2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Traylor was offered a deal that was below, but not unreasonably lower, than what Tech and TCU were offering him, in order for him to stay at UTSA and within the UT system. Were a school to come calling anytime soon for him, there's a buyout associated to getting him that isn't small. The only exception to that would be another school hiring him within the UT system. This was engineered thoughtfully. If Sarkisian doesn't get it done between now and the end of the 2024 season, and if Traylor keeps demonstrating that he has it all together at UTSA, he'd be the leader in the clubhouse as the next guy.

While I would love to see this in the event Sarkisian doesn't get it done, it doesn't fit the profile for what CDC said he wants to hire. He only wants to go after guys with legit P5 head coaching experience on their resume. I am sure he could be made to see the light, but the track record of G5 to Texas coaches has been shitty, and I say that believing Traylor is legit. The jump is just too big. There are a few notable exceptions to the rule like Urban going from then G5 Utah to Florida, or Jim Tressell going from Youngstown State to Ohio State, but those also happen to be two of the greatest coaches statistically of all time. Urban was ripping off undefeated seasons at Bowling Green and National Titles at Utah. Tressell had won 4 Division 1-AA titles. Traylor has not even sniffed that territory yet.  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am not one of the top 75 donors to the AD, so, shockingly, I was not invited. What I can pass on, if I hear anything credible, will happen over time, I'm sure. 

I wonder what it would actually take to slot into the top 75 donor number, though. I think something akin to $100k/year probably is around the cutoff. Maybe it's $500k. Doubt it's higher than that. Might also just be the total someone has historically given, I don't know. 

Do we know if the attendees were given name tags with their respective rankings displayed? That would have been a master stroke. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As great as that UT offense was our talent at the WR position wasn't NFL good and our line didn't have a day 1 pick on it, or any guys that were going to be pro bowl type NFL players. It's possible that we have 3 of those guys on this team in Banks, Williams and Campbell.  

This is an incredibly talented Texas offense, I believe. If I'm right, even though some of that talent is young (Ewers and OL) it will still be a really really good offense.  I predict that this OL will be a lot more coveted by the NFL and have more NFL success than that line did. That line was older and more experienced and a lot better.  

The biggest challenge I see with the offense is definitely the OL youth. They are all talented and performing well in camp, but game time situations are a different animal. False starts, holdings, ineligible downfields, etc. will kill more than a few drives this year. 

Other than that, the offense goes through Bijan. He is the key to it all. Ewers is the X factor. His play determines how explosive it gets. 

Defensively, Byron Murphy is the key. I think he’ll do well against the run, but if he can add more pressure up the middle like he flashed last year, then everyone else’s job gets a lot easier. Overshown is the X factor. His play on the edge can make the defense much more disruptive and hopefully create more turnovers.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Blalock, Studdard and Sendlein were NFL starters.  Again, WTF.

And hell I forgot Jonathan Scott.   4 future NFL starters on that Offensive Line.  That's insane and absolutely elite at the college level.   You need to just take the L on that comment and move on.

• Hook 'Em 7

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

how so?

one dude got a job less than 30 days later. he left with issues but didn't light up his entire career on fire when let go by Texas.

one dude is now with CBS Sports Network, 8 months after losing his last job as an off field analyst for a shitty NFL team.

Herman is getting paid $5M a year to do nothing for this year and next. Being an analyst for the Bears and working TV are basically just hobby gigs to keep busy. He'll get another HC gig in FBS whenever he wants. Maybe at a shitty program - but someone will hire him. He went 32-18 at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

And hell I forgot Jonathan Scott.   4 future NFL starters on that Offensive Line.  That's insane and absolutely elite at the college level.   You need to just take the L on that comment and move on.

Tony Hills was a backup Tackle too and played in the NFL for a while even if he didn’t start.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

While I would love to see this in the event Sarkisian doesn't get it done, it doesn't fit the profile for what CDC said he wants to hire. He only wants to go after guys with legit P5 head coaching experience on their resume. I am sure he could be made to see the light, but the track record of G5 to Texas coaches has been shitty, and I say that believing Traylor is legit. The jump is just too big. There are a few notable exceptions to the rule like Urban going from then G5 Utah to Florida, or Jim Tressell going from Youngstown State to Ohio State, but those also happen to be two of the greatest coaches statistically of all time. Urban was ripping off undefeated seasons at Bowling Green and National Titles at Utah. Tressell had won 4 Division 1-AA titles. Traylor has not even sniffed that territory yet.  

