (Coach is doing what a coach should)

10 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I know I am somewhat biased when it comes to Card. I coached him for a few years in 7s and my kid lined up next to him in the backfield. That said, my loyalty to Texas overrides any personal feelings once a LT kid enrolls at UT. I havent spoken to Hudson since he arrived at UT. I honestly dont know what happened last year. All I can say is that is NOT the QB we saw for 3 years at LT against the highest level competition in TX High School. He played in the 6A state championship game against Allen and then back to back semifinals against North Shore. He didnt bat an eye to pressure from any of those defenses and he used his legs very efficiently. Kid runs a 4.6 and put up a 3.99 5-10-5. He excelled at attacking the middle of the field with the deep ball. I cant count how many times he hit Garrett Wilson or one of our other WRs on deep posts or Go routes. i think he posted the highest velocity on his throws at the Elite 11, NFL scouts were comparing him to Aaron Rodgers 18 months ago, and Sam called him the Natural. His ceiling is a multi-year college starter and 1st round draft pick. At LT, he was confident and poised and always a fighter. He never backed down from a challenge nor did he ever spit the bit. he was a gamer through and through. 

OK. But the thing is, he sucked a big ol bag of dicks last year.....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Ewers will ultimately beat out Card. I’m glad Card is improving. I would hope he would be. 

Some of y’all are like mini-Al Davis types. Just want a QB that throw a bomb. Rocket/canon arm is GREAT and we sorely need it. But if you can’t be accurate or make good decisions and throw picks at bad times or in the red zone your canon for an arm is not that impressive until you’ve established you can make good decisions, extend a play and be accurate. 

Ewers may not be ready to do all those things yet. He may not be ready for more than a paired down playbook with simple reads he can execute. His ability and his preparation and hard work SHOULD enable him to beat out Card during the course of the season. And be the starter and Card will be a good backup. If Ewers can’t do that within the course of the season it is entirely on him.

brett favre smile GIF by SB Nation

• Haha 2

Seeing as how Card got here in 2020 and was derailed due to the Covid year, it's not impossible that he doesn't actually suck(despite what our eyes tell us from last year) and could have developed nicely in the offseason. But i have no trust in that. We're probably fucked.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I know I am somewhat biased when it comes to Card. I coached him for a few years in 7s and my kid lined up next to him in the backfield. That said, my loyalty to Texas overrides any personal feelings once a LT kid enrolls at UT. I havent spoken to Hudson since he arrived at UT. I honestly dont know what happened last year. All I can say is that is NOT the QB we saw for 3 years at LT against the highest level competition in TX High School. He played in the 6A state championship game against Allen and then back to back semifinals against North Shore. He didnt bat an eye to pressure from any of those defenses and he used his legs very efficiently. Kid runs a 4.6 and put up a 3.99 5-10-5. He excelled at attacking the middle of the field with the deep ball. I cant count how many times he hit Garrett Wilson or one of our other WRs on deep posts or Go routes. i think he posted the highest velocity on his throws at the Elite 11, NFL scouts were comparing him to Aaron Rodgers 18 months ago, and Sam called him the Natural. His ceiling is a multi-year college starter and 1st round draft pick. At LT, he was confident and poised and always a fighter. He never backed down from a challenge nor did he ever spit the bit. he was a gamer through and through. 

All of the above makes what we saw last year puzzling. Im not sure if he was coached to be careful and he took it took it to the extreme and tried to be perfect? I really dont know. But running to the sideline or not wanting to run down the field or not wanting to throw the ball down the field is absolutely opposite of the QB he was in HS. Being hesitant and indecisive are also very different than how he was at LT. It could be that he took Sark's coaching too seriously or literally. It could be the stage was too big for him last year. I really dont know and I wont make excuses for him. I just know that I believe he can be SO much better than that and want to see him succeed whether it is here or some other place. But he is going to have to do it - whether its overcoming himself or the coaches or both. If he can't do whatever it is that he needs to do to be successful, then he never will convert all the potential he has into a reality. 

