2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Went back and jotted down each 11 on 11 snap

Ewers completed 11 of 19 passes, took 2 would be sacks, had the beautiful throw to Thompson for a TD and also threw an INT on a tipped ball

Card completed 7 of 14 passes, took 2 would be sacks, had two nice touchdown throws and had 3 INT’s, one of which looked like it was a tipped ball on a RB check down.

One of Cards interceptions was a potential pick 6 wasn’t it? Your lens might need adjusting. Lol 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lazygringo said:

Well, if the coaches are counting sacks as incorrectly as you are then I see the evaluation problem very clearly.

Here, I'll list them, with timestamps:

27:57 - Sack. Dude is right in his face. Play shouldn't continue after that. No completed pass.

28:11 - Sack. Very next play. He would have gotten leveled.

29:56 - Sack. The defender who came around the backside was there and let up. No run for a short gain.

30:11 - Sack. The defender is right in his face, lets up. No touchdown pass.

31:02 - Sack. Defender would've destroyed him. No completed pass.

31:10 - Sack. This one's close but he probably would've been hit before the ball was thrown.

31:44 - Sack. No interception.

So out of 26 plays for Card, 7 were sacks, 2 were legit interceptions. How is this a competition again?

I think the writing is on the wall. If the competition is even, you go with the guy with the biggest upside which is obviously Ewers. Sark has even mentioned as much in the past if I'm not mistaken. I honestly think the 9.95 knuckleheads are making this out to be closer than it is. I watched another video from IT where they stated Card was more consistent and protected the ball better in the open practice. WTF were they watching? 7 on 7 maybe? 11 on 11 was a totally different story, Ewers was waaaay better in that session. I just saw more Hutson "shit down his leg" Card.

• Like 2

The spring game showed it as well as anything we’ve seen, the arm talent jumps off the screen when ewers is in. What he needs is experience and practice reps. Hudson has experience and practice reps, and has a lot of talent himself, but he doesn’t stand tall in the face of pass rush, he too quickly resorts to a dump off pass/scramble.

It’s ewers and we’re gonna have to take the lumps that come with zero experience. And we need card bc we have nothing behind him. So the situation needed to be handled carefully, which it was.

• Hook 'Em 3

It's gonna be Ewers, because it has to be. Sark and this team need a bolt of energy and excitement and that can't be achieved by trotting Hudson Card out to start the season. 

I’d bet on it being Ewers, but those aren’t the reasons. If others require energy and excitement from a QB decision, they need to get the hell out themselves. My guess is Bijan brings no matter what.

2022 Fall Camp: Weeding out the warts

Sark has made it clear in recent interviews that he’s not going to rotate QBs. He’s not going to disrupt the rhythm and learning process. He’s not just going to hand the role over. He’s mentioned that Card unfairly bore the brunt of criticism for the Arky game. He’s mentioned the team has been weeding out the warts — players who don’t want to be there. 

Reading the tea leaves: Ewers will be named the starter for reasons many have already stated in the thread. Card was given a fair shot because he’s a great dude and a team player and works hard and knows the playbook.

Otherwise: ????? plus reasons…

• Hook 'Em 2

Alright folks time for a quick update.  I am hearing some really positive things from our boys this season and while there were some struggles the coaches feel they can clean them up before the lights go on.  The QB competition is nearly worked out and there will be an announcement in the upcoming weeks.  Neyor is looking great and is expected to be a real deep threat this season taking some of the burden off of Worthy and allowing us to have a deep passing attack.  Argyle Hall enrolled himself into therapy and is doing great but is having a little trouble with Sark's enormous playbook, expect to see more of him as the season progresses.  Gunner Helm is killing it and has separated himself from the rest of the pack in the TE room, think Anthony Hernandez.   

I'll be back next week with another bullshit made-up implausible, or semi-plausible story based on nothing at all. 

Send your $9.94 to Nivek@burntendsstilllostcup.com.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Well I don't know if there's an official NIL page for existing players, but Bijan Robinson has a new Dijon mustard coming out. I'm not making this up. Slogan? "It's like a Touchdown in your Mouth."  I guess the official announcement is on August 23 but there's already an Instagram page up.

https://www.instagram.com/bijanmustardson/

https://bijanmustardson.com/password

that website splash screen is beyond amazing.

image.thumb.png.0db80d1c2144945417f2c5fc7408b498.png

• Hook 'Em 7

Bobby:

I feel like one of the oddsmakers in Vegas should have two prop bets going on right now on the Horns.

