2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

5 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

This! 

Shane showed up and was ready to ball. He struggled down the stretch after some injuries but he was never scared. 

Sam had some WTF moments as a freshman that concerned me, but at least he made most of those while trying to make a play. You would rather your young QB try to make plays and make mistake than for them to be scared out their mind and freeze. There were plays to be made in that Arkansas game. Some big shots that could/would have turned the tide in that game. Even in the Kansas game Card was just going through the motions. 

The type of QB training he has had is good for pros who have shown the dog and talent to make it to the next level. They have the basics down and those stupid ass drills are trainings for when things break down. Card hasn’t learned how to handle a pocket or to relax and move on to the second read. 

I think there are some kids who see the game, and are willing to improvise or push to try and do something great- and there are some kids trying to be perfect. I think Card is in his head and not seeing the game. Also Ewers has more talent, so hopefully we don’t have to hope it clicks for Card. The only ones pushing a qb controversy are profiting directly and/or sponsoring the kid 

Last season’s championship game is on, and it’s Bama 9-6 late in the 3rd… and I’m wondering when it all changes, because my recollection is Georgia ended up putting it on them pretty good.  The Tide is driving, 1st and 10 on the Georgia 29, and Billingsley misses a block, and Robinson is tackled for a yard loss. Two plays later, 3rd and 11, and Young scrambles under tremendous pressure, but somehow finds Agiye Hall streaking across the field at the 10… and Hall can’t catch the perfect throw. Georgia then blocks the FG, takes over and then drives 80 yards in four plays, take the lead and they never trailed again. Some mistakes, but they played a lot

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Last season’s championship game is on, and it’s Bama 9-6 late in the 3rd… and I’m wondering when it all changes, because my recollection is Georgia ended up putting it on them pretty good.  The Tide is driving, 1st and 10 on the Georgia 29, and Billingsley misses a block, and Robinson is tackled for a yard loss. Two plays later, 3rd and 11, and Young scrambles under tremendous pressure, but somehow finds Agiye Hall streaking across the field at the 10… and Hall can’t catch the perfect throw. Georgia then blocks the FG, takes over and then drives 80 yards in four plays, take the lead and they never trailed again. Some mistakes, but they played a lot

You made a better choice than I did today. I watched the 2018 Big 12 championship today and been mad all damn day cause we blew that game and really was the better team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ATXhorn17 said:

To be fair to Hudson, every Longhorn on the roster shit their pants against Arkansas… He was thrown to the wolves and got absolutely zero help from his OL, WR or the run game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or his coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ATXhorn17 said:

To be fair to Hudson, every Longhorn on the roster shit their pants against Arkansas… He was thrown to the wolves and got absolutely zero help from his OL, WR or the run game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I contend once they saw their QB was frightened they knew they were lost. His demeanor from the first series had a big part of that. 

Edited by Hermanator

We just weren’t prepared at all for that environment and an Arkansas team that was actually good. They were 17 all with Rice going into the fourth quarter the week before, and despite all the warnings from the coaches, it was probably human nature to underestimate them (don’t eat the cheese). And the coaches probably underestimated the hatred the pig fans would have for us, even with their SEC background. Texas is a whole different level.

They were better than us, more ready than us, and the energy in the building must have been at 💯. Card and the rest of the team were overwhelmed, and it took Thompson reverting to Herman-style QB Hero Ball to rally us to any semblance of an offense in the second half.

It’s probably unfair to write off Card just due to Fayetteville, but in subsequent appearances, I didn’t see much reason for optimism. Situational awareness seemed off, which is just about everything for a QB. I expect Ewers to be just the opposite, a different arm angle, different trajectory, different speed on the ball… depending on the situation. And maybe he’ll actually know to scramble for the first down marker when he leaves the pocket. Card’s history as a good receiver never squared with his mediocre QB running ability, and that doesn’t make sense to me.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

We just weren’t prepared at all for that environment and an Arkansas team that was actually good. They were 17 all with Rice going into the fourth quarter the week before, and despite all the warnings from the coaches, it was probably human nature to underestimate them (don’t eat the cheese). And the coaches probably underestimated the hatred the pig fans would have for us, even with their SEC background. Texas is a whole different level.

They were better than us, more ready than us, and the energy in the building must have been at 💯. Card and the rest of the team were overwhelmed, and it took Thompson reverting to Herman-style QB Hero Ball to rally us to any semblance of an offense in the second half.

It’s probably unfair to write off Card just due to Fayetteville, but in subsequent appearances, I didn’t see much reason for optimism. Situational awareness seemed off, which is just about everything for a QB. I expect Ewers to be just the opposite, a different arm angle, different trajectory, different speed on the ball… depending on the situation. And maybe he’ll actually know to scramble for the first down marker when he leaves the pocket. Card’s history as a good receiver never squared with his mediocre QB running ability, and that doesn’t make sense to me.

