2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

Just now, Skipper said:

Right.  Shane got hurt that game and Sam took it from there if I remember correctly.

Wrong. Ehlinger started San Jose State and USC, then Buechele came back and started against Iowa State, got hurt again and then Sam started against K-State, OU and OSU before suffering a concussion and handing things back over to Buechele.

11 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I’ve never understood what people want from preseason practice-it’s a zero sum game. Your defense is dominating camp, great, but the offense sucks? Or you score 70 points and your defense sucks but you are a juggernaut playing in shootouts. Reading practice reports where d line and o line are “dominating” always makes me haz a confooz..

the only think i want is dudes not to get hurt during preseason practice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wrong. Ehlinger started San Jose State and USC, then Buechele came back and started against Iowa State, got hurt again and then Sam started against K-State, OU and OSU before suffering a concussion and handing things back over to Buechele.

That's right.  God that season sucked.  Looking back at schedule now recall I was 0-5 in person that year (@Maryland, @USC, OU, OSU, Tech).  Miserable.

Ewers is the starter by 10/1. Card is starting for SMU in 2023.

Card will lead the snap split 75/25 in our first three games, in which a chimp could predict the outcome. Ewers’ naturally ability will shine in garbage time and will force Sark’s hand come Tech when the offense has put up 6 points at half.

We’ve seen this story before, and I don’t blame Sark for not wanting to start Ewers. Once we have real, big boy football data points to look at, the choice should be evident.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

this made me curious so i did some googling because the only guys i can think of in recent history were Shane Buechele and JT Daniels.

last year there was one, Seth Henigan at Memphis

2018 had JT Daniels at USC, Adrian Martinez at Nebraska, Art Sitkowski at Rutgers, Zack Annextad (walk on true freshman who was the announced week 1 starter for Minnestoa lol) and Sam Hartman at Wake.

same article has Shane Buechele in 2016. Josh Rosen in 2015. Jake Browning in 2015. Clay Thorson at Northwestern. Brad Kaaya at Miami. Jared Goff at Cal. Christian Hackenberg at Penn St.

Another article about tOSU (actually about Quinn Ewers) gave us Philip Rivers at NC State, Chad Hennee at Michigan.

RG3 at Baylor & Jake Fromm at UGA played in their teams first few series but didn't start the game.

guys who i think started as true freshmen, but not sure if they started game 1?

I think Hank Bachmeier may have started as a true freshman at Boise game 1? Tommy Frazier at Nebraska? Someone said Adam Weber at Minn? no clue who he is other than Minn was 1-11 with him as a starter lol. was Davis Webb game 1 starter at TTU or was that Baker Mayfield or someone else on that TTU team?

Interesting. So yeah of course there have been a few, but not many at all and almost none of the guys who come to mind as recent elite QBs.

I actually think there is genuine risk to throwing QBs to the wolves too soon. It's such a mental position that killing their confidence can have lasting effects that far outweigh the game experience.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

So the #1 recruit, aka “highest graded QB in the history of recruiting rankings”, Quinn Ewers, was unable to win the starting job at Ohio State, transfers, and now “rumors” are starting to leak that he might be on the verge of losing QB competition at Texas to a QB that was benched the season prior (as a freshman himself to be fair).  While it’s always possible such a player blooms when finally actually put into a game since we haven’t really seen this yet other than a pair of handoff snaps in garbage time at Ohio State, we’re starting to see a pattern established at two schools and under two different coaching staffs.  So now everyone on this board is struggling to make sense of it all from the outside based on leaks and glimpses of what might be going on inside the program’s inner circle. I would offer 2 things to consider as you attempt to make sense of it all: (1) How many highly-graded recruiting prospects have passed through The 40 Acres in the post-McCoy era that didn’t live up to the hype?, and (2) How many freshman QB’s did the program give up on, bench, etc that eventually transferred and found success elsewhere, even eventually being drafted into the pros?  I want to believe that <Insert 5-Star recruit here> offers the hope of immediately changing the decade-plus narrative of mediocrity around here just as much as the next guy, but there is a history here worth analyzing that would suggest instant gratification and immediate great expectations might be part of the problem.  

Dear god.

He skipped his senior year of high school and enrolled two weeks before camp at Ohio State.  The guy he was "unable to beat" was a Heisman finalist.  Are you surprised?  Vince Young, Trevor Lawerence, Jesus Christ himself would not have been "able" to win that starting job.  

And here we are today.  He is effectively an early enrollee, true freshman QB who didn't play his senior year of high school.  I don't know if you know this but that profile very fucking rarely comes in and starts day 1.  And when they do, they almost always fucking suck.

It should not surprise anyone that he hasn't yet been heads and shoulders above another highly ranked QB who has 1) two years on campus, 2) an extra year in the current offensive system with actual meaningful playing time (shit on performance all you want).

