2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

FCB top 10 takeaways from practice

Spoiler

Top 10 takeaways following Texas’ open fall camp practice Tuesday night:

10. Redshirt freshman receiver Casey Cain has a HUGE opportunity in front of him. Want to see if he’s up for the challenge.

9. Walk-on nickel/safety Michael Taaffe is going to be called on at some point this season, and he’ll be ready to contribute and may never leave the field. The guy is always around the ball.

8. I’ll be shocked if the linebacker position isn’t better this season thanks to the play of Jaylan Ford, DeMarvion Overshown and weakside linebackers Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey and David Gbenda. Even backup middle linebackers Jett Bush and Devin Richardson show nice instincts.

7. Players who I think are going to stars for this team in the future: Jonathon Brooks (who was ill and missed Tuesday night's practice but had a really good Saturday scrimmage), all the freshmen offensive linemen, Savion Red, Brenen Thompson, Jaylon Guilbeau, Justice Finkley, Jaray Bledsoe, Xavion Brice, BJ Allen Ethan Burke

6. Your starting defensive tackles right now are Byron Murphy and Vernon Broughton, and the way they got penetration on Tuesday night, I think that’s just fine.

5. Will Stone’s practice Tuesday night reminded me of one of Michael Dickson’s first practices when Dickson shanked a punt from Denius Fields over Red River into the LBJ parking lot. Stone missed five field goal attempts in warmups (from 40 and 45 yards on different hashes), his kickoffs were inconsistent all night and he went 2-of-3 on field goal attempts in live situations at the end of practice. Right now, Bert Auburn might be your first-team kicker.

4. The offensive line is a fragile ecosystem. When one of the five big fellas goes down, it takes time to get rhythm and chemistry established with the new cast of five, especially when you’re playing a couple of first-year players. At least the new cast of five has a little more than two weeks to prepare for the season and a little more than three weeks to prepare for Will Anderson and Dallas Turner. Gulp.

3. My biggest concerns right now: Lack of separation at quarterback; chemistry and cohesion on the offensive line; finding a new Top Three receiver to replace Isaiah Neyor.

2. The defense looks like it’s playing with more energy and more as a team. Lord knows, those things need to be true after last season.

1. Hudson Card is not an afterthought in this quarterback battle with Quinn Ewers. Saturday’s scrimmage is going to be HUGE for the quarterback position.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

The "lost the fans" thing is such a hilariously stupid take by over reactionary Texas fans.  It would be funny if it weren't so sad and on brand for us.

1. Sark hired - "We've lost the fans, he's not Urban Meyer, I'm out!"
  2. Brings in X, puts together amazing O-line class, Top 5 2023 class so far - "Texas recruits itself!  Our NIL deathstar is responsible!"
  3. True* Freshman who hasn't played actual football since Jr. year of high-school 2 years ago can't seem to put it together after 6 months on campus in our system - "I thought Sark was the QB God, what gives!  OMG we're faced with starting the 4-star with more experience in the system for a few games!  I can't believe we might SIT a guy who isn't ready...because....5*!   This will crater NIL 2 years from now!  I'm out!  Lost the fans!"

Some of y'all seem like you're more happy if we lose with Sark than if we win, so you can have your told-ya-so moment.  Good on you I guess.

morgan freeman quote GIF

6 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

He's blowing something at 12ish today.

Ha ha! Probably saw a few weeks old tweet that Sark is unloading his $7.5M home from Rollingwood…

Are we in trouble or something? Like scandal type shit? Cryptic stuff is being said here and in Twitter…is something really bad headed our way? 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Ha ha! Probably saw a few weeks old tweet that Sark is unloading his $7.5M home from Rollingwood…

Are we in trouble or something? Like scandal type shit? Cryptic stuff is being said here and in Twitter…is something really bad headed our way? 

Wat?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Cryptic? Where?

Another Saturday, another scrimmage to prove oneself. Let's hope one of the quarterbacks takes all of the coaching tidbits and applies them and comes away with a clean stat sheet on Saturday. I think that's all it will take to be named starter at this point; decent production with no turnovers and minimal sacks.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The OL got caved in, but that is when his problems arise. For him to be tossing a no look pass over the line into the middle of the field at this point in his career is completely unacceptable. There are going to be some moments this year where he has to work his way out of the wash, and he has never shown the ability to be able to do that. As soon as defenses key into this, they are going to just blitz the shit out of us all game. 

100% agree 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Justin Wells really talking up Broughton on 104.9.

I got no issues playing Broughton on 3rd downs and in pass rushing situations. But I have seen nothing from him to suggest he can plug gaps to stop the run. He plays with some of the highest pad level I’ve ever seen from a defensive tackle.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Sark lost the fans when he went 5-7 and let Kansas beat us while scoring 40 points above their season average.  This board calls him 7 loss Steve and, in what would normally be peak koolaid “show me a loss!” time, we’re all setting expectations for 7 wins to be a productive year.  Of course he lost the fans. 

Preseason camp decisions mean nothing to 95% of the fans, though, so I don’t see why we would pretend anything recent is hurting Sark’s status.   “He should have named a starting QB one week earlier” is kind of an odd reason to abandon ship as opposed to “He lost 6 straight games against a talent deficient Big 12 schedule and let Kansas drop 57 on us at home.”

Talent deficient relative to Bama/UGA/tOSU, but the non-KU Big 12 likely had better players than we did at multiple key positions. 
Still gotta find a way though, and this year will show where this thing is headed. Loss of Neyor/Angilau drops my expectation to 8 wins. Bijan/Brooks + improved line play + improved defense should be enough for that as long as Ewers can complete deep balls often enough. 