Well,  he will always have those badass highlights from highschool.  

disappointed fifth element GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Arkansas was on Sark. He prepared for a 4 man front and even said he was caught off guard by the drop 8 defense. That was crazy, since that was the defense they ran against him the prior year. Card was put in a bad spot and he didn’t react well. It doesn’t mean he can’t overcome those issues, but coaches can’t ignore them either. I don’t want Ewers to win the job, because I don’t trust Card. I want Ewers to win, because he is the most talented player. He gives the team the highest ceiling, assuming he plays well. It’s the same reason I want to see Collins and  Crawford start the opening week. Texas has just had so many “talented, but inconsistent” players that last decade. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Arkansas was on Sark. He prepared for a 4 man front and even said he was caught off guard by the drop 8 defense. That was crazy, since that was the defense they ran against him the prior year. Card was put in a bad spot and he didn’t react well. It doesn’t mean he can’t overcome those issues, but coaches can’t ignore them either. I don’t want Ewers to win the job, because I don’t trust Card. I want Ewers to win, because he is the most talented player. He gives the team the highest ceiling, assuming he plays well. It’s the same reason I want to see Collins and  Crawford start the opening week. Texas has just had so many “talented, but inconsistent” players that last decade. 

Arkansas was on Sark, agreed. Saban had trouble with piggy last year as well, didn't he?  Although, be fair, no problems for them in '20, with Sark at OC.

Sark had some odd calls all year, not to mention keeping his thumbless QB on the field. But at least he got past his perfect record of never coming back to win a game when trailing at half. 

Edited by Tex Long
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Arkansas was on Sark, agreed. Saban had trouble with piggy last year as well, didn't he?  Although, be fair, no problems for them in '20, with Sark at OC.

Sark had some odd calls all year, not to mention keeping his thumbless QB on the field. But at least he got past his perfect record of never coming back to win a game when trailing at half. 

The thumbless QB didn’t make things easy either. Couldn’t throw a ball in the ISU game, threw record number of TDs vs Kansas 7 days later, and couldn’t throw a ball vs WV 7 days later. I don’t where the trailing at halftime comes from, but I watched KSU game and I know it is not true 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s a little ironic we’re all hoping that Collins figures it out, but that QBs are done after one or two crappy performances. Scheme or not, Collins only has flashed a handful of times.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The thumbless QB didn’t make things easy either. Couldn’t throw a ball in the ISU game, threw record number of TDs vs Kansas 7 days later, and couldn’t throw a ball vs WV 7 days later. I don’t where the trailing at halftime comes from, but I watched KSU game and I know it is not true 

Trailing at halftime leading to always losing the game in Sark's HC history was mentioned by various talking heads during the season, and we did finally come back versus KState, to break that Sark jinx. I think the no-comeback was 11 for 11, maybe 12, prior.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

It’s a little ironic we’re all hoping that Collins figures it out, but that QBs are done after one or two crappy performances. Scheme or not, Collins only has flashed a handful of times.

I had to check the rulebook this offseason to make sure development was allowed in college football. We aren’t used to guys improving year over year at Texas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He wasn’t prepared for the three defensive linemen to wreck his offensive line

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

I contend once they saw their QB was frightened they knew they were lost. His demeanor from the first series had a big part of that. 

That is just revisionist history fitting a narrative. I watched a video of his plays vs. Louisiana and Arkansas. In the Louisiana game, he was constantly dodging a free defender in the backfield. He looked like a guy with no help. The offensive line was letting people get a free shot on him.

At Arkansas, JWhitt wasn’t able to catch a wide open pass in the end zone, nor passes that hit him in the hands beyond 10 yards. Moore also struggled, to catch and either Card or Moore was off on several wide open deep balls (worthy seemed capable of catching). Card was also got hit out of bounds and after the whistle while the officials just did dick about it. Card also stepped up for a throw and Arkansas defender had a free shot at him while 2, 2 fucking no-linemen were standing next to him unengaged.

I couldn’t watch anymore after that. We had 5 players on offense that day. 2 RBs, 2 QBs, and 1 WR. JWhitt seemed capable of catching only 10 yards and under that game. Quite a reversal in performance than he had against Louisiana where he looked like we thought he would.

TLDR: Card wasn’t even the top 5 reason we lost that game.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

He wasn’t prepared for the three defensive linemen to wreck his offensive line

On the other hand, I'm always prepared for three or fewer defensive linemen to wreck our offensive line.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

On 8/6/2022 at 12:04 AM, Hornlover said:

Cool. Cool. Cool. 

Wait. Why is Jamison catching a ball 2 feet inside and 3 feet over JWhit's head? That's a terrible throw. 

What if the defender took over the route then high pointed the ball? That would mean great defense was played. Yay.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It’s not ironic.  It is consistency. I am rooting for the most talented player at every position. 

Edited by Codaxx

Even better than the bullshit of the last few pages from this gaggle of mental dwarfs, Texas is beating Gary Patterson’s ass in 2007 on LHN and Ricky and Crew are about to do the same to Okie State in 1998 to follow. 

