2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

Athletic: Mandel’s Mailbag: Is Texas 9-3 or 3-9? Will Michigan be 11-0 entering The Game?

Does any team have a wider variety of possible outcomes this season than Texas? I’ve seen Texas projected as Big 12 champions, and, after the injuries in last weekend’s scrimmage, I’ve seen projections of another five-win season. I’d be happy with eight or nine wins. — Eric S.

Texas joins USC, LSU and Oklahoma in my group of “wild card” teams that are going to be both extremely interesting and extremely difficult to predict. But the ‘Horns arguably have an even wider range of possible outcomes than the other three simply because their worst-case scenario could be pretty grim.

The reasons for excitement surrounding these Longhorns are obvious. They have star running back Bijan Robinson, All-Freshman wide receiver Xavier Worthy, and, of course, they have all-everything quarterback recruit Quinn Ewers — all of whom will be playing for a highly respected offensive mind in Steve Sarkisian.

But there also more than a few reasons to fear a complete fiasco.

First of all, we have no idea whether Ewers will be the next Trevor Lawrence or the next Tate Martell. He will also likely be playing behind multiple freshmen offensive line starters, especially after Texas lost thee-year starter Junior Angilau on Saturday to a season-ending injury. (Touted Wyoming transfer WR Isaiah Neyor also was lost.) And all that’s before even discussing a defense that will likely require a multi-year rebuild.

Good thing these guys don’t have to face Alabama the second week of the season. … Oh, wait.

In the optimist’s scenario, Ewers (who hasn’t officially won the job yet) has an amazing first season, Robinson returns to Heisman contention, the defense is at least average and the ‘Horns go 9-3 or even 10-2 and reach the Big 12 title game. If the offense is explosive but inconsistent and the defense average-to-below-average, perhaps Texas is more of a 6-6 or 7-5 team. But there’s an absolutely real possibility that the offensive line is completely overmatched, Ewers and/or Hudson Card struggle, the defense is still terrible and Texas goes 4-8 or worse.

What’s interesting is, even if that happens, it won’t necessarily mean the sky is falling in Austin, because Arch Manning is coming. And he’s part of a class currently ranked third in the country, which will arrive on the heels of the fifth-ranked class Sarkisian signed this year. Therefore, the 2022 season is effectively a freebie for Sark. But it could be highly entertaining regardless.

Full Text

Spoiler

Mandel’s Mailbag: Is Texas 9-3 or 3-9? Will Michigan be 11-0 entering The Game?

AUSTIN, TEXAS - SEPTEMBER 04: Bijan Robinson #5 of the Texas Longhorns reacts after a rushing touchdown in the second half against the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on September 04, 2021 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images)
By Stewart Mandel
3h ago

Hard to believe that just a week from Saturday, Northwestern and Nebraska will be teeing it up across the Atlantic. And yet you guys just want to keep talking about Big Ten expansion and TV deals.

Of course I’ll indulge it. But first, some football.

(Note: Submitted questions have been lightly edited for length and clarity.)

Does any team have a wider variety of possible outcomes this season than Texas? I’ve seen Texas projected as Big 12 champions, and, after the injuries in last weekend’s scrimmage, I’ve seen projections of another five-win season. I’d be happy with eight or nine wins. — Eric S.

Texas joins USC, LSU and Oklahoma in my group of “wild card” teams that are going to be both extremely interesting and extremely difficult to predict. But the ‘Horns arguably have an even wider range of possible outcomes than the other three simply because their worst-case scenario could be pretty grim.

The reasons for excitement surrounding these Longhorns are obvious. They have star running back Bijan Robinson, All-Freshman wide receiver Xavier Worthy, and, of course, they have all-everything quarterback recruit Quinn Ewers — all of whom will be playing for a highly respected offensive mind in Steve Sarkisian.

First of all, we have no idea whether Ewers will be the next Trevor Lawrence or the next Tate Martell. He will also likely be playing behind multiple freshmen offensive line starters, especially after Texas lost thee-year starter Junior Angilau on Saturday to a season-ending injury. (Touted Wyoming transfer WR Isaiah Neyor also was lost.) And all that’s before even discussing a defense that will likely require a multi-year rebuild.

Good thing these guys don’t have to face Alabama the second week of the season. … Oh, wait.

In the optimist’s scenario, Ewers (who hasn’t officially won the job yet) has an amazing first season, Robinson returns to Heisman contention, the defense is at least average and the ‘Horns go 9-3 or even 10-2 and reach the Big 12 title game. If the offense is explosive but inconsistent and the defense average-to-below-average, perhaps Texas is more of a 6-6 or 7-5 team. But there’s an absolutely real possibility that the offensive line is completely overmatched, Ewers and/or Hudson Card struggle, the defense is still terrible and Texas goes 4-8 or worse.

What’s interesting is, even if that happens, it won’t necessarily mean the sky is falling in Austin, because Arch Manning is coming. And he’s part of a class currently ranked third in the country, which will arrive on the heels of the fifth-ranked class Sarkisian signed this year. Therefore, the 2022 season is effectively a freebie for Sark. But it could be highly entertaining regardless.

Bruce (Feldman) has a bunch of defensive Wolverines on his Freaks List, and Michigan brings back a large part of its offense. I know the Wolverines have a new OC and DC, but looking at the schedule, I can’t help but think they should be 11-0 going into The Game. What do you see as Michigan’s ceiling this year? — Russell B., Austin, Texas

I admire your optimism, Russell, I really go, but if Michigan is 11-0 going into The Game I will fly to Ann Arbor, pick up Zingerman’s corned beef sandwiches for both of us, then fly to Austin to personally deliver yours. (If you’ll let me stay and watch the game.)

I don’t think the Wolverines will implode by any means. There’s no reason why they can’t build on last season’s breakthrough on offense, even without former offensive coordinator Josh Gattis. They should be able to pound the rock with Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards. I’m curious to see whether sophomore QB J.J. McCarthy plays a bigger role behind incumbent Cade McNamara. And getting back injured WR Ronnie Bell is big.

I’m more worried about the defense. Aidan Hutchinson was a truly special player who dramatically impacted Michigan’s defense, and unlike Ohio State, where there’s seemingly always another Bosa to succeed the first or a Chase Young to succeed that one, there’s not another All-American waiting in the wings. Safety Dax Hill was a significant loss, too. But the biggest of all was defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald, who came in last year and transformed that unit schematically to the point where it improved from 11th in the Big Ten in 2020 to third in 2021 (against conference opponents). He left after one season to go back to the Baltimore, and Jim Harbaugh is making a big bet that another John Harbaugh Ravens protégé, Jesse Minter, will come in and have the same effect.