When is Steve Sarkisian going to name a starter at QB for the Longhorns?

And, who is it going to be?

Right now, we have little more than educated guesses available to us. Sark and QB coach AJ Milwee have kept a tight lid on the process.

But…

That could change at any moment.

What would be the latest we might hear something definitive?

I suspect that by no later than Monday afternoon we’ll know Sark’s answer, because the Horns are expected to start some game prep for ULM early next week.

We’ve covered this multiple times here at IT previously, but I think it warrants mention yet again after viewing the open practice.

Texas has more weapons on offense at its disposal this year than a year ago, even with the season-ending injury to Isaiah Neyor and the indefinite absence of Agiye Hall.

The tight end position is one of the bigger reasons why I feel that way.

Cade Brewer was a solid starter for the Horns a year ago. But he never really struck fear in opponents.

Both JT Sanders and Jahleel Billingsley have the capacity to do so because they are threats to shirk a tackle in the open field as well as push safeties more vertically up the seam. And that’s not to mention Juan Davis who is having an intriguing fall camp.

At receiver, there’s also the addition of Brenen Thompson’s speed downfield to go along with Xavier Worthy and Jordan Whittington who are both a year older and more experienced.

Neyor’s loss was enormous in many ways. But with some ingenuity, Sark still has the pieces in place to make teams fully respect the Texas passing game.

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

The spring game showed it as well as anything we’ve seen, the arm talent jumps off the screen when ewers is in. What he needs is experience and practice reps. Hudson has experience and practice reps, and has a lot of talent himself, but he doesn’t stand tall in the face of pass rush, he too quickly resorts to a dump off pass/scramble.

It’s ewers and we’re gonna have to take the lumps that come with zero experience. And we need card bc we have nothing behind him. So the situation needed to be handled carefully, which it was.

Yep, condense the playbook and run the plays the staff has confidence in him being able to execute. He needs as much live gameplay and reps as possible before conference play starts. 

Hopefully, we will actually adhere to “all gas, no brakes” during actual games. Assuming we have comfortable leads vs ULM/UTSA (if we don’t, then we are fucked), taking the air out of the ball and running the clock should not be the strategy. 

That time is very valuable to allow the staff to call some plays that are on the “less confident” side of the scale. Will allow the coaching staff to point out and correct any miscues that may occur during the following weeks film study. If that means we are up 24 in the fourth, and slinging a 50yd TD pass…… then so be it. Gotta get the team as ready as they can be by the conference opener.

Edited by The Deuce

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Injuries are adversity -- ok Sark time to prove you are improving the mental toughness, commitment, and culture in your locker room.

Like Josh says, "you've got to be able overcome it (adversity)...    How that lockeroom is responding right now,  will speak volumes about how much progress they've really made out there."

2 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I'll be a little sad when the decision is officially made.  Watching all of y'all hem and haw the past few weeks has been entertaining.

If it were me, Ewers is the starter based on that roll out, corner/fade route alone.  Effortless and perfect.

If it’s Ewers you probably won’t hear much. If it’s Card we watch the collective Ut message boards burn

The insider from FCB (cover your eyes @BurntOrange&White)

Spoiler

A lot has happened since we ran The Insider last week, so let’s get to it starting with the Longhorns' quarterback situation between Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers.

IF the season started today, it would probably be Card starting for Texas because of his overall command of the offense, two sources close to the situation said.

Of course, the season does NOT start today, and there’s a big-time scrimmage on Saturday that Steve Sarkisian and the Texas coaches will use to help set the depth chart to determine who gets first-team reps — on both sides of the ball — leading up to the season opener against Louisiana-Monroe on Sept. 3.

But both of those sources said if everything remains the same, there’s a very good chance you’ll see both Card and Ewers in the opener against ULM.

“Sometimes, it takes seeing how they operate on game day to know exactly what you’ve got,” one of the sources said.

When I asked what separates the quarterbacks right now, that source said, “He (Card) has a better command of the offense and is just more mature right now from a football standpoint. And you’d probably expect that, considering he’s going on his third year in a college program and his second year with Sark.

