2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sweat is athletic enough to where he could probably do both now that I think about it more.

You generally want to go 1 gap with players that are quick. Those are the guys that shoot gaps well. Rams ask their DL to 2 gap, but they will  move Donalson around and let him shoot gaps. You generally want big strong guys to 2 gap. Guy like Gilbert "grave digger" Brown is a good example. 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You generally want to go 1 gap with players that are quick. Those are the guys that shoot gaps well. Rams ask their DL to 2 gap, but they will  move Donalson around and let him shoot gaps. You generally want big strong guys to 2 gap. Guy like Gilbert "grave digger" Brown is a good example. 

Just fucking run what works best for our personnel and depth. Fuck being one or the other. 

4 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

This is aggy as hell. The cognitive dissonance required to state and believe this paragraph is staggering (and I’m actually optimistic defense will be better than last season). 

Perhaps, but there's not a lot in his premise that I take issue with.  Getting Coburn replaced is something I've wanted for years.  A defense with DTD, if reports are to be believed that he is legit, instead of Luke Brock is already miles better.  Cherry on top being a secondary without BJ Foster and how can you not improve at least 10 spots in the national defensive rankings?

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Just fucking run what works best for our personnel and depth. Fuck being one or the other. 

THat is kind of my point. Lets not pretend 6'2 350 Coburn or 6'4" 350 Sweat are players built to shoot gaps. These fuckers need to step up and stop making excuses. Poor LB play does not help anyone look good and exacerbated the situation last year, but the DL isnt playing anywhere near their ability.  Maybe improved LB will help, but at some point we have to start calling a sspade a spade. 9.95ers were talkign about what a strength interior DL was not long ago and now all of them look like Murphy will pass them by. 

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Codaxx said:

THat is kind of my point. Lets not pretend 6'2 350 Coburn or 6'4" 350 Sweat are players built to shoot gaps. These fuckers need to step up and stop makign excuses. Dont get me wrong, poor LB play does not help anyone look good. 

I think sweat has the athleticism to do so. Maybe not Coburn. But 2 gapping most of the game is going to get those guys beat down and I don’t think we have the depth. The guys we recruited in 2022 don’t fit that 2 gap mold either imo

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think sweat has the athleticism to do so. Maybe not Coburn. But 2 gapping most of the game is going to get those guys beat down and I don’t think we have the depth. The guys we recruited in 2022 don’t fit that 2 gap mold either imo

We dont have depth? That is the only position on defense with depth. Orlando recruited these guys to fit in his system and to 2 gap occasionally.  This is exactly what I am talking about. It easier to say "no depth", than to ask why havent we seen any of these guys (Sweat, Coburn, Collins, Broughton (maybe he is stepping up)) get any better the last 2-3 years. My suspicion is you want to believe it is all scheme, because that can be changed easily. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

We dont have depth? That is the only position on defense with depth. This is exactly what I am talking about. It easier to say "no depth", than to ask why havent we seen any of these guys (Sweat, Coburn, Collins, Broughton (maybe he is stepping up)) get any better the last 2-3 years. My suspicion is you want to believe it is all scheme, because that can be changed easily. 

Collins, the guy who is more potential than anything? He's strength isn't 2 gapping. His strength is his athleticism for his side. 

Broughton, I'll quote Bobby on:

"Vernon Broughton just has a really hard time anchoring in the run game and gets washed out really easily and it effects others.

As a pass rusher, Broughton may be a plus-player on the interior. As a run defender, he appears to be a liability.

T’Vondre Sweat is running behind Broughton but routinely was disruptive. Sweat may be the team’s most disruptive interior player but he’s currently running second team. Perhaps that’s the motivation needed for Sweat to keep generating results."

As I said earlier, the 2022 interior guys we recruited skillsets fit 1 gapping over 2 gapping. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Collins, the guy who is more potential than anything? He's strength isn't 2 gapping. His strength is his athleticism for his side. 

Broughton, I'll quote Bobby on:

"Vernon Broughton just has a really hard time anchoring in the run game and gets washed out really easily and it effects others.

As a pass rusher, Broughton may be a plus-player on the interior. As a run defender, he appears to be a liability.