I’ll give you this: Michigan will beat Colorado State, Hawaii and UConn to start 3-0. ButI could see Taliua Tagovailoa and the Maryland’s offense giving the Wolverines problems in Week 4, playing at Iowa is never easy, and Penn State and Michigan State come to Ann Arbor in October. I’d call it a big success if Michigan goes into Ohio State week with its division title hopes still intact.

It seems most everyone is surprised that ESPN would leave the Big Ten negotiations. However, wouldn’t that indicate competitors are over-valuing the middle/lower part of the Big Ten? While there’s no contesting Ohio State and Michigan are two of the biggest and most important brands in football (toss in USC as well), I just can’t see the value in televising middle-to-lower tier games in the Big Ten. Are the TV numbers really there for Rutgers-Illinois matchups? — Ryan S.

The simple answer: None of these networks are paying a dime for Rutgers-Illinois.

I can’t give you an exact number (it’s not like the contracts spell it out), but I’ve had sports TV experts tell me that Ohio State and Michigan alone account for at least a third of the Big Ten’s entire TV rights value. Based on the reported estimates of $1.2 billion for this new Fox/CBS/NBC deal, that amounts to $400 million a year for just those two schools. Add in Penn State and USC, and now you’re talking 25 percent of the new league generating about 60 percent of the revenue.

In Fox’s case in particular, it is paying primarily for those 13-ish Games of the Week that it will broadcast over the air and hope can bring in 4 million-plus viewers. All those FS1 games that draw more like 500,000 are essentially filler.

It’s hard to assess ESPN’s strategy without knowing the specifics of the package it was being offered, but even those No. 2 or 3 games now going to CBS and NBC are likely going to include at least one of Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State/USC/Michigan State/Wisconsin every week. If they don’t, then it means there’s a Top 25 matchup involving two of the other schools, and people will watch any game in which the teams have numbers in front of them.

As I’ve said before, the primary value of schools like Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois and Northwestern is in getting Big Ten Network on basic cable tiers in their populous cities and state and thus reaping a higher subscriber fee. But that’s an entirely separate revenue bucket than the (reported) $1.2 billion Tier 1 rights.

Is promotion and relegation the way forward? — Nathan J., Whitefish Bay, Wis.

I’ve been reading The Club, an excellent book about the birth of the Premier League, and the parallels to conference realignment are eerie. Still, I have no idea why people think college sports relegation is remotely realistic.

If you’re a professional club that gets relegated and suddenly loses tens of millions in league revenue overnight, your insanely rich owner can help cover the gap. Whereas if South Carolina suddenly got relegated from the SEC to the Sun Belt and saw its $50 million conference revenue drop to, say, $15 million — welp, there goes the soccer, tennis, swimming and track teams, not to mention a bunch of layoffs in the athletic department, probably a drastic cutback in health and academic services and firing a whole bunch of coaches and replacing them with cheaper ones.

Relegation: It’s all fun and games until you remember there are actual humans involved.

What is more impressive: Nick Saban only losing 25 games in his 15 years at Alabama, or Ohio State only losing 28 in that same time span under four coaches, including losing a program worst (7) in the Luke Fickell interim year? — Tim S.

First of all, that is an absolutely staggering stat (one I double-checked) that Ohio State — which has been fielding teams since 1890 —  has never lost more than seven games in a season. Just this century alone, Alabama went 3-8 (2000), Michigan went 3-9 (2008), Penn State went 3-9 (2003) and 4-7 (2004) and USC went 4-8 (2021). Texas has lost seven games five times just since 2010 (though in fairness, has not lost eight since 1938). Oklahoma has not lost more than five games in any season this century, but did have a couple of eight-loss clunkers in the mid-1990s.

What do you say we throw out both Fickell’s aberration season and Saban’s initial rebuilding season, in which Alabama went 7-6, and refine the parameters to: Alabama has only lost 19 games in Saban’s last 14 seasons, while Ohio State has lost just 21 in its last 14 “normal” seasons under Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer and Ryan Day. Both of which are insane accomplishments.

I’m going to give the nod to Saban, for this reason: Not a single one of those 19 losses would be considered a “bad” loss. Last year’s Texas A&M upset was his first loss to an unranked team since that debut 2007 season, and there’s only been one true blowout: to 15-0 Clemson in the 2018 national title game. Whereas the Buckeyes have some true eyesores among those 21 defeats – 41-14 to Florida in the 2006 national title game, 35-3 to USC in a No. 1 vs. No. 5 game in 2008 and, more inexplicably, 55-24 to unranked Iowa in 2017 and 49-20 to unranked Purdue in 2018.

And all this despite the fact Alabama, I think we can reasonably agree, plays a tougher conference schedule than Ohio State most seasons. Especially given how much of this stretch Michigan was not Michigan.

But let me just reiterate: Losing 21 just games in 14 seasons, no matter the scores, is still an astounding accomplishment. Woody Hayes, the most revered coach in school history, won 79.3 percent of his games and that’s still lower than Tressel (.808), Meyer (.931) and Day (.958). But, you asked me to pick one.

Why can’t we always play the national championship at the Rose Bowl? A West Coast setting allows for an equal playing field (Georgia vs. Oklahoma in 2018), and also, who doesn’t want to travel to SoCal in January? And the Rose Bowl would be able to keep its high prestige and give us the best game of the year every year. — Themanebro

I’d be all for it. I love the Rose Bowl.

But the Rose Bowl would still rather have a game on Jan. 1 at 5 p.m. ET.

Kentucky is ranked in the preseason and Tennessee is not. Is it crazy to think that Tennessee will be the substantially better team this fall? Sorry, but I am just not buying the Wildcats hype. — Scott N., Raleigh, N.C.

Scott, are you actually John Calipari?

That one puzzled me as well, until I realized that, oh yeah, Kentucky finished 10-3 last season and Tennessee 7-6. I didn’t remember them as being particularly far apart, and with good reason. The Vols beat the Wildcats last season, and they finished a game behind them in the SEC East standings. The difference is, Kentucky beat Iowa by a field goal in its bowl game while Tennessee lost by a field goal in overtime in its bowl game against Purdue. A couple of plays in one direction or the other and one’s 9-4, the other 8-5 and probably both ranked right now.

I still don’t think there’s much separating them, but I’m slightly higher on the Vols, who in fact finished 10th in SP+ last season to Kentucky’s 23rd. Both have very good quarterbacks returning — Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker and Kentucky’s Will Levis — but whereas Levis lost his heralded play-caller (Liam Coen) and top receiver (Wan’Dale Robinson), Hooker has continuity with the Josh Heupel/Alex Golesh offense and go-to big-play guy Cedric Tillman. I expect the Vols, which already averaged 39.3 points last season, to take another step forward on offense, while Kentucky, which averaged 31.8 points, takes a step back.

