2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

OL protection was often crap last year. Many great QB’s don’t look great with poor protection. They get rattled. Card definitely got rattled last year. 

Joe Montana in his prime would have curled up in a ball and cried like a sheepless aggie if he was playing behind our o-line in the arkie game last season. 

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That reddit poster is so full of crap. Acting like a press release is being planned for a 12:00 drop tomorrow. Even last year there wasn't even a formal announcement. Sark just told the QB's privately and then that was that. No social media announcement or big graphic or anything.

If he's involved in the Fire Sark shit, then yeah, he's full of crap and it's Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Jeez y'all - He literally said nothing about the team on reddit and he's on here telling you it's not about the team. Plus, what team news do you expect to be broken on a radio station?

He probably got hired to work there or something, which apparently will indeed piss a bunch of Surly posters off

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Look, we already have our established resident shitposters and trolls (@futureman, et. al.), and there's not a lot of emotional bandwidth for newcomers. 

To be fair, gordogg was minding his own business trolling on reddit before someone @‘d him on here to explain themselves 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, futureman said:

shitposter?  just because the unfiltered truth is threatening to you doesn't mean that you have to resort to name-calling.

Hey man, I've actually grown to find your shtick entertaining more often than not (as evidence by even being able to see and respond to your post), but let's call a spade a spade.  

21 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

The fanbase is pinning its hopes for a decent season on a particular QB starting. It's only natural someone would take advantage of the tension for their entertainment and troll, though not going to stop me from negging the bitch if he doesn't own it / pops up to defend it as simply speculation running wild. 

derpy, you might be going a wee bit overboard on ol'gordogg here. I don't see anywhere in which he said something about the team, and beyond that, he was doing whatever it is elsewhere in relative obscurity. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

derpy, you might be going a wee bit overboard on ol'gordogg here. I don't see anywhere in which he said something about the team, and beyond that, he was doing whatever it is elsewhere in relative obscurity. 

Context is important. He made his ominous posts in a Longhorn sports subreddit. In the daily sports thread. A thread where it's middle of fall camp and football is the dominating topic of discussion. Right around the time where the QB decision looms large and is the most discussed topic.  

Given the context, it's logical for someone to infer what he was making a call about the football team in some way, and there being a big development being hinted at. Particularly where there is opportunity for OP to clarify any wrong inference. But what did ol'gordogg do? Doubled and tripled down with more vague hints and enticements. No CR, but it's like someone strolling into 4Chan /pol and saying "there's going to be some big news around Capital Hill tomorrow about a laptop, tune in to the news at noon," then wondering why frenzy ensues. 

Lastly, can't take the resident sleuth guard dog off the leash from time to time for the fun detective work, then be surprised when he takes a few bites at some random Reddit troll when things are slow. I've had my fun now, but no ragrets or sympathy. 

Edited by derpyhorndog
derp
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

At LT, he was confident and poised and always a fighter. He never backed down from a challenge nor did he ever spit the bit. he was a gamer through and through.

I'm sorry, but this is a bit of a retcon.

Yes, he was mostly productive at LT but that program is a beast unto itself and to say Card didn't have a tendency to turtle in big games prior to arriving on the 40 acres is a little untrue. What about the 2018 state semi-final where they got outclassed by North Shore 51-10? I think it will look pretty familiar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

I'm sorry, but this is a bit of a retcon.

Yes, he was mostly productive at LT but that program is a beast unto itself and to say Card didn't have a tendency to turtle in big games prior to arriving on the 40 acres is a little untrue. What about the 2018 state semi-final where they got outclassed by North Shore 51-10? I think it will look pretty familiar.

tbh, i have mostly tried to block that game out of my memory as NS destroyed LT. But Im pretty sure you can watch Hudson running around, dodging defenders, and doing his best to do something with the ball. I dont think there were any holes open nor receivers open so it was a tough game for him and LT. now, go watch the next semi against NS and see how he battled the whole game and nearly brought LT back to win it.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Anyone got insight on the locker room/team dynamics going on?  I know we have hand ringing on QB selection and injuries, but it seems like this years' team is the closest/tightest team we've had in quite awhile... or coaches have been really good at keeping things under wrap.

It's almost as if they got rid of cancers and people that were giving out team information when they shouldn't have been. Like a coach or a player perhaps. Maybe Sark is playing his cards close to his vest knowing that loose lips sink ships. To pull out a classic... F the Haters! Let's see this new blood and hope and pray they are better than the players they are replacing. 🤘

1 hour ago, derpyhorndog said:

Apparently this guy on Reddit (username is gordogg24p) is involved in some capacity in a podcast called The Fire Steve Sarkisian Podcast. It's under the HornsCast umbrella, along with podcasts by IT, TFB and BarkingCarnival. Screencaps below.

Hide contents

gordog2.png

gordod.png

Well, I’m convinced. If you cannot trust the Longhorn QAnon, who can you trust? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Droopy said:

It's almost as if they got rid of cancers and people that were giving out team information when they shouldn't have been. Like a coach or a player perhaps. Maybe Sark is playing his cards close to his vest knowing that loose lips sink ships. To pull out a classic... F the Haters! Let's see this new blood and hope and pray they are better than the players they are replacing. 🤘

I guarantee some fake insider on Reddit doesn’t know anything about which QB gets chosen.  