“Quinn, on the other hand, spent about three months at Ohio State with hardly any fall camp buildup to last season before transferring (to Texas). You can see that Quinn is going to be a good player, but it takes time at quarterback — especially learning a new, pro-style offense."

Another source said, “Quinn is going to take his shots and take some chances, which is a good and bad thing sometimes.”

That source said Card is more aware of checking down and throwing the ball away than Ewers is right now.

“Ewers doesn’t hesitate on the deep ball,” the source said. “You know the saying, ‘If he’s even, he’s leavin’?’ for a quarterback watching a receiver going deep? Some quarterbacks hesitate and wait to make sure that receiver is leavin’. Not Ewers. He loves throwing those deep balls and lets it fly on time.”

That source said where Ewers gets in trouble is when a play starts breaking down and he ends up trying to make a throw he shouldn’t instead of checking the ball down or throwing it away.

“Those are the mistakes young, competitive quarterbacks make,” the source said. “It takes time. Sam Ehlinger tried to make throws he shouldn’t as a freshman quarterback. So did Peyton Manning. As you mature in an offense, especially with a guy like Sark, it eventually becomes crystal clear when you should make a throw, check it down or throw it away. He (Ewers) is getting there.”

For better or worse, Card is also a little more adept at making plays with his feet when a play breaks down. I say “for better or worse” because we all know last season Card sometimes got happy feet in the pocket and took off running when he shouldn’t. Sarkisian doesn’t like a lot of designed runs for his quarterbacks, because he doesn’t like them taking hits that can be avoided. But he obviously likes having a quarterback who can make a play with his feet here and there.

(Photo: © Aaron E. Martinez, USA TODAY Sports)

“We’ll have to see how that looks in a game, especially with the changes happening on the offensive line,” one source said. “But I think his (Card’s) pocket presence has improved.”

Card has always been money when throwing from a clean pocket. It’s his ability to keep his eyes downfield and step up in the pocket (instead of running backward out of the pocket) when he perceives pressure closing in. That will continue to be tested in Saturday’s scrimmage and possibly when the season starts.

A source close to Ewers made an interesting point about him being listed as a redshirt freshman.

“Technically, he’s a redshirt freshman,” the source said. “But his three and a half months at Ohio State weren’t very productive. He got to campus as fall camp was ending, then got sick and was never really getting meaningful reps. So, it’s really like he’s a first-year guy.”

Sarkisian is on the record saying he doesn’t like to play first-year quarterbacks. It’s one of the reasons he picked an experienced Mac Jones at Alabama in 2020 instead of then-true freshman, five-star recruit Bryce Young as the Tide’s starter.

Jones helped lead the Tide to a national title in 2020, and one year later, Young won the Heisman Trophy while leading Bama back to the national title game.

“Everything really slows down for a quarterback in that second year of getting meaningful reps, especially your second year in the same system with the same coaches,” said a former Big 12 coach who is familiar with the Longhorns’ talent.

“By that time, you know the offense, the personnel, the way the coaches like things done — because you’ve been through everything twice. You’ve been through winter conditioning twice; spring ball twice; summer workouts twice; and fall camp for a second time. All of that stuff really matters.”

Even though Card and Casey Thompson were both learning Sarkisian’s offense for the first time last season, the former Big 12 coach said Thompson probably ended up winning the job because “he was a fourth-year player.”

“He had experienced more live reps — even as a backup in a different system those first three years (at Texas),” the former coach said. “The game had slowed down for (Thompson), because he had those reps and all those practices and meetings while waiting his turn.

“This year, Card is that guy who’s had more of the reps and been in more of the meetings and film sessions and done things twice. The game should be slowing down for him.”

When I asked the former Big 12 coach if Sarkisian might end up going with Ewers because Ewers is a pro-style passer (while Card was recruited as a dual-threat) and because Ewers is Sarkisian’s hand-picked guy and the type of quarterback Sarkisian typically has running his offense, the former Big 12 coach said:

“After going 5-7 last season, I guarantee you Sark is only focused on playing the quarterback who gives his team the best chance to win on Saturday. He can help Ewers get more comfortable in practice and in meetings. He doesn’t have to throw him into the fire to get him there if things haven’t slowed down for him quite yet.”

