2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

46 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Yes, but I imagine he has never played in a game that hasn’t seemed easy to him. That doesn’t exactly make practice seem super serious to a young kid.

He got his ass whipped by Westlake. I doubt he thought that game was easy. 

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB War Room (cover your eyes @BurntOrange&White)

Hide contents

c. I don't expect Ewers to run from the competition, even if he's fully aware that he'll soon be taking second-team reps until further notice. One source on Thursday thought that this might simply delay his overall college plans by a year, but there was a good attitude about it all.

This is kinda my fear in a way. If Ewers doesn't win the job early in the year, what does Arch think? One redshirt year is fine but I doubt he wants 2.

Although 3 years of Ewers would obviously be nice so maybe I shouldn't worry about that..

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

Why are arguing about Card or Ewers.  We should be working on getting Arch reclassified and on campus ASAP.  That will solve all the QB issues.  Am I right?  Actually seeing Ewers struggles makes it even more clear why the Mannings are ok with Arch sitting his first year.  Just because these guys are super talented doesn’t mean they are ready to go day one.  

If you sit Arch for a year he will be in the same situation Ewers is in right now, the only thing being slightly better is he would be with the same team. 

20 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Those guys are all bad asses, individually. Not a single one of them knows what winning consistently feels like or looks like. Their opinion on what a winning QB in practice looks like means very little. Kyler Murray and Trevor Lawrence by all accounts don’t love football and their body language suggests they aren’t trying real hard. That’s clearly not a big deal because all those fuckers do is play the game at a high level. All I’m saying is this reporting has been pure bullshit and it’s embarrassing. 

Except it is a problem with Kyler. And Lawrence has done jack shit outside of his first two seasons at Clemson. 

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This is kinda my fear in a way. If Ewers doesn't win the job early in the year, what does Arch think? One redshirt year is fine but I doubt he wants 2.

Although 3 years of Ewers would obviously be nice so maybe I shouldn't worry about that..

I wouldn't spend one second worrying about that.

The odds of Ewers being here 3 years is probably close to zero.

The odds of Card being here 3 years to finish out his eligibility is also probably close to zero.

I highly doubt Sarkisian specifically told Arch "Quinn is only going to be here two years". Maybe it was inferred but coaches would be stupid to make guarantees like that. Stuff changes the football. The QB's on campus have a 2 and 3 year head start on Arch. This QB room is probably going to look totally different in a year.

Edited by Hookem2147

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He got his ass whipped by Westlake. I doubt he thought that game was easy. 

He actually put up 34 pts on Westlake. Not bad considering Westlake held 10 of 14 teams to single digits and only North Shore  (21 pts) and Southlake (34 pts)  scored more than 14 pts . Westlake offense beat the shit out of that Southlake defense. Quinn and the offense gave the Westlake defense all they could handle. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

Why are arguing about Card or Ewers.  We should be working on getting Arch reclassified and on campus ASAP.  That will solve all the QB issues.  Am I right?  Actually seeing Ewers struggles makes it even more clear why the Mannings are ok with Arch sitting his first year.  Just because these guys are super talented doesn’t mean they are ready to go day one.  

Yeah almost no QBs are ready day 1. I can't name one week 1 true freshman starting QB in the last 10 years, for any school. Lawrence was the closest because he split playing time early on but he didn't actually start until week 5. 

But lol, Arch isn't reclassifying this late and he'd have to graduate HS so it's not like he can just wake up and do it.

16 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

You think Arch would be scared of competition with a guy that might not be able to beat out Card at the moment?  And Ewers won't play here 3 years.  If he's good enough to play on Sundays he'll go do that and if he isn't he'll be backing up Arch, Card, Malik, or whoever.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Quinn and the offense gave the Westlake defense all they could handle. 

They really didn't. They were dusted by the 3Q. Yeah they put up some points in garbage time. 

Not saying Quinn didn't play well. He was okay. 23/39 with 2 picks and 3 TDs. But they got smoked. 

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Are you referring to the one that sucked and never improved?

