2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Watching Casey Thompson once again shit down his leg in the second half, I believe this is a fair question.

Were our second half offensive struggles where we disappeared for a quarter and a half a Sarkisian issue or a Casey Thompson issue? I have no doubts the Nebraska coaches made halftime adjustments. But suddenly Thompson was off target and made stupid mistakes. The same mistakes he made last year. Different system, different team, same exact results. 

I think it’s fair to say Casey heavily contributed to those shitty second halves.  

• Hook 'Em 6

Casey's second half stats

Frustrated World Cup GIF

I will say both picks weren't on him. The first the WR let it go right through both hands into the defenders and the second was a tipped ball by the WR. If they were better throws to begin with maybe they don't happen but it was clear his throws and decision making were progressively getting worse as the game went on. 

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, TankedBevo said:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

I will say both picks weren't on him. The first the WR let it go right through both hands into the defenders and the second was a tipped ball by the WR. If they were better throws to begin with maybe they don't happen but it was clear his throws and decision making were progressively getting worse as the game went on. 

The game ending interception was definitely on Thompson. Threw it behind the WR and put no touch on a 5 yard pass. 

It was a pass that could have been caught but it was a terrible pass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Seeing the game today only solidified my thoughts that Card was never going to be considered for QB1. He couldn’t beat out Casey with a broken thumb. Same Casey whose M.O. is to shut down in the 2nd half of games. Seems like all that talk was to just light a fire under Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The game ending interception was definitely on Thompson. Threw it behind the WR and put no touch on a 5 yard pass. 

It was a pass that could have been caught but it was a terrible pass. 

Fair enough, I need to rewatch that last one to see just how far off it was. I used to play WR and am quick to blame them first when that shit hits your hands  

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

He threw two INTs. There’s no room on the stat line for explanations or excuses.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Fair enough, I need to rewatch that last one to see just how far off it was. I used to play WR and am quick to blame them first when that shit hits your hands  

If a few of your passes are behind the receiver, then they need to make a play. If you consistently throw passes high, fast, and behind the receiver, the outcome is on you as a qb. 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Oh lord imagine the meltdown if this was Sark. (Ignoring of course he couldn’t because of Bama week 2).

I mean they made the playoffs last year with the same setup. I also have season tickets to Michigan and I’m pleased with this announcement. 

• Drool 1

58 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I was surprised at how terrible Mathis looked. 

Would have still loved him but don't think he was going to be an impact player based on what we saw today. 

That is the Mathis of the last couple of seasons though. Worth taking a shot and seeing if he came motivated. Seems he is not though, albeit a small sample size.

Personally, it just further reinforces the decision by those Texas boosters carrying the NIL program. Don't break the bank for every player who comes around with their hand out.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I was friends with Shannon Kelley and Peter Gardere back in the day. I was running a little short slant from Shannon and the pass was thrown low and away and it fucking broke and dislocated my little finger. So a hard pass from 15 ft. away basically can't be caught unless you can get both hands on it.

That wasn't the problem with this pass though. https://www.foxsports.com/watch/play-5dea4e217001660 The receiver should have caught it but it wasn't as easy at it looks. It was thrown hard and behind the receiver when the receiver knows to look out in front of him for someone about to hit him. So first. he has to stop his momentum and then catch a hard thrown ball, thrown such that the ball is moving away from him as he attempts to catch it. And all this is happening while he expects to be hit. What is dumb is that Casey had tons of room to hit the receiver in stride and he didn't come close to executing. It is like someone trying to throw a wiffle ball past you and you don't know whether the guy is gonna throw it to the left or right, high or low - it makes catching it a little challenging. All this it to say fuck Casey Thompson and fuck his sooner dad.

snapshot.thumb.jpg.a9fa62ae5d4b5dd1050a49bedc0bcaba.jpg

snapshot.thumb.jpg.28e52b205d6b8bbb0d913873ad38a8f8.jpgsnapshot.thumb.jpg.28e52b205d6b8bbb0d913873ad38a8f8.jpg

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

If Quinn’s feel for the deep ball is half way as good as advertised I think people here are going to be very pleasantly surprised with what we are going to be able to dial up offensively.

