2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

52 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

This is what I'm talking about.  Really?  An argument doesn't exist to support idea of him being a good coach?

UW in 5 seasons before Sark and during Sark's tenure:

WINS:  1-2-5-4-0 ->  5-7-7-7-9

RECRUITING RANK:   23-66-35-36-24 -> 68-28-23-21-18

Is that not the body of work of a good coach?  I'm not trying to play gotcha.  Really- what would Sark had to have done at UW for you to have considered him a good coach?

Yes-  wheels fell off at USC.  After he won 9 games in year 1 with scholarship sanctions.

I completely disagree with the notion that an argument cannot be made that Sark has demonstrated himself to be a good coach.  Are we now disagreeing on the definition of good?  Maybe.  I see someone who has shown they are more than capable and could be a winner at Texas.   I'm not "insisting he will be" successful.   We don't know yet.  Which again, is my whole fucking point.  I'm pushing back on this idea that any optimism could not possibly be rooted in fact or reason.  

This is kinda my perspective at this point. Take out the drunkenness and it's a pretty solid track record. Apparently USC agreed.

Of course, year 1 here is a bad sign that can't be ignored. And it is hard to know how much of his OC success was due to Carroll and Saban. The NFL stint was iffy too but it should be clear by now that NFL struggles don't mean much for the college game.

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hookah- "Just got a text that all the kickers were struggling to hit 32 yd FGs after practice."

We need to start a D1 Soccer Team for the sole purpose of poaching all the kicking talent to come play football. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, bejezuz said:

You know, it's threads like this that drove me to go ahead and pony up for an IT subscription. I think I'll just go back to enjoying the expensive Kool-Aid and living in relative ignorance.  

Do yourself a favor and save the $119.40 for the year and put it towards tickets to a game. Because right now you're just paying to be lied to and filled up with bullshit. 

You're the football equivalent to the old chain smoking grannies in the 1980s that would always blow money on the latest National Inquierer. 

7 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

I don't get how a kicker could seem good and then immediately not be good once they start kicking at DKR. It's the same shit, just a different place. FFS.

Not much pressure in high school. Most high schools are surprised when their kicker can hit 3 35+ yders in a row. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Not much pressure in high school. Most high schools are surprised when their kicker can hit 3 35+ yders in a row. 

That and college kickers can not use kicking blocks like HS kickers for FGs

Edited by Codaxx

37 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hookah- "Just got a text that all the kickers were struggling to hit 32 yd FGs after practice."

Gonna be really hard to improve our record in one score games from last year if our kickers are as bad as reports are indicating. Banks seems to be pretty on top of special teams, but it’s sounding like he really dropped the ball at KICKER. We’ll see, but a terrible kicker really could lose us multiple games this year. I guess the silver lining is that this could force us to be more in line analytically in going for it in fourth down. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Oh no please don't go. We are going to be national champions and Quinn and Bijan are going 1 and 2 in NY for the Heisman, but they are so dedicated to the school they decide to be the first co-heisman trophy winners. 

All 5 of our OL will be freshman and will only get better the next 4 years. Our DL is stacked full of freaks who are going to beat out their senior counterparts by halftime of the Alabama game and our linebackers are going to have the highlight reel of the decade.

Show me a LOSS you bleeding vaginas! 

This is all correct except the Heisman voting will be 1. Bijan, 2. Quinn, and 3. Xavier

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Gonna be really hard to improve our record in one score games from last year if our kickers are as bad as reports are indicating. Banks seems to be pretty on top of special teams, but it’s sounding like he really dropped the ball at KICKER. We’ll see, but a terrible kicker really could lose us multiple games this year. I guess the silver lining is that this could force us to be more in line analytically in going for it in fourth down. 

I have often wondered if teams might not just be better off without a place kicker on the roster like you see in some high schools.  Not necessarily XP- you want to take that more often than not- but a guy that you just don't believe you ever want to trot out there to take a kick outside of 25 or 30 yards.  It would add some randomness that you might not like if you were a really really good team, but it might just be a benefit as a bad team.  Mike Leach and his walkon kicker tryouts at 2 or 3 different schools says hi.  As to punting- there is almost never a good and acceptable time to punt the ball on your own side of the 50, and we probably punt way too often on the other side of the 50.  I'd rather go on 4/12 at the 38 or 42 than kick. I'd rather go on 4 and inches on my own side of the field than kick. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have often wondered if teams might not just be better off without a place kicker on the roster like you see in some high schools.  Not necessarily XP- you want to take that more often than not- but a guy that you just don't believe you ever want to trot out there to take a kick outside of 25 or 30 yards.  It would add some randomness that you might not like if you were a really really good team, but it might just be a benefit as a bad team.  Mike Leach and his walkon kicker tryouts at 2 or 3 different schools says hi.  As to punting- there is almost never a good and acceptable time to punt the ball on your own side of the 50, and we probably punt way too often on the other side of the 50.  I'd rather go on 4/12 at the 38 or 42 than kick. I'd rather go on 4 and inches on my own side of the field than kick. 

