2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Ruh roh, sure seems like the 9.95ers are preparing us for it to be Card. For all the shit we give FCB, he does tend to break a lot of the official news.

At this point, wouldn't be surprised if it's Card for two games, then Ewers. Kinda like what Clemson did with Trevor Lawrence. But the only way Card goes beyond that is if he is balling out (which wouldn't be a bad thing).

Sounds like we’re punting the Alabama game so as not to soil Ewers’ confidence early by allowing a Card to be the sacrificial lamb.  Also keeps Card from transferring.  Of course the flip side of that statement is if you thought Maalik Murphy had shown enough, maybe you wouldn’t care about Card transferring, but you’d still be concerned about sending Ewers out there against Bama for his 1st or 2nd college game action

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Worried the QB you prefer won’t start, step right up and choose from one of the following options to make yourself feel better!

1) Well, if they are close to even you have to go with the guy one year younger

2) This isn’t even a real competition. Sark knows

3) The team hates the other QB

4) The media showed Quinn in a few Instagram videos this spring so they obviously know

5) Even if Ewers is throwing interceptions left and right, you can work with that since he has the arm talent

6) Practice isn’t real. He’s probably just a gamer

you left off 7) He's a practice warrior and shits the bed against a 3 man rush 

Considering that the vast majority of "veteran" leaders on the team suck ass and have helped this team do jack shit the last couple of years, I would tell them to suck it.

Exactly, these “veteran leaders” haven’t done jack shit in their time here and for the most part are being passed up on the depth chart by underclassmen.

1 minute ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Sounds like we’re punting the Alabama game so as not to soil Ewers’ confidence early by allowing a Card to be the sacrificial lamb.  Also keeps Card from transferring.  Of course the flip side of that statement is if you thought Maalik Murphy had shown enough, maybe you wouldn’t care about Card transferring, but you’d still be concerned about sending Ewers out there against Bama for his 1st or 2nd college game action

Why does this keep becoming a talking point? Never going to happen, if he names Card then that’s the guy. Not saying if it is a smart move or not.

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Suchomel just said on the OB youtube show that multiple people have told him that veteran leaders on the team think Card has outplayed Ewers in camp and believe as things stand today that he should start.

The 9.95 narrative has changed very suddenly. Feels like the staff doing some intentional messaging. As he likes to say, @closetojumping might want to light his cigarette..

I still think Ewers starts game 3.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

The 9.95 narrative has changed very suddenly. Feels like the staff doing some intentional messaging. As he likes to say, @closetojumping might want to light his cigarette..

I am starting to get the same feeling. Rick Neuheisel just said on ESPN radio that he believes Card will be the starter, and then added that he would hate to have to explain to the boosters that ponied up NIL money why that decision was made.

Quinn’s body language really sucks at times, and he generally looks like he doesn’t give a shit at times. 
He might just need more time to grow up before he instills confidence in his teammates off the field.

I still believe that the guy flips a switch when the shit counts, and I believe that he’ll rise to the occasion.
We also know what happens to Card under those circumstances.

Sark didn’t make a beeline for the guy as soon as the season ended only to lose faith in him now. 

Card can't fucking make a read progression. That shit hasn't changed. He was missing wide open receivers last year. He was missing wide open receives in the Spring Game. He takes a long ass time pretending to read receivers which gets his ass sacked. When the D takes away his first read, we are fucked, just like last year.

At least Ewers can hit the long ball. With Ewers, I'd be willing to trade long TDs for a few interceptions. With Card, we aren't going to sustain drives, especially in the 2nd half when D's adjust. 

Fuck this season if Card is the starter. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

There were a bunch of times in that open practice where Ewers looked like he was just screwing around. Just casually tossing the ball up to the WR/DB, like I would in my driveway. It was odd, and would certainly explain some things regarding this "competition". 

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Quinn’s body language really sucks at times, and he generally looks like he doesn’t give a shit at times. 

Wasn't this the exact thing people were saying about Card last year?

I've never bought into the body language stuff for any player. Nobody is rah-rah when they are getting their ass kicked.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Wasn't this the exact thing people were saying about Card last year?

I've never bought into the body language stuff for any player. Nobody is rah-rah when they are getting their ass kicked.

