2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

1 hour ago, OB3 said:

Don’t know how much ahead Hutson is in front of Campbell, or if they’ve thought about moving Jones to guard. But I thought Williams at tackle looked better than Campbell at guard

It's really surprising to me that Hutson is ahead of Campbell. I liked Hutson's tape in HS, but thought Campbell was the superior athlete, by a decent margin. Wonder if being there for spring ball is that impactful?  

Edited by NevaLost

2 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Here’s my take after sitting through the entire practice:

1) Card and Ewers basically even aside from that brutal Pick 6 by Card. Advantage Ewers by default. Expect him to be named starter no later than next Monday. 
2) Brennen Thompson and Savion Red had some moments. I’m thinking Thompson plays early. Dude is skinny as fuck, smaller than Worthy, but if you don’t get a body on him he’s gone. 
3) Didn’t watch O line play in detail, but freshmen seemed to hold their own. Fully expecting 2-3 to be starting very early. 
4) Thought DBs were solid. 
5) Kickers don’t have big legs. Their FG attempts didn’t look terrible in the air (no ugly shanks) but results weren’t good. 
6) Impressed with the pace of the practice. They kept them moving. 
7) Drops from WRs were contagious. Hopefully just a one practice thing. 
😎 Bijan is a bad man and on a different level from the rest of the team. 

Overall impression - We are who we thought we were. A mediocre team with some good young talent that’s gonna need another year or two to develop. Offense is just too inexperienced to be counting on it to put up 45 on a regular basis and I’ll believe it when I see it against a real offense from our D. I see the O having some big games but also a few stinkers. 7-5 or 8-4 seems realistic. Anything better is a pipe dream and will involve some significant in-season improvement. Oh, and Bama gonna absolutely rape us. 

Bama will stack the box to contain Bijan. Will need to go over the top to even make it competitive. Card has never been able to do that. Ewers is the starter, I don't see any other alternative.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It will be very, very, very bad if we need a new head coach in 2024.

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure I can handle another coaching search so soon 

Mack Brown is gonna come riding back into Austin with a wave of NIL promises and booster support. Im sure he will be very gracious and nobody will have any hard feelings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Here’s the deal.  When I was in 8th grade I was already maxing out at 135.  Yes with 45s on each side.  Anyways there was this 7th grade Samoan bastard that was maxing out at 125.  I knew he would be stronger than me by the time he was in 8th grade and hell maybe even in three months.  

but at that moment he wasn’t.  Right now, Card is me and Quinn is the 7th grade Samoan bastard.  His time will come.  But vs ULM, it’s cth and Card time.  Watch and learn kid. 

49 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Here’s the deal.  When I was in 8th grade I was already maxing out at 135.  Yes with 45s on each side.  Anyways there was this 7th grade Samoan bastard that was maxing out at 125.  I knew he would be stronger than me by the time he was in 8th grade and hell maybe even in three months.  

but at that moment he wasn’t.  Right now, Card is me and Quinn is the 7th grade Samoan bastard.  His time will come.  But vs ULM, it’s cth and Card time.  Watch and learn kid. 

No

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Good notes on Burke. I know there was some high floor low ceiling talks over on the recruiting board, Glad to see that high floor will be put to use. Also good to hear about Williams at RT. Seems like Banks won LT already.

I was pretty high on Burke, I believe I said he could legitimately be our best player on defense in 3 years. You can't teach his size/speed/athleticism combo, he just looked like a link of sausage coming out of high school. He needs 2-3 years of S&C and the kid could be a monster.

21 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Is it me or does Card throw a duck compared to Ewers. Dude can spin it.

Looked like he's trying to take some of it off the ball on the mid throws too. Effortless.

Need to be sure he keeps putting in all that extra work and pray he's got the balls to stand in there and throw dimes when the box is loaded and the PA is called on first down. 

bama-dl-640.jpg

What the fuck do you do with these guys? Jet sweeps? Pull guards and trap? Cut block and dink and dunk? 

I hope Sark has a lot up his sleeve.

I was pretty high on Burke, I believe I said he could legitimately be our best player on defense in 3 years. You can't teach his size/speed/athleticism combo, he just looked like a link of sausage coming out of high school. He needs 2-3 years of S&C and the kid could be a monster.

I meant to add that Burke looks like a guy who will be playing a lot, soon. Finkley too but that’s obvious.

Maalik Murphy is almost comically huge.

I left angry at Tom Herman.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

If PK/Patterson have our DBs just playing above-and-beyond such that they're terrorizing the quarterbacks, I could see how it could make it look like the QBs are playing worse than they really are.

If there's any time of year for mistakes, it's now when we can teach/correct them. As long as Milwee/Sark keep teaching and the QBs stay dedicated to learning and aren't making the same mistakes over and over again then we're probably in OK shape there. Not great but okay. Maybe a David Ash level of play. Hopefully improving as the season goes on. And Bijan/the defense/Worthy&Whittington could relieve some of the pressure on the QBs.

Keep scores low, score 4-5 times a game. That's a pretty good recipe.

• Like 1

It's not too late. There are likely some full qualifier place kickers in the JUCO ranks. There are probably several good walk ons at 4 year schools behind an entrenched starter who aren't on scholarship.  You can add a PK and plug him in right away.  The coaches need to be looking hard.  This is an area you can fix before the season starts. 

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

bama-dl-640.jpg

What the fuck do you do with these guys?

Just before kickoff, to the Bama guys:

“Oh, hey, just thought we’d let you know all of our guys have that new thing that’s going around.  

No, not COVID … Monkeypox! That’s right! Monkeypox!

Are you ready for some football??”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely a conundrum for Sark that he was hoping to avoid. 

Neither of the QBs looks ready for this level of football. I feel even more strongly now that Ewers screwed up royally by not playing his senior year of HS. He stunted his development and now looks far behind where other top guys like Young at Bama and Caleb Williams looked at 19 yrs old. The conundrum lies in Ewers is still probably a little ahead of Card at the moment but it's a very real possibility starting him too soon ruins his confidence on the big stage and does to him what Arkansas did to Card last season. 

I hope the defense is really very much improved because they're going to have to carry the team if they're going to get off to a good record in the first half of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I hope the defense is really very much improved because they're going to have to carry the team

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Either that or have the line be so much improved that they can run the shit out of the ball and control games

ptbu.jpg

29 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Either that or have the line be so much improved that they can run the shit out of the ball and control games on tve ground only asking the QB to throw off playaction and approx 20 times a game. 

With freshmen OL and Herman scraps

Yikes is all I have to say. It looks like our ceiling is possibly a 6-6 season and bowl game. It’s a shame too because as mentioned there is talent (lots of youth) all over the field. 
I have been encouraged by what I’ve been reading about the defense. 

Start Ewers because we haven’t seen his ceiling and Card, frankly should be further along. Having said that, I’m pretty fucking disappointed with all I’ve read about Ewers. As I said in an earlier post, I feel we have every right to expect him to play better than this. I feel like I opened up a box of shit on Christmas morning. Cool he throws a pretty long ball which we sorely need. He also has shit intermediate throws very likely to get picked off that resemble a frisbee. His body language sucks. I mentioned it and others have as well…maybe the QB position should finish senior year of high school. I’m already ready for Arch Madness. We should have a more well oiled team by then (or the hot seat will be an inferno for Sark.)

• Hook 'Em 1