2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

34 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

IMO, he had the OL back pedaling all over him and he was stumbling and tripping all over them and should have just thrown the damned ball away.

The OL got caved in, but that is when his problems arise. For him to be tossing a no look pass over the line into the middle of the field at this point in his career is completely unacceptable. There are going to be some moments this year where he has to work his way out of the wash, and he has never shown the ability to be able to do that. As soon as defenses key into this, they are going to just blitz the shit out of us all game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So some are saying it was the worst practice they have witnessed since 1998.

Some are saying it’s just practice and it won’t matter come game time. Some are just flat out disregarding everything that they don’t want to hear or read.

Some think we can win the Big 12 and some think we will be lucky to get a bowl bid. Some people are wondering why a new coach can come into to other programs and get tangible results in year 2-3. Some still blame Mack Brown. Some people are confused why we can’t put it together with top 10-20 recruiting classes year over year. Roof, ceiling, floor, basement…

some think it’s realistic given what has been seen so far that it will be a frustrating and depressing season. Others think those people are gaping vaginas.

I think you can say we are masochists. But I also think you can say we are far tougher than most fans. I’m proud I’m not completely numb at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Sometimes. Against ULL he was avoiding the free rusher. Against Arky his WRs were doing him no favors, and dropped one easy TD pass early on.

He looked much worse as the season progressed from what I recall.

Not exactly true. He was looking solid versus WVU until they rolled his leg. That was unfortunate for him.

A few more practices notes from IT

More news and notes from Tuesday evening’s open football practice at DKR.

*Running back Jonathon Brooks missed the open practice on Tuesday due to an illness, according to sources. Freshman offensive lineman Cole Hutson suffered a concussion in Saturday’s scrimmage, but should be back in another week. Running back Roschon Johnson was in pads, and flats, and did not participate in practice. Neither did Troy Omeire or Jaden Alexis, both being cautious after off-season surgeries.

*Jamier Johnson looked solid on Tuesday, including some run with the 1s opposite D’Shawn Jamison and an interception. His physical tools are developing for the Cali-bred corner.

*Jaylan Ford had a quiet evening, then made a few plays including an interception during 1s v 1s in the later portion. Diamonte Tucker Dorsey did the same.

*Jerrin Thompson had a pair of pass breakups, with one being a great play on tight end J’Tavion Sanders. He played free and boundary safety on Tuesday. JD Coffey added a few breakups.

*Casey Cain was in a green non-contact jersey but looked good. Per a source, he’s tough to jam at the line and he has great hands and is good on deep balls because of hands and ball skills. He’s not the strongest route runner and doesn’t consistently create separation.

*Tarique Milton will produce in 2022. The Iowa State transfer played all over the field on Tuesday, including a set with him at the slot, Jordan Whittington at X and Xavier Worthy at Z. Milton made a handful of tough grabs as the team tries to replace Isaiah Neyor in the aggregate. Savion Red had a few snags and a few drops as well.

*Vernon Broughton brought it, Ethan Burke flashed, but Byron Murphy might’ve been the best defensive player on the night. In 5-on-5 drills, Murphy routinely got passed the offensive line, including double-teams. Murphy is becoming more important by the day. Burke might have the most natural pass-rushing potential in the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

If you want optimism, check out this 24/7 post from a practice observer:

Hide contents

The offense isn’t bad at all………….the defense is just really good! Yep, the defense is really good! The combination of players the defense has is the difference, but where Texas is going to shine is the secondary. Texas’ secondary looks and plays like an old TCU lock up D. They are grabby, physical, and they can hang with speed receivers, and shifty receivers. 

The biggest takeaway from the defense is how physical they are, I mean, they are physical. I will warn you right now, Texas will see some PI penalties this year, but that will be just fine, as they will win there share of battles. 

Prime

Example was Watts on Worthy. Worthy finally get free to make a catch on a crosser, but Watts harassed the man for his first 6-7 steps and then stayed in pocket even after Worthy made the catch. 