Coaches are generally way too conservative with the ‘take the points’ stuff, but you still need a kicker, for end of game situations if nothing else. 

You are going to be in situations where to are tied or down by 3 or less with one drive left. Huge difference in only having to go 35 yards in 1 minute with no timeouts to set up a reasonable chance for a good kicker vs. having to go 55 for a chip shot. Or worse, needing a td. 

Well, this is interesting. Some aggy simulated the 2022 season 1,000 times. His results are posted on Reddit. He has done it before so you might have seen it. Here is one quote in the Reddit post about Texas:

It’s different, I doubt it will be better. I’ve been working on this for a few weeks, they’ve been doing this for years.

In terms of differences, one notable team to watch is Texas. ESPN’s FPI has Texas ranked #7 overall and are predicting they will go about 9-3 with a 17% chance of making the playoff. My model has Texas at #34 and is expecting them to go about 7-5 with a 2% chance of making the playoff. Now, you might look at my flair and think I’m putting my thumb on the scale here to make Texas worse. If I had to guess, ESPN is probably directly accounting for quarterback strength and coaching tenure in their model, so they’re expecting Sark to improve in year 2 with a highly touted QB prospect at the helm. The FPI is the best in the business, so I will be very interested to see how this pans out. If ESPN is right, Texas will be (mostly) back. My model is leaning towards a better season for Texas, but not necessarily playoff contenders.

Check it out on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/wxevkz/i_simulated_the_2022_season_1000_times_here_are/

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Guys shut the fuck up, @bejezuz is gonna go back to IT if you keep up the room and gloom. We don't need a fucking kicker. We can just go for 2 every time cuz we are going to fucking DOMINATE. 

Ok Scooby, ruh roh.

2 minutes ago, BB65 said:

Why the fuck are we discussing punts and FGs. Those are brakes. This team is all GAS. Fuck them brakes

fart GIF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dignan said:

Well, this is interesting. Some aggy simulated the 2022 season 1,000 times. His results are posted on Reddit. He has done it before so you might have seen it. Here is one quote in the Reddit post about Texas:

Check it out on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/wxevkz/i_simulated_the_2022_season_1000_times_here_are/

He’s got A&M at 8-4 so seems legit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

On a lunch break…what a beating this thread takes during the day…doesn’t matter because I just got a $9,000 raise so I’m pretty damn content.

However, this idea that somehow over the last decade we’ve had shit recruits is just ludicrous. We’ve had better recruits year over year than everyone in the Big12 save OU. People keep saying the cupboard is bare…blah blah blah…I feel like showing up at some of y’all’s houses or offices and taking your computer and smashing it and giving the parts to Goodwill so they can build one for some poor kid to use to take online classes at the university of samoa law school. The recruiting rankings aren’t wrong. We have chosen poorly since we fired Mack and it’s coaching + a few bad apples that were allowed to infect the program. Sure some are entitled dumbasses but most any good coach could have won more with what we had in our locker room. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't have an issue with being optimistic. Have at it. Folks who are grounding their view based on what they've witnessed have the same right to their position. 

As to the "people just want to go back and claim they called it" premise, it's absurd. There isn't a sane person on this thread that wouldn't trade a national title run for something trivial like thinking Sarkisian was a bad hire. Not one. You guys type stuff like that to rationalize why your outlook doesn't mesh with others who are applying history to their outlook.

Actually, no, again, incorrect. No actual Texas fan wants to see Sarkisian fail so they can claim foresight. That's logically idiotic and you can't support the premise without incorporating emotion in place of reason to uphold your position. Sarkisian was a terrible hire on paper. Indefensible. That's reality. Expecting people grounded in that to instead say "wow, what a hire huh? here we go!" is your problem with expectations. Nonetheless, one can still bluntly view the hire as terrible, and 2021 as further support for that view, and hope like hell that the future gets better with Seven Loss Steve at the helm.