Edited by Atticus

247 brought this up a few weeks ago and I pretty much dismissed it because they were the only one, but IT mentioned it recently as well so it piqued my interest.

They said they saw/heard that the DL is doing a lot more penetrating vs a lot of the two gaping stuff we tried to do last year. I know 247 mentioned that Bo Davis got offered to go to LSU (and Florida I think) this offseason and part of what got him to stay is Sark said he could coach/deploy the DL in whatever way that he wanted. 

Obviously we have a few guys who could probably do well with penetrating or two gapping, but we also have a quite a few who definitely do not fit two gapping (Broughton, Collins when he’s on the interior, Sweat).

Definitely will be something to watch closely this season.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I got no issues playing Broughton on 3rd downs and in pass rushing situations. But I have seen nothing from him to suggest he can plug gaps to stop the run. He plays with some of the highest pad level I’ve ever seen from a defensive tackle.

agree. He is an all or nothing guy. He is really athletic, always has been. He makes a play and penetrates or he gets washed out. There is very little middle ground. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

247 brought this up a few weeks ago and I pretty much dismissed it because they were the only one, but IT mentioned it recently as well so it piqued my interest.

They said they saw/heard that the DL is doing a lot more penetrating vs a lot of the two gaping stuff we tried to do last year. I know 247 mentioned that Bo Davis got offered to go to LSU (and Florida I think) this offseason and part of what got him to stay is Sark said he could coach/deploy the DL in whatever way that he wanted. 

Obviously we have a few guys who could probably do well with penetrating or two gapping, but we also have a quite a few who definitely do not fit two gapping (Broughton, Collins when he’s on the interior, Sweat).

Definitely will be something to watch closely this season.

kind of funny, all of them were brought in to 2 gap. Broughton and Collins were basically the perfect 4i recruit. Not sure why Broughton and Collins turned out so soft.

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This is what’s striking to me, too.  And if Sweat can’t play in a 2 gap scheme at 340, what is he supposed to do?  He’s not exactly John Randle shooting gaps like greased lightning.

We have gigantic guys at DL who can’t play in a 2 gap scheme?  That means they either don’t know what they’re doing and are thinking way too much, or they’re outrageously soft.  And, honestly, Broughton and his straight vertical pad level is the only guy who really does strike me as too soft.  The other guys look more like their wires were crossed more than they were just getting obliterated.  

I kind of have Collins, Coburn and Sweat in the same bucket. I am not sure it is soft, but I know they cant run 5 plays in a row without an oxygen tank. Not sure if it conditioning or conditional effort. Murphy starting over Sweat should be a complete embarrassment to him (that isnt a knock on Murphy). 

Edited by Codaxx

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

kind of funny, all of them were brought in to 2 gap. Broughton and Collins were basically the perfect 4i recruit. Not sure why Broughton and Collins turned out so soft.

Well playing as a 3 tech is different than a 4i. Both those guys are 290 so asking them to two gap on interior is different than having them head up on an OT.

Maybe @Burt Macklin can chime in here I know he’s explained before which style suits which players better. 

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This is what’s striking to me, too.  And if Sweat can’t play in a 2 gap scheme at 340, what is he supposed to do?  He’s not exactly John Randle shooting gaps like greased lightning.

We have gigantic guys at DL who can’t play in a 2 gap scheme?  That means they either don’t know what they’re doing and are thinking way too much, or they’re outrageously soft.  And, honestly, Broughton and his straight vertical pad level is the only guy who really does strike me as too soft.  The other guys look more lethargic/slow or like their wires were crossed more than they were just getting obliterated.  

Sweat is athletic enough to where he could probably do both now that I think about it more.

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well playing as a 3 tech is different than a 4i. Both those guys are 290 so asking them to two gap on interior is different than having them head up on an OT.

Maybe @Burt Macklin can chime in here I know he’s explained before which style suits which players better. 

We try to make so many excuses. Started with Ian and the IT guys. REst of the fan base just parrots that. People act like they are NFL guys, but if you move them over 1 gap they cant be expected to be a good college player or ask them to do anything other than shoot a gap they cant do it.  Saying a guy like Sweat cant 2 gap is crazy. He is 6'4" and 340 pounds. Its easier to say something like its all scheme, than to just be honest and say they play like fuckin jags. 

3 tech and 4i are different. 3 tech is outside shoulder of the guard and the 41 in head up. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

We try to make so many excuses. Started with Ian and the IT guys. REst of the fan base just parrots that. People act like they are NFL guys, but if you move them over 1 gap they cant be expected to be a good college player or ask them to do anything other than shoot a gap they cant do it.  Saying a guy like Sweat cant 2 gap is crazy. He is 6'4" and 340 pounds. Its easier to say something like its all scheme, than to just be honest and say they play like fuckin jags. 

3 tech and 4i are different. 3 tech is outside shoulder of the guard and the 41 in head up. 

Deploying guys correctly is pretty much half the battle in football….at all levels.

Does anyone else think it's kinda crazy how high the national expectations are for Ewers this soon? As others have said, he's basically a true freshman. I didn't hear a peep when Bryce Young redshirted (granted, Mac Jones was very good). No one expects Weigman or Klubnik to start at any point this season. Yet for some reason, it's a huge failure if Ewers isn't ready week 1? 

In fact, I can't even name a single true freshman QB who started week 1. Not Lawrence, not Fields, not Rattler, not Caleb, etc.

I know, I know, Ewers isn't technically a true freshman. But just like all true freshman, he's played 4 seasons of football since he entered high school and like them, he's learning a new system this year. Being a redshirt typically means you had a year to learn the playbook. It also typically means you had a Senior season as a starter in HS. Not the case here.

Anyway, thanks for attending my ted talk.