LOOKING AT TEXAS WR ROOM AFTER ISAIAH NEYOR'S INJURY

(Photo: © Aaron E. Martinez, Getty)

Had an interesting conversation with a team source about Texas’ receiver situation in light of Isaiah Neyor’s season-ending knee injury.

Don’t be surprised to see Xavier Worthy play more as an outside receiver with Iowa State graduate transfer Tarique Milton and freshman Savion Redgetting a strong look in the slot.

Steve Sarkisian also mentioned redshirt freshman Casey Cain as a guy who is coming on. At 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, Cain is more of an outside receiver who is learning the slot.

Jordan Whittington gave everyone a heads-up last week about Red’s rising stock by mentioning him as a player Whittington thinks will surprise this season.

“He’s like a Deebo Samuel,” Whittington said of Red. “He's just super explosive. And I found a guy who's kind of like me in the way he's a bigger guy who runs with the ball like a running back. It’s like I have a twin out there.”

If Red, Cain and speedster freshman Brenen Thompson all seem to have bright futures, the future is now for Iowa State graduate transfer Tarique Milton.

A late addition from the transfer portal, Milton has a chance to make a serious impact for the Longhorns in 2022. (Photo: Zach Boyden-Holmes/The Register, USA TODAY Sports)

I talked to some Iowa State folks who think ISU coaches gave up on Milton after some injuries limited Milton to only six games his junior season in 2020.

Iowa State coaches suggested that Milton never really recovered from those injuries in 2021.

“It seemed like the talk of nagging injuries was just a way for the coaches to get freshman Jaylin Noel on the field last year,” one ISU source said. “I think Milton was fine last season, and I can understand why he wanted to finish up somewhere else.”

At 5-foot-10, 185 pounds, Noel — a near physical clone of Milton (5-foot-10, 192 pounds) — finished his freshman season last year with 38 catches for 265 yards (7.0 yards per catch) and no touchdowns, while Milton had more receiving yards (278) on fewer catches (15) for a team-leading 18.5-yards-per-catch average and three touchdowns.

One of those TD receptions came in ISU’s 30-7 victory in Ames against Texas on a 49-yard trick-play pass from receiver Xavier Hutchinson. In four games against Texas, Milton had 13 catches for 130 yards and a touchdown.

As a sophomore at ISU in 2019, Milton had 35 catches for 722 yards and three TDs. His 20.6-yards-per-catch average led the Cyclones (and was third-best in school history), ranked second in the Big 12 and ranked seventh nationally in FBS.

After finishing his four seasons at ISU with 99 catches for 1,519 yards — a 15.3-yards-per-catch average — with seven TDs through the air, Milton is Texas’ most experienced receiver.

“This kid’s not damaged goods,” a UT team source said. “We think he’s got some good football left in him.”

Milton also returned 23 punts for 246 yards — producing a respectable average of 10.7 yards per return. (Baylor’s Trestan Ebner led the Big 12 in punt return yards last season and averaged 8.11 yards per return.)

Sarkisian has mentioned he has liked the way Milton goes about his business.

“Tarique is organized and professional in the way he works,” Sarkisian said. “He brings you that veteran presence.”

AGIYE HALL UPDATE ...

Agiye Hall (Photo: © Taylor Estes, 247Sports)

And that leads us to what’s going on with Alabama transfer receiver Agiye Hall, who was suspended indefinitely last week by Steve Sarkisian.

Texas is trying to get Hall some personal help to see if he can get his priorities and life in order so that he can become a productive student first and athlete second.

If Hall can show that he’s ready to be accountable, he’ll continue on scholarship at Texas. If he doesn’t, he won’t.

“We’re working with Agiye,” Sarkisian said. “We’re working with his family to get him in a situation where he can be a really functional part of this team.

“The goal for him, the goal for us is for him to play great football at the University of Texas, graduate from the University of Texas and be a great teammate and walk out of here an even better person than he did when he arrived. We’re putting all of the pieces in place to help him do that.

“When the time is right, we’ll have him back on our team. Everybody’s at a different stage in their career. My job as a coach is to put our players in the best position to be successful — not just in football, but in life, the classroom. I felt like this situation called for that.”

Sarkisian added that Hall’s suspension wasn’t simply based on him being charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief a week ago after trying to crowbar a boot off of his car on campus.