First, your premise is incorrect regarding CDC being the HC decision-maker when it comes to football. Second, that makes the rest of your logic moot. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This has been accepted as gospel by some people, but my guess is that it's more of a strong preference. Sure, when you make a hire you'd like to have a coach with legit P5 experience who has shown he can build a program. But how many of those guys are there and available when it comes time to hire a new coach? There aren't a lot. Especially ones that are cultural fits and understand the bullshit that comes with being HC at UT.

Also, it's not like Steve Sarkesian's prior head coaching experience can be viewed as a positive on his resume. 

35 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What record would get Steve Sarkisian fired after only two seasons?

Sarkisian gets 4 years at an absolute minimum. Landing Arch bought him another year regardless of record unless he does something like another 4 or 5 win season. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

First, your premise is incorrect regarding CDC being the HC decision-maker when it comes to football. Second, that makes the rest of your logic moot. 

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

I'll have some time this evening, and will post something in the Baylor thread on how that happened. Not gonna post it on this thread cause it's a fall camp thread, not a Baylor thread, but Aranda's done some good things. 

It isnt that Aranda has done nothing good. It is just that people seem to have forgotten that he inherited an 11 win team and he fired his OC after year 1. I am just pointing out that Aranda made mistakes in year 1 and that those mistakes were a part of the reason Baylor went from 11 wins to 2. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Tony Hills was a backup Tackle too and played in the NFL for a while even if he didn’t start.

The only starter on that line that didn't start in the NFL was Sr Will Allen who was first team all conference that year.  I forgot just how dominant that OL was.   

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Herman is getting paid $5M a year to do nothing for this year and next. Being an analyst for the Bears and working TV are basically just hobby gigs to keep busy. He'll get another HC gig in FBS whenever he wants. Maybe at a shitty program - but someone will hire him. He went 32-18 at Texas. 

And that’s with some pretty god awful luck

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The only starter on that line that didn't start in the NFL was Sr Will Allen who was first team all conference that year.  I forgot just how dominant that OL was.   

He only didn't play in the NFL because he decided to quit during preseason camp because he decided he didn't want to play football.  If I recall correctly he was getting run with the 1's as an undrafted FA too.

Will we be good eventually? That depends on if the guys keep fighting or quit.

But some of you are fucking delusional. If Aggy was starting a freshman quarterback, replacing 3/5 of the offensive line and their second best WR went out for the year in a scrimmage, you’d be damning them to five wins.

Why you can’t see that with this team is beyond me. We’re young, talent-challenged on defense and coming off 5-7 with much of the same team.

This shit could get scary quickly.

• Hook 'Em 7

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Anyone dismissing it out of hand or acting like it is impossible is an overly pessimistic whining pussy.  Anyone dismissing out of hand the possibility that we go 5-7 again and melt down and crater the program is way too naive and optimistic. This is the highest Beta Texas team I've seen in forever.  This could go shock the nation good or it could be a steaming deuce that ruins the program for another 10 years.  Or it could be 8-4. Nobody knows. 

We have 5 star talent at QB, WR, TE, RB and OL- every fucking level has a day 1 NFL guy possible.  Seriously, even when VY was laying waste to the big 12 and claiming prima nocta for all time with every USC cheerleader past present and future we didn't have OL talent that the NFL was interested, nor WR talent at all. I LOVE Charles.  Junior Bijan is just a better player than him and I'd take the rest of this RB room over that one too and that was an insanely talented RB room. This one is just really really special.  That line was older and more cohesive. This one is more talented by all acounts.  Worthy is just special and flat lots better than any WR on that team- no offense intended to  Billy Pittman or stone hands Sweed.  TE are probably more talented in an NFL way on this team than that team- but I love David Thomas and wouldn't take any of them over this group.  This offense has a GREAT play caller and offensive strategist.  That offense had Greg Davis.  Advantage 2005- right @closetojumping

QE is rated as highly as VY.  I am going to bet on VY 8 days of the week out of 7, but if QE can be as good (in his own way) as 2003 VY (and I don't think this is an impossible ask) then this team has the fire power to be one of the top 10 offenses this school has ever had- and are a healthy Neyor and OL development away next year from staring at the 2005 offense in the face and saying- lets go- we are coming for you.  

Defense?  We need things to break right to be average. I will appreciate the fact that the defense lets our offense have the pleasure of trying to score as many points as possible to keep up, rather than having to shut it down at half time.  

I'm pumped for this season, while recognizing it could go very very badly and we might have to fire Sark in December. 

Listen, why would you want to draw me into to your absurd and indefensible fantasies? These are things you leave off the board and keep to yourself. I'm not even going to spend the energy required to refute the premise that this offense will, or even could, surpass one of the greatest offenses for one of the greatest teams of all-time. Christ. 

