2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yikes is all I have to say. It looks like our ceiling is possibly a 6-6 season and bowl game. It’s a shame too because as mentioned there is talent (lots of youth) all over the field. 
I have been encouraged by what I’ve been reading about the defense. 

Start Ewers because we haven’t seen his ceiling and Card, frankly should be further along. Having said that, I’m pretty fucking disappointed with all I’ve read about Ewers. As I said in an earlier post, I feel we have every right to expect him to play better than this. I feel like I opened up a box of shit on Christmas morning. Cool he throws a pretty long ball which we sorely need. He also has shit intermediate throws very likely to get picked off that resemble a frisbee. His body language sucks. I mentioned it and others have as well…maybe the QB position should finish senior year of high school. I’m already ready for Arch Madness. We should have a more well oiled team by then (or the hot seat will be an inferno for Sark.)

High possibility this post ends up on Message Board Geniuses. We’re talking bout practice. Maybe let him play in a real game one time before giving up all hope. I assure you Arch will be making the same mistakes a year from now in camp (even with having played his senior season), who will we move on to then?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

Sark has lost the fan base. Brace yourselves for what is coming. 

Honest question - Is that a serious assessment? If so, is it based on reading this thread or your observations being on the ground in Austin? 

I’m genuinely interested because I really like what he is doing to upgrade the talent on the team but it is becoming increasingly clear that we won’t see that reflected on the field until 2023 at the earliest, and if we have another abortion of a year like the last one, a lot of that talent won’t be there in 2023. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Nope said:

We’ll be fine, eventually…

Ewers seems to be on a longer trajectory than most had imagined, but how bad would our defense have to be if it was getting shredded by Card?

Ewers hasn’t played in two years. I’m not surprised.  The fact that apparently he’s not a bookworm is.  Sort of

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Honest question - Is that a serious assessment? If so, is it based on reading this thread or your observations being on the ground in Austin? 

I’m genuinely interested because I really like what he is doing to upgrade the talent on the team but it is becoming increasingly clear that we won’t see that reflected on the field until 2023 at the earliest, and if we have another abortion of a year like the last one, a lot of that talent won’t be there in 2023. 

8AE16B04-0648-4FF7-AFFC-2B9818F2A655.gif.562d3f04d978806b458dd5d821a456bc.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, lazygringo said:

If PK/Patterson have our DBs just playing above-and-beyond such that they're terrorizing the quarterbacks, I could see how it could make it look like the QBs are playing worse than they really are.

If there's any time of year for mistakes, it's now when we can teach/correct them. As long as Milwee/Sark keep teaching and the QBs stay dedicated to learning and aren't making the same mistakes over and over again then we're probably in OK shape there. Not great but okay. Maybe a David Ash level of play. Hopefully improving as the season goes on. And Bijan/the defense/Worthy&Whittington could relieve some of the pressure on the QBs.

Keep scores low, score 4-5 times a game. That's a pretty good recipe.

Damn you are lazy.  Didn’t even watch the videos.  The DBs aren’t terrorizing anybody.

So, all of this doomsday talk about our QB situation made me wonder about the talk surrounding some current college QBs who have been great. I did some searching on the Bama boards from a year ago and found some VERY similar talk about Bryce Young prior to the 2021 season. There were SOME positive things as well in the thread I found, but just like every other message board, no one knows shit. Gotta play real games and see how these dudes react. I am not saying we are "just like Bama" or that Ewers is Young, but this stuff was great. Also, the last quote was in the thread as well talking about Sark. :) Let's just play the games and see how the hell it goes. 

I am pretty confident Miami knows nothing about how Bryce Young has been playing other than what they read on message boards and what Alabama media has been reporting but I will say I am a bit nervous about Bryce Young. I would say he is a huge unknown. I knew last year going in that Mac could be a stud based upon the last 2 games he played in 2019. I have no idea what to expect with Bryce Young.

Yea agreed. I'm weirdly anxious to see him play. Most worried I've been about the QB situation since Jalen Hurts freshman year

I'm sure he'll be fine but over the past few years I've had a lot of fun watching really elite QB play. I want more of that selfishly. He didn't look great in his limited snaps last year but that doesn't mean very much obviously.

