2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

It seems to make sense that when your offense is explosive, it doesn’t hold on to the ball very long per possession. And when your defense is bad, your opponent keeps the ball longer per possession unless they are all similarly explosive. Those two things would naturally lead to loss of TOP over the course of a game. 

Our offense also stagnated and generated 3 and outs at an alarming rate. It was boom or bust.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that this offense last year was either going 3 and out or driving 80 yards down the field with little resistance. Seemed like there were very few drives where they got a few first downs then stalled out.

In 2021, they lacked TE's and WR's that were consistent at helping the offense convert on 3rd downs.  Whittington getting hurt was a big loss to sustaining drives in 2021.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is silly. The true freshmen have literally never shown a single thing in pads on a college football field. They started right where they should have, the bottom. People are acting like there have never been busts. 

It's only a problem if they are kept there after proving they're better. 

Open mindedness would be better. Earning

your Decal is dumb. The freshmen have proven more in their football life right now than Max Merrill. 

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is silly. The true freshmen have literally never shown a single thing in pads on a college football field. They started right where they should have, the bottom. People are acting like there have never been busts. 

It's only a problem if they are kept there after proving they're better. 

Agreed... and loved hearing Flood say it.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Viper said:

He did say should, that doesn't mean it will be. 

We added one ILB to our front 7 from last year. The same front 7 that got dominated in the majority of games last year. Ovie is still a starting edge. 
There’s no basis for concluding this defense should be strongest against the run.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

IT practice notes. 3-4 defense is interesting. Would be big if Tucker Dorsey grabbed a starting spot next to Ford.
Spoiler

Based solely on the first practice, the first person mentioned to IT was senior cornerback D’Shawn Jamison who had three interceptions on the day. One pick came during 7 on 7 and two picks occurred during team. His best interception was when he used his eyes and jumped a route he wasn’t covering. 

That brings us to quarterback play. Hudson Card had the better first practice. I believe he threw one pick to Jamison with Quinn Ewers throwing two. 

Despite the picks, the day was said to be about 50/50 during passing sessions between receivers and defensive backs. Receivers mentioned were Ja’Tavion Sanders who made some quality receptions, including a touchdown, as well as Isaiah Neyor who did the same. Both of those TD’s were thrown by Card. We’re unsure if Ewers threw some TD’s. 

The first practice is pretty meaningless, especially since they’re not in pads. It’s important to note spring ball started off similarly before Ewers began to turn it on.

Overall they ran a surprising amount of plays during team work, but since they weren’t in pads, it’s tough to glean anything from the run game, run defense, etc.

First practice is always used for basic install and recapping the early days of spring ball. The offense was largely in 12 personnel with Sanders playing for a handicapped Jahleel Billingsley. Gunnar Helm joined Sanders with the first team.

Defense showed a lot of base 3-4. There’s some optimism transfer Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey could solidify the ILB position next to Jaylan Ford. This of course would allow De’Marvion Overshown to play more outside. Tuck is already known for good communication, good study habits, hard work, and a generally good attitude.

That’s about it for now.

A “3-4” with Overshown as one of the two OLBs probably ends up looking something like the Patriots’ big nickel. Really more of a 4-2-5, with 2-3 linemen, a guy like Sorrell or Finkley on one or both edges, functionally playing DE; then two conventional LBs, and Overshown moving around as a bigger, potentially more blitz happy (I imagine a lot of their interest in moving Overshown around is to create opportunities for him to rush the passer without having to engage a OL) version of what the Patriots use Adrian Phillips for.

It basically lends itself to crowding the box (because we’re terrible against the run), while keeping some extra speed on the field and trying to manufacture an unconventional pass rush (because the conventional one doesn’t exist, as PK noted) with Overshown, and really meaning it when saying there’s going to be more man coverage in the secondary.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

He did say should, that doesn't mean it will be. 

There is a 100 year old poster on this board who keeps talking about sex with chickens. He also said we should beat Bama. Maybe he meant we should beat Bama. 

I'd like to apologize to that senile and bestial man.

Edited by JFKFC

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We added one ILB to our front 7 from last year. The same front 7 that got dominated in the majority of games last year. Ovie is still a starting edge. 
There’s no basis for concluding this defense should be strongest against the run.

What if they try harder? 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

This seems problematic. 

I think Bobby is way off on some of this stuff. I do believe that Barron will be a difference maker, and I also believe that Crawford is going to win the starting job at safety eventually. He is too much of an athletic upgrade and is a willing tackler. Cook seems to be a bit of a ball hawk at times in the back end, run support TBD. I think Jamison is what he is at this point, but Watts should be an upgrade on the other side. He may not be a lockdown corner, but he should at least make it tough on offenses over the top. If our secondary wasn't improved from last year, then we wouldn't be playing tighter coverage.  

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

your Decal is dumb. The freshmen have proven more in their football life right now than Max Merrill. 

The only football life that matters is what they did at this level. Which at this point is nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Explosive but not efficient Offense in 2021.