I'm referring to the one that started game 1 of his true freshman year, enjoyed a fairly successful college career with nearly 11,600 yards and 87 TDs and is currently on a NFL depth chart.  

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They really didn't. They were dusted by the 3Q. Yeah they put up some points in garbage time. 

Not saying Quinn didn't play well. He was okay. 23/39 with 2 picks and 3 TDs. But they got smoked. 

It was 28-21 at half. Westlake defense gave up 21 pts once in a full game and you dont think 21 pts in the first half was good? They were dusted because the 45 pts the defense gave up in 3Qs. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

So the #1 recruit, aka “highest graded QB in the history of recruiting rankings”, Quinn Ewers, was unable to win the starting job at Ohio State, transfers, and now “rumors” are starting to leak that he might be on the verge of losing QB competition at Texas to a QB that was benched the season prior (as a freshman himself to be fair).  While it’s always possible such a player blooms when finally actually put into a game since we haven’t really seen this yet other than a pair of handoff snaps in garbage time at Ohio State, we’re starting to see a pattern established at two schools and under two different coaching staffs.  So now everyone on this board is struggling to make sense of it all from the outside based on leaks and glimpses of what might be going on inside the program’s inner circle. I would offer 2 things to consider as you attempt to make sense of it all: (1) How many highly-graded recruiting prospects have passed through The 40 Acres in the post-McCoy era that didn’t live up to the hype?, and (2) How many freshman QB’s did the program give up on, bench, etc that eventually transferred and found success elsewhere, even eventually being drafted into the pros?  I want to believe that <Insert 5-Star recruit here> offers the hope of immediately changing the decade-plus narrative of mediocrity around here just as much as the next guy, but there is a history here worth analyzing that would suggest instant gratification and immediate great expectations might be part of the problem.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 11
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He actually put up 34 pts on Westlake. Not bad considering Westlake held 10 of 14 teams to single digits and only North Shore  (21 pts) and Southlake (34 pts)  scored more than 14 pts . Westlake offense beat the shit out of that Southlake defense. Quinn and the offense gave the Westlake defense all they could handle. 

IMG-5740.jpg

Precious.jpg

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

So the #1 recruit, aka “highest graded QB in the history of recruiting rankings”, Quinn Ewers, was unable to win the starting job at Ohio State,

He was never winning or competing for the job at Ohio State. He enrolled one day before fall camp.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

He was never winning or competing for the job at Ohio State. He enrolled one day before fall camp.

It was later than that.   His first practice was 2/3 of the way through fall camp.  It would basically be like him having his first ever college practice at Texas today.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I am trying to get real emotional about this QB thing, just so I can fit in.  I still think it will be Ewers, but I dont care if it is Card in game 1. IF it is Card in game 1, we will find out by week 2 if Card is better. If he isnt, Ewers will start game 3. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Except it is a problem with Kyler. And Lawrence has done jack shit outside of his first two seasons at Clemson. 

Kyler just got a $230 million contract, he’s probably going to win a bunch of games this year on sheer talent. I watched him outrun a lot of fast nfl players this year and throw some darts around the football field. I hate him, tbh but he’s still fucking good. Lawrence had to live through urban Meyer’s terror reign which might be the worst heading coach spurt in the history of the nfl. He’s still their starter. They aren’t Tom Brady but they are doing just fine. Ewers has all the tools to be a great QB, and coupled with Sarks schemes there is no fucking way we should trot card out there for scientific purposes or because some “leaders” think Hudson works harder. 

18 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Quinn Ewers, was unable to win the starting job at Ohio State, transfers, and now “rumors” are starting to leak that he might be on the verge of losing QB competition at Texas to a QB that was benched the season prior (as a freshman himself to be fair).  While it’s always possible such a player blooms when finally actually put into a game since we haven’t really seen this yet other than a pair of handoff snaps in garbage time at Ohio State, we’re starting to see a pattern established at two schools and under two different coaching staffs.