40 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

jr. year charles rushed for 1,619 yards and 18 touchdowns.  if bijan can exceed that, we should be in contention for the conference championship game.

37 minutes ago, Atticus said:

If Bijan stays healthy, he’s going to exceed that in this offense in total yards. My main concern with Quinn is that he doesn’t throw to Bijan enough.

Dijon Mustardson should have favorable matchups all day long with Quinn’s ability to hit the deep ball and the TEs as a receiving threat. 

I was going to ridicule these posts too, but then I looked at the data and this doesn't seem that crazy, I guess. It'd be a big fucking year for him, but if he's healthy and Texas plays 13 games, it's not absurd. In 10 games, he had 1,127 rushing and 295 receiving. That's already more receiving yards than JC had in 13 games in 2007. Can Robinson average 125 yards rushing/game and score more than 15 touchdowns (what he accomplished last year and what JC had in 2007)? Seems pretty doable. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I would rank them Herman, Sark, and Strong.

Strong was in a special class of regardness that it least made it entertaining.  Watching that clueless bumblefuck try and coach at least was good for some laughs.

Herman needed to go.  But we downgraded with Sarkisian.  At least that is my view until proven otherwise.

I predict this post will not age well  Sark is light years better than Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Anyone dismissing it out of hand or acting like it is impossible is an overly pessimistic whining pussy.  Anyone dismissing out of hand the possibility that we go 5-7 again and melt down and crater the program is way too naive and optimistic. This is the highest Beta Texas team I've seen in forever.  This could go shock the nation good or it could be a steaming deuce that ruins the program for another 10 years.  Or it could be 8-4. Nobody knows. 

We have 5 star talent at QB, WR, TE, RB and OL- every fucking level has a day 1 NFL guy possible.  Seriously, even when VY was laying waste to the big 12 and claiming prima nocta for all time with every USC cheerleader past present and future we didn't have OL talent that the NFL was interested, nor WR talent at all. I LOVE Charles.  Junior Bijan is just a better player than him and I'd take the rest of this RB room over that one too and that was an insanely talented RB room. This one is just really really special.  That line was older and more cohesive. This one is more talented by all acounts.  Worthy is just special and flat lots better than any WR on that team- no offense intended to  Billy Pittman or stone hands Sweed.  TE are probably more talented in an NFL way on this team than that team- but I love David Thomas and wouldn't take any of them over this group.  This offense has a GREAT play caller and offensive strategist.  That offense had Greg Davis.  Advantage 2005- right @closetojumping

QE is rated as highly as VY.  I am going to bet on VY 8 days of the week out of 7, but if QE can be as good (in his own way) as 2003 VY (and I don't think this is an impossible ask) then this team has the fire power to be one of the top 10 offenses this school has ever had- and are a healthy Neyor and OL development away next year from staring at the 2005 offense in the face and saying- lets go- we are coming for you.  

Defense?  We need things to break right to be average. I will appreciate the fact that the defense lets our offense have the pleasure of trying to score as many points as possible to keep up, rather than having to shut it down at half time.  

I'm pumped for this season, while recognizing it could go very very badly and we might have to fire Sark in December. 

I appreciate your enthusiasm but you must be high as fucking balls.  But since Surly is for entertainment I want to give your argument a little more juice.

While QBR likely fails to fully capture VY's dynamic skillset, he put up a 86.1 QBR in 2005. 

People are putting up an emotional hedge with QE since he's effectively a true freshman who didn't play his senior year of HS.  Well... I can only think of one other player who fits that profile that played meaningful snaps in their freshman season:  Caleb Williams.  He happened to put up an 86.5 QBR last season.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, immamac said:

You can hate Tom Herman all you want he never had a losing season, went and won every bowl and won a sugar bowl. 

Sark hadn't done shit except go 5-7 with the best RB in the country. 

Point taken.  I still stand by my belief in Sark.  I think we are in for a better record this season than most are predicting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

You can hate Tom Herman all you want he never had a losing season, went and won every bowl and won a sugar bowl. 

You think Herman puts together a winning record last season? 

No Sam.  Roster ranked 115th in returning production.  Same glaring fucking holes on defense he was responsible for.  

"Ohhmergurd but Sark lost to Kansas."  Fuckface almost and probably should've put up an L at home to Kansas in his third year on campus.  

Edited by 40acredropout
  • Hook 'Em 9

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Will we be good eventually? That depends on if the guys keep fighting or quit.