Now, obviously, a Mark Stoops defenses (the football version, not his Twitter account) are reliably physical and sound, whereas Heupel is known entirely as an offensive coach. Kentucky has some rebuilding to do up front, but linebackers DeAndre Square and Jacquez Jones and safety Tyrell Ajian are solid veterans. But believe it or not, Tennessee had a slightly higher-ranked defense (52nd) than Kentucky (61st) last season. That’s a bit deceiving, as the Vols allowed far more big plays and ranked 101st in allowing third-down conversions, but they at least showed they can slow down the run. I wouldn’t assume that unit will be terrible.

But preseason rankings are preseason rankings. If you’re betting win totals, Kentucky (8) is probably the safer pick than Tennessee (7.5) simply because of their schedules. The Vols play at Pitt in Week 2, have to visit defending national champion Georgia and get Alabama and LSU as its crossover foes. The Wildcats’ one notable nonconference foe is rival Louisville, and its West division opponents are Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Kentucky frankly should finish higher in the standings, but I’d have both of them ranked in the 15-20 range nationally.

Will Northwestern work to keep recruiting rival Stanford out of the Big Ten? — Kevin C., Evanston, Ill.

Kevin, you’ve got to learn to think like a university president. They don’t spend their days surfing football recruits’ profiles. I’m sure Northwestern’s president would be thrilled to share research grants and library books with his counterparts at Stanford.

Though it should be noted, Northwestern just last week hired away Oregon’s president. Read into that what you will.

What’s your opinion on the role of ESPN in college football? It’s almost becoming like the oil company monopolies when they owned everything from the wells to the pump. Should there be firewalls between some of their divisions to ensure that the investment they have in conference broadcasts isn’t driving their media reporting to pump up those conferences, teams and players? — John, Los Angeles

Current ESPN folks would tell you they absolutely have a separation of church and state between the studio side and the game broadcast side, while some former ESPN employees would tell you, “Yeah, right.” It’s TV 101 for a network to use its various broadcasts to cross-promote the others. It’s why you see relentless promos for Saturday’s games during the Thursday and Friday night games, why you then see relentless promos during the Saturday games for Tuesday night’s CFP rankings shows, and so on.

For all the consternation over whether ESPN will give the Big Ten its old NHL treatment on GameDay and SportsCenter, just think about the fact you will soon never see any of those commercials/graphics for any Big Ten team (unless it’s a nonconference game at one of the other leagues’ stadiums, like Penn State-Auburn this season).

But while I realize ESPN is seen as the big, bad empire running college football, none of its perceived “biases” (mainly toward the SEC) or influence over realignment comes close to what Fox has been doing for the Big Ten. I assure you, the Big Ten will continue getting more attention from ESPN than the SEC will from Fox, which presently gives it almost none. In highly unusual fashion, Fox’s own executives were sitting in on the conference’s recent negotiations with other networks like ESPN. And of course, the L.A.-based company had its fingerprints all over USC and UCLA’s move to the Big Ten.

The firewall at ESPN might be imperfect, but at least it exists. Fox, which is bringing back Urban Meyer as an analyst this season as if the whole Jacksonville thing never happened, does not care one iota about anything other than promoting the brands and programs on its own airwaves (the biggest of which is Ohio State). I’ll be curious to see what fans notice more come 2023: The Big Ten’s decreased presence on ESPN or the emergence of Big Ten Network 2.0 in Los Angeles, one with a much larger audience.

Hey, Stew! Are you going to Dublin to see your alma mater play? — Roy B.

I am not. But I figure there’s a good chance I’ll cover a game at Ohio State sometime this season, and Dublin is convenient to both the stadium and the airport.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Athletic: Mandel’s Mailbag: Is Texas 9-3 or 3-9? Will Michigan be 11-0 entering The Game?

Full Text

Reveal hidden contents

AUSTIN, TEXAS - SEPTEMBER 04: Bijan Robinson #5 of the Texas Longhorns reacts after a rushing touchdown in the second half against the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on September 04, 2021 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images)
By Stewart Mandel
3h ago

Hard to believe that just a week from Saturday, Northwestern and Nebraska will be teeing it up across the Atlantic. And yet you guys just want to keep talking about Big Ten expansion and TV deals.

Bruce (Feldman) has a bunch of defensive Wolverines on his Freaks List, and Michigan brings back a large part of its offense. I know the Wolverines have a new OC and DC, but looking at the schedule, I can’t help but think they should be 11-0 going into The Game. What do you see as Michigan’s ceiling this year? — Russell B., Austin, Texas

I admire your optimism, Russell, I really go, but if Michigan is 11-0 going into The Game I will fly to Ann Arbor, pick up Zingerman’s corned beef sandwiches for both of us, then fly to Austin to personally deliver yours. (If you’ll let me stay and watch the game.)

I don’t think the Wolverines will implode by any means. There’s no reason why they can’t build on last season’s breakthrough on offense, even without former offensive coordinator Josh Gattis. They should be able to pound the rock with Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards. I’m curious to see whether sophomore QB J.J. McCarthy plays a bigger role behind incumbent Cade McNamara. And getting back injured WR Ronnie Bell is big.

I’m more worried about the defense. Aidan Hutchinson was a truly special player who dramatically impacted Michigan’s defense, and unlike Ohio State, where there’s seemingly always another Bosa to succeed the first or a Chase Young to succeed that one, there’s not another All-American waiting in the wings. Safety Dax Hill was a significant loss, too. But the biggest of all was defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald, who came in last year and transformed that unit schematically to the point where it improved from 11th in the Big Ten in 2020 to third in 2021 (against conference opponents). He left after one season to go back to the Baltimore, and Jim Harbaugh is making a big bet that another John Harbaugh Ravens protégé, Jesse Minter, will come in and have the same effect.

I’ll give you this: Michigan will beat Colorado State, Hawaii and UConn to start 3-0. ButI could see Taliua Tagovailoa and the Maryland’s offense giving the Wolverines problems in Week 4, playing at Iowa is never easy, and Penn State and Michigan State come to Ann Arbor in October. I’d call it a big success if Michigan goes into Ohio State week with its division title hopes still intact.