“This was not something that was based off of one incident,” Sarkisian said. “This is something that was a body of work that I felt like, ‘I need to help the young man.’ And that’s what we’re going to do.”

A source close to the situation said Hall had already racked up a lot in unpaid campus parking tickets (in just more than two months), and that’s why the boot was on his car. There were other issues as well.

12COMMENTS

“I think that he (Hall) has been receptive to (UT’s help),” Sarkisian said. “I’m hoping when he does come back and join us, he’s going to be in a really good spot to help contribute to the team.”

Considering Sarkisian’s own personal ups and downs in life and the patience and compassion he is showing Hall, you hope the young man will truly take advantage of the personal help and the second chance Texas is giving him

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

I don’t believe a word of that QB talk. 

It's as if they don't know that we have memories that we can recall of Card sucking, not being able to separate himself from a guy with a broken thumb on his throwing hand, and losing the Kansas game. Truly unbelievable that anyone would fucking suggest that we should all be prepared for the possibility of seeing Hudson fucking Card starting the first game.

season 7 janey powell GIF

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

But both of those sources said if everything remains the same, there’s a very good chance you’ll see both Card and Ewers in the opener against ULM.

“Sometimes, it takes seeing how they operate on game day to know exactly what you’ve got,” one of the sources said.

But for one, he already knows.

I mean, I'm sure Sark just can't wait to see how Card handles, say, the atmosphere at Texas OU. 

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Where did I say one of his interceptions wasn’t a pick 6?

Objectively you should have stated that one of cards passes gave the other team 6 points. It’s kind of a big deal in a qb competition, but fuck me for trying to be emotional. Carry on in your pursuit for proving that there’s no proof Card isn’t the hero we need. Lulz. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Truly unbelievable that anyone would fucking suggest that we should all be prepared for the possibility of seeing Hudson fucking Card starting the first game.

Jenn-Loss.jpg 

Thanks for all the votes for 80's Jennifer Connelly. She's just what we need for the world today. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 3

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The insider from FCB (cover your eyes @BurntOrange&White)

Reveal hidden contents

A lot has happened since we ran The Insider last week, so let’s get to it starting with the Longhorns' quarterback situation between Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers.

IF the season started today, it would probably be Card starting for Texas because of his overall command of the offense, two sources close to the situation said.

Of course, the season does NOT start today, and there’s a big-time scrimmage on Saturday that Steve Sarkisian and the Texas coaches will use to help set the depth chart to determine who gets first-team reps — on both sides of the ball — leading up to the season opener against Louisiana-Monroe on Sept. 3.

When I asked what separates the quarterbacks right now, that source said, “He (Card) has a better command of the offense and is just more mature right now from a football standpoint. And you’d probably expect that, considering he’s going on his third year in a college program and his second year with Sark.

“Quinn, on the other hand, spent about three months at Ohio State with hardly any fall camp buildup to last season before transferring (to Texas). You can see that Quinn is going to be a good player, but it takes time at quarterback — especially learning a new, pro-style offense."

Another source said, “Quinn is going to take his shots and take some chances, which is a good and bad thing sometimes.”

That source said Card is more aware of checking down and throwing the ball away than Ewers is right now.

“Ewers doesn’t hesitate on the deep ball,” the source said. “You know the saying, ‘If he’s even, he’s leavin’?’ for a quarterback watching a receiver going deep? Some quarterbacks hesitate and wait to make sure that receiver is leavin’. Not Ewers. He loves throwing those deep balls and lets it fly on time.”

That source said where Ewers gets in trouble is when a play starts breaking down and he ends up trying to make a throw he shouldn’t instead of checking the ball down or throwing it away.

“Those are the mistakes young, competitive quarterbacks make,” the source said. “It takes time. Sam Ehlinger tried to make throws he shouldn’t as a freshman quarterback. So did Peyton Manning. As you mature in an offense, especially with a guy like Sark, it eventually becomes crystal clear when you should make a throw, check it down or throw it away. He (Ewers) is getting there.”

For better or worse, Card is also a little more adept at making plays with his feet when a play breaks down. I say “for better or worse” because we all know last season Card sometimes got happy feet in the pocket and took off running when he shouldn’t. Sarkisian doesn’t like a lot of designed runs for his quarterbacks, because he doesn’t like them taking hits that can be avoided. But he obviously likes having a quarterback who can make a play with his feet here and there.