It might be a little harsh to expect that a guy who enrolled in school 2 weeks before the first game to significantly challenge for the starting spot.  We might be getting a glimpse at what kind of QB he can become now, but his time at OSU is completely irrelevant. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

he finished 2nd in the Heisman voting his junior year, went 9-1 (only loss was in CFP), hit a career high in completion % and QB rating and then was drafted 1st overall?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

The QB stuff is having the exact effect Fat Fuck Ketch intended when he posted it.  Drama and Clicks.  I don't know how many times we need to see evidence that all that POS does is run a Longhorn TMZ Website.   

He eats a lot, too.

Ketchum is Texas' Fat Fucking Retard. We should probably quit claiming him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m all for the Jimmy Johnson method of roster management.

“Curvin Richards - which one is he again? -  ok, yeah, you, do you think it’s ok to fall asleep in a meeting?  Pack your shit up because we’re cutting you!  Yes, right now.  Let that be a lesson to everybody.  Everyone on this team must put in the work and be a professional.”

”And as for you, Michael Irvin and Erik Williams, staying out all night, missing the flight, and coming in late to this meeting … you’re going to need to take it easy at practice today.  Don’t worry, we will catch you up on what you missed later. And for fuck’s sake, will somebody get these men some coffee for their hangover?”

My memory tells me that Curvin was cut for fumbling during mop up duty.

I’ve never understood what people want from preseason practice-it’s a zero sum game. Your defense is dominating camp, great, but the offense sucks? Or you score 70 points and your defense sucks but you are a juggernaut playing in shootouts. Reading practice reports where d line and o line are “dominating” always makes me haz a confooz..

Just now, longhornmatt said:

It looks like you are correct.  Google tells me aggy John Roper was the one who caught cut on the spot for falling asleep.    Which just elevates Jimmy even higher in my esteem.

Your point is a good one though.  Also, Charles Haley used to jerk off during meetings.

40 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I'm referring to the one that started game 1 of his true freshman year, enjoyed a fairly successful college career with nearly 11,600 yards and 87 TDs and is currently on a NFL depth chart.  

Sam didn't start game 1. Buechele did. Maryland game.

• Hook 'Em 1

-Ewers did not get a real redshirt year at Ohio State. As was pointed out above, he arrived super late, was buried on the depth chart, got sick during the season and had one foot out the door by October. I doubt he was getting any real development both on the field and in the film room. He was 4th string.

-He is basically a true freshman right now learning a complex offense. Yes he got spring ball but the adjustment from going from a junior at Southlake Carroll to competing for the starting QB job at Texas is probably bigger than we anticipated.

-He will be fine. It might take some time, but he has the tools. Ignore all the bullshit twitter trolls from A&M and OU who will be coming out of hiding over the next week. He isn't going to the NFL tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah almost no QBs are ready day 1. I can't name one week 1 true freshman starting QB in the last 10 years, for any school. Lawrence was the closest because he split playing time early on but he didn't actually start until week 5.

this made me curious so i did some googling because the only guys i can think of in recent history were Shane Buechele and JT Daniels.

last year there was one, Seth Henigan at Memphis

2018 had JT Daniels at USC, Adrian Martinez at Nebraska, Art Sitkowski at Rutgers, Zack Annextad (walk on true freshman who was the announced week 1 starter for Minnestoa lol) and Sam Hartman at Wake.

same article has Shane Buechele in 2016. Josh Rosen in 2015. Jake Browning in 2015. Clay Thorson at Northwestern. Brad Kaaya at Miami. Jared Goff at Cal. Christian Hackenberg at Penn St.

Another article about tOSU (actually about Quinn Ewers) gave us Philip Rivers at NC State, Chad Hennee at Michigan.

RG3 at Baylor & Jake Fromm at UGA played in their teams first few series but didn't start the game.

guys who i think started as true freshmen, but not sure if they started game 1?

I think Hank Bachmeier may have started as a true freshman at Boise game 1? Tommy Frazier at Nebraska? Someone said Adam Weber at Minn? no clue who he is other than Minn was 1-11 with him as a starter lol. was Davis Webb game 1 starter at TTU or was that Baker Mayfield or someone else on that TTU team?

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2