Time of possession (TOP) problem in 2021.

• Games Texas won TOP     Record  4-0
  • Games Texas lost TOP      Record  1-7

Texas on avg possessed the ball only 28 minutes per game in 2021.

Texas was 110th in TOP last year.

Going off memory, so I might be slightly off. Defense ranked in the 80s on 3 and outs. Offense was around 90. Defense on average gave up ~50% of available yards. (Ex opposing offense starts at the 20. They end at the Texas 40). Couple that with an offense that ranked 120th in  drives starting in poor field position. Those stats are a multiplier for bad play from both units 

12 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Welp I'm pretty sure the entire season is fucked based on the assumed depth chart from the first practice where they're not even in pads and in which the head coach himself says that the depth chart is irrelevant and that everybody is getting the same reps and they're just working on installation. But otherwise, carry on. 

Holy shit the vaginismis is really strong in here today. Get ahold of yourselves. Jesus. 

41 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

The hand wringing over Freshman being at the bottom of the depth chart on the first day of practice is absurd. People here, on this site have been complaining for years about the poor culture of this football team. The current coaching staff is trying to instill a culture of earn what you get and people are on open arms about it. Everyone understands that Max Merrill will be behind these guys on the depth chart soon but in no way shape or form should he be behind them when they put on a jersey for the first time on the practice field. You want to build a program and culture from the ground up, you start at the ground with everyone. It is a process, a procedure. It is what it is and it is what it should be. Let the process work itself out because it will and there is no amount of bitching and moaning that will change it.

I think there's a chance, maybe a tiny chance, that you guys are taking the thoughts from Day 1 by the posters here more seriously than you should be.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fall camp 3 of Troy omeire hype. Ctj gotta love it 

I am amused by hopeful updates on Troy Omeire in the same fashion as I was when we'd here optimistic thoughts around Kirk Johnson. I view Whittington updates with the same humor if I didn't think he was pretty damned important to the team. 

In any event, I view the odds of either guy making it through the season unhurt as close to 0% and the odds that they both make it through unscathed as exactly 0%. They're both made of glass.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I feel similarly about new players having to “earn” a logo on their helmet or removal of a stripe, or whatever macguffin is being used. 

coaching staff just basically begged them for maybe 18 months to join the team. Then they show up and aren’t really team members until?

I believe most schools camp without decals. No reason to waste them and equipment staff time during practice. I think it was a Herman thing to “earn” them. Also, he had that damn freshemen stripe thing as well. 

6 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

The only football life that matters is what they did at this level. Which at this point is nothing. 

Cool. So every single other walk of life we don’t do this kind of nonsense but football is so unique and different to every other culture that it is the only way we can possibly do it, as it came down on high from a glorified PE teacher 90 years ago so it must be holy writ. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think there's a chance, maybe a tiny chance, that you guys are taking the thoughts from Day 1 by the posters here more seriously than you should be.

I am amused by hopeful updates on Troy Omeire in the same fashion as I was when we'd here optimistic thoughts around Kirk Johnson. I view Whittington updates with the same humor if I didn't think he was pretty damned important to the team. 

In any event, I view the odds of either guy making it through the season unhurt as close to 0% and the odds that they both make it through unscathed as exactly 0%. They're both made of glass.

He’s hot  tubbing, cold tubbing, working with a masseuse and doing Yoga. That’s all the stuff he should have been doing for years. If he still ends up on the shelf it will never happen. 

Just now, closetohumping said:

Yep. Have no idea why Tyler Johnson wasn’t our starting left tackle. 

This has gotten way too much conversation. It is what it is, even Neyor started at the bottom. This shit will change inside of a week and this will be out an outdated conversation. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Omeire- The Longhorn Bigfoot.

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s hot  tubbing, cold tubbing, working with a masseuse and doing Yoga. That’s all the stuff he should have been doing for years. If he still ends up on the shelf it will never happen. 

I'm open to a bet on how many games Whittington plays in entirety this year. Let me know your total and what kind of money you want to put down on it. For anyone shrieking about the grim nature of this kind of bet, they can put me on ignore and get back to clutching their pearls on other subject matter. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Codaxx said:

This has gotten way too much conversation. It is what it is, even Neyor started at the bottom. This shit will change inside of a week and this will be out an outdated conversation. 

Without a doubt.  Patience.  Literally their first day of practice and we want the coaches to tell Merrill to fuck off.  We have no idea how the freshmen will react in a college environment.  Literally have not shown a thing. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

It’s never a bad conversation to examine process and find out if it’s the best way to attack a problem. 

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nope, still wrong. 

Neyor started first team because he has proven himself on a college field. Was he really at the bottom of a depth chart? Where?

Your logic would have handed Tray Allen a starting spot when he showed up. 

Edited by Huckleberry

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm open to a bet on how many games Whittington plays in entirety this year. Let me know your total and what kind of money you want to put down on it. For anyone shrieking about the grim nature of this kind of bet, they can put me on ignore and get back to clutching their pearls on other subject matter. 