Don’t have it in front of me but looked earlier and of something like 120ish QB’s with 20+ deep passing attempts (20+ yards), Casey ranked 98th last year in adjusted completion percentage ((completions + drops) / attempts).  

While he did dial up a nice deep ball on his derp derp 3rd down conversion today, I also counted 3 deep balls that were easy TD’s if he put it anywhere fucking close to his receiver.  Which he didn’t.  Just like all of last year.

• Hook 'Em 8

9 hours ago, coachherman'sgrill said:

Trying to read the room, overall, how are we feeling??
Drunk the Kool aid and we will bring back another national championship or lucky with another 5 wins?

We win the big 12 if the officials don't fuck us every chance they get.

Watching Casey Thompson once again shit down his leg in the second half, I believe this is a fair question.

Were our second half offensive struggles where we disappeared for a quarter and a half a Sarkisian issue or a Casey Thompson issue? I have no doubts the Nebraska coaches made halftime adjustments. But suddenly Thompson was off target and made stupid mistakes. The same mistakes he made last year. Different system, different team, same exact results. 

Hm, if only there was another QB on the roster who threw 83 passes so we could test this theory.

This thread is over. It’s not fall camp anymore. It’s Game Week people!  Only 14 or 25 of them this year before 8.5 months of nothingness settles in again and we are forced to spend time with our family, pay attention to our wines, go to kids soccer games etc. 

but, for these 4 months, we are kings. 
the beginning of the fall camp thread is always exciting because it means we are 5 or 6 weeks away but the end of fall camp, man, that’s where it’s at. 

• Like 1

Improved in-game adjustments should be top priority as Longhorns prepare to open season

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN       7 hours ago

Steve Sarkisian on Monday provided a nice checklist of things to look for when Texas takes the field Saturday at 7 pm CT as a 38.5-point favorite in the Longhorns' season opener against Louisiana-Monroe:

— Sarkisian said he feels like the 2022 version of the Longhorns is bigger, faster, tougher and closer.

— Based on what he’s seen in fall camp, Sarkisian also feels like his offense, defense and special teams can create explosive plays and that his defense can play tighter pass coverage to help give Texas something it didn’t have last year: a pass rush.

— Defensive players say going up against the best running back room in practice every day has helped improve UT’s porous run defense from a year ago.

— Kicking field goals could be an adventure.

— The cool, even-keeled nature of new starting quarterback Quinn Ewers has Sarkisian relying on body language, the decisiveness of throws and Ewers’ interaction with his teammates to read Ewers’ confidence.

“He appears very comfortable,” Sarkisian said of Ewers. “Quinn is not a wear-his-emotions-on-his-sleeve kind of guy. He’s a very mellow-mannered guy, which I like at the quarterback position. Yet I can feel his confidence.”

Added running back Bijan Robinson on Ewers: "He doesn't show any bad emotion. When he makes a mistake, nothing really creeps in his mind as far as negativity. He's ready."

The great thing and scary thing for Sarkisian about Saturday night’s season opener against Louisiana-Monroe is getting to see if all the off-season work trying to build better team bonds and better football IQs among his players is paying off.

“I think we’ve done a much better job of laying a foundation from a team standpoint than I did a year ago,” Sarkisian said Monday. “I’m not afraid to say that. I didn’t think I did a great job a year ago.

“We assessed everything in our program. I think we’ve done a better job of connecting our team that way. We feel closer. And in the end, the idea is that when adversity strikes, that bond is what’s going to pull us through. Maybe that’s what we were missing a year ago.”

On Saturday night, Texas fans will be eyeballing all the newcomers expected to make an impact this season, including Ewers, starting freshman left tackle Kelvin Banks and starting freshman right guard Cole Hutson (and keep an eye on No. 13 - freshman nickel/star Jaylon Guilbeau).

But perhaps more important than anything else on display Saturday night will be Sarkisian’s first look at how this year’s team is able to adjust in-game - player to player, coach-to-player and coach-to-coach. If the game gets out of hand early, that element might go totally unnoticed by fans. But it won't a week later when No. 1 Alabama rolls into Austin.