The only knock I’ve heard about BY , other than his size is his completion percentage. It wasn’t really a knock, just a lot of passes hitting the ground, and Nick addressed that . He said Bryce wasn’t getting help from the other players on offense. I think the biggest issue on this years team is leadership, or lack there of! The offense needs a Landon Dickerson or Najee Harris. Maybe Evan Neal or John Metchie will be that vocal leader.

I'm sure he will do a good job and get better as the season goes along.... I'm just bracing myself for the likelihood of a slight drop-off from Sark who is without question the Best OC we have ever had and one of the Best OC's in CFB ever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, lazygringo said:

If PK/Patterson have our DBs just playing above-and-beyond such that they're terrorizing the quarterbacks, I could see how it could make it look like the QBs are playing worse than they really are.

I see you’re still fucking this chicken. I’m sure the season will play out to your expectations. 

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This site 1.5 years ago: Ehlinger needs to leave. Time to see what Thompson and Card can do

this site 6 months ago: Meh on Dicker leaving. We need to see what Auburn and Stone can do.

good call gents

I don’t think a single person on this site has ever said that, but it’s not your fault. You’re way too busy cashing this fat checks to actually read Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think a single person on this site has ever said that, but it’s not your fault. You’re way too busy cashing this fat checks to actually read Surly. 

yeah, basically everyone here was hoping Dicker would stay and solidify both the punting and kicking positions. instead he got shit advice, gave up NIL $$ and just got cut by the Rams in the first round of cuts.

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Definitely a conundrum for Sark that he was hoping to avoid. 

Neither of the QBs looks ready for this level of football. I feel even more strongly now that Ewers screwed up royally by not playing his senior year of HS. He stunted his development and now looks far behind where other top guys like Young at Bama and Caleb Williams looked at 19 yrs old. The conundrum lies in Ewers is still probably a little ahead of Card at the moment but it's a very real possibility starting him too soon ruins his confidence on the big stage and does to him what Arkansas did to Card last season. 

Caleb Williams didn't play his senior year of high school either.    Granted, it wasn't his choice.

Bobby Burton practice notes

Spoiler

Some thoughts…

* Not the sharpest practice I’ve seen from the QBs. Lots of balls hit the turf that shouldn’t have. Some of that on the receivers, some on the QBs.

* Outside of Xavier Worthy and Jordan Whittington, Tarique Milton is clearly the no. 3 receiver at this point. With Whittington moved outside, Milton is more polished and reliable than Savion Red so far.

However, after watching practice last night, I don’t necessarily believe we’ll see Texas utilize those three specific receivers as much as I previously thought.

I think we’re really going to see a wider variety of looks from the Horns.

Why?

Steve Sarkisian can take Milton off the field and go two TEs or they can add Brenen Thompson on the outside or in the slot to get more deep speed on the field.

Thompson, while he suffered some drops early in practice, finished with two deep TD receptions where he beat his man by a couple of yards. He’s really not a fair matchup for anyone if he’s going deep.

He provides a deep threat that changes the game for Sark. He still needs to get better underneath as a route runner but the speed is next level stuff.

And then there’s the two TE set also to account for.

* Two freshman OLs started the entire practice - Kelvin Banks and Devon Campbell. Banks is ready IMO and he will be a devastating run blocker in time.

Campbell still has some work ahead of him but is clearly getting there. I think Campbell getting thrown into the fire with the 1s may be the best thing that could happen to his development.

Neither of them looked out of place physically despite only being true freshman.

* Christian Jones is going to get pushed at right tackle by Cam Williams. But I’m not sure Jones is ready to give up his spot quite yet.

Jones appears to be slightly improved in pass protection from a year ago.

* We did not see any two-back looks from the Horns last night.

* The first team defense looked poor against the run at times.

Why?

I felt the interior got rooted out too routinely.

Vernon Broughton just has a really hard time anchoring in the run game and gets washed out really easily and it effects others.

