2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a very, very stupid post. We had like 5 defenses in the top 25 of DFEI. 

Except he basically never makes a play in a game, just gets blown up. 

Broughton has always been soft. He’s a basketball player in a football player’s body. It was obvious in HS he was massively overrated and soft as fuck. Him being what he is isn’t a surprise to people who were paying attention. He plays high, has a weak lower half, so it’s no surprise he’s soft and can’t anchor. Collina is a disappointment, but it sounds like he just hasn’t put in the work. 

This is my point. People keep talking about scheme as an elixir. The truth is Texas has gotten little development out of Coburn, Sweat, Collins, and Broughton. Coburn’s best year was arguably his freshman year. Collins and Sweat are an enigma to me. Broughton is still playing too high and his base is weak. Both of these should be correctable, unless you believe he is just too stiff and lacks bend. At the next level all of these guys have the body type that will  be asked to 2 gap at some point. At this point in their careers, especially Sweat and Coburn, we should be seeing them play near their ceilings. I won’t argue that a scheme change may help a bit,  but it is missing the real issue. The develop of these guys has been piss poor. I can’t say if it is attitude, commitment, or coaching, but none of them have graduated beyond a flash or 2 a game. Broughton is more about flashing in this camp. We have yet to see him put together even a series of high level play in a real game. Take that and pair it with generally C- LB play at best and you get mediocre to bad defense that we have come accustomed to watching. If Texas is going to have a solid defense this year, at least 2 of these 4 need to grow up and become consistent players. If you want to bring it to the simplest aspect of defense. The real issue is there isn’t a single player in the front 7 that an opposing coach has to game plan for. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Every intermediate throw in that clip Ewers is putting too much air on the ball. Maybe he’ll zip those in there when it matters but still kinda strange.

Opposing DB's are going to be told to be aggressive in trying to intercept bubble screen throws if those passes have no velocity on them.

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Wtf is this?

1 I don’t think a cfb player should be associated with gambling 

2 I hope this nil shit isn’t a distraction.  There needs to be a set time line where kids can talk to these businesses

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Like when a throw is “sick”

I see I’m not the only old that’s bout it bout it

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Every intermediate throw in that clip Ewers is putting too much air on the ball. Maybe he’ll zip those in there when it matters but still kinda strange.

Outside the hashes looked like lazy throws for sure. He needs to put more into those. He looked very comfortable on the move though.

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, despite having Casey Thumbson and Hudson Card as his two options last year, we still led the Big 12 in passing TD’s and ranked 3rd in offensive efficiency. That was with Marcus Washington and Joshua Moore as our primary #2 receiver options for half the season.

One thing I always noticed with Lincoln Riley is he could put his QB’s on a joystick and pretty much control them despite their flaws. We saw this big time with Jalen Hurts in 2019 who was not a good passer at all. I see some of the abilities with Sark when it comes to QB’s. He is able to scheme around a lot of stuff to make life easier on them (think about the OU game with dudes running wide open and the numerous deep shots each game).

Jalen Hurts couldn't pass?

Just now, ApocalypseTexas said:

Do we have a leader on defense yet?  Not a blow hard verbal guy but a true alpha dog leader?  Until we have that this defense will struggle.  

please please please stop talking about Foster makes me want to break shit just thinking about his lack of effort.

Yeah but he’s 5’7 205.  On the plus side he hits like a pair of bricks

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is my point. People keep talking about scheme as an elixir. The truth is Texas has gotten little development out of Coburn, Sweat, Collins, and Broughton. Coburn’s best year was arguably his freshman year. Collins and Sweat are an enigma to me. Broughton is still playing too high and his base is weak. Both of these should be correctable, unless you believe he is just too stiff and lacks bend. At the next level all of these guys have the body type that will  be asked to 2 gap at some point. At this point in their careers, especially Sweat and Coburn, we should be seeing them play near their ceilings. I won’t argue that a scheme change may help a bit,  but it is missing the real issue. The develop of these guys has been piss poor. I can’t say if it is attitude, commitment, or coaching, but none of them have graduated beyond a flash or 2 a game. Broughton is more about flashing in this camp. We have yet to see him put together even a series of high level play in a real game. Take that and pair it with generally C- LB play at best and you get mediocre to bad defense that we have come accustomed to watching. If Texas is going to have a solid defense this year, at least 2 of these 4 need to grow up and become consistent players. If you want to bring it to the simplest aspect of defense. The real issue is there isn’t a single player in the front 7 that an opposing coach has to game plan for. 

We were 52 in DFEI, we were fucking dog shit on defense. 

13 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Neither QB was worth a shit but Card was worse. 3 picks in last session, 2 would have been housed.

Both had their struggles yesterday.

Picking a QB winner at yesterday's practice is like trying to determine the best fart in a 10 bed colonoscopy recovery room...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Outside the hashes looked like lazy throws for sure. He needs to put more into those. He looked very comfortable on the move though.

If that’s what practice normally looks like I can actually see why the 9.95ers are getting the narrative that Card is better in the short and intermediate game but Ewers is better stretching the field.

Agreed on Ewers looking good on the move. He is going to be good on bootlegs and throws on the run.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

Higher quality video footage of the open practice has been posted on YouTube:

Damn, Card did practically nothing good in 11-on-11. Held it too long. Timing was awful. Ewers looked very good. It’s not even close. Great patience, timing, and touch. The offense actually moved under him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Damn, Card did practically nothing good in 11-on-11. Held it too long. Timing was awful. Ewers looked very good. It’s not even close. Great patience, timing, and touch. The offense actually moved under him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither QB looked particularly good.