The inability to make second-half adjustments was the biggest disappointment of Year 1 under Sarkisian and was exposed as the Longhorns lost double-digit, third-quarter leads against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Baylor before spiraling to 5-7.

“I think our players are playing with a lot more confidence,” Sarkisian said. “Again, we haven’t faced the adversity yet. But I thought some of the errors that we made in those games a year ago came from a lack of confidence. It came from uncertainty. It came from not playing with a belief in the call and in myself and in the guy next to me. So, that’s what we’ve had to drill down and work on.

“We’re going to get faced with a bunch of tight moments. We’re gonna get put in difficult situations. How we respond is the key to the drill. And I feel more comfortable with our team understanding that aspect of it as opposed to hoping the ball bounces our way, and, when it doesn’t, we get the poor-me’s.

“The reality of it is, how we respond to the adversity - the tough times, the unfortunate luck - that’s what is going to ultimately make up what this team is about. And like I said, I feel good about it.”

Talking season is finally over. Now, it's time for the Longhorns to see if they can keep building on the momentum of an incredible off-season by looking like the team Sarkisian described on Monday.

Improved in-game adjustments should be top priority as Longhorns prepare to open season
By  FUCK CHIP BROWN       7 hours ago

— Based on what he’s seen in fall camp, Sarkisian also feels like his offense, defense and special teams can create explosive plays and that his defense can play tighter pass coverage to help give Texas something it didn’t have last year: a pass rush.

What does this mean? Our DL couldn’t get to the qb bc our corners were playing soft coverage?

i thought it worked the other way around, that you play more conservative coverage when you have a weaker pass rush and when you have a stronger pass rush you can play more aggressive coverage.

2 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

What does this mean? Our DL couldn’t get to the qb bc our corners were playing soft coverage?

i thought it worked the other way around, that you play more conservative coverage when you have a weaker pass rush and when you have a stronger pass rush you can play more aggressive coverage.

Soft coverage meant the ball could get out quickly. Sark basically said playing tight to make the QB, in theory, to hold the ball longer to give the rushers a chance to get home. He had some comment about if he had Donalson at a 3 tech he would play off and have DBs eyes on the QB, because that ball is coming out fast. 

1 minute ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

We were basically giving their WRs 10 yard cushions and asking our DL to hold blocks while we let our edges and LBs rush the passer.  Our interior guys couldn’t hold any blocks, our edges basically didn’t exist, and our LBs sucked ass.  The offenses essentially had plenty of time to sit back, count to 4 seconds throw to WRs that were bet given free releases with no press coverage.  This why so many people were saying that our front 7 and secondary were not on the same page and it looks like now that Bo Davis was also being told by PK to have his Dline basically hold blocks.  Probably a reason why he almost took the UF or LSU job.  This is probably an effect of hiring assistant coaches for Muschamp’s scheme and asking PK to come in and work with guys he’s never worked with that may not believe on the same defensive philosophy.  I will be shocked if PK is the DC after this season.  There is a reason Patterson is here helping PK fix this mess.

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We were basically giving their WRs 10 yard cushions and asking our DL to hold blocks while we let our edges and LBs rush the passer.  Our interior guys couldn’t hold any blocks, our edges basically didn’t exist, and our LBs sucked ass.  The offenses essentially had plenty of time to sit back, count to 4 seconds throw to WRs that were bet given free releases with no press coverage.  This why so many people were saying that our front 7 and secondary were not on the same page and it looks like now that Bo Davis was also being told by PK to have his Dline basically hold blocks.  Probably a reason why he almost took the UF or LSU job.  This is probably an effect of hiring assistant coaches for Muschamp’s scheme and asking PK to come in and work with guys he’s never worked with that may not believe on the same defensive philosophy.  I will be shocked if PK is the DC after this season.  There is a reason Patterson is here helping PK fix this mess.

This is just crazy. Bo Davis has worked and coached 2 gapping DL for years. If he hated coaching the technique, he would not have worked for Saban on 3 different occasions. 

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Yes.  He's not talking about press coverage specifically, just better coverage in general.

Edited by JBJ

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

will smith bullshit GIF