- OL wasn’t bad, Banks has supplanted Karic, it’s obvious and it ain’t close. The line is pretty physical and the freshman do bring an edge. But……I have one issue with the OL….. someone has to overtake Majors, it’s bad! Sweat, Murphy, and Broughton dogged this guy when ever they wanted to, it’s crazy we don’t have a better option there, especially since Angilau is out for the season. 

- X had a bad practice, multiple drops, including a TD in the end zone from Ewers in 11 on 11. But he’ll bounce back. 

Savion Red will be the starting slot receiver by season end. It looks like they will move Whit to the boundary (Neyor’s spot) and have Milton and Savion in the slot. Milton is seasoned but Red will be a star there. 

Thompson is fast, but those DB’s stayed with him! 

- TE’s looked good in the run game, and exceptional in the pass game, even though they didn’t show the real offense. 

- Bijan looks more electric! Seriously, Bijan looks a step quicker and his cuts are crisp and deadly. 

- And now for the QB’s………… it’s Ewers. Card is the same QB that we saw last year; if it’s an RPO where he can throw it to his first read, he’s money. Or if it’s a deep shot call and he can just let it go he’s 50/50. Anything where he has to process and or sit it looks bad! As for Ewers, he picked up bad habits on the camp circuit, that he’s paying for now. The same things that I saw from him that made me say Maalik will be better are the things keeping the competition close with Card. Ewers throws non-committed balls some times; I’ll explain. Instead of stepping in and committing to the throw, EVERY SINGLE TIME, sometimes he just throws it over to the receiver, just like he use to do in camp settings. It’s the thing holding him back, Ewers has to learn that every ball that leaves his hands has to have a purpose. Besides that, it’s Ewers. Even the one highlight throw Card had to Brennan, in a real game situation that’s an incomplete. 1. Watts would have rose up and contested the ball or 2. Thompson would have blown him up, they were both right there on the post route. 

Also, int’s are not all equal. The picks that Card and Ewers threw in 1 on 1’s and the half field read drills are not real picks. In those drills they have to throw the ball. WR slips, throw the ball! They have the play sniffed out because its 3 defenders to 2 WR/TE’s, throw the ball! Those are not real picks as in a game situation they would go to the next read or run. Ewers had 1 true pick that bounced off a receivers hand, still his fault cause it was a bad ball in 11 on 11. Card had 2 true picks. One that would have been a pick 6 to Jamison and one that Watts read perfectly which would have also been a pick 6. 

- DTD is legit, saw him one shoulder slip blockers (a thing of beauty) to fill the hole and make plays. He will be the defenses unsung hero.

- Ovie will lead the team in sacks, he’s the edge we deserve. He’s ready

- Overshown will cause all types of havoc for teams, can’t wait to see it. 

- Again, the defense will be a top 15-25 group! They are kinda nasty! The DL is in a great position, and Bo is finally playing with the right guys. Backup reps for Coburn and Ojomo, music to my ears. As I stated earlier, Murphy is gonna be a problem, and if they really run this 3 man line with Murphy, Broughton, and Sweat, good luck!

Defense will be top 15!!!!!!!!!!!

Kermit Druggie GIF - Kermit Druggie Heroin - Discover ...

• Haha 1

OB position by position takeaways

Spoiler

Quarterback – If you were hoping for some clear separation from Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers, you didn’t get it on Tuesday night. If every other practice is close or even similar to that one, Steve Sarkisian is going to have a hell of a time picking between the two. I’m sure Sark has different parameters in judging his QB play when he breaks down the film, but to these eyes both Card and Ewers looked damn near identical. Both missed some throws they could have made. Both made a couple of beautiful throws downfield for deep touchdowns. Both turned the ball over multiple times, including a couple of passes that were forced into tight coverage, resulting in interceptions. The turnovers continue to be a problem, as we heard about in Saturday’s scrimmage. If one of the two could find a way to eliminate those issues while still being able to push the ball downfield on occasion, it would probably be a key factor in Sark’s decision but that wasn’t the case on Tuesday night. Interestingly, Maalik Murphy took part in some of the passing drills against air but I don’t recall him throwing in any of the actual scrimmage action.