It seems most everyone is surprised that ESPN would leave the Big Ten negotiations. However, wouldn’t that indicate competitors are over-valuing the middle/lower part of the Big Ten? While there’s no contesting Ohio State and Michigan are two of the biggest and most important brands in football (toss in USC as well), I just can’t see the value in televising middle-to-lower tier games in the Big Ten. Are the TV numbers really there for Rutgers-Illinois matchups? — Ryan S.

The simple answer: None of these networks are paying a dime for Rutgers-Illinois.

I can’t give you an exact number (it’s not like the contracts spell it out), but I’ve had sports TV experts tell me that Ohio State and Michigan alone account for at least a third of the Big Ten’s entire TV rights value. Based on the reported estimates of $1.2 billion for this new Fox/CBS/NBC deal, that amounts to $400 million a year for just those two schools. Add in Penn State and USC, and now you’re talking 25 percent of the new league generating about 60 percent of the revenue.

In Fox’s case in particular, it is paying primarily for those 13-ish Games of the Week that it will broadcast over the air and hope can bring in 4 million-plus viewers. All those FS1 games that draw more like 500,000 are essentially filler.

It’s hard to assess ESPN’s strategy without knowing the specifics of the package it was being offered, but even those No. 2 or 3 games now going to CBS and NBC are likely going to include at least one of Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State/USC/Michigan State/Wisconsin every week. If they don’t, then it means there’s a Top 25 matchup involving two of the other schools, and people will watch any game in which the teams have numbers in front of them.

As I’ve said before, the primary value of schools like Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois and Northwestern is in getting Big Ten Network on basic cable tiers in their populous cities and state and thus reaping a higher subscriber fee. But that’s an entirely separate revenue bucket than the (reported) $1.2 billion Tier 1 rights.

I’ve been reading The Club, an excellent book about the birth of the Premier League, and the parallels to conference realignment are eerie. Still, I have no idea why people think college sports relegation is remotely realistic.

If you’re a professional club that gets relegated and suddenly loses tens of millions in league revenue overnight, your insanely rich owner can help cover the gap. Whereas if South Carolina suddenly got relegated from the SEC to the Sun Belt and saw its $50 million conference revenue drop to, say, $15 million — welp, there goes the soccer, tennis, swimming and track teams, not to mention a bunch of layoffs in the athletic department, probably a drastic cutback in health and academic services and firing a whole bunch of coaches and replacing them with cheaper ones.

Relegation: It’s all fun and games until you remember there are actual humans involved.

What is more impressive: Nick Saban only losing 25 games in his 15 years at Alabama, or Ohio State only losing 28 in that same time span under four coaches, including losing a program worst (7) in the Luke Fickell interim year? — Tim S.

First of all, that is an absolutely staggering stat (one I double-checked) that Ohio State — which has been fielding teams since 1890 —  has never lost more than seven games in a season. Just this century alone, Alabama went 3-8 (2000), Michigan went 3-9 (2008), Penn State went 3-9 (2003) and 4-7 (2004) and USC went 4-8 (2021). Texas has lost seven games five times just since 2010 (though in fairness, has not lost eight since 1938). Oklahoma has not lost more than five games in any season this century, but did have a couple of eight-loss clunkers in the mid-1990s.

What do you say we throw out both Fickell’s aberration season and Saban’s initial rebuilding season, in which Alabama went 7-6, and refine the parameters to: Alabama has only lost 19 games in Saban’s last 14 seasons, while Ohio State has lost just 21 in its last 14 “normal” seasons under Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer and Ryan Day. Both of which are insane accomplishments.

I’m going to give the nod to Saban, for this reason: Not a single one of those 19 losses would be considered a “bad” loss. Last year’s Texas A&M upset was his first loss to an unranked team since that debut 2007 season, and there’s only been one true blowout: to 15-0 Clemson in the 2018 national title game. Whereas the Buckeyes have some true eyesores among those 21 defeats – 41-14 to Florida in the 2006 national title game, 35-3 to USC in a No. 1 vs. No. 5 game in 2008 and, more inexplicably, 55-24 to unranked Iowa in 2017 and 49-20 to unranked Purdue in 2018.

And all this despite the fact Alabama, I think we can reasonably agree, plays a tougher conference schedule than Ohio State most seasons. Especially given how much of this stretch Michigan was not Michigan.

But let me just reiterate: Losing 21 just games in 14 seasons, no matter the scores, is still an astounding accomplishment. Woody Hayes, the most revered coach in school history, won 79.3 percent of his games and that’s still lower than Tressel (.808), Meyer (.931) and Day (.958). But, you asked me to pick one.

Why can’t we always play the national championship at the Rose Bowl? A West Coast setting allows for an equal playing field (Georgia vs. Oklahoma in 2018), and also, who doesn’t want to travel to SoCal in January? And the Rose Bowl would be able to keep its high prestige and give us the best game of the year every year. — Themanebro

Kentucky is ranked in the preseason and Tennessee is not. Is it crazy to think that Tennessee will be the substantially better team this fall? Sorry, but I am just not buying the Wildcats hype. — Scott N., Raleigh, N.C.

That one puzzled me as well, until I realized that, oh yeah, Kentucky finished 10-3 last season and Tennessee 7-6. I didn’t remember them as being particularly far apart, and with good reason. The Vols beat the Wildcats last season, and they finished a game behind them in the SEC East standings. The difference is, Kentucky beat Iowa by a field goal in its bowl game while Tennessee lost by a field goal in overtime in its bowl game against Purdue. A couple of plays in one direction or the other and one’s 9-4, the other 8-5 and probably both ranked right now.

I still don’t think there’s much separating them, but I’m slightly higher on the Vols, who in fact finished 10th in SP+ last season to Kentucky’s 23rd. Both have very good quarterbacks returning — Tennessee’s Hendon Hooker and Kentucky’s Will Levis — but whereas Levis lost his heralded play-caller (Liam Coen) and top receiver (Wan’Dale Robinson), Hooker has continuity with the Josh Heupel/Alex Golesh offense and go-to big-play guy Cedric Tillman. I expect the Vols, which already averaged 39.3 points last season, to take another step forward on offense, while Kentucky, which averaged 31.8 points, takes a step back.

Now, obviously, a Mark Stoops defenses (the football version, not his Twitter account) are reliably physical and sound, whereas Heupel is known entirely as an offensive coach. Kentucky has some rebuilding to do up front, but linebackers DeAndre Square and Jacquez Jones and safety Tyrell Ajian are solid veterans. But believe it or not, Tennessee had a slightly higher-ranked defense (52nd) than Kentucky (61st) last season. That’s a bit deceiving, as the Vols allowed far more big plays and ranked 101st in allowing third-down conversions, but they at least showed they can slow down the run. I wouldn’t assume that unit will be terrible.