T’Vondre Sweat is running behind Broughton but routinely was disruptive. Sweat may be the team’s most disruptive interior player but he’s currently running second team. Perhaps that’s the motivation needed for Sweat to keep generating results."

As I said earlier, the 2022 interior guys we recruited skillsets fit 1 gapping over 2 gapping. 

I know where Broughton is now, but that is what we are talking about. Him and Collins were perfect fits at 4i as recruits. Go back and read Bobby and the IT guys talk about those guys when they were recruited. Broughton 6'4'' and 300 pounds. There is no excuse for him in year 3 to be this weak against the run. You have to ask why is Banks physically stronger coming out of HS than Broughton is today with 3 years in the program. Instead of talking about pad level, effort, and strength on these guys, we say none fit the system. Keep in mind, not single X's and O's guy was upset about the PK pick. They loved it. PK's system hasnt changed and the players havent changed. 

Edited by Codaxx

7 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Damn, we're at "our pets' heads are falling off" level of despair and depression, and we're...checks calendar.... 2.5 weeks from the first game.  Impressive. 

Bigger, faster, stronger - if the team isn‘t, at least our meltdowns are

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Does anyone else think it's kinda crazy how high the national expectations are for Ewers this soon? As others have said, he's basically a true freshman. I didn't hear a peep when Bryce Young redshirted (granted, Mac Jones was very good). No one expects Weigman or Klubnik to start at any point this season. Yet for some reason, it's a huge failure if Ewers isn't ready week 1? 

In fact, I can't even name a single true freshman QB who started week 1. Not Lawrence, not Fields, not Rattler, not Caleb, etc.

I know, I know, Ewers isn't technically a true freshman. But just like all true freshman, he's played 4 seasons of football since he entered high school and like them, he's learning a new system this year. Being a redshirt typically means you had a year to learn the playbook. It also typically means you had a Senior season as a starter in HS. Not the case here.

Anyway, thanks for attending my ted talk. 

People say the comp for Ewers is a true freshman, and he is the age of a true freshman, but he also spent an entire season practicing / learning the game around a hugely successful offensive scheme at Ohio State. So I'd put him more in the redshirt camp.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, burdine said:

Ewers missed a good chunk of OSU summer program.  Not much install going on during the season.

Closest useful comp is to a freshman early enrollee IMO.

This.  From a pure experience perspective he would have probably been better off starting in high school vs running scout team @ OSU

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, burdine said:

Ewers missed a good chunk of OSU summer program.  Not much install going on during the season.

19 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

People say the comp for Ewers is a true freshman, and he is the age of a true freshman, but he also spent an entire season practicing / learning the game around a hugely successful offensive scheme at Ohio State. So I'd put him more in the redshirt camp.

I think some (I’m an asshole so I’m one of them) want an ROI on him in a sense. He was heavily recruited and written up (accolades and such.) I am a fan of anyone trying to make money early and often. I just don’t think it benefits the QB position to leave HS early. I realize he cashed in early and that’s great. So because of that my expectations are much higher than say a Colt McCoy or a Major or a Sam. I expect him to beat out Card in short order because of his heralded abilities. I want to see how well all we’ve read and heard about him translates. Im rooting for him to succeed. That would be great. I admit I’m harsh. But that’s because of his last two years. It’s show business now so show me what you got. I do get his age and learning curve but I want to see improvement day after day and am hoping and expecting we will. But there are things that bother me (not red flags just things I’m definitely gonna bitch about and point) if we don’t see it. Basically, I’m just covering my bases. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Domedriver said:

I still say we should unleash the Power I 2 TE Smash Mouth with Brooks and Blue in front of Bijan and run it down Bama’s throat!  Now that RoJo may be back, do this with him at the QB as a WildCat.

Great idea. We will only lose by 60 then.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, burdine said:

he hasnt played in about 3 years he only played a game or two his Junior year and then reclassed. 

3 minutes ago, Dignan said:

This may have been mentioned, but this HAS to be a good sign. Caesar's Sports Book recently updated their Heisman odds. Ewers odds have actually improved: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Preseason-college-football-Heisman-odds-updated-for-2022-season-191563788/#191563788_1

From +4000 to +3500?  Not sure how significant is that.