I expect Ewers to start. I dont think you go get a QB like him and not start him. I will be surprised if Hudson starts. That said, I want a true competition between the two and then start the one who wins it. I just want Texas to win again. I believe we can with either Quinn or Hudson and think we will probably need both of them to play this year regardless of who wins the job. I also want Sark to pick one and ride that one all the way through the season. QB is such a position of confidence and momentum. Pick a starter based on who wins the competition and then stick with that QB unless they get hurt.

OL protection was often crap last year. Many great QB’s don’t look great with poor protection. They get rattled. Card definitely got rattled last year. 

8 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Reveal hidden contents

gordog2.png

gordod.png

Like like this is the program that will be on during the noon window tomorrow: Almost Sports with Jason Dick & CJ Morgan

Their (already very dubious) cachet took a huge hit upon seeing this.

• Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Are we really that excited that 3 true freshman are pushing for starting o-line roles? That terrifies me.

What else are they supposed to do now.  Might as well train up the young pups and prepare for next year.  Losing Neyor and Angilau has already dropped my expectations for this year significantly.  

Edited by westexhorn

That reddit poster is so full of crap. Acting like a press release is being planned for a 12:00 drop tomorrow. Even last year there wasn't even a formal announcement. Sark just told the QB's privately and then that was that. No social media announcement or big graphic or anything.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That reddit poster is so full of crap. Acting like a press release is being planned for a 12:00 release tomorrow. Even last year there wasn't even a formal announcement. Sark just told the QB's privately and then that was that. No social media announcement or big graphic or anything.

he has an account here @gordogg24p

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

That reddit poster is so full of crap. Acting like a press release is being planned for a 12:00 release tomorrow. Even last year there wasn't even a formal announcement. Sark just told the QB's privately and then that was that. No social media announcement or big graphic or anything.

I think it's crap and they can backtrack if they're wrong and save face.  "Well it was going to be Card, but Ewers just was so much better at the open practice and fans saw it and no way Sark was going to announce Card as the starter after Ewers dazzled in front of the fans" or some bullshit. 

17 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Reveal hidden contents

gordog2.png

gordod.png

It's probably something else.  Maybe he is moving back to Austin.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think it's crap and they can backtrack if they're wrong and save face.  "Well it was going to be Card, but Ewers just was so much better at the open practice and fans saw it and no way Sark was going to announce Card as the starter after Ewers dazzled in front of the fans" or some bullshit. 

Why would they not name a starter coming out of the scrimmage and then 2 days later decide they've seen enough? Sounds like complete BS.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There is no face to be saved if nobody is paying attention to you in the first place.

6 minutes ago, gordogg24p said:

I have made zero claim about anything related to Card/Ewers or even the entire football team. I made a random cryptic meme-y post in the sub's sports thread that y'all are (very entertainingly) stretching into the stratosphere. If Sark announces a starter between now and then, I'll enjoy the ironic timing just as much as I enjoyed @OnAComputeraccidentally breaking the Arch Manning commitment. It's really not that serious, but my Venmo accepts $9.95 all the same.

So this isn't you making a claim about some team-related personnel decision, regardless of whether made it in jest (to troll) / you're otherwise full of shit?

Spoiler

gord.png

Edited by derpyhorndog
negged

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

So this isn't you making a claim about some team-related personnel decision, regardless of whether made it in jest (to troll) / you're otherwise full of shit?

Reveal hidden contents

gord.png

That is not a statement about anything related to the team, but y'all are so intent on it being about the team that it makes what you've highlighted even more true.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, PatSolitanojr said:

The amount of people taking the daily sports thread seriously is hilarious. 

The fanbase is pinning its hopes for a decent season on a particular QB starting. It's only natural someone would take advantage of the tension for their entertainment and troll, though not going to stop me from negging the bitch if he doesn't own it / pops up to defend it as simply speculation running wild. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

The fanbase is pinning its hopes for a decent season on a particular QB starting. It's only natural someone would take advantage of the tension for their entertainment and troll, though not going to stop me from negging the bitch if he doesn't own it / pops up to defend it as simply speculation running wild. 

oh-no-dont-do-that.gif

• Haha 5
  • Fuck You 1