(Photo: © Aaron E. Martinez, USA TODAY Sports)

“We’ll have to see how that looks in a game, especially with the changes happening on the offensive line,” one source said. “But I think his (Card’s) pocket presence has improved.”

Card has always been money when throwing from a clean pocket. It’s his ability to keep his eyes downfield and step up in the pocket (instead of running backward out of the pocket) when he perceives pressure closing in. That will continue to be tested in Saturday’s scrimmage and possibly when the season starts.

A source close to Ewers made an interesting point about him being listed as a redshirt freshman.

“Technically, he’s a redshirt freshman,” the source said. “But his three and a half months at Ohio State weren’t very productive. He got to campus as fall camp was ending, then got sick and was never really getting meaningful reps. So, it’s really like he’s a first-year guy.”

Sarkisian is on the record saying he doesn’t like to play first-year quarterbacks. It’s one of the reasons he picked an experienced Mac Jones at Alabama in 2020 instead of then-true freshman, five-star recruit Bryce Young as the Tide’s starter.

Jones helped lead the Tide to a national title in 2020, and one year later, Young won the Heisman Trophy while leading Bama back to the national title game.

“Everything really slows down for a quarterback in that second year of getting meaningful reps, especially your second year in the same system with the same coaches,” said a former Big 12 coach who is familiar with the Longhorns’ talent.

“By that time, you know the offense, the personnel, the way the coaches like things done — because you’ve been through everything twice. You’ve been through winter conditioning twice; spring ball twice; summer workouts twice; and fall camp for a second time. All of that stuff really matters.”

Even though Card and Casey Thompson were both learning Sarkisian’s offense for the first time last season, the former Big 12 coach said Thompson probably ended up winning the job because “he was a fourth-year player.”

“He had experienced more live reps — even as a backup in a different system those first three years (at Texas),” the former coach said. “The game had slowed down for (Thompson), because he had those reps and all those practices and meetings while waiting his turn.

“This year, Card is that guy who’s had more of the reps and been in more of the meetings and film sessions and done things twice. The game should be slowing down for him.”

When I asked the former Big 12 coach if Sarkisian might end up going with Ewers because Ewers is a pro-style passer (while Card was recruited as a dual-threat) and because Ewers is Sarkisian’s hand-picked guy and the type of quarterback Sarkisian typically has running his offense, the former Big 12 coach said:

“After going 5-7 last season, I guarantee you Sark is only focused on playing the quarterback who gives his team the best chance to win on Saturday. He can help Ewers get more comfortable in practice and in meetings. He doesn’t have to throw him into the fire to get him there if things haven’t slowed down for him quite yet.”

LOOKING AT TEXAS WR ROOM AFTER ISAIAH NEYOR'S INJURY

(Photo: © Aaron E. Martinez, Getty)

Had an interesting conversation with a team source about Texas’ receiver situation in light of Isaiah Neyor’s season-ending knee injury.

Don’t be surprised to see Xavier Worthy play more as an outside receiver with Iowa State graduate transfer Tarique Milton and freshman Savion Redgetting a strong look in the slot.

Steve Sarkisian also mentioned redshirt freshman Casey Cain as a guy who is coming on. At 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, Cain is more of an outside receiver who is learning the slot.

Jordan Whittington gave everyone a heads-up last week about Red’s rising stock by mentioning him as a player Whittington thinks will surprise this season.

“He’s like a Deebo Samuel,” Whittington said of Red. “He's just super explosive. And I found a guy who's kind of like me in the way he's a bigger guy who runs with the ball like a running back. It’s like I have a twin out there.”

If Red, Cain and speedster freshman Brenen Thompson all seem to have bright futures, the future is now for Iowa State graduate transfer Tarique Milton.

A late addition from the transfer portal, Milton has a chance to make a serious impact for the Longhorns in 2022. (Photo: Zach Boyden-Holmes/The Register, USA TODAY Sports)

I talked to some Iowa State folks who think ISU coaches gave up on Milton after some injuries limited Milton to only six games his junior season in 2020.

Iowa State coaches suggested that Milton never really recovered from those injuries in 2021.