As a pass rusher, Broughton may be a plus-player on the interior. As a run defender, he appears to be a liability.

T’Vondre Sweat is running behind Broughton but routinely was disruptive. Sweat may be the team’s most disruptive interior player but he’s currently running second team. Perhaps that’s the motivation needed for Sweat to keep generating results.

* Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey is a starter. What a great late pickup by the Horns! He is a run-first linebacker who sees it early and fills holes quickly.

* We saw just a glimpse or two of DeMarvion Overshown moving to the outside. While that may eventually be a package we see lots of in the fall, they weren’t showing much of it last night.

* I’m very mixed on this defense after last night. They seem to be playing better together and playing smarter on the second level. But they also may have some talent deficiencies overall.

* Perhaps the biggest revelation for me on defense was the sight of Ethan Burke, the true freshman. Burke was getting some late reps with the 1s coming off the edge. He was really the only Texas defensive end that gave Banks any problems.

There’s so much more to write and discuss that we can expand on and discuss in the coming days but here’s one last bit on the QB race.

* Neither QB stood out to me. Wanting someone to step up and take the QB race by the reins just didn’t happen last night and it apparently hasn’t happened all fall camp.

Hudson Card shows more glimpses of consistency than Quinn Ewers. But Ewers shows more ability down the field and even underneath.

Watching practice, it’s easy to see why Sark has not named either QB the starter, yet.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Sark has lost the fan base before game 1 of year 2 in a complete dumpster fire program rebuild was not on my bingo card. I hear urban Meyer is free. I’ll see myself out. 

he hasn’t lost the fan base.  whoever said that is a moron. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

* Perhaps the biggest revelation for me on defense was the sight of Ethan Burke, the true freshman. Burke was getting some late reps with the 1s coming off the edge. He was really the only Texas defensive end that gave Banks any problems.

Interesting.  Here's what the 9.95ers' sources were telling them about Burke coming on prior to this scrimmage:  ______________

Every year's the same...

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Then the season starts and suddenly majority of the fall practice reports turn out to be very biased and incorrect.

No matter how you slice things, our OL will be better, our running game will be better, our defense will be better. Our QB play just needs more consistency and questions at kicker won't matter.  This season can't come soon enough.  Sark can win with either QB but I don't think he'll be able to pass up on Ewer's deep ball ability vs Cards.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I thought sark was the qb whisperer? All I saw last year was regression from the team and I’ll reserve my hate for this season till game 1, but these qb reports are not good for a guy that’s supposed to be king qb trainer.

Well, despite having Casey Thumbson and Hudson Card as his two options last year, we still led the Big 12 in passing TD’s and ranked 3rd in offensive efficiency. That was with Marcus Washington and Joshua Moore as our primary #2 receiver options for half the season.

One thing I always noticed with Lincoln Riley is he could put his QB’s on a joystick and pretty much control them despite their flaws. We saw this big time with Jalen Hurts in 2019 who was not a good passer at all. I see some of the abilities with Sark when it comes to QB’s. He is able to scheme around a lot of stuff to make life easier on them (think about the OU game with dudes running wide open and the numerous deep shots each game).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Every year's the same...

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Then the season starts and suddenly majority of the fall practice reports turn out to be very biased and incorrect.

No matter how you slice things, our OL will be better, our running game will be better, our defense will be better. Our QB play just needs more consistency and questions at kicker won't matter.  This season can't come soon enough.  Sark can win with either QB but I don't think he'll be able to pass up on Ewer's deep ball ability vs Cards.

With the two QBs having different strengths and weaknesses but ultimately on par with each other overall so far, it’s why I think we’re trending towards a 2 QB rotation this season. Something something when you have 2 QBs you have none 

9 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Mack Brown is gonna come riding back into Austin with a wave of NIL promises and booster support. Im sure he will be very gracious and nobody will have any hard feelings.

Outside of Briles and Shipley,  I do not recall his WRs getting destroyed every offseason or being made of glass.   Eventually Shipley even stopped getting hurt. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Sark has lost the fan base. Brace yourselves for what is coming. 