But preseason rankings are preseason rankings. If you’re betting win totals, Kentucky (8) is probably the safer pick than Tennessee (7.5) simply because of their schedules. The Vols play at Pitt in Week 2, have to visit defending national champion Georgia and get Alabama and LSU as its crossover foes. The Wildcats’ one notable nonconference foe is rival Louisville, and its West division opponents are Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Kentucky frankly should finish higher in the standings, but I’d have both of them ranked in the 15-20 range nationally.

Will Northwestern work to keep recruiting rival Stanford out of the Big Ten? — Kevin C., Evanston, Ill.

Kevin, you’ve got to learn to think like a university president. They don’t spend their days surfing football recruits’ profiles. I’m sure Northwestern’s president would be thrilled to share research grants and library books with his counterparts at Stanford.

Though it should be noted, Northwestern just last week hired away Oregon’s president. Read into that what you will.

What’s your opinion on the role of ESPN in college football? It’s almost becoming like the oil company monopolies when they owned everything from the wells to the pump. Should there be firewalls between some of their divisions to ensure that the investment they have in conference broadcasts isn’t driving their media reporting to pump up those conferences, teams and players? — John, Los Angeles

Current ESPN folks would tell you they absolutely have a separation of church and state between the studio side and the game broadcast side, while some former ESPN employees would tell you, “Yeah, right.” It’s TV 101 for a network to use its various broadcasts to cross-promote the others. It’s why you see relentless promos for Saturday’s games during the Thursday and Friday night games, why you then see relentless promos during the Saturday games for Tuesday night’s CFP rankings shows, and so on.

For all the consternation over whether ESPN will give the Big Ten its old NHL treatment on GameDay and SportsCenter, just think about the fact you will soon never see any of those commercials/graphics for any Big Ten team (unless it’s a nonconference game at one of the other leagues’ stadiums, like Penn State-Auburn this season).

But while I realize ESPN is seen as the big, bad empire running college football, none of its perceived “biases” (mainly toward the SEC) or influence over realignment comes close to what Fox has been doing for the Big Ten. I assure you, the Big Ten will continue getting more attention from ESPN than the SEC will from Fox, which presently gives it almost none. In highly unusual fashion, Fox’s own executives were sitting in on the conference’s recent negotiations with other networks like ESPN. And of course, the L.A.-based company had its fingerprints all over USC and UCLA’s move to the Big Ten.

The firewall at ESPN might be imperfect, but at least it exists. Fox, which is bringing back Urban Meyer as an analyst this season as if the whole Jacksonville thing never happened, does not care one iota about anything other than promoting the brands and programs on its own airwaves (the biggest of which is Ohio State). I’ll be curious to see what fans notice more come 2023: The Big Ten’s decreased presence on ESPN or the emergence of Big Ten Network 2.0 in Los Angeles, one with a much larger audience.

I am not. But I figure there’s a good chance I’ll cover a game at Ohio State sometime this season, and Dublin is convenient to both the stadium and the airport.

Didn't Mandel at one point project us as the Big 12 champ last year after a couple of weeks?

18 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Every year's the same...

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Then the season starts and suddenly majority of the fall practice reports turn out to be very biased and incorrect.

No matter how you slice things, our OL will be better, our running game will be better, our defense will be better. Our QB play just needs more consistency and questions at kicker won't matter.  This season can't come soon enough.  Sark can win with either QB but I don't think he'll be able to pass up on Ewer's deep ball ability vs Cards.

Agreed. But questions at kicker always matter. 

Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to Ron McKelvey. 

Regarding an earlier poster’s comment that it will be funny seeing the defense be better, that would be wrong. It would be glorious and I’d weep openly with joy. 

I am skeptical of Watts being very successful. 

It’s bizarre hearing about so many QB int’s at the scrimmage, but I think both will play pretty well. Not great but hopefully better than any QB last year. 

Don’t put Thompson back to return kicks. We need WR depth. Can’t afford an injury. 

For years we’ve had a roster with little talent, as demonstrated by NFL draft results. This team has a lot of potential talent, and in the end better talent wins. I think the team will be better than many are estimating, but not great because they are too young. 8-4. 

Hutson was my sleeper of this class and he’s already showing promise. He just seemed like a player. 

Slow down on Burke. He’s two years away from meaningful impact imo. Hope I’m wrong because we need talent there. 

Success or massive failure this season will be determined by whether one of our QB’s gets their act together because the protection will be better than last year. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

I think the "6-6 is our ceiling" crowd is forgetting what our schedule looks like and the state of the big 12.

ULM - Has won 9 games in the past three seasons
Alabama - Is Alabama.
UTSA - Are coming off their most successful* season, but lost loads of talent.
@ Texas Tech - Breaking in a brand new coaching staff and first time college head coach.
West Virginia - They picked up JT Daniels, but lost a ton of depth on defense.
Oklahoma - Breaking in a new coaching staff and Quarterback. I legitimately have no idea what to expect from them this year.
Iowa State - Lost Hall, Purdy, and Kolar
@ Oklahoma State - They are mostly the same team. Will likely compete for the Big 12 title.
@ Kansas State - They have Deuce Vaughn, but they're breaking in Adrian Martinez as their QB.
TCU - New Coaching staff. Lost their most valuable offensive weapon in Zach Evans.
@ Kansas - Is Kansas
Baylor - Defending Big 12 champs, but lost significant talent on their defense.

Texas is young. It has inexperience. But so does most of the Big 12 this season. Texas only has 4 true away games this season and two of those are at the Kansas schools.

Even with all the inexperience, it's reasonable to assume that Texas will be favored against: ULM, UTSA, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU, and Kansas. Of that group of games, Tech and Kansas State are probably the biggest toss ups because Lubbock is a difficult place to play in, and Kansas State reasonably has the talent to beat us.

We're probably going to lose a game or two we shouldn't lose (see Tech, KSU, TCU, or Iowa State). But we're also probably going to win a game or two we shouldn't win as well (Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, or Baylor.)

There is a path for 8 wins on this schedule. Even with the youth of this team. Even with the reports of one rough scrimmage and one "grandma's cookies without the secret ingredients" public practice.

This team could absolutely falter to 6-6. They might even miss a bowl game. That's all very true and on the table as of right now.

But to act like 6-6 is the ceiling is being ignorant of the schedule and the state of the conference.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

Full Text

Hide contents

By Stewart Mandel
3h ago

Probably one of the fairest assessments of our team I’ve read yet

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to Ron McKelvey. 

Regarding an earlier poster’s comment that it will be funny seeing the defense be better, that would be wrong. It would be glorious and I’d weep openly with joy. 