Quinn not being day 1 starter is not part of some meaningful "pattern."  The only pattern is stupid lazy takes in this fucking thread.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Interesting. So yeah of course there have been a few, but not many at all and almost none of the guys who come to mind as recent elite QBs.

I actually think there is genuine risk to throwing QBs to the wolves too soon. It's such a mental position that killing their confidence can have lasting effects that far outweigh the game experience.

i was curious who was out there name wise, hence the search. agreed most of those dudes weren't elite. true freshmen QBs have a difficult time ahead of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

Ewers is the starter by 10/1. Card is starting for SMU in 2023.

Card will lead the snap split 75/25 in our first three games, in which a chimp could predict the outcome. Ewers’ naturally ability will shine in garbage time and will force Sark’s hand come Tech when the offense has put up 6 points at half.

We’ve seen this story before, and I don’t blame Sark for not wanting to start Ewers. Once we have real, big boy football data points to look at, the choice should be evident.

He'll probably get closer to 40% snaps vs ULM although should be a lot of garbage time. He may even get a bunch of snaps against Bama if it gets ugly. And if Card struggles against Bama (many QBs do), Sark likely makes the switch for UTSA.

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

-Ewers did not get a real redshirt year at Ohio State. As was pointed out above, he arrived super late, was buried on the depth chart, got sick during the season and had one foot out the door by October. I doubt he was getting any real development both on the field and in the film room. He was 4th string.

-He is basically a true freshman right now learning a complex offense. Yes he got spring ball but the adjustment from going from a junior at Southlake Carroll to competing for the starting QB job at Texas is probably bigger than we anticipated.

-He will be fine. It might take some time, but he has the tools. Ignore all the bullshit twitter trolls from A&M and OU who will be coming out of hiding over the next week. He isn't going to the NFL tomorrow.

Yup.  I can't believe I seriously saw someone write this, "Quinn Ewers, was unable to win the starting job at Ohio State"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Smh going through the thread I’m just wondering something, maybe yall cuu or you help me. 

Do y’all really want to win??? Or do y’all want to win with players “y’all as fans” who’ve probably never played a down of football like???? 

Obviously if Card is named the starter he out played Ewers and earned the start from a coach who has put multiple QB’s in the league and made a low 4star/3star QB a Heisman candidate and a first round NFL pick. 

Community Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

Neyors injury might have consequently flipped the QB battle. Ewers is better than Card with the deep ball, and Neyor was the biggest deep threat target for Quinn. With Neyor out for the season, the scheme could be shifted to focus on more intermediate routes which, if scout reporting is accurate, Card has a slight edge on. Talk about a butterfly effect if that’s the case 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Dear god.

He skipped his senior year of high school and enrolled two weeks before camp at Ohio State.  The guy he was "unable to beat" was a Heisman finalist.  Are you surprised?  Vince Young, Trevor Lawerence, Jesus Christ himself would not have been "able" to win that starting job.  

And here we are today.  He is effectively an early enrollee, true freshman QB who didn't play his senior year of high school.  I don't know if you know this but that profile very fucking rarely comes in and starts day 1.  And when they do, they almost always fucking suck.

It should not surprise anyone that he hasn't yet been heads and shoulders above another highly ranked QB who has 1) two years on campus, 2) an extra year in the current offensive system with actual meaningful playing time (shit on performance all you want).

Quinn not being day 1 starter is not part of some meaningful "pattern."  The only pattern is stupid lazy takes in this fucking thread.

It's funny how UT fans forget that VY redshirted Year 1, then lost out to Chance Mock to start his RS FR year, then ended up with a 6:7 TD:INT ratio that year, was still an iffy passer in Year 3, before finally going Superman mode late that season and all of Year 4.

But oh no Ewers isn't ready in game 1 of year 1..

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

It's funny how UT fans forget that VY redshirted Year 1, then lost out to Chance Mock to start his RS FR year, then ended up with a 6:7 TD:INT ratio that year, was still an iffy passer in Year 3, before finally going Superman mode late that season and all of Year 4.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

So the #1 recruit, aka “highest graded QB in the history of recruiting rankings”, Quinn Ewers, was unable to win the starting job at Ohio State, transfers, and now “rumors” are starting to leak that he might be on the verge of losing QB competition at Texas to a QB that was benched the season prior (as a freshman himself to be fair).  While it’s always possible such a player blooms when finally actually put into a game since we haven’t really seen this yet other than a pair of handoff snaps in garbage time at Ohio State, we’re starting to see a pattern established at two schools and under two different coaching staffs.  So now everyone on this board is struggling to make sense of it all from the outside based on leaks and glimpses of what might be going on inside the program’s inner circle. I would offer 2 things to consider as you attempt to make sense of it all: (1) How many highly-graded recruiting prospects have passed through The 40 Acres in the post-McCoy era that didn’t live up to the hype?, and (2) How many freshman QB’s did the program give up on, bench, etc that eventually transferred and found success elsewhere, even eventually being drafted into the pros?  I want to believe that <Insert 5-Star recruit here> offers the hope of immediately changing the decade-plus narrative of mediocrity around here just as much as the next guy, but there is a history here worth analyzing that would suggest instant gratification and immediate great expectations might be part of the problem.  

