Disco Elysium | Trippy RPG

Hozz

This game came out in 2019 on the PC and won a lot of audience and critical acclaim.  They made a 'final' version of it and ported it to the consoles last year while upgrading the PC version at the same time.  It had been on my to play list for a long time but I held off because it didn't seem like it would be my kind of game.  No traditional combat, almost more of a choose your own adventure type experience than anything.

I finally gave it a whirl recently and it's pretty good in a different from pretty much everything else way.  Closest comp to anything I have played would be the two Planescape games, but even those had combat in the traditional CRPG sense, this does not.

You play as an alcoholic hobo cop with amnesia in the middle of a murder investigation.  Because of the amnesia angle you can take the character in a lot of different directions.  It's sort of like if Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas were a video game in a completely made up setting with its own very detailed history and politics.

You have 4 attributes and each of those influences 6 skills.  The game is full of skill checks using 2d6 +/- any skill/circumstance/environment modifiers against a set number governed by relative difficulty.  But a roll of 2 is always fail and a 12 is always success.  It's also one of those games where failing a check can be 'good' and open up entirely new path ways and similarly a successful check can result in outcomes that you would not generally call a success. 

Extremely dialogue heavy (everything voice acted in the final cut version) so if that is not your thing, this is not your game at all.  Other than that, I'd say this is worth a flyer for anyone that likes decision driven story telling games.

• Hook 'Em 2

I played the Final Cut on Steam last year and I was completely blown away by it. Ended up as one of my favorite games of all-time. The writing was incredible to me -- humorous, thoughtful, and surprisingly moving at times.

I wish I could play it again for the first time.

Edited by ultimaton

28 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is it generally playable on the Switch? I like the mobility of it.

I don't have a Switch or any of the current console gens, you might watch a video before pulling the trigger.  I will say the game's style and graphics are not at all demanding.  No twitch gaming of any kind here, you just move your character and click stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, Hozz said:

Finished this a while back.  This game deserves all the high praise its gotten and then some.  It's really like nothing I've ever played.  Genuinely moving at times with an amazing 'script' and voice acting.  

Completely agree.

Just finished a playthru (PC "Final Cut" version) and only complaints would be some of the non-intuitive dialog options that impact later gameplay and the dice element (if I wanted to crap out on roll after roll, I'd go to Vegas).

Still, there are some very powerful moments, lots of hilarity, and many memorable characters, including your partner, Lt. Kitsuragi. Excellent game and I'm glad to see the studio rewarded.

• Hook 'Em 1