When people were saying Card’s body language sucked, they were essentially calling him a pussy. He probably cares too much, but it manifests in being petrified. 
Petrified of making mistakes, petrified of getting hit, etc. 

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Or it’s a litmus test and sark pivots accordingly.  Remember when ob released that swoopes was starting?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hermanator said:

Looks like Sark is the QB whisperer when it's Saban picking the QBs and Saban's stacked team backing the QB up. 

The program with the most money can literally buy a fucking team now. This turnaround should be lightning quick

It's sad that we all gloss Sark's actual head coaching record to tout his coordinator ability under Saban and Carroll.  We will look back on this and have a good cry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

When people were saying Card’s body language sucked, they were essentially calling him a pussy. He probably cares too much, but it manifests in being petrified. 
Petrified of making mistakes, petrified of getting hit, etc. 

He looked scared of getting hit on an 11 v 11 where he knew they wouldn't hit him. He was fucking terrible in that session and I have no clue how anyone would think otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Or it’s a litmus test and sark pivots accordingly.  Remember when ob released that swoopes was starting?

If Sark has not called the QB yet, he is not going to do it before Saturday. Dont be surprised to hear Ewers had a great scrimmage and the ensuing back peddling from 9.95ers 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Ian Boyd can’t be trusted to be honest and objective. He’s just trying to prop up his NIL guy.

This is unfair. Boyd pretty much does nothing involving NIL or promotion or anything. Mostly because he has the lively personality of a wet sock. Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by plain dumbassery.  

Does IT even still have the NIL deal with Card? 

• Hook 'Em 2

Busy morning, saw we were a headline on espn and thought I’d see what’s going on-wasn’t expecting this after ridding the “warts”. Turned on the practice video because I was tired of seeing the word Boyd and fast forwarded to some random time when I see us running a dive for 2 and realized it’s….it’s going to be the same year we’ve had the past decade. Every game will for some reason or another be a heart attack. I EXPECT yeah the E word, I expect Bijan to have a game where the fans get to say “wow that was Charles in 2022”. I can feel it, I don’t like it, but it’ll be fun to watch a win over a middle big 12 team with the stat line 25 att, 256 yds, 3 Td and some catches. I somehow think we hang around for the bama game-sadly I see card leading us out but ewers playing. I do think our defense has improved, no way we can have GP running around and us not to be better stopping the run or big plays. Same stuff, different year, something gives us hope going into next year-lose bijan but better overall. Arghhhh

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

As much as I hope my preferred QB is anointed starter, if Sark is putting out trial balloons and open to tailoring his choice based on reception of the media and internet fanbase, that is a red flag. 

Edited by derpyhorndog
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

Oh shit, looks like we are about to hit the trust the corches phase. 

Sark has coached Heisman trophy winners and 1st round picks and is paid millions to know more about this than you.  So, yes, it’s absolutely time to trust the coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

As much as I hope my preferred QB is anointed starter, if Sark is putting out trial balloons and open to tailoring his choice based on reception of the media and internet fanbase, that is a red flag. 

I don’t believe that. It’s a bunch of fat dorks trying to fleece people for more subs and money 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

If Sark names Card the starter, I'm gonna have to concede that he has good reason. Based on what I've seen from Tuesday and the spring game I wouldn't understand but he definitely has a history of coaching quarterbacks. If he does, the meltdown in here is going to be epic and entertaining.

Oh honey, it’ll be epic and entertaining regardless.  No one does QB controversy and picking sides like Texas fans. 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Ewers is going to start for us.. we'll be happy, mad, frustrated and excited as he takes his lumps and flashes more and more..

Great, I got that "excited/scared" feeling. Like 98% excited, 2% scared. Or maybe it's more - It could be two - it could be 98% scared, 2% excited but that's what makes it so intense, it's so - confused. I can't really figure it out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

It’s laughable that people think  a decision can be made based on one 7-7 and one 11-11 drill. How many times were those drills run that we didn’t get to see and how did they play out?  Nobody knows shit.  Probably each guy has looked like a rock star at times and like dogshit at others. This open practice meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

The only sure thing is that who ever starts will get completely shit on by every message board out there. 

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Great, I got that "excited/scared" feeling. Like 98% excited, 2% scared. Or maybe it's more - It could be two - it could be 98% scared, 2% excited but that's what makes it so intense, it's so - confused. I can't really figure it out.