I am skeptical of Watts being very successful. 

It’s bizarre hearing about so many QB int’s at the scrimmage, but I think both will play pretty well. Not great but hopefully better than any QB last year. 

Don’t put Thompson back to return kicks. We need WR depth. Can’t afford an injury. 

For years we’ve had a roster with little talent, as demonstrated by NFL draft results. This team has a lot of potential talent, and in the end better talent wins. I think the team will be better than many are estimating, but not great because they are too young. 8-4. 

Hutson was my sleeper of this class and he’s already showing promise. He just seemed like a player. 

Slow down on Burke. He’s two years away from meaningful impact imo. Hope I’m wrong because we need talent there. 

Success or massive failure this season will be determined by whether one of our QB’s gets their act together because the protection will be better than last year. 

I think people are seeing way too much into these practices and practice reports. In a real game, there will be a game plan, not just "running plays". We have seen Sark game plan and it seems he is very good at it. When you initiate and execute a game plan, you will see a much different offense. In practice, they are running scenarios, the defense essentially knows what is coming in a sense.

I would like to imagine, a basic game plan would be pound it with Bijan and crew followed by RPO and PA pass over the top. Mixed in will be specially designed plays to get other playmakers involved/isolated in winnable situations. 

I just feel the product on the field will be much different offensively. It also seems that if this team gets behind or put in a tough spot we are fucked. We are a young, fast thoroughbred that needs to run out front and doesn't like tight quarters. We need to get out of the gate fast and keep running.

Just my opinion, what do I know.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

“Tuesday’s practice featured no blocking or tackling to the ground“

So same as the 2021 season. 

30 minutes ago, NoName said:

Full Text

Reveal hidden contents

By Stewart Mandel
3h ago

Day Valentine GIF

• Haha 5

I know there are 20+ practices in camp, but I can honestly say after watching a 90 minute dumbed down version of practice that a team coming off a 5-7 season isn’t ready to take the field against Alabama tomorrow and will need to make some improvements.

Again, just my honest assessment. If I had to bet, I don’t think this team is going 12-0 IMVHO.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I know there are 20+ practices in camp, but I can honestly say after watching a 90 minute dumbed down version of practice that a team coming off a 5-7 season isn’t ready to take the field against Alabama tomorrow and will need to make some improvements.

Again, just my honest assessment. If I had to bet, I don’t think this team is going 12-0 IMVHO.

There isn't 1/2 a dozen teams ready to take the field against Alabama.

• Like 1

Gerry Hamilton on the freshmen last night

Spoiler

Austin, Texas – The Texas Longhorns held an open practice Tuesday night with a number of members of the freshmen class flashing talent.

Inside Texas had the practice covered from all angles. Let’s dive into the freshmen class.

Ethan Burke batting lead off

The name that wouldn’t have been listed as first mentioned Tuesday day night is EDGE Ethan Burke. The 6-foot-6.5, 240-pounder caught my attention when he repped with the 2s initially off the edge ahead of fellow freshman J’Mond Tapp. Burke certainly looks like a freshman physically, as his long limbed frame will take time to fill out. But he does take on contact like a player brand new to college football. He understands how to use his length and create leverage against the run. The ability to stand up in the run game is the key, because he provide help off the edge with his foot quickness and overall athleticism. When Burke took situational reps with the 1s late in practice, it’s fully understood that he is ahead of schedule. 

This is where senior evaluation and recruiting through the whistle is so important.

Kelvin Banks is your LT

Kelvin Banks will be the starting left tackle for the Longhorns this season. That was prediction headed into the season, and nothing has changed. Banks ran with the 1s the entire night. The On300 No. 6 ranked overall and 5-star recruit came to Texas ahead in pass pro being very well coached/prepared by lifetime Longhorns Kenny Harrisonat Summer Creek High. Banks is showing that he has the chance to be devastating in the run game in a Texas uniform as Bobby Burton wrote this morning. Let’s be clear, Banks will have freshman moments. He will give up a sack, he will miss a twist or stunt. That’s all part of the game and growing process. But Banks being on the field and growing on the job as quick as possible will make the Texas program better in the long run, and ready to rock and roll when this freshman class becomes sophomores. 

Devon “DJ” Campbell 

Former On3 Consensus 5-star Devon Campbell started at right guard last night in place of the injured Cole Hutson. And that is a great thing. Campbell is the best pure athlete of a freshman class of offensive lineman that will end up with several names heard in future NFL drafts. The former Arlington Bowie star had a big learning curve ahead of him being a summer enrollee. That’s because he was a high school left tackle and defensive tackle. And now he’s learning to play guard, while learning a new playbook and calls all while facing grown men on the interior every snap. That’s is a tough transition than given credit for by many. What Campbell is proving is that he is up to the task physically. Now it’s about continuing to rep, and get comfortable with the fast moving college game from snap to snap. 

Cameron Williams and fellow freshmen OL’s

The same prediction is being made of Cameron Williams that was of Banks, with a slightly different timeline. Williams will take over the right tackle spot at some point this season. That’s my prediction. He’s too much of a mover in the run game. He’s different. There were times Tuesday night when his initial contact on fellow freshman Justice Finkley absolutely stopped him in his tracks. Williams has contact power, and plenty of it. His pop is creating a three yard surge on a stretch play. More than ideal. Pass protection is where he has to make strides. Not in the physical tools part of it, necessarily. But protecting the B-gap with understanding. That part of the game is still moving fast. But it’s just a matter of time until Williams is a starter. 

Williams has the size and upside that brings back memories of Leonard Davis and Mike Williams on the Forty Acres. 

The second team offensive line last was Williams at right tackle, Neto Umeozuluright guard, Connor Robertson at center and Malik Agbo at left guard. 

Savion Red and Brenen Thompson

Savion Red continues to be ahead of schedule at slot receiver. Red has the running back body build, and that will be key for his future. He’s not going to win on initial burst, acceleration and speed down the field. Red going to win on being a football player, pure and simple. He’s going to make tough catches in traffic, with the ability to break tackle one and arm tackles the key for his maximization after the catch. He has to be a running back after the catch, and he has that mentality as a player. He will help the Longhorns this season. Red wanting to beat the man lined up against him is just what the program needs more of. That competitiveness and frame set up nearly perfectly for the punt return game. 

One important note on Red with comparisons. Quan Cosby and Red will be a comparison made plenty because of frame. Cosby had quicker feet and more lateral quickness. Red has more lower body strength naturally. 