This is a whole bunch of words to describe how fucking retarded you are 

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It’s not funny, the program was in such a completely different position it’s stupid. Mack never had an elite QB coach, qb’s weren’t nearly as polished coming out of high school like they are now, oh and did I mention we weren’t 5-7 with a loss to Kansas the year before. If our team was already pretty good and we were deciding between who wins us the big 12 then yeah let’s have a healthy qb battle. Card fumbled and threw a pick 6 against Kansas for fucks sake, we are on the threshold of hell here Helen. It’s time to take the 5 star and give him playing time to show that the future is bright. Sark has no other options lol. If y’all think we can swap qb’s back and forth on our way to 6-6 and sark keep his job then maybe we aren’t all on the same page with how Texas works lmao. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

You think Arch would be scared of competition with a guy that might not be able to beat out Card at the moment?  And Ewers won't play here 3 years.  If he's good enough to play on Sundays he'll go do that and if he isn't he'll be backing up Arch, Card, Malik, or whoever.

Naked eye l, to me quinn has the better arm talent and may be a better athlete.  But probably a very good chance Arch is the nerdy hardworking type

This is probably Sarks last shot at being big time.  He fails here it will be a big hit to his career and income.  Like going from making 5-10m a year to being a coordinator or mid major coach making 1-3m.  Numbers may not be right but sark likely can still coach for 25 years. That’s a fuck ton of money.  Are you willing to put your future in a 18 year old kids hands who doesn’t seem to be tackling this with all his mite?

11 minutes ago, T-dog said:

Wouldn't mind a double overtime win against Bama

Survey says... No.

Buechle y'all.   First true freshman to start Game 1 at Texas since Bobby Layne.  His first drive went for 75 yards, going 4-5 capped off with one of the most beautiful strikes ever for the TD.  Notre Dame was #10 at the time.   Overall our team sucked that year but Shane would end up with a solid career overall even it all of it wasn't here.  Currently third on the depth chart in Kansas City.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

IMG-5740.jpg

Precious.jpg

Which one of these photos shows your hand, @TreatyOak?

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Now? When hasn't everyone struggled on the Football Board.

The Fight club. the time has come when I'm going to… | by Vlad Meshalkin |  Medium

Struggled with what? Gingivitis and oral hygiene?

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

He eats a lot, too.

Ketchum is Texas' Fat Fucking Retard. We should probably quit claiming him. 

Someone actually claimed Fat Ketch? Do we have posters in the food business on Surly?

55 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I’ve never understood what people want from preseason practice-it’s a zero sum game. Your defense is dominating camp, great, but the offense sucks? Or you score 70 points and your defense sucks but you are a juggernaut playing in shootouts. Reading practice reports where d line and o line are “dominating” always makes me haz a confooz..

Are you Eric Nahlin?

21 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

i was not happy when mock was named the starter

Yet if Chance Mock were in the current QB race, you would gladly take him over Card and Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 1

I never thought Sam Ehlingher had a legitimate D1 arm, but since moving on to the NFL his throwing motion and release have improved dramatically. Just shows once again what a clown Tom Herman was. Sam made almost no progression while he was here. Anyway, I was getting psyched about this season, finally having a legitemate quarterback on the roster. Until this week. I just don't like what I am hearing from this team and coaching staff. They had talent last year, that wasn't the problem. The problem is they quit. Nothing else matters until that is addressed. Most of those guys are still starting. This is basically the same group of players that humiliated themselves week after week. Other than a few platitudes about "Accountabiity" I don't see that anything has changed. This team is going to underperform and fail once again. OSU, Baylor, and other teams with men on the roster will roll over this group of ladies - bank It.

• Fuck You 4

37 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Neyors injury might have consequently flipped the QB battle. Ewers is better than Card with the deep ball, and Neyor was the biggest deep threat target for Quinn. With Neyor out for the season, the scheme could be shifted to focus on more intermediate routes which, if scout reporting is accurate, Card has a slight edge on. Talk about a butterfly effect if that’s the case 

not Worthy?

Mock was great, he deserved his shot. And he lost it to Young at the right time I thought. And he did that awesome drive against Texas Tech.