“It seemed like the talk of nagging injuries was just a way for the coaches to get freshman Jaylin Noel on the field last year,” one ISU source said. “I think Milton was fine last season, and I can understand why he wanted to finish up somewhere else.”

At 5-foot-10, 185 pounds, Noel — a near physical clone of Milton (5-foot-10, 192 pounds) — finished his freshman season last year with 38 catches for 265 yards (7.0 yards per catch) and no touchdowns, while Milton had more receiving yards (278) on fewer catches (15) for a team-leading 18.5-yards-per-catch average and three touchdowns.

One of those TD receptions came in ISU’s 30-7 victory in Ames against Texas on a 49-yard trick-play pass from receiver Xavier Hutchinson. In four games against Texas, Milton had 13 catches for 130 yards and a touchdown.

As a sophomore at ISU in 2019, Milton had 35 catches for 722 yards and three TDs. His 20.6-yards-per-catch average led the Cyclones (and was third-best in school history), ranked second in the Big 12 and ranked seventh nationally in FBS.

After finishing his four seasons at ISU with 99 catches for 1,519 yards — a 15.3-yards-per-catch average — with seven TDs through the air, Milton is Texas’ most experienced receiver.

“This kid’s not damaged goods,” a UT team source said. “We think he’s got some good football left in him.”

Milton also returned 23 punts for 246 yards — producing a respectable average of 10.7 yards per return. (Baylor’s Trestan Ebner led the Big 12 in punt return yards last season and averaged 8.11 yards per return.)

Sarkisian has mentioned he has liked the way Milton goes about his business.

“Tarique is organized and professional in the way he works,” Sarkisian said. “He brings you that veteran presence.”

AGIYE HALL UPDATE ...

Agiye Hall (Photo: © Taylor Estes, 247Sports)

And that leads us to what’s going on with Alabama transfer receiver Agiye Hall, who was suspended indefinitely last week by Steve Sarkisian.

Texas is trying to get Hall some personal help to see if he can get his priorities and life in order so that he can become a productive student first and athlete second.

If Hall can show that he’s ready to be accountable, he’ll continue on scholarship at Texas. If he doesn’t, he won’t.

“We’re working with Agiye,” Sarkisian said. “We’re working with his family to get him in a situation where he can be a really functional part of this team.

“The goal for him, the goal for us is for him to play great football at the University of Texas, graduate from the University of Texas and be a great teammate and walk out of here an even better person than he did when he arrived. We’re putting all of the pieces in place to help him do that.

“When the time is right, we’ll have him back on our team. Everybody’s at a different stage in their career. My job as a coach is to put our players in the best position to be successful — not just in football, but in life, the classroom. I felt like this situation called for that.”

Sarkisian added that Hall’s suspension wasn’t simply based on him being charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief a week ago after trying to crowbar a boot off of his car on campus.

“This was not something that was based off of one incident,” Sarkisian said. “This is something that was a body of work that I felt like, ‘I need to help the young man.’ And that’s what we’re going to do.”

A source close to the situation said Hall had already racked up a lot in unpaid campus parking tickets (in just more than two months), and that’s why the boot was on his car. There were other issues as well.

12COMMENTS

“I think that he (Hall) has been receptive to (UT’s help),” Sarkisian said. “I’m hoping when he does come back and join us, he’s going to be in a really good spot to help contribute to the team.”

Considering Sarkisian’s own personal ups and downs in life and the patience and compassion he is showing Hall, you hope the young man will truly take advantage of the personal help and the second chance Texas is giving him

Ruh roh, sure seems like the 9.95ers are preparing us for it to be Card. For all the shit we give FCB, he does tend to break a lot of the official news.

At this point, wouldn't be surprised if it's Card for two games, then Ewers. Kinda like what Clemson did with Trevor Lawrence. But the only way Card goes beyond that is if he is balling out (which wouldn't be a bad thing).

Edited by Tex-19

For better or worse, Card is also a little more adept at making plays with his feet when a play breaks down. I say “for better or worse” because we all know last season Card sometimes got happy feet in the pocket and took off running when he shouldn’t. Sarkisian doesn’t like a lot of designed runs for his quarterbacks, because he doesn’t like them taking hits that can be avoided. But he obviously likes having a quarterback who can make a play with his feet here and there.