"No actual Texas fan wants to see Sarkisian fail so they can claim foresight."

That's a Bingo. Your definition of Actual Texas Fan is different than mine.  Much different. Tell me how all of the negative posting does anything to help this University.  Does your posting make it better or worse?

I sense to some posters here that "being right" is more important than Texas winning. Agree to disagree, but that attitude is not far below the surface.

"Sarkisian was a terrible hire on paper. Indefensible." Terrible; extremely or distressingly bad or serious, causing or likely to cause terror; sinister.

Who or what do you want? 

Sark has a few coaching attributes that are at the top of the food chain; a brilliant offensive mind and he relates well to players, recruits & parents, and other coaches.  He's not the best at everything, but that's a great starting point.

Sark's choice for DC was vetoed. I agreed w/ the veto.  We ended up w/ a DC who did not know and had not coached with all the assistants. Can't put that all on Sark.

Sark is not the same person he was 10 or 20 years ago.  He faced adversity and overcame the challenges.   Can you not see that fact resonates well with recruits and their parents, the lifeblood of a college program? Is that terrible or indefensible? 

Top HS players want to play for Sark. He has signed and got commitments from top players that were heavily recruited by the last 3 National Champions, including 2 of the 3 highest rated QB's of all time. Is that terrible or indefensible?

Poor decision making and execution by the players on the field is 100% controlled by the players on the field. It's the coaches role to coach and the players role to play. Some of the players last year had the talent, but not the attitude.

Sark made a mistake in equating one with the other.  Regardless, those were the players he had and the only ones he had to choose from. 

The culture and character of the Texas team has been suspect for some time.  Last year showed what it really was.  There wasn't a lot on that team that was symptomatic of a championship level organization.  

Was it coaching or the players? Based on my 50+ years of watching Texas Football, I think it was the players.  The players quit.

The program needed to be rebuilt from the ground up.

I like Sark. But then again, I'm an actual Texas fan. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

On a lunch break…what a beating this thread takes during the day…doesn’t matter because I just got a $9,000 raise so I’m pretty damn content.

However, this idea that somehow over the last decade we’ve had shit recruits is just ludicrous. We’ve had better recruits year over year than everyone in the Big12 save OU. People keep saying the cupboard is bare…blah blah blah…I feel like showing up at some of y’all’s houses or offices and taking your computer and smashing it and giving the parts to Goodwill so they can build one for some poor kid to use to take online classes at the university of samoa law school. The recruiting rankings aren’t wrong. We have chosen poorly since we fired Mack and it’s coaching + a few bad apples that were allowed to infect the program. Sure some are entitled dumbasses but most any good coach could have won more with what we had in our locker room. 

Would be a lot more efficient to just steal the computer and give it to the poor kids. The smashing it part is entirely unnecessary.

18 minutes ago, Dignan said:

fuck that ice cube GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Bring it, you need my address? 

This roster was shit last year and has been for years. Our trenches have been bad since before Mack left. It would be interesting if there were  recruiting rankings on specific position groups to see how we faired over the years but out bust rate on the O-line has been astronomical and we have rarely gotten highly rated recruits on the D-line.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Bring it, you need my address? 

This roster was shit last year and has been for years. Our trenches have been bad since before Mack left. It would be interesting if there were  recruiting rankings on specific position groups to see how we faired over the years but out bust rate on the O-line has been astronomical and we have rarely gotten highly rated recruits on the D-line.

Cool. Here is some reading material for you when you take a potty break (until I can find your abode):

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-recruiting-rankings-teams-with-the-best-classes-over-a-five-year-average-entering-2021/amp/

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/john.dellape/viz/CollegeFootballRecruitingClassRankingsbyYear/Dashboard1

that second link you can filter and play with but it pretty much shows we should have been a lot better on the field than we have been. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Yeah, I agree. It is much harder to kick 32 yard field goals after practice in DKR than it is to kick in a high school football game.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Aggy is mostly sunshine, we are mostly doom and gloom whoda thunk.

I would rather have our offense and certainly would rather have their defense. I honestly think they have just a many questions about their team as we do ours. We shall see.

I think the jury is out on their defense this year, and even then real test is next year. 

Elko moved to Duke, it remains to be seen what Durkin can do with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1