Running Back – Bijan Robinson looks fantastic. It’s always tough to gauge the backs in practice because they’re usually not taken to the ground and there’s a quick whistle, but Robinson appeared to have little trouble getting to the second level before the whistle was blown. Perhaps the most noteworthy piece from this group was that Roschon Johnson was on the sidelines, occasionally playing catch, and he appeared to be moving fine. Look for RJ to be held out of the season-opener but be back for the Bama game, from what I’ve heard. It looked like he could be back before then if needed, but I’d expect the staff to bring him along slowly. Don’t remember seeing Jonathon Brooks, so we got a steady dose of Keilan Robinson and Jaydon Blue. No real highlights from either that I took in.

Wide Receiver – Let’s focus on the positive a bit to start off. To these eyes, Tariq Milton was as good as any receiver on the team. He caught the ball cleanly and seemed very comfortable working out of the slot with the first team. The big development was that Jordan Whittington appeared to work exclusively at the Z position on the outside, which played a part in Milton’s moving up the depth chart. JWhitt was solid on the day. Troy Omeire watched from the sideline, which was a bit surprising after Sark singled him out on Monday. Overall, there were WAY too many drops from this group, especially early in practice. The good news is that those drops seemed to go away as the night went on and the guys all caught the ball cleanly in scrimmage work. Brenen Thompson shook off a shaky start to haul in a couple deep TDs in scrimmage work, including one where he split two defenders and made a nice diving catch in the end zone in tight coverage. Casey Cain got free for a deep TD. Xavier Worthy was productive but even he had a drop or two. Savion Red continues to show that he could have an impact this year.

Tight End – Pretty quiet here. I didn’t really focus on them as blockers, but they weren’t very involved in the passing game. I will say that Ja’Tavion Sanders appeared to catch the ball as cleanly as just about anyone on the team in passing drills.

Offensive Line – Perhaps the biggest story of the night … it looks like Kelvin Banks has taken control of the starting left tackle spot and DJ Campbell has taken over for Junior Angilau at right guard. Throughout the night, your starters (from left to right) were Banks, Hayden Conner, Jake Majors, Campbell and Christian Jones. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when Cole Hutson comes back. I honestly didn’t log the second-string line because I was so fixated on the two freshmen in the starting line-up (@Alex Dunlap probably did) but I did notice Cam Williams getting second-team RT run and Malik Agbo getting second-team run at guard. When the starters were on the field, it did seem like some of the bigger runs came via the right side.

Defensive Line – There were flashes by this group in getting to the passer. Didn’t hold up quite as well against the run in scrimmage action. Justice Finkley had one sack and would have had another on the very next play if it was live action. Vernon Broughton flashed a couple times, as did T’Vondre Sweat. I honestly don’t even remember seeing Keondre Coburn or Moro Ojomo out there other than mistaking their jersey numbers early one … both need to make more plays that stand out. Quiet night for Byron Murphy, but to be fair to the interior DL, it was tough to tell who was involved in plays during the inside run segment. Interesting to see Ethan Burke get some run in the two-deep and play pretty well.

Linebacker – Through the early portion of the practice, it was Demarvion Overshown and Jaylon Ford running with the 1s (in 7v7). Overshown had a couple nice plays, including a PBU on a throw to the sidelines intended for Xavier Worthy. Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey would eventually work in with the 1s. Don’t remember him specifically making any highlight plays but he did seem active when I watched him. Jett Bush had a great play where he snuffed out a screen pass to Robinson for a TFL.

Secondary – Perhaps the biggest news here was that Jaylon Guilbeau was running with the first-team at star in the absence of Jahdae Barron. I’d call it an up and down night for the secondary overall. The DBs were involved in several turnovers (although a lot of that was on the QBs) but also gave up some big plays downfield. D’Shawn Jamison continues to play at a high level … seems like every time we check with sources he’s recording an INT and that was the case again on Tuesday night. Anthony Cook and Jerrin Thompson were your starting safeties. Ryan Watts looked good, although it’s easy to get him and Terrance Brooks confused because of their jersey numbers (6 and 8). Speaking of Brooks, he had a couple missteps in early drills but looked good in 1 on 1s and scrimmage work.