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

he hasn’t lost the fan base.  whoever said that is a moron. 

He knows what he's doing. Keep everybody riled up and drive clicks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jeff Howe practice observations 

Spoiler

The following are observations collected from watching the session while seated in the north end zone of the stadium:

— I want to start my observations with the offensive line, the group I was most interested to see given that Junior Angilau suffered a season-ending injury in the team’s first scrimmage while Cole Hutson will be out for an undermined amount of time. If Kelvin Banks hasn’t already beaten out Andrej Karic for the starting left tackle spot, he seems well on his way to doing so given that every time the offensive line lined up as a group, Banks was with the first unit with Karic backing him up.

Tuesday’s practice featured no blocking or tackling to the ground, so it’s hard to take a ton away from Banks’ performance. With that said, Banks carried himself and moved from period to period in a manner that suggests it’s going to be tough for Karic to knock him out of the top spot protecting the blindside of Hudson Card or Quinn Ewers.

— With Angilau done for the season and Hutson out, DJ Campbell got all of the work as the No. 1 right guard on Tuesday with Neto Umeozulubacking him up. Assuming Hutson’s injury doesn’t keep him out for longer than upwards of the week or two Sarkisian expects him to be out of the lineup, it’s pretty clear that at least three true freshmen offensive linemen are positioned to play early and often for the Longhorns.

— Hayden Conner (left guard), Jake Majors (center) and Christian Jones rounded out the No. 1 group up front. Karic, Umeozulu, Malik Agbo (left guard) and Cameron Williams (right tackle) made up the second group with Connor Robertson and Logan Parr sharing snaps at center. Robertson and Parr had a few snaps that rolled back to the quarterback, which is to be expected with both linemen needing to grow into the position quickly as Kyle Flood has to accelerate their development while looking for a suitable option behind Majors.

— One thing I found interesting was that the offensive line's pass protection periods weren’t one-on-ones with the defensive line. Instead, those periods were live with four defenders rushing five linemen, often using a bevy of twists and stunts to get to the quarterback. Communication is a potential massive issue facing what could be a young offensive line, so it was nice to see Flood using practice periods to work on pass protection that most closely simulates what’s going to happen in a game.

— On the other side of the line of scrimmage, Vernon Broughton and Byron Murphy gobbled up the snaps with the first group with Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo and T'Vondre Sweat working behind them. Broughton and Murphy both flashed big at times, especially in live passing periods where they could pin their ears back and get up the field. Sweat’s presence could be felt from time to time, but I made several notes throughout the live period where Broughton and Murphy were wrecking things in the middle of the line and either forcing the whistle to be blown for a sack or causing the play to completely break down.

— Alfred Collins was wearing a brace on his knee and, as far as I could tell, didn’t participate in practice. There’s been no official word about the status of Collins, who was otherwise dressed out and with his teammates on the field.

— Ovie Oghoufo and Barryn Sorrell appear to have the starting edge positions locked down. Justice Finkley and Prince Dorbah got a lot of run with the second group with Dorbah’s ball get-off flashing in periods where he was able to be purely a pass rusher. When Oghoufo’s reps were limited in some of the middle portions of practice, true freshman Ethan Burke got to work with the top group. Burke had a nice moment in an 11-on-11 run period where he set the edge and blew up the play against the No. 1 offensive line.

— The linebackers (DeMarvion Overshown and Jaylan Ford made up the first group, Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey and Jett Bush were first up with the twos and Devin Richardson and David Gbenda ran behind them) were active. Overshown and Bijan Robinson had three physical battles in a one-on-one pass protection period and he made a great pass breakup while covering Keilan Robinson in 11-on-11; Ford was in the right place at the right time for an interception in 11-on-11 when Ewers threw a crossing route behind Gabe Sulser; Bush diagnosed and blew up a screen pass toward the end of practice; Luke Brockermeyer nearly intercepted Charles Wright in one of the few live snaps he took as he continues to recover from a knee injury he suffered last November.