Anyway that was 20 years ago. Neither Chance Mock nor Vince Young are walking through that door.

I never believe the hype and always wait to see how the team does when they actually start playing. I guess this year I need to not believe the doomerism. 

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah almost no QBs are ready day 1. I can't name one week 1 true freshman starting QB in the last 10 years, for any school. Lawrence was the closest because he split playing time early on but he didn't actually start until week 5. 

But lol, Arch isn't reclassifying this late and he'd have to graduate HS so it's not like he can just wake up and do it.

Yeah I was joking about Arch reclassifying.  I’m just talking gibberish until they announce Card as the starter.  I kid, I kid.

Hopefully

IT

Spoiler

Inside Texas believes if Hudson Card has a good scrimmage on Saturday he’ll be named the starter for the opener. That does not mean the quarterback battle will be over, but it will mean the ball is once again in Card’s court.

One source confidently stated each quarterback would beat Louisiana-Monroe and UTSA, but the real test of Card’s growth will be versus Alabama. This source mentioned Bama again by saying, the best example might end up being Jalen Hurts versus Tua Tagovailoa. Hurts gave way to Tua due to Tua’s ability to hit the deep ball. That’s neither here nor there but it is instructive to how short Card’s leash might once again be.

One thing is for sure, Card has had the more consistent camp. With that being the case, it’s hard to name anyone but the better performer. It’s not a runaway, however, and they’ll need both quarterbacks this season.

We’ll see how Saturday goes but as of now, Card is the favorite to be named starter and he had another solid practice on Thursday. Others who were mentioned were Xavier Worthy, Tarique Milton, and Jahleel Billingsley.

Most 1’s and 2’s are decided but Saturday’s scrimmage will further solidify the depth chart. 

Something to watch closely early in the season is the defensive line. Reports are positive about their overall play, but those were the reports last year. I don’t think we’ll know what Texas has until a few games into the season, but there is talent especially in the interior which gives the reports some credibility. 

*Roschon Johnson and Alfred Collins are still out. Offensive guard Cole Hutson has been cleared to return but we don’t expect him to scrimmage on Saturday. Jahdae Barron could return in next few days. He’ll be good to go for the first game.

*The team will only be in helmets today ahead of the scrimmage tomorrow morning.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Farmer Vincent said:

Anyway, I was getting psyched about this season, finally having a legitemate quarterback on the roster. Until this week. I just don't like what I am hearing from this team and coaching staff.

I admit that I've been buried this week. What, specifically, have you heard from this team and coaching staff that makes you so down-hearted?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT

Hide contents

Inside Texas believes if Hudson Card has a good scrimmage on Saturday he’ll be named the starter for the opener. That does not mean the quarterback battle will be over, but it will mean the ball is once again in Card’s court.

One source confidently stated each quarterback would beat Louisiana-Monroe and UTSA, but the real test of Card’s growth will be versus Alabama. This source mentioned Bama again by saying, the best example might end up being Jalen Hurts versus Tua Tagovailoa. Hurts gave way to Tua due to Tua’s ability to hit the deep ball. That’s neither here nor there but it is instructive to how short Card’s leash might once again be.

One thing is for sure, Card has had the more consistent camp. With that being the case, it’s hard to name anyone but the better performer. It’s not a runaway, however, and they’ll need both quarterbacks this season.

We’ll see how Saturday goes but as of now, Card is the favorite to be named starter and he had another solid practice on Thursday. Others who were mentioned were Xavier Worthy, Tarique Milton, and Jahleel Billingsley.

Most 1’s and 2’s are decided but Saturday’s scrimmage will further solidify the depth chart. 

Something to watch closely early in the season is the defensive line. Reports are positive about their overall play, but those were the reports last year. I don’t think we’ll know what Texas has until a few games into the season, but there is talent especially in the interior which gives the reports some credibility. 

*Roschon Johnson and Alfred Collins are still out. Offensive guard Cole Hutson has been cleared to return but we don’t expect him to scrimmage on Saturday. Jahdae Barron could return in next few days. He’ll be good to go for the first game.

*The team will only be in helmets today ahead of the scrimmage tomorrow morning.

Where can I get some of those cigarettes that @closetojumping was talking about?

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This is a whole bunch of words to describe how fucking retarded you are 

Or perhaps it's speculating on a scenario that you're not ready to accept.  If you read the post closely, which I know is asking a lot of the Twitter era 44-character short-attention span age that the internet has so very unfortunately arrived at, it draws no conclusions on what Quinn Ewers will or will not be and leaves the door wide open for all possibilities.    

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

Dear god.

I must have missed the part in my post where I drew any definitive conclusions of what Quinn Ewers will and will not end up being.  Thought I left the door open for a number of possible outcomes.  If anything, my post was asking for patience.