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Great insight CTJ, but we need to play the best players period. Worrying about upsetting boosters or future profit loss is part of the reason why we are in this predicament as it is. Whoever gives this team the best chance to win needs to play, hype be damned. 

Is it more simply that Quinn is expected to be the guy?

whether or not he is ready we have to start him no matter what happens?

I mean if we’ve basically decided the Bama game is a definite loss so if it’s true Quinn has not won the job over Card yet that is irrelevant

Bc he’s supposed to be a stud here at UT bc he was heavily recruited and a stud In high school and so we gotta roll with him no matter what?

Because variety of reasons/politics/locker room? 

that’s my reading of it I guess.

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I still expect Ewers to be named the starter after the next scrimmage, for myriad reasons. That said, I've examined my thoughts around my outlook if Card were named the guy, and it's very grim. 

First of all, I'd be worried about our future on the NIL front. Only fools and aggies are ignorant or indifferent about NIL at this point. I know for a fact that Sarkisian isn't. Therefore, he'd be naming Card the starter with good information in his head around ramifications, so it be a really big bet. People on the boards can whine about donors and such all they want, but there isn't any heartburn over Neyor going down from folks who helped on NIL for him. We have realistic support compared to what the media and Internet thinks.

Ewers riding the pine behind Card would be a whole 'nother thing. It won't even be so much about who has already helped, but more about trying to convince the inactive blue hairs that are happy to give to the program to have their name on shit, but don't think players should be given a damned thing and be grateful for it. Hell, a good chunk of the big money actually fucking played at Texas and they've responded like that. 

Second of all, I know players can get better and should get better after their freshmen seasons. I called Sam Ehlinger a loser on this board after his meltdowns in 2017 and he turned out to be a hell of a competitor when he wasn't concussed. So maybe Card shows up and goes fucking nuts this season as we win the conference title. It could happen. I just don't see it in the guy, and in-game mental issues, to me, are tough to fix in the offseason. 

Third, there are cultural implications inside the locker room which could be problematic. No one is expecting Card to be the man. That would be quite an audible for folks. 

Finally, that shit will matter in the future with the transfer portal, as well as in recruiting. 

All fair but counterpoint to #3: IF Card really does clearly outplay Ewers in camp, the team would be witnessing that. Wouldn't it be worse culturally to name a starter that hasn't looked as good just because of their name/hype?

Anyway, the above is why I think Sark is just waiting for Ewers to have a few days of superior play vs Card and then will name him starter.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Great insight CTJ, but we need to play the best players period. Worrying about upsetting boosters or future profit loss is part of the reason why we are in this predicament as it is. Whoever gives this team the best chance to win needs to play, hype be damned. 

It will be Ewers, because Sark went 2021 season watching Texas miss deep ball after deep ball. Sark can’t be an “offensive genius”, if he has QBs that are 20% on the deep ball. The OL isn’t good enough to rely on 10 play drives vs quality defenses. This team will need to hit big plays to win 

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

In theory you are correct, but you have to take into account a number of factors. Ewers has an infinitely higher ceiling than Card. This also represents the first big money NIL deal that Texas has ventured into. I would rather have Ewers have a shaky week 1 start vs ULM followed by a bad loss to Bama if it means his improvement is accelerated by months due to real game action by the time we hit conference play. At the end of the day, Card will not be playing at an elite level in November if he starts the season, but Ewers has that potential. Also, should Dallas Turner get mad at Saban and hit the portal in January, we want to be able to go back to the well of alums who are willing to bring that type of talent in and point to Ewers as example one of why this all matters. 

We should be able to trot out Ben Ballard vs ULM and still win comfortably, it is as good of a game as any to start breaking a guy in. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Should be a fairly straight forward process. Name Ewers starter, bring back Agiye Hall, and bench Christian Jones. 

You don't bring back Hall until he has fulfilled his obligations of his indefinite suspension, period. You are trying to instill discipline in the kid, you aren't doing him any favors by letting him off the hook because of injuries.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, RGBIII said:

The dude you’re talking to has done more for Texas football than you could dream of. People who are actually devoting their valuable time to help better Texas football are allowed to complain about inaction instead of glory stand on a message board. Maybe at least spend $10 and get a burnt ends flare before you start talking shit. Puta

Hmmm. immamac sock?

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

You made me look up Sam's Total QBR

2017: 47.1 88th

2018: 77.3 18th

2019: 77.6 15th

2020: 76.6 22nd

ESPN’s QBR stat is made up fuckshittery that involves incestual sexual satanic orgies between the author and his mother. 

(the above statement is just as realistic as ESPN’s  QBR stat.)

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yuck…(honestly not all that surprising given what I have been reading and have heard…) 

IDK if it's true, but keep in mind CJ said he would be the starter.  As for the bookworm thing, I think QE has known the Southlake playbook since he was 2 years old.  No need to study.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cryler Murray was notorious for not giving one F about playbook study, in college. His new NFL contract mandates it, I think. 
My point- fuck ou. 

also, some kids just have the IT factor when they step into the spotlight. Maybe that’s how this kid is wired as well….or not.

i seriously doubt the report that Ewers doesnt work hard or spend much time in his playbook. Im assuming the SLC program is a lot like the LT program and both are built on a foundation of hard work and spending hours in their playbook. This isnt new to Quinn. Also, I have heard nothing but respect for the kid and his approach to the game from the folks i know inside the program. players and coaches do not respect players who dont put in the time.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Hook 'Em 3