4 minutes ago, Dignan said:

This may have been mentioned, but this HAS to be a good sign. Caesar's Sports Book recently updated their Heisman odds. Ewers odds have actually improved: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Preseason-college-football-Heisman-odds-updated-for-2022-season-191563788/#191563788_1

Did that bookie even watch the open practice?!?! Pfffffffttttt /s

I don't have a clue what's going on with the defensive tackles.  I've followed fall camps for a lot of years and usually I can kind of piece together info from posters and $9.95's and form some kind of opinion,  might not be right but at least I have an opinion.  Not this year with the defense and especially the DT's. 

55 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Like others, I disagree. He didn't reclassify until August, then spent the season as 4th/3rd string which I assume means very few reps during the season. Plus he missed a year of actual starting experience in high school. Honestly might have even be worse for development than just playing his senior year.

Plus, one of the biggest differences about being a "redshirt" freshman is the extra year learning the system. Obviously he doesn't have that advantage.

A reminder of who Quinn was at Carroll:

In 2019, he threw 291/402 for 4,003 yards, 45 TDs and 3 INTs. In 2020, he threw 159/241 for 2,442 yards, 28 TDs and 5 INTs. Oh, he also rushed for 701 yards and 12 TDs over those two seasons.

So, he threw interceptions on 1.2% of his passes. This idea that he's super interception-prone is new.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I wish some of you would get off bama's dick and stop being gaping vaginas when it comes to the bama game. I see no reason to be conceding that game. 

If I played on the team I would be intensely preparing for Bama. I would be convincing myself that of course we can win and I would be breathing fire and ready to run over my mom to beat Bama. That would be a dream game. You play football at Texas to play in games like this.

But I don't play on the team. I can only look at Bama and then look at us and conclude a good result would be a score better than what we did against Arkansas last year. Don't get destroyed and try to show some progress. Unless Bama overlooks us and shows up high on pot like Michigan against Appalachian State we aren't winning. And Bama will be show up fired up and ready to murder us, they aren't overlooking shit.

But I am not conceding anything because I am not in a position to concede something. I would actually have to play on the team to do that.

3 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

In 2019, he threw 291/402 for 4,003 yards, 45 TDs and 3 INTs. In 2020, he threw 159/241 for 2,442 yards, 28 TDs and 5 INTs. Oh, he also rushed for 701 yards and 12 TDs over those two seasons.

So, he threw interceptions on 1.2% of his passes. This idea that he's super interception-prone is new.

This isn't High School. That stuff doesn't matter at all, he needs to show he can do that against ULM and UTSA (much less Bama or OU) not some high schoolers.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

This isn't High School. That stuff doesn't matter at all, he needs to show he can do that against ULM and UTSA (much less Bama or OU) not some high schoolers.

This is true, but both QBs are throwing picks. One of the few good things Card did last year was protect the football. He has 1 interception in 86 attempts in his career. Lot of things could be going on. Defense could have made new installs. Sark could be testing the Qbs. The last report had Ewers throwing 3-4 interception, but 2 were on the WRs. As much fun as all these reports are, most are second hand information and lack the necessary detail to make an intelligent opinion 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Oh yea?!??  Here’s Hudson’s:

reminder of who Card was at LT:

In 2017, he threw 91/402 for 1,003 yards, 5 TDs and 3 INTs. In 2020, after a 2 year bout with mono he threw 59/241 for 244 yards, 2 TDs and 15 INTs. Oh, he also rushed for 7 yards and 1 TD over those two seasons.

So, he threw interceptions on some of his passes. This idea that he's super interception-prone is new.

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Greg Robinson

That actually scares me. Not that Greg was awesome, but that was the end of a personal war between Diaz and Akina. I think the improvement was more about the staff being together than scheme. The Bo Davis rumors of him being able to coach how he sees fit, gives me that same kind of vibe. PK is dead if that was done and  probably Sark also

Edited by Codaxx
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Gidnik said:

he hasnt played in about 3 years he only played a game or two his Junior year and then reclassed. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He played in 8 of 14 games. Including the state title game. 

adding...

title game was in January 2021.... so hasn't started a game in a year and a half. It's not like Ewers sat out a couple years and is coming back to it... he's been in football training / competing mode

• Hook 'Em 1