Brenen Thompson’s speed is different than anyone else on the Texas roster at receiver. His ability to race past coverage and make a defensive coordinator take note of that possibility will get him on the field this season. He has the ability to score a handful of touchdowns in a way his peers can’t this season. There is work ahead of him to maximize, however. He has to work back to the ball more (Xavier Worthy is tremendous at this) to not have as many contested catch situations until he adds needed strength to his frame. And he has to learn to catch the ball away from his body more consistently with arms extended. Being a jack-of-all-trades player in small town football, this is not a surprise. Thompson’s speed will also show up in the kick off return game this season. 

Notes on other freshmen

Terrance Brooks looked smooth and quick in cornerback drills. He has the longest arms of any defensive back in the program. Brooks will play, and be a factor for the Longhorns. 

Jaray Bledsoe is one of the very best looking players in the program on the hoof. He has maintained around 265 pounds while adding muscle/strength to his frame. His twitch is different than many on the roster along the defensive front. He has to learn to have more snap anticipation to maximize that. Give this guy time to develop, but the ceiling is certainly there. 

J’Mond Tapp is similar to Bledsoe in that his best football is way out in front of him. Tapp has the twitch and foot quickness that could develop into what the program needs off the edge. 

Maalik Murphy is undergoing a mechanics overhaul. Steve Sarkisianand A.J. Milwee are obviously working diligently with the 6-foot-5, 230-pounder to tighten his release quite a bit. His arm action was way too long and inconsistent for a pocket passer coming out of high school. That overhaul is creating some hesitancy and mechanical look about it right now. His arm strength is being hidden, or was Tuesday night, due to the overhaul. Murphy will be fun to follow to see if he can take the arm action/release change to the field after some seasoning and let it go with confidence. Not thinking, but playing and reacting. That will be the key.

18 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

There is no face to be saved if nobody is paying attention to you in the first place.

I'm actually enjoying the doom n gloom in here because when we have been riding high on optimism..it comes crashing down around us.  We are going to have a good season.

31 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I think people are seeing way too much into these practices and practice reports. In a real game, there will be a game plan, not just "running plays". We have seen Sark game plan and it seems he is very good at it. When you initiate and execute a game plan, you will see a much different offense. In practice, they are running scenarios, the defense essentially knows what is coming in a sense.

I would like to imagine, a basic game plan would be pound it with Bijan and crew followed by RPO and PA pass over the top. Mixed in will be specially designed plays to get other playmakers involved/isolated in winnable situations. 

I just feel the product on the field will be much different offensively. It also seems that if this team gets behind or put in a tough spot we are fucked. We are a young, fast thoroughbred that needs to run out front and doesn't like tight quarters. We need to get out of the gate fast and keep running.

Just my opinion, what do I know.

Exactly this. I get that neither QB has stood out, and we all want this battle to be over. When we get to a real game, where the defense has to worry about an offense that isn't running basic plays, that they've seen thousands of times in practice, and having to stop the #1 RB in the nation and the QBs have receivers running against single coverage because the defense is loading the box, we will see different results. But then Surly gonna be  Surly. JFC. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

You watched that video just now and still believe Card has some redeemable qualities? Why in the fuck did he throw that ball? Lol. If he’s just fucking around then he’s a fucking idiot because he’s about to be replaced by a freshman, but it’s more likely that’s how he responds to pressure because he hears footsteps. He’s got the yips, it is what it is at this point.  

IMO, he had the OL back pedaling all over him and he was stumbling and tripping all over them and should have just thrown the damned ball away.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I expect to be 2-1 after our first 3 games. I don’t give a flying fuck how good ULM and UTSA were or should be. We shouldn’t lose either rod those games.

ULM is terrible, We will win convincingly. UTSA is good, but we will win. Alabama is Alabama, they will win convincingly. The first 3 games of the season are the easiest to predict this year 

11 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

No joke, I still can't believe this is an opinion by someone who is ostensibly paid a lot of money to write about college football

lol... yeah Mandels a joke. I thought it was pretty clear Manning wanted to go to a place he could sit at least a year.  Plus with NIL today as a #1 recuit.. why would you want to play first year??

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

ULM is terrible, We will win convincingly. UTSA is good, but we will win. Alabama is Alabama, they will win convincingly. The first 3 games of the season are the easiest to predict this year 

Which might end up being a good thing. Allows us to figure some things out before the unknowns on the schedule.

3 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

If you want optimism, check out this 24/7 post from a practice observer:

Hide contents

The offense isn’t bad at all………….the defense is just really good! Yep, the defense is really good! The combination of players the defense has is the difference, but where Texas is going to shine is the secondary. Texas’ secondary looks and plays like an old TCU lock up D. They are grabby, physical, and they can hang with speed receivers, and shifty receivers. 

The biggest takeaway from the defense is how physical they are, I mean, they are physical. I will warn you right now, Texas will see some PI penalties this year, but that will be just fine, as they will win there share of battles. 

Prime

Example was Watts on Worthy. Worthy finally get free to make a catch on a crosser, but Watts harassed the man for his first 6-7 steps and then stayed in pocket even after Worthy made the catch. 

- OL wasn’t bad, Banks has supplanted Karic, it’s obvious and it ain’t close. The line is pretty physical and the freshman do bring an edge. But……I have one issue with the OL….. someone has to overtake Majors, it’s bad! Sweat, Murphy, and Broughton dogged this guy when ever they wanted to, it’s crazy we don’t have a better option there, especially since Angilau is out for the season. 

- X had a bad practice, multiple drops, including a TD in the end zone from Ewers in 11 on 11. But he’ll bounce back. 

Savion Red will be the starting slot receiver by season end. It looks like they will move Whit to the boundary (Neyor’s spot) and have Milton and Savion in the slot. Milton is seasoned but Red will be a star there. 

Thompson is fast, but those DB’s stayed with him! 

- TE’s looked good in the run game, and exceptional in the pass game, even though they didn’t show the real offense. 

- Bijan looks more electric! Seriously, Bijan looks a step quicker and his cuts are crisp and deadly. 

- And now for the QB’s………… it’s Ewers. Card is the same QB that we saw last year; if it’s an RPO where he can throw it to his first read, he’s money. Or if it’s a deep shot call and he can just let it go he’s 50/50. Anything where he has to process and or sit it looks bad! As for Ewers, he picked up bad habits on the camp circuit, that he’s paying for now. The same things that I saw from him that made me say Maalik will be better are the things keeping the competition close with Card. Ewers throws non-committed balls some times; I’ll explain. Instead of stepping in and committing to the throw, EVERY SINGLE TIME, sometimes he just throws it over to the receiver, just like he use to do in camp settings. It’s the thing holding him back, Ewers has to learn that every ball that leaves his hands has to have a purpose. Besides that, it’s Ewers. Even the one highlight throw Card had to Brennan, in a real game situation that’s an incomplete. 1. Watts would have rose up and contested the ball or 2. Thompson would have blown him up, they were both right there on the post route. 