But some of you are fucking delusional. If Aggy was starting a freshman quarterback, replacing 3/5 of the offensive line and their second best WR went out for the year in a scrimmage, you’d be damning them to five wins.

Why you can’t see that with this team is beyond me. We’re young, talent-challenged on defense and coming off 5-7 with much of the same team.

This shit could get scary quickly.

Don’t forget we’re also replacing our kicking game, and early indications are we’re in for a rough season in that department. 

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

No Sam.  Roster ranked 115th in returning production.  Same glaring fucking holes on defense he was responsible for.  

"Ohhmergurd but Sark lost to Kansas."  Fuckface almost and probably should've put up an L at home to Kansas in his third year on campus.  

Last years team under Herman is worse. Those quarterbacks couldn't be used as battering rams and there is no way they would have been more productive offensively. All Hermans' teams were bad at running the football without the Sam doing much of the work.

• Hook 'Em 3

While he went off the rails with the 2005 stuff, it's true that this team making the Big 12 title game is a possibility. Now we're not talking about a 50% chance or anything but 20%? Sure. It's easy to see scenarios where the young guys get things going by conference play. Baylor lost a bunch and Venables has been a one man clown show this offseason. Gundy will find a way to lose a game he shouldn't.  Sarkisian has been a bad gameday coach but the flip side of that is that we lost to a bunch of teams in close games. We were right with the conference champs until our QB missed a throw that had a success diameter of 20 yards. 

Preseason SP+ which isn't the end all be all but considers lots of the things people are rubbing their pussies about has us top 25 with the #8 offense and #51 defense. Probably optimistic but the point is that those things aren't impossible. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

You have hypotheticals on your side of the position, and those may help tuck you in soundly at night, but they have nothing to do with the reality of the resumes of the two coaches. Nothing. I could argue that Herman would have gotten Texas to the playoffs last year. You could go apoplectic over that, and it would mean fuck-all to reality. Trying to change the facts to suit your narrative is aggie and lawyer-level bullshit, and it's never going to go well for posters that do that here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

Herman's teams never got blown out either, despite being severely undermanned.  Did he need to go?  Of course.  Is Sark actually better?  Maybe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know if I'm in agreement with Johnny or not, but I do know that your post has holes in it.

Herman has accomplished more as a HC than Steve Sarkisian and it is not even close. Not even the same galaxy. Tom Herman never had a losing season, he is 5-0 in bowls, including wins over top 10 P5 teams in the Peach and Sugar bowls, had two top 10 AP finishes in 6 years, won 1 conference title and played for another, and was never fired in the middle of a week during the season for being drunk on the sidelines in the previous week's game. 

Sarkisian has had 2 losing seasons, is 2-2 in bowls, neither win being over a top 10 ranked team in a major bowl, finished ranked (20th) once, has never played for a conference title, and was fired from a top 5 coaching position for being drunk on the sidelines during a game, something only Howard Schnellenberger has accomplished in major college football in the last 42 seasons. 

I have met both dudes and have spoken more than in passing to both of them. Sarkisian is an easy guy to root for and I like him. Herman is a despicable piece of shit and I can't stand the guy. Nonetheless, there is zero evidence currently that Sarkisian is a better coach than Tom Herman. Zero as in, you cannot make a credible argument using facts that will support your position, no matter how much you or anyone else wishes to blame prior coaches on their performances. 

OH yea, has Herman ever had to inherit a roster of players from........Herman? 

BTW, for all the "Herman can't do jack w/o Sam crowd," maybe.  But he seemed to do ok with Greg Ward at Houston and he's not near the talent Sam was.  And ironically, Freshman Sam single handedly lost two games for Herman, no?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

literally all that needs to be said about this is that Charlie Strong was fired 11/26/16 and found a new job as a head coach 12/11/26 at USF.

Tom Herman was fired 1/2/21 and still does not have a head coaching job, was an offensive analyst for the Bears and was let go when they brought on a new coach in January 2022. THIS MONTH, EIGHT MONTHS LATER, he just got a job at CBS Sports Network (not regular CBS) as part of a team with Robert Turbin/Christian Fauria (UConn Games) and Meghan McPeak.

He was like 46 when he was fired at Texas, not exactly old. Young enough to get back into the game if you wanted to. But...he hasn't.

It sort of makes you wonder what else was going on, behind the scenes, doesn't it?  

16 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

What's last year's record if Sark kept Ash instead of getting PK?

If Ossai, TQ, Sterns, and Brown coming  back, would have made a bigger difference , than Ash coming back. The 2021 defense was going to be worse than the 2021 defense. It might have been better with Ash, but I dont think either way it was a good defense. To be honest Ash's defense wasnt a world beater with a lot more talent.  This is like arguing over the tallest midget. 