Kicking – Will Stone was 2-of-3 on FGs, with his only miss hitting the upright from 43 yards out. Bert Auburn was 1-3, hitting from 37 but missing from 42 and 34. Both appear to have more than enough leg strength with 50+ capabilities … we’ll see on the accuracy.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Every year's the same...

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Then the season starts and suddenly majority of the fall practice reports turn out to be very biased and incorrect.

Yeah, we turn out to be far worse than the practice reports. Which you conveniently leave out.

Just because the $9.95-ers aren't pumping sunshine up everyone's ass this year doesn't mean you have to take their place. LOL @ kicking "not being a problem", for starters.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

lol... yeah Mandels a joke. I thought it was pretty clear Manning wanted to go to a place he could sit at least a year.  Plus with NIL today as a #1 recuit.. why would you want to play first year??

Mandel is right, but he's not right. #1s don't sit on the bench. EXCEPT for their freshman season. Could this scenario come up in '24? Yes.  But it would take some blow up with a coach for a guy to walk off before being on a team for one year. 

It is, though, with NIL and the portal, becoming common for QBs to walk after a battle. I believe at some point, there's going to be an NIL for "backup QBs." 

"Hey, we don't think you're good enough to start for us, but would a $75,000 a year contract to be a backup keep you around?" 

Cause a lot of teams are going to find themselves without a credible backup when the loser of the competition walks. 

well_yes_but_actually_no_meme-e155059496

So to recap the reports on the QBs from yesterday:

Jeff Howe - Ewers slightly better

OB - Totally even

IT - Card more consistent, Ewers better deep. Pretty even overall. Nahlin still leans to Ewers being the eventual starter but neither would be surprised by anything.

Fans - all saying Ewers better (probably some bias there)

From Monday:

Hookah Horn - Ewers had a great day

No one else reported anything 

• Hook 'Em 4

Reveal hidden contents

The offense isn’t bad at all………….the defense is just really good! Yep, the defense is really good! The combination of players the defense has is the difference, but where Texas is going to shine is the secondary. Texas’ secondary looks and plays like an old TCU lock up D. They are grabby, physical, and they can hang with speed receivers, and shifty receivers. 

The biggest takeaway from the defense is how physical they are, I mean, they are physical. I will warn you right now, Texas will see some PI penalties this year, but that will be just fine, as they will win there share of battles. 

Prime

Example was Watts on Worthy. Worthy finally get free to make a catch on a crosser, but Watts harassed the man for his first 6-7 steps and then stayed in pocket even after Worthy made the catch. 

- OL wasn’t bad, Banks has supplanted Karic, it’s obvious and it ain’t close. The line is pretty physical and the freshman do bring an edge. But……I have one issue with the OL….. someone has to overtake Majors, it’s bad! Sweat, Murphy, and Broughton dogged this guy when ever they wanted to, it’s crazy we don’t have a better option there, especially since Angilau is out for the season. 

- X had a bad practice, multiple drops, including a TD in the end zone from Ewers in 11 on 11. But he’ll bounce back. 

Savion Red will be the starting slot receiver by season end. It looks like they will move Whit to the boundary (Neyor’s spot) and have Milton and Savion in the slot. Milton is seasoned but Red will be a star there. 

- TE’s looked good in the run game, and exceptional in the pass game, even though they didn’t show the real offense. 

- Bijan looks more electric! Seriously, Bijan looks a step quicker and his cuts are crisp and deadly. 

