2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

You generally light a cigarette after you’ve been fucked good, but in this case if we trot out card it means we’re already fucked and we should go ahead and smoke it now. 

I thought it was you give a guy a cigarette before you put him in front of a firing squad.

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

When Card inevitably struggles to move the ball against Bama, I hope our fans don’t boo him off the field like they did to Gilbert against BYU. The backup QB is always the fan favorite, but it will be even more so with 5 ️ Ewers on the sideline. 

So you're assuming he won't struggle to move the ball against ULM?

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

When Card inevitably struggles to move the ball against Bama, I hope our fans don’t boo him off the field like they did to Gilbert against BYU. The backup QB is always the fan favorite, but it will be even more so with 5 ️ Ewers on the sideline. 

You won’t have to wait until the Bama game    

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT

Hide contents

Inside Texas believes if Hudson Card has a good scrimmage on Saturday he’ll be named the starter for the opener. That does not mean the quarterback battle will be over, but it will mean the ball is once again in Card’s court.

One source confidently stated each quarterback would beat Louisiana-Monroe and UTSA, but the real test of Card’s growth will be versus Alabama. This source mentioned Bama again by saying, the best example might end up being Jalen Hurts versus Tua Tagovailoa. Hurts gave way to Tua due to Tua’s ability to hit the deep ball. That’s neither here nor there but it is instructive to how short Card’s leash might once again be.

One thing is for sure, Card has had the more consistent camp. With that being the case, it’s hard to name anyone but the better performer. It’s not a runaway, however, and they’ll need both quarterbacks this season.

We’ll see how Saturday goes but as of now, Card is the favorite to be named starter and he had another solid practice on Thursday. Others who were mentioned were Xavier Worthy, Tarique Milton, and Jahleel Billingsley.

Most 1’s and 2’s are decided but Saturday’s scrimmage will further solidify the depth chart. 

Something to watch closely early in the season is the defensive line. Reports are positive about their overall play, but those were the reports last year. I don’t think we’ll know what Texas has until a few games into the season, but there is talent especially in the interior which gives the reports some credibility. 

*Roschon Johnson and Alfred Collins are still out. Offensive guard Cole Hutson has been cleared to return but we don’t expect him to scrimmage on Saturday. Jahdae Barron could return in next few days. He’ll be good to go for the first game.

*The team will only be in helmets today ahead of the scrimmage tomorrow morning.

These reports crack me up, how they have to print whatever the random person they're using as a source says. "This source began a long rant about woodworking and the price of tea in China. Honestly, I couldn't really follow but they have insider access so I just stood there slowly blinking and nodding my head."

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This football board is a complete asswhipping right now. 

Wait until the losses to inferior opponents start. As the Washington Husky board said when we hired Sark. "We will get tired of Sark's WTF losses". I hope in the long run they are wrong but so far Kansas proves them right.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Wait until the losses to inferior opponents start. As the Washington Husky board said when we hired Sark. "We will get tired of Sark's WTF losses". I hope in the long run they are wrong but so far Kansas proves them right.

This board will lose it's mind during the Bama game and we all know what is coming! 

I've reached the point to where I hope Card gets the nod.  Reasoning:

• I want to see CTJ lose his bet and resulting righteous anger.
  • I haven't wrote off Card.  (Redshirt) Freshman QB's often suck.  He sucked.  After a few glimpses into Fall camp, Surly consensus is that he is a head case / damaged goods.  I don't know that he's NOT damaged goods, but Surly also doesn't KNOW that he is.  There is a pile of historical data that suggests he could be very much improved.
  • Speaking of head cases / damaged goods... what's a good way to really mentally fuck a young QB?  How about throwing Quinn out to Will Anderson and co in his second game in... 20 months?  After having only had 6 months within a completely new, complex offensive system.  Say we do run him out there and it goes poorly... good thing we have such an even-keeled, non-toxic fanbase that will definitely not immediately dial up the pressure to 1000.  Oh wait...

Card should starts.  Quinn gets ~half of game against ULM.  Feed Card to the wolves.  Quinn isn't beating Bama you fucking idiots.  If Card shits down his leg (possible if not likely), bring Quinn in against the 2nd team defense and hopefully there's a spark.  I have little doubt Quinn wins the job outright before the season is over.  Let's stop being reactionary, unrealistic, retarded pussies and acting like the world is ending if It's not 100% Quinn day 1.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I don't remember the backup being a fan favorite when Peter the Great, Vince and Colt were playing. Now Peter sucked but he won games that mattered to us. So when the starter does not have it then that is when the backup is a fan favorite.

• Hook 'Em 1

LOL these reports are such horseshit. 