— In 11-on-11, Ryan Watts, D'Shawn Jamison and Jamier Johnson had interceptions, but the big takeaway on the back end for me was the presence of the youngsters. Xavion Brice, Terrance Brooksand Austin Jordan (lined up at cornerback and nickel) all looked smooth and aggressive when the ball came their way with those three recording multiple pass breakups working with the No. 3 defense. That success doesn’t necessarily mean any of them are ready to log high-leverage snaps right out of the gate, but it’s another data point to show that Sarkisian, Pete Kwiatkowski and Terry Josephdid a lot of work to change body types, ball skills and mindset at the cornerback position in the offseason.

— Turnovers defined practice for the quarterbacks with no separation evident until the 11-on-11 periods late in practice where his work there (including a hard play-action touchdown pass on a corner route to Brenen Thompson rolling to his right) and the volume of snaps he logged with the No. 1 offense in team periods would give a slight edge on the night in favor of Ewers. With that said, nothing that could be seen on the field Tuesday gave any indication one way or the other, at least from what I could gather, that one quarterback is clearly ahead of the other. Ewers’ talent is evident with the way he makes big-time throws look effortless, but Card’s willingness to take checkdowns in live periods could be a sign of improved pocket awareness. Regardless, Tuesday’s sample makes it look like Sarkisian made the right call by letting the competition carry on through the second scrimmage.

— Who’s close to joining Jordan Whittington and Xavier Worthy atop the wide receiver rotation? A season-ending injury suffered by Isaiah Neyor and Agiye Hall serving an indefinite suspension opened a door that Tarique Milton has walked through and the result on Tuesday was the Iowa State graduate transfer logging a ton of snaps. The personnel groupings Texas used in live periods were 10 (one running back and no tight ends), 11 (one running back and one tight end) and 12 (one running back and two tight ends) with Milton lining up both in the slot and out wide. After Milton, Casey Cain (who looked fluid while wearing a green non-contact jersey), Brenen Thompson (who struggled early to hang onto the football but rallied to catch two touchdowns in 11-on-11, one from Card and one from Ewers) and Savion Red are next up in the pecking order based on how things played out on Tuesday (Jaden Alexis and Troy Omeire were limited in practice).

— There wasn’t much to take away from the tight ends or running backs. The passing game work they got came mostly in the form of checkdowns, but it was good to see Jahleel Billingsley on the field since he was limited in the two previous practice windows open to the media. Ja'Tavion Sandersplayed exclusively as an in-line tight end in live periods along with Gunnar Helm (Juan Davisbacked up Billingsley). When the No. 1 offense took the field for 11-on-11, those periods opened with a 12 personnel group featuring Billingsley and Sanders.

19COMMENTS

— What do I feel better about regarding the Longhorns in 2022 following Tuesday’s practice? The youth movement already taking place along the offensive line, the disruptive potential of Broughton and Murphy on the other side of the line of scrimmage, the long-term outlook of the secondary and the potential of the inexperienced wide receivers. As for the other side of the coin, the quarterbacks are turning the ball over far more than it seems like was the case last August, how much and in what ways the tight ends will be used remains a mystery and how will the linebackers and edge defenders look when they’re diagnosing and attacking a different offense in a uniform of a different color on Sept. 3?

• Hook 'Em 5

From what I can see on the highlights…there is a certain type of development that ewers will only get from being in actual competition at this level. He needs to be at that speed. We’ll see if he really is a gamer, but I think some competition will bring out what he’s got in a way practice just can’t.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This site 1.5 years ago: Ehlinger needs to leave. Time to see what Thompson and Card can do

this site 6 months ago: Meh on Dicker leaving. We need to see what Auburn and Stone can do.

good call gents

It has been mentioned upthread that card and ewers will be trash, and arch will be the missing link. That is, until the 2024 5 star qb signs. 

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

That "low" for Ewers was not on him. It was not a great pass (lot of air on that), but Milton needs to come down with that. I saw another interception that was the result of the WR falling down. 1-2 others that I have not seen, but based on what I mentioned it probably wasnt as bad as reports are saying.