Man, I remember when Texas would play those teams it felt like a fucking birthright to beat them. If memory serves, Stockton had to hit a FG to win it against Okie State. People were fucking pissed that game was so close, in year 1 of Brown’s era. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That is just revisionist history fitting a narrative. I watched a video of his plays vs. Louisiana and Arkansas. In the Louisiana game, he was constantly dodging a free defender in the backfield. He looked like a guy with no help. The offensive line was letting people get a free shot on him.

At Arkansas, JWhitt wasn’t able to catch a wide open pass in the end zone, nor passes that hit him in the hands beyond 10 yards. Moore also struggled, to catch and either Card or Moore was off on several wide open deep balls (worthy seemed capable of catching). Card was also got hit out of bounds and after the whistle while the officials just did dick about it. Card also stepped up for a throw and Arkansas defender had a free shot at him while 2, 2 fucking no-linemen were standing next to him unengaged.

I couldn’t watch anymore after that. We had 5 players on offense that day. 2 RBs, 2 QBs, and 1 WR. JWhitt seemed capable of catching only 10 yards and under that game. Quite a reversal in performance than he had against Louisiana where he looked like we thought he would.

Everyone was lost that day. Card shit his pants on the first series and it was visible to everyone. All hope is lost when the general shits his pants in front of everyone at the outset of battle. 

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I had to check the rulebook this offseason to make sure development was allowed in college football. We aren’t used to guys improving year over year at Texas.

I just want to see more of the high ceiling guys develop, especially on defense. It’s really hard to pick a defensive player, but you might be able to argue Ojomo was the most consistent player last year. You have Jamison, who has been up and down his whole career. Collins and Sweat are usually good for a couple solid plays and then disappear (you add Coburn to that). Overshown is still figuring things out. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

People were fucking pissed that game was so close, in year 1 of Brown’s era. 

Same with that 07 TCU game, IIRC. Matter of fact, people were generally furious that year, and we finished the season 10-3 and plastered Arizona St. in the Holiday Bowl. We'll build Sark a statue if he wins 10 games this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nivek said:

He was certainly top 5. Ark and WV games are good examples. Card looked terrible early vs WV and then on a 3rd down he gets a lucky tipped pass for a first down. After that, he looks completely different. If Jwhitt doesn’t have the drops (TD pass would have been a good catch) or Worthy doesn’t run a terrible route, maybe the Card story is different on that day. This also highlights Card’s biggest issue. He had issues forgetting the last play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Same with that 07 TCU game, IIRC. Matter of fact, people were generally furious that year, and we finished the season 10-3 and plastered Arizona St. in the Holiday Bowl. We'll build Sark a statue if he wins 10 games this year. 

I started a blog right before that season. Or better yet, I got ready to start one. Got the url and word press set up. Wrote my first blog post “7-6 On A Bullet” and enumerated all of the reasons I thought Mack Brown’s sloth with his staff and recruiting were coming home to roost that year. Posted it but never mentioned it. Got really busy with life, never thought about it again for 3 months. Something reminds me of it, I go back and look when Texas is 9-3. “Yeesh. “ Deleted the whole thing. 

I remember people being pissed that year. I remember being surprised we were as good as we were. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I started a blog right before that season. Or better yet, I got ready to start one. Got the url and word press set up. Wrote my first blog post “7-6 On A Bullet” and enumerated all of the reasons I thought Mack Brown’s sloth with his staff and recruiting were coming home to roost that year. Posted it but never mentioned it. Got really busy with life, never thought about it again for 3 months. Something reminds me of it, I go back and look when Texas is 9-3. “Yeesh. “ Deleted the whole thing. 

I remember people being pissed that year. I remember being surprised we were as good as we were. 

We closed out 2007 with Jamaal Charles playing hero ball for us to cover up for the disastrous defense. Wasn’t that the Mac Duff era on defense? 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s not ironic.  It is consistency. I am rooting for the most talented player at every position. 

Do you want the most consistent or the most talented?

Ultimately, I realize we all want the most talented to be the most consistent, but how often does that actually happen?

I’m not referring to anyone in particular here but narratives are formed then they proceed to confirm their biases. For some Card is doomed to always be who he is and Collins is a misused talent.

I hope Collins turns into the guy he is supposed to be. But maybe has already.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Maybe a Co-Op Statue, but Mack Brown won a National Championship and played for another, and he doesn't have a statue. 

12 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

We practiced yesterday, but I haven’t seen any 9.95er recap, though Nahlin says he might have something this afternoon. Looks like Sark clamped down on the leaks pretty effectively.

Hell yeah. Head coaching 101. Castigate players that talk to the media too openly (moro ojomo). Alienate the media and fans. Then underperform and don't take any responsibility in post game pressers. Sark has got this guys

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Do you want the most consistent or the most talented?

Ultimately, I realize we all want the most talented to be the most consistent, but how often does that actually happen?

I’m not referring to anyone in particular here but narratives are formed then they proceed to confirm their biases. For some Card is doomed to always be who he is and Collins is a misused talent.

I hope Collins turns into the guy he is supposed to be. But maybe has already.

I have asked why Collins is graded on a curve compared to everyone else.