Does the backup QB get sent up to space to handle the asteroid hurling toward DKR?

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Hello Mr. Wilson

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

It’s laughable that people think  a decision can be made based on one 7-7 and one 11-11 drill. How many times were those drills run that we didn’t get to see and how did they play out?  Nobody knows shit.  Probably each guy has looked like a rock star at times and like dogshit at others. This open practice meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

The only sure thing is that who ever starts will get completely shit on by every message board out there. 

Quinn is our savior.  He will not be shit on

• Like 1

Card being QB1 to start the season undoubtedly the single most risky move that Sark can make. It’s the move with the least margin of error. He absolutely MUST hit on it if that’s what the decision is.

Run out a starting 5 OL of freshman, decide to never kick a fg, run a 1-5-5 defense, etc….. literally any other move you can think of to be made would have more wiggle room if it didn’t pan out than the “Card is QB1” option.

Fool me once, shame on you……

A scenario in which Card starts as QB1 and doesn’t finish the season as QB1 (barring injury) would portray Sark as completely incompetent.  The better practice QB wasn’t the best Game QB last year. Allow that to happen again this year, and the optics are beyond devastating. 

Hell, Sark could be 100% correct in Card being the best option to begin, and Quinn being the better option a few games in……… he just doesn’t have the luxury to play it that way without criticism coming from almost every angle. 

tl;dr - Card at QB1 is a move that ensures heavy scrutiny in every scenario except him starting all year and lighting it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

If Card is named the starter for Game #1, here's hoping Ewers is on a similar path to the freshman year of Trevor Lawrence.  Trevor became Clemson's starting QB game #5 because he earned it.

Trevor Lawrence named Clemson starter after strong showing vs. Georgia Tech

Sep 24, 2018             David M. Hale  ESPN 

A week ago, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said he would make a change at quarterback when one player clearly separated himself on the field. That's exactly what happened when Trevor Lawrence looked dominant in a win over Georgia Tech on Saturday, and the school announced Monday that the freshman would be the No. 3 Tigers' new starter.

Kelly Bryant, who led Clemson to the College Football Playoff last season, has started all four games this season, but Lawrence, the No. 2 overall recruit in the nation this year according to ESPN, has been superb coming off the bench, including completing 13 of 18 passes for 176 yards and four touchdowns against the Yellow Jackets on Saturday.

"After four games, just looking at it, they've both played well, but this came down to you have to reward productivity. He's taken advantage of [opportunities]," co-offensive coordinator Tony Elliott said Monday. "Kelly didn't do anything wrong, but it's a situation where he's been in the game and productive, and to be fair to competition, just like we do for every position, Coach decided to name him the starter."

Swinney declined to discuss the quarterback situation Sunday but noted that the win over Georgia Tech was Lawrence's best game to date.

"He really played well," Swinney said. "He was very poised. The game has slowed down for him, and he's making good decisions. ... He made some beautiful throws ... and there's just some technical things to clean up."

Elliott added that the starting quarterback role is still a week-to-week decision but "Trevor has earned the right to run out there first."

A strong performance by Trevor Lawrence against Georgia Tech on Saturday may have pushed the freshman over the top in the race to be Clemson's starting quarterback. 

Through four games, Bryant has led the offense on 21 full drives, while Lawrence has led 23. Clemson has averaged 4.2 points per drive with Lawrence at the helm, nearly double Bryant's scoring rate.

At Cartersville (Ga.) High School, Lawrence was among the nation's most prized recruits, and he broke several state records previously held by former Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson. Lawrence enrolled at Clemson in January, with coaches then saying he was already ahead of Watson's pace in terms of development. Watson, too, came off the bench for Clemson's first three games in 2014 before assuming the starting job.

In 2018, Lawrence has completed 65 percent of his throws for 600 yards, nine touchdowns and two interceptions with a passer rating of 191.8, the eighth-best mark in the country. Bryant has completed 67 percent of his passes for 461 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

I hate saying this, but in the open practice (Tues) Ewers did not look anywhere close to a guy that should start vs Alabama in Wk 2.  Still 16 Days till Game #1, so maybe the lights will somehow come on soon for Quinn...

smdh

• Hook 'Em 1