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Guessing Ewers was told tonight he’s QB1. Good.

That’s how I read it. 

Austin Gamblers: We are ready to engage in an NIL opportunity with you, but need to ensure you are QB1 before we finalize it.

Quinn: Sounds good. I will contact you upon confirmation 

***time passes by***

Quinn: Sark told me tonight I’m QB1

Austin Gamblers: Welcome aboard, son. Go ahead and run the twitter video we shot. P.S. Don’t fuckin suck

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

That’s how I read it. 

Austin Gamblers: We are ready to engage in an NIL opportunity with you, but need to ensure you are QB1 before we finalize it.

Quinn: Sounds good. I will contact you upon confirmation 

***time passes by***

Quinn: Sark told me tonight I’m QB1

Austin Gamblers: Welcome aboard, son. Go ahead and run the twitter video we shot. P.S. Don’t fuckin suck

Like a semi pro bull riding club has any standards or leverage to wait on anything. 🙄

I just went back and watched it again. Quinn looked way better in the pocket but he had way better protection. Card held on way too long and would have been sacked like 5 times if they would have blown the whistle at appropriate times. Some of his under pressure throws were just dumb. I'm guessing Card was behind the #2 O-Line?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

I just went back and watched it again. Quinn looked way better in the pocket but he had way better protection. Card held on way too long and would have been sacked like 5 times if they would have blown the whistle at appropriate times. Some of his under pressure throws were just dumb. I'm guessing Card was behind the #2 O-Line?

Actually that was card behind the 1990s Dallas cowboys offensive line 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Went back and jotted down each 11 on 11 snap

Ewers completed 11 of 19 passes, took 2 would be sacks, had the beautiful throw to Thompson for a TD and also threw an INT on a tipped ball

Card completed 7 of 14 passes, took 2 would be sacks, had two nice touchdown throws and had 3 INT’s, one of which looked like it was a tipped ball on a RB check down.

So ewers better. Got it

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Card held on way too long and would have been sacked like 5 times if they would have blown the whistle at appropriate times.

That's what I counted, too. Some people are being way too generous with blowing the whistle. He was getting sacked right and left. Also, to be fair to him, those "interceptions" shouldn't be considered interceptions either. The plays were pretty much dead. I guess the question is why did he still throw those balls, though? It only makes him look worse after a sack.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ewers completed 11 of 19 passes, took 2 would be sacks, had the beautiful throw to Thompson for a TD and also threw an INT on a tipped ball

Card completed 7 of 14 passes, took 2 would be sacks, had two nice touchdown throws and had 3 INT’s, one of which looked like it was a tipped ball on a RB check down.

mental health anxiety GIF

My dog, your bias stinks to high heaven here. It was much more than 2.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

fantastic work here. where do I send my $9,95?

Just now, Longhornlove said:

He isn't talking about where they blew the whistle but where they should have blown the whistle.

Well I just tried to keep it as objective as possible. Didn’t want to get into what counts as a sack or doesn’t, which OL they were playing in front of, which WR group was in. Just wanted to know the result of the play.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm not sure we ever recovered from that loss," said Sarkisian, who stuck with Thompson as the starter because the Longhorns had more success finishing drives those first three games when he was on the field.

"But it never got comfortable. It was back and forth throughout the year, and we never found our rhythm. I'm a big believer that position is the most important position in sports for a reason, because that person instills belief in everybody else in the organization, the offense, the defense, the coaching staff, the fans, everybody. ... And we never got that last year. We just never got that mojo the right way."

Sark basically saying the team watching Card shit his pants on the Arkansas field ruined it since no one could believe in him after that. 

Yeah, Ewers is going to start. Card is the desperation backup. Offensive line needs to run block like fucking monsters and we need to ride Bijan and a hopefully improved physical defense to wins. Ewers isn't ready to put the team on his shoulders and sling it to wins yet. 

Well, if the coaches are counting sacks as incorrectly as you are then I see the evaluation problem very clearly.

Here, I'll list them, with timestamps:

27:57 - Sack. Dude is right in his face. Play shouldn't continue after that. No completed pass.

28:11 - Sack. Very next play. He would have gotten leveled.

29:56 - Sack. The defender who came around the backside was there and let up. No run for a short gain.

30:11 - Sack. The defender is right in his face, lets up. No touchdown pass.

31:02 - Sack. Defender would've destroyed him. No completed pass.

31:10 - Sack. This one's close but he probably would've been hit before the ball was thrown.

31:44 - Sack. No interception.

So out of 26 plays for Card, 7 were sacks, 2 were legit interceptions. How is this a competition again?

Edited by lazygringo
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Same thing with Murphy (unless he’s hurt) dude has a cannon but I don’t think I saw him throw one on a rope all night

4 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Same thing with Murphy (unless he’s hurt) dude has a cannon but I don’t think I saw him throw one on a rope all night

Unless there’s an issue with accuracy when the velocity is amped, I’d imagine it’s simply something that’s situational. If the intended target doesn’t have great hands, I could easily see a fastball from a talented arm increase the chances of a tip drill pick. I don’t mind a “floater” on the intermediate route if it makes the pass more catchable for the receiver (while still hitting them in stride). 

In a situation where the window is tight, or loft would allow defender time to make a play on the ball…….. well……let’s just hope our guy isn’t a moron when it’s live fire. A live armed shortstop has 90mph+ in his pocket at all times, but usually won’t use it unless necessary.

• Like 1