Edited by Codaxx

He only didn't play in the NFL because he decided to quit during preseason camp because he decided he didn't want to play football.  If I recall correctly he was getting run with the 1's as an undrafted FA too.

I’ve always been curious about this. I’d assume he didn’t get drafted due to some feelings that he might be done.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

OH yea, has Herman ever had to inherit a roster of players from........Herman? 

BTW, for all the "Herman can't do jack w/o Sam crowd," maybe.  But he seemed to do ok with Greg Ward at Houston and he's not near the talent Sam was.  And ironically, Freshman Sam single handedly lost two games for Herman, no?

Houston went 8-5 the year prior to Herman showing up. They started out 2-3, Ward took over at QB, and they went 6-2 the rest of they way. I think Herman is a disaster of a coach. He has never won anything with his own players. He left Texas with less talent, than he inherited. That is arguably the worst thing a coach can do to a program. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

I predict this post will not age well  Sark is light years better than Tom Herman.

I don't see it.

Tom Herman is 54-22 as a head coach.  He has a top 10 finish at UH and another top 10 finish at Texas.  We won NY6 bowl games at both  UH and Texas, the Peach and Sugar Bowls, respectively. In his six years of coaching, he finished in the top 25 4 times in his 6 years as a head coach.

Sarkisian is 51-42 as a head coach.  He's finished ranked twice in his 9 years as a head coach.  His best ranking was #21 at USC.  HIs signature bowl win was the Holiday Bowl when USC beat unranked Nebraska 45 to 42.

Light years my ass.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Houston went 8-5 the year prior to Herman showing up. They started out 2-3, Ward took over at QB, and they went 6-2 the rest of they way. I think Herman is a disaster of a coach. He has never won anything with his own players. He left Texas with less talent, than he inherited. That is arguably the worst thing a coach can do to a program. 

OCs largely coach with other peoples' (the position coaches') players so I think that's where his sweet spot is. He needs to humble himself and go back to being an OC.

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

While he went off the rails with the 2005 stuff, it's true that this team making the Big 12 title game is a possibility. Now we're not talking about a 50% chance or anything but 20%? Sure. It's easy to see scenarios where the young guys get things going by conference play. Baylor lost a bunch and Venables has been a one man clown show this offseason. Gundy will find a way to lose a game he shouldn't.  Sarkisian has been a bad gameday coach but the flip side of that is that we lost to a bunch of teams in close games. We were right with the conference champs until our QB missed a throw that had a success diameter of 20 yards. 

Preseason SP+ which isn't the end all be all but considers lots of the things people are rubbing their pussies about has us top 25 with the #8 offense and #51 defense. Probably optimistic but the point is that those things aren't impossible. 

Your mileage may vary on Josh Pate and his model, but he recently said that his model has Texas as the team with the highest volatility in terms of likely wins and losses in the P5

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

If last year's defense had been able to achieve mediocrity, 8 wins would have been the floor.

We were not close to the defense being mediocre last year and we won't be this year. Sark was reckless in his disregard for getting immediate help for this defense. Why? Based on what I've read the last few pages it is because of Tom Herman, PK, Tom Herman and Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

OCs largely coach with other peoples' (the position coaches') players so I think that's where his sweet spot is. He needs to humble himself and go back to being an OC.

Agree. Sark is a better OC than Herman, but it is possible neither are capable of running a program. Many here would say it is probable. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't see it.

Tom Herman is 54-22 as a head coach.  He has a top 10 finish at UH and another top 10 finish at Texas.  We won NY6 bowl games at both  UH and Texas, the Peach and Sugar Bowls, respectively. In his six years of coaching, he finished in the top 25 4 times in his 6 years as a head coach.

Sarkisian is 51-42 as a head coach.  He's finished ranked twice in his 9 years as a head coach.  His best ranking was #21 at USC.  HIs signature bowl win was the Holiday Bowl when USC beat unranked Nebraska 45 to 42.

Light years my ass.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  The world doesn't exist where I'd be singing the praises of Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Your mileage may vary on Josh Pate and his model, but he recently said that his model has Texas as the team with the highest volatility in terms of likely wins and losses in the P5

I think that's a completely reasonable position. First time but highly touted starting QB with freshmen inserting themselves in the OL. Transfer TE who is high volatility in his own right. Offense could be merely decent or could be great. 

Defense with a definitely lower ceiling, don't see a much volatility over here. They should be mediocre (relative to all of FBS not competitive P5 teams).