Card has always been money when throwing from a clean pocket. It’s his ability to keep his eyes downfield and step up in the pocket (instead of running backward out of the pocket) when he perceives pressure closing in. That will continue to be tested in Saturday’s scrimmage and possibly when the season starts.

I mean, this is all complete bullshit, right?

Card was awful at “making plays happen with his feet.”  I think it’s Longhorn 94 (who admits to being close to Card for years) being baffled by his inability to scramble/take off effectively. The kid didn’t take off running, certainly not in a positive direction. He would dilly dally to the right, and fuck around and find out defenders all around him, then amble toward the sideline and be a yard or two short of the first down. I would have liked him better had he tucked it and ran with purpose. 

And “always been money” in a clean pocket? WTF? 1) that’s a rare thing in football, and 2) was he? And QBs should be good with no pressure. But that’s not how football is played.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Ruh roh, sure seems like the 9.95ers are preparing us for it to be Card. For all the shit we give FCB, he does tend to break a lot of the official news.
At this point, wouldn't be surprised if it's Card for two games, then Ewers. But the only way Card goes beyond that is if he is balling out (which wouldn't be a bad thing). Kinda like what Clemson did with Trevor Lawrence.

Wouldn’t that be the exact opposite of what happened at Clemson? That would be more like Ewers starting game 3-4 and then the next three years after that.

Worried the QB you prefer won’t start, step right up and choose from one of the following options to make yourself feel better!

1) Well, if they are close to even you have to go with the guy one year younger

2) This isn’t even a real competition. Sark knows

3) The team hates the other QB

4) The media showed Quinn in a few Instagram videos this spring so they obviously know

5) Even if Ewers is throwing interceptions left and right, you can work with that since he has the arm talent

6) Practice isn’t real. He’s probably just a gamer

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Wouldn’t that be the exact opposite of what happened at Clemson? That would be more like Ewers starting game 3-4 and then the next three years after that.

Sorry I meant Card for two games then switch is like what Clemson did.

Kelly Bryant started the first 2-4 games (idk) for them although with Lawrence getting real snaps even in that close A&M game. Game 3 or 4 they flipped it.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Worried the QB you prefer won’t start, step right up and choose from one of the following options to make yourself feel better!

1) Well, if they are close to even you have to go with the guy one year younger

2) This isn’t even a real competition. Sark knows

3) The team hates the other QB

4) The media showed Quinn in a few Instagram videos this spring so they obviously know

5) Even if Ewers is throwing interceptions left and right, you can work with that since he has the arm talent

6) Practice isn’t real. He’s probably just a gamer

It's not about "start the QB i want". It's about don't start the guy that looked like shit for the most part and lost the Kansas game last year and tell me he's got "great command of the offense" or whatever the fuck else. Not really that crazy of a request.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Another thing. I keep hearing about all this improvement on Card's part. Well he looked the exact same to me in the spring game, and in Tuesday's practice he 100% looked worse than he did in last summer's open practice. Maybe he's showing this improvement when no one is watching, which would make sense. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Another thing. I keep hearing about all this improvement on Card's part. Well he looked the exact same to me in the spring game, and in Tuesday's practice he 100% looked worse than he did in last summer's open practice. Maybe he's showing this improvement when no one is watching, which would make sense. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

At this point, wouldn't be surprised if it's Card for two games, then Ewers. Kinda like what Clemson did with Trevor Lawrence. But the only way Card goes beyond that is if he is balling out (which wouldn't be a bad thing).

None of what Chip said passes the eye test from the practice. The 9.95ers need to keep tension so that people keep reading. When gameweek rolls around, they limit the playbook to a package of plays anyway. There are ways to protect a young quarterback and Sarkisian knows how to do it. Roll Quinn out vs ULM, get him some confidence, and then let's see where the chips fall. Ewers will be lightyears ahead of where he is now with 3 games of experience heading into conference play. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This will either be the most promising season in a decade+ or the most disappointing.

hot take

I actually think it will be neither. It will be a plain vanilla season full of the usual bed shitting against OU and Alabama, with wins against the lesser teams, and a few games lost where we were never really in it, leaving us all melancholy and bored. There will be neither excitement or depression, just indifference. Merry Christmas!

• Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well with 7 home games, Texas may be able to ensure a 7 win floor with Card by just not allowing fans inside the stadium. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4