Also, int’s are not all equal. The picks that Card and Ewers threw in 1 on 1’s and the half field read drills are not real picks. In those drills they have to throw the ball. WR slips, throw the ball! They have the play sniffed out because its 3 defenders to 2 WR/TE’s, throw the ball! Those are not real picks as in a game situation they would go to the next read or run. Ewers had 1 true pick that bounced off a receivers hand, still his fault cause it was a bad ball in 11 on 11. Card had 2 true picks. One that would have been a pick 6 to Jamison and one that Watts read perfectly which would have also been a pick 6. 

- DTD is legit, saw him one shoulder slip blockers (a thing of beauty) to fill the hole and make plays. He will be the defenses unsung hero.

- Ovie will lead the team in sacks, he’s the edge we deserve. He’s ready

- Overshown will cause all types of havoc for teams, can’t wait to see it. 

- Again, the defense will be a top 15-25 group! They are kinda nasty! The DL is in a great position, and Bo is finally playing with the right guys. Backup reps for Coburn and Ojomo, music to my ears. As I stated earlier, Murphy is gonna be a problem, and if they really run this 3 man line with Murphy, Broughton, and Sweat, good luck!

Defense will be top 15!!!!!!!!!!!

Given that we know that the Texas 247 posters are collectively the dumbest pack of rubes in Longhorn Netdom, this is a bizarre thing to paste here. Who is the poster? I seriously can’t think of one from that site with whom I’d read their handle and think “man, I got to see his take.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

- Again, the defense will be a top 15-25 group! They are kinda nasty! The DL is in a great position, and Bo is finally playing with the right guys. Backup reps for Coburn and Ojomo, music to my ears. As I stated earlier, Murphy is gonna be a problem, and if they really run this 3 man line with Murphy, Broughton, and Sweat, good luck!

This is aggy as hell. The cognitive dissonance required to state and believe this paragraph is staggering (and I’m actually optimistic defense will be better than last season). 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Given that we know that the Texas 247 posters are collectively the dumbest pack of rubes in Longhorn Netdom, this is a bizarre thing to paste here. Who is the poster? I seriously can’t think of one from that site with whom I’d read their handle and think “man, I got to see his take.”

Hello darkness my old friend.  

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Reveal hidden contents

The offense isn’t bad at all………….the defense is just really good! Yep, the defense is really good! The combination of players the defense has is the difference, but where Texas is going to shine is the secondary. Texas’ secondary looks and plays like an old TCU lock up D. They are grabby, physical, and they can hang with speed receivers, and shifty receivers. 

The biggest takeaway from the defense is how physical they are, I mean, they are physical. I will warn you right now, Texas will see some PI penalties this year, but that will be just fine, as they will win there share of battles. 

Prime

Example was Watts on Worthy. Worthy finally get free to make a catch on a crosser, but Watts harassed the man for his first 6-7 steps and then stayed in pocket even after Worthy made the catch. 

- OL wasn’t bad, Banks has supplanted Karic, it’s obvious and it ain’t close. The line is pretty physical and the freshman do bring an edge. But……I have one issue with the OL….. someone has to overtake Majors, it’s bad! Sweat, Murphy, and Broughton dogged this guy when ever they wanted to, it’s crazy we don’t have a better option there, especially since Angilau is out for the season. 

- X had a bad practice, multiple drops, including a TD in the end zone from Ewers in 11 on 11. But he’ll bounce back. 

Savion Red will be the starting slot receiver by season end. It looks like they will move Whit to the boundary (Neyor’s spot) and have Milton and Savion in the slot. Milton is seasoned but Red will be a star there. 

- TE’s looked good in the run game, and exceptional in the pass game, even though they didn’t show the real offense. 

- Bijan looks more electric! Seriously, Bijan looks a step quicker and his cuts are crisp and deadly. 

- And now for the QB’s………… it’s Ewers. Card is the same QB that we saw last year; if it’s an RPO where he can throw it to his first read, he’s money. Or if it’s a deep shot call and he can just let it go he’s 50/50. Anything where he has to process and or sit it looks bad! As for Ewers, he picked up bad habits on the camp circuit, that he’s paying for now. The same things that I saw from him that made me say Maalik will be better are the things keeping the competition close with Card. Ewers throws non-committed balls some times; I’ll explain. Instead of stepping in and committing to the throw, EVERY SINGLE TIME, sometimes he just throws it over to the receiver, just like he use to do in camp settings. It’s the thing holding him back, Ewers has to learn that every ball that leaves his hands has to have a purpose. Besides that, it’s Ewers. Even the one highlight throw Card had to Brennan, in a real game situation that’s an incomplete. 1. Watts would have rose up and contested the ball or 2. Thompson would have blown him up, they were both right there on the post route. 

Also, int’s are not all equal. The picks that Card and Ewers threw in 1 on 1’s and the half field read drills are not real picks. In those drills they have to throw the ball. WR slips, throw the ball! They have the play sniffed out because its 3 defenders to 2 WR/TE’s, throw the ball! Those are not real picks as in a game situation they would go to the next read or run. Ewers had 1 true pick that bounced off a receivers hand, still his fault cause it was a bad ball in 11 on 11. Card had 2 true picks. One that would have been a pick 6 to Jamison and one that Watts read perfectly which would have also been a pick 6. 

- DTD is legit, saw him one shoulder slip blockers (a thing of beauty) to fill the hole and make plays. He will be the defenses unsung hero.

fuck it

the-simpsons-donut.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Hide contents

Prime

this is terrible. Texas can not start a QB that does not throw a "committed ball". Going to have to start Card. Card will throw that ball and stay with it for 10 years. 

Edited by Codaxx

Box scores certainly look better than the eye test. For instance his QBR against WVU is basically the same as the ULL game.

Sometimes. Against ULL he was avoiding the free rusher. Against Arky his WRs were doing him no favors, and dropped one easy TD pass early on.

He looked much worse as the season progressed from what I recall.

19 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

There is just no way this is true. I’d love to be wrong about it, but I’m fairly certain we had the worst defense in school history last year, so this type of turn around would be pretty unprecedented. GP is only an analyst but apparently our guys who couldn’t take proper angles, couldn’t shed blocks, and couldn’t be trusted in man to man coverage have flipped the magic defense switch? Again- I wish that were true, I just have a hard time buying in