"If Card has a better final scrimmage he will be named the starter"..... no shit

"but that doesn't mean a change can't happen once he shits the bed in an actual game".... no shit

Being that the $9.95 are all full of shit it doesn't matter - but everyone seems to be on the same page saying Ewers is better with the deep ball (and potentially during the true "Team" periods but when you factor in individual and 7 on 7 (which matter significantly less)), Card has been more "consistent."  It is definitely not a ringing endorsement.

I will go out on a limb and say if Ewers has the better scrimmage tomorrow, he will be named the starter.  /dramaticgophergif

We will know the answer tomorrow, and if the answer is Card so be it... it will more than likely change to Ewers early in the season.  If we don't switch, that means we are wrecking shop on offense, and I don't give a fuck.

Two things I'm going to trust Sark on: Offensive scheme and QB. 

I'm good with whoever he goes with as I think we can win with either given the upgrade in talent around them.  Card's resume can't be fully judged by last season given what he was surrounded by which was basically Worthy and Bijan.  And Bijan struggled in pass protection as much as the o-line did.  With an improved o-line, better Bijan, more WR targets it's going to be much easier for Sark to scheme to whichever QB he's going with.

This talk of if "X" starts we'll suck but if "Y" starts we might or might not suck, etc is ridiculous even for Surly (bar is really.... really low)

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

You know this is precisely how it will go down if Card starts the season. He'll light up ULM. Some will think he's much improved and praise Sark the QB whisperer. Our offense will seem unstoppable and our defense improved. Kool aid will be had once again. By the second quarter of the Bama game, Card already will have thrown two picks and we'll be down 24-3. The crowd, growing increasingly restless, will start the Ewers chant. The TV crew will pan to the student section with four hundred drunk mother fuckers wearing Joe Dirt wigs. They'll tell the story about Ewers's recruitment and transfer from Ohio State twelve times. Just before half, Bama will bring the heat again. Card will pirouette around the pocket before having his helmet ripped off and nose bloodied by Will Anderson. He'll cough up the rock for a Bama scoop and score to end the half. TV  crew pans to Sark squatting on 40-yard line, head in hands. Halftime alcohol sales will hit an all-time high. 

They'll trot Ewers out in the second half. The crowd will go wild. He'll light it up for a few series, then throw a couple picks to seal the loss. 50-21 Bama. QB play will be up and down for the rest of the year. The controversy will continue through the season. How do I know all this? Because #We'reTexas

Edited by TexasEx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:09 PM, Tex-19 said:

Does anyone else think it's kinda crazy how high the national expectations are for Ewers this soon? As others have said, he's basically a true freshman. I didn't hear a peep when Bryce Young redshirted (granted, Mac Jones was very good). No one expects Weigman or Klubnik to start at any point this season. Yet for some reason, it's a huge failure if Ewers isn't ready week 1? 

In fact, I can't even name a single true freshman QB who started week 1. Not Lawrence, not Fields, not Rattler, not Caleb, etc.

I know, I know, Ewers isn't technically a true freshman. But just like all true freshman, he's played 4 seasons of football since he entered high school and like them, he's learning a new system this year. Being a redshirt typically means you had a year to learn the playbook. It also typically means you had a Senior season as a starter in HS. Not the case here.

Anyway, thanks for attending my ted talk. 

This is a fair point, but my thinking is that Ewers had a redshiort season in a great system with loads of talent.  The issue is that we all saw what Card has to offer.  If Ewers isn't noticably better right now than Card then we will likely have issues.

12 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I've reached the point to where I hope Card gets the nod.  Reasoning:

• I want to see CTJ lose his bet and resulting righteous anger.
  • I haven't wrote off Card.  (Redshirt) Freshman QB's often suck.  He sucked.  After a few glimpses into Fall camp, Surly consensus is that he is a head case / damaged goods.  I don't know that he's NOT damaged goods, but Surly also doesn't KNOW that he is.  There is a pile of historical data that suggests he could be very much improved.
  • Speaking of head cases / damaged goods... what's a good way to really mentally fuck a young QB?  How about throwing Quinn out to Will Anderson and co in his second game in... 20 months?  After having only had 6 months within a completely new, complex offensive system.  Say we do run him out there and it goes poorly... good thing we have such an even-keeled, non-toxic fanbase that will definitely not immediately dial up the pressure to 1000.  Oh wait...

Card should starts.  Quinn gets ~half of game against ULM.  Feed Card to the wolves.  Quinn isn't beating Bama you fucking idiots.  If Card shits down his leg (possible if not likely), bring Quinn in against the 2nd team defense and hopefully there's a spark.  I have little doubt Quinn wins the job outright before the season is over.  Let's stop being reactionary, unrealistic, retarded pussies and acting like the world is ending if It's not 100% Quinn day 1.

Fuck.  Y'all are welcome!  Lets beat Bama, Quinn!

• Hook 'Em 1