Gimme 10 participations. 
btw- I wasn’t arguing he would be ok- just that it’s nice to finally hear he’s doing everything he should have been doing for years. 

btw- I will give you $500 on 7 or less if you give me $1000 for 10 or more… bet?  Edit to clarify- I mean team wins here not Whittington  participations. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Nope, still wrong. 

Neyor started first team because he has proven himself on a college field. Was he really at the bottom of a depth chart? Where?

Your logic would have handed Tray Allen a starting spot when he showed up. 

He started at the bottom of the depth chart in spring ball, even behind walkons on day 1 iirc. He ran second team behind Marcus Washington for a bit, then took over the starting job a couple of weeks in. I expect the same to happen with a bunch of positions throughout camp. This is pretty normal stuff. The only truly important depth chart that happens in fall camp is what the starters look like when they start game prep 2 weeks from kickoff. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Without a doubt.  Patience.  Literally their first day of practice and we want the coaches to tell Merrill to fuck off.  We have no idea how the freshmen will react in a college environment.  Literally have not shown a thing. 

I am on the other side of this. Coaches and players have seen these kids in workouts. They have better idea of where they are than people think. Did they come in out of shape? How focused are they in workouts? All that said I listened to Sark and he said every unit gets the same reps for the next couple days, so it doesn’t matter. Once the pads and rep schemes change, so will the depth chart. No need to have this clog up 2 pages, it isn’t that big of an issue 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I got 100 that he plays at least 8 games. I’m not willing to go super big money but I’ll definitely bet a round of cheap drinks. 

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Nah, just the new Butch Hadnot or Sneezy Beltran or Kirk Johnson

I like him as the true Big Foot. This large mythical beast that some claim to have caught a glimpse of on the field, but we 0 proof of it in a game. The others at least showed glimpses of talent in games 

I think Bobby is way off on some of this stuff. I do believe that Barron will be a difference maker, and I also believe that Crawford is going to win the starting job at safety eventually. He is too much of an athletic upgrade and is a willing tackler. Cook seems to be a bit of a ball hawk at times in the back end, run support TBD. I think Jamison is what he is at this point, but Watts should be an upgrade on the other side. He may not be a lockdown corner, but he should at least make it tough on offenses over the top. If our secondary wasn't improved from last year, then we wouldn't be playing tighter coverage.  

Take out Tech (keep in mind that game was essentially over), who beat our corners deep? OU had an incredible catch on pretty solid coverage. Arkansas had a deep ball but that may have been a safety issue. We gave up a limited number of deep balls. We called the game scared versus what happened. I think we’d have been better served daring teams to go deep versus giving the sticks.

With respect to Cook, he was good at times, but his shortcomings get over looked with respect to individual plays. We all know he’s not agile enough to be a top flight corner but maybe safety is his fit. He did get 1 more pick in the spring game than he had all last year. In my opinion, it’s a stretch to call him a ball hawk at any time.

I’m there with you on the prospects of Barron and Crawford. At the same time DBs need time to grow. Ours may not get that though. Thompson does show up near the play quite often, but he needs to finish it. If he can do that, he’d be solid in the run game.

3 minutes ago, Nope said:

Campbell getting reps at backup center is intriguing 

Totally agree on that. I wanted to see Neto or Campbell get reps there. It is such an important position. Guard is the easiest position on the OL to fill. Figuring out center and tackle should come first and I think Campbell could be a legit center.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Gimme 10 participations. 
btw- I wasn’t arguing he would be ok- just that it’s nice to finally hear he’s doing everything he should have been doing for years. 

btw- I will give you $500 on 7 or less if you give me $1000 for 10 or more… bet?  Edit to clarify- I mean team wins here not Whittington  participations. 

I'm willing to let CTJ out of our QB bet to make this happen. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Take out Tech (keep in mind that game was essentially over), who beat our corners deep? OU had an incredible catch on pretty solid coverage. Arkansas had a deep ball but that may have been a safety issue. We gave up a limited number of deep balls. We called the game scared versus what happened. I think we’d have been better served daring teams to go deep versus giving the sticks.

With respect to Cook, he was good at times, but his shortcomings get over looked with respect to individual plays. We all know he’s not agile enough to be a top flight corner but maybe safety is his fit. He did get 1 more pick in the spring game than he had all last year. In my opinion, it’s a stretch to call him a ball hawk at any time.

I’m there with you on the prospects of Barron and Crawford. At the same time DBs need time to grow. Ours may not get that though. Thompson does show up near the play quite often, but he needs to finish it. If he can do that, he’d be solid in the run game.

Crawford is a guy I hope to hear good practice reports on. He is by far the best athlete at Safety and another guy that could really improve the defense. He plays safety though, so he has to be able to limit mistakes first. Safety busts tend to go for 80 yard TDs. For him it is just about consistency 

• Hook 'Em 2