- And now for the QB’s………… it’s Ewers. Card is the same QB that we saw last year; if it’s an RPO where he can throw it to his first read, he’s money. Or if it’s a deep shot call and he can just let it go he’s 50/50. Anything where he has to process and or sit it looks bad! As for Ewers, he picked up bad habits on the camp circuit, that he’s paying for now. The same things that I saw from him that made me say Maalik will be better are the things keeping the competition close with Card. Ewers throws non-committed balls some times; I’ll explain. Instead of stepping in and committing to the throw, EVERY SINGLE TIME, sometimes he just throws it over to the receiver, just like he use to do in camp settings. It’s the thing holding him back, Ewers has to learn that every ball that leaves his hands has to have a purpose. Besides that, it’s Ewers. Even the one highlight throw Card had to Brennan, in a real game situation that’s an incomplete. 1. Watts would have rose up and contested the ball or 2. Thompson would have blown him up, they were both right there on the post route. 

Also, int’s are not all equal. The picks that Card and Ewers threw in 1 on 1’s and the half field read drills are not real picks. In those drills they have to throw the ball. WR slips, throw the ball! They have the play sniffed out because its 3 defenders to 2 WR/TE’s, throw the ball! Those are not real picks as in a game situation they would go to the next read or run. Ewers had 1 true pick that bounced off a receivers hand, still his fault cause it was a bad ball in 11 on 11. Card had 2 true picks. One that would have been a pick 6 to Jamison and one that Watts read perfectly which would have also been a pick 6. 

- DTD is legit, saw him one shoulder slip blockers (a thing of beauty) to fill the hole and make plays. He will be the defenses unsung hero.

- Again, the defense will be a top 15-25 group! They are kinda nasty! The DL is in a great position, and Bo is finally playing with the right guys. Backup reps for Coburn and Ojomo, music to my ears. As I stated earlier, Murphy is gonna be a problem, and if they really run this 3 man line with Murphy, Broughton, and Sweat, good luck!

The Office Reaction GIF

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Sark has lost the fan base. Brace yourselves for what is coming. 

Not yet.  

Someone posted a few days back that probably 80% of the fans at the first game won't have a clue what's going on with the team right now.  I think that same percentage holds for the fans across America that will tune in on their big screens.  

He may have lost a good deal of the hardcores like us on surly but,  not "average fan".  Now,  if we are as bad as a lot of us think,  he can lose "average fan" in a big hurry.  

Edited by Laga4

Hide contents

Prime

ill have double what hes on

7 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Not yet.  

Someone posted a few days back that probably 80% of the fans at the first game won't have a clue what's going on with the team right now.  I think that same percentage holds for the fans across America that will tune in on their big screens.  

He may have lost a good deal of the hardcores like us on surly but,  not "average fan".  Now,  if we are as bad as a lot of us think,  he can lose "average fan" in a big hurry.  

That 80% don’t matter.  It’s the fat cat @closetojumping types that take advantage of drunks on message boards that do

Reveal hidden contents

Prime

did he forget we are still in the big 12, where you are one late-QB slide away from losing any player and blowing up a bubble screen also gets you ejected? 

Also DPI gets called on ticky tack plays all the time on us, if we actually get physical with WRs we won't have a single passing play without a flag.

Big 12 is the no D league, there's no big 12 team going top 15.

Edited by Zeus

Reveal hidden contents

Prime

10575509.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Can't tell if you're kidding but our fan base is fucking retarded.  Sark very well may end up sucking.  This season very well, and frankly probably, will suck.  But to direct your outrage at Sark at this point is so fucking toxic and reactionary.

The experienced leaders of this (and last year's) team should be fuckface Tom's 2018 and 2019 classes.  What does Sark have left to work with from those classes?

Offense-  Roschon, Whittington, Liebrock, Angilau, Jones 

Defense- Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, Overshown, Brockermeyer, Gbenda, Bush, Cook, Jamison

That's it.  

If this season is a dud with no sign of improvement and we lose the '23 class, then okay.  I disagree with whether or not he should have already lost the fan base but I can at least understand it.  Until then, stop being such fucking pussies and understand the shit he inherited.  

Yeah, this turd ship has been adrift for 12 years and there are idiots that expect everything to fixed in 1 season and two weeks of camp.  Seriously how do some of y’all make it through life?  The ridiculous jump to “everything is lost” is comical.     

